Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is "Job advertisement" discriminatory?

Options
  • 01-08-2017 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

In view of a sort of peace breaking out between the Dept and the ASTI (all teachers being treated equal etc since 10th June meeting) my notice was brought to a recent advert by an ETB that is bordering on the discriminatory in my view!

The position advertised was for a teacher of english and the small print along with it stated the applicant would have to have experience of teaching the new jc and be up to speed with all the new course entails.Considering that all ASTI members were not part-taking in any CPD for this course are they not being discriminated against? .....And wasting their time in applying for the post in the first instance.
    A TUI member is nailed on to get this job in view of the wording of the advert........when is all this discrimination ever going to end!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

ethical wrote: »
    In view of a sort of peace breaking out between the Dept and the ASTI (all teachers being treated equal etc since 10th June meeting) my notice was brought to a recent advert by an ETB that is bordering on the discriminatory in my view!

The position advertised was for a teacher of english and the small print along with it stated the applicant would have to have experience of teaching the new jc and be up to speed with all the new course entails.Considering that all ASTI members were not part-taking in any CPD for this course are they not being discriminated against? .....And wasting their time in applying for the post in the first instance.
    A TUI member is nailed on to get this job in view of the wording of the advert........when is all this discrimination ever going to end!

Well anyone teaching English would be up to speed with the new JC because every student submitted the reflection piece and they have also been teaching the course for the past three years now. So I don't think that it should put people off. I have seen more discriminatory advertisements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I think the ad in question specified that applicants needed to have completed all CPD for the new course.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

so the advert is discriminatory then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

You could say any job advertisement is discriminatory if you are basing it on the job description and requirements, e.g. job requires 5 years experience is discriminatory towards those that don't have it.

The below is where discrimination is illegal.
    From Citizens Info:
    Under equality legislation discrimination based on any one of the following distinct grounds is unlawful. These grounds are:
    Family status
    Sexual orientation
    Religion
    Age (does not apply to a person under 16)
    Disability
    Race
    Membership of the Traveller community

so the advert is discriminatory then!

It sure is but what can be done about it? It's obviously a ETB school or could be community school (unlikely they would state this) - who's going to take on an ETB? I would still apply.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Equal, you say? I'll have to chat to my post 2011 colleagues about this new found equality ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Considering that all ASTI members were not part-taking in any CPD for this course are they not being discriminated against?
    Sure, it's discrimination, but not in any illegal or improper way. It just might be discriminating between trade unions, but not on union membership.

They want someone that has the skills to do the jobs. They don't care how the candidate got them.
    when is all this discrimination ever going to end!
    When the candidate complies with the job description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Victor wrote: »
    Sure, it's discrimination, but not in any illegal or improper way. It just might be discriminating between trade unions, but not on union membership.

Many teachers can only join one trade union depending on the type of school in which they work. It's not a case that they can always just choose between the two. For many this would be a case of having been in ASTI and therefore not able to fulfil these requirements or having had to leave themselves with no union representation.

I agree though that it is discrimination but not illegal discrimination. I think any school limiting themselves in such a fashion under some notion that TUI teachers would be better able to the job following CPD would be deluded in the extreme and very foolish. I don't think for a moment that's the case here though - just another way to cut down applications when they probably already have someone in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I think the ad in question specified that applicants needed to have completed all CPD for the new course.

Has anyone been to a CPD session that has been useful at all in the last 5 years? It is all gimmicks. A read over the JCT website would be much better.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Has anyone been to a CPD session that has been useful at all in the last 5 years? It is all gimmicks. A read over the JCT website would be much better.

I did ... the PDST and my subject association. What I've heard about the JCT ones is that you leave more confused than when you entered. I'll come back in September when mine 'should' be starting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement