Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council Tenant, Housing Purchase Loan

Options
  • 01-08-2017 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My partner and I have been renting of the council for 4 years now.... when we began rentig we were unemployed however we both gained employment 2 years again and failed to inform the local council....will our rent increase be back dated????

Also we are going to apply for a housing purchase loan will this affect our application ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

yes it will be backdated.
    you will have to clear your arrears before they can change your tenancy - its possible they will accommodate if you agree a plan to repay these arrears 1st, then apply.

however i know someone who had to get a loan from credit union to clear arrears before they could make a change to tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 C1990

Thank you for your reply....

The arrears will probably be crazy money to pay back...
    We may be better off moving into private rented for a while before we apply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

C1990 wrote: »

You'll still have to pay the arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

C1990 wrote: »

So give the council house ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

if you look at market rates - you would still have a cheaper rent with council charges, + 100 a month repayment vs private rental market in just about every area i know of.

bite the bullet, drop in with 3 payslips and last 2 p60's each, and agree a repayment schedule.

I assume you are planning on handing back the key, and hoping they don't find out - but you could jeopardise any future plans because they will check your employment history if you apply to buy.

i recommend you do the right thing - for your own sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accommodation & Property

dudara

Advertisement