Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smoke alarms going off randomly

Options
  • 01-08-2017 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭

mains alarms - 3 smoke, 1 heat and 1 CO all wired together. They're going off randomly every few days.

I had the same problem last year and replaced them all (as they were an old model and I wasn't sure if I could replace just one even if I could isolate which one was faulty). But now it's started happening again - any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Realistically you should get an Electrician out to verify correct type and placement of alarms as well as ensuring no contamination. Also a CO alarm should never be interlinked to smoke alarms unless an indicator to show the source of the alarm had been fitted.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

loyatemu wrote: »
    mains alarms - 3 smoke, 1 heat and 1 CO all wired together. They're going off randomly every few days.

I had the same problem last year and replaced them all (as they were an old model and I wasn't sure if I could replace just one even if I could isolate which one was faulty). But now it's started happening again - any ideas?

Intermittent issues are always more difficult to solve.
    Am I correct in assuming that these detectors were originally selected and installed by an electrician?

The first task is to determine which device is alarming.
    If this was my home the next time the alarm went off I would unplug each of the smoke and heat detectors one at a time and plug it back in after a few seconds. When the detector that is going into alarm is unplugged the other devices will stop sounding. I would be wary of unplugging carbon monoxide detectors as the alarm may be genuine, this is an odorless, invisible and deadly gas.

Once the faulty detector is located replace it. A faulty carbon monoxide detector can be identified through a process of elimination i.e. unplug all other detectors and see if it is still alarming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Realistically you should get an Electrician out to verify correct type and placement of alarms as well as ensuring no contamination. Also a CO alarm should never be interlinked to smoke alarms unless an indicator to show the source of the alarm had been fitted.

I take a combination unit is ok? It has different tones for both.

Tuco88 wrote: »

I take a combination unit is ok? It has different tones for both.
    It should be if it makes it perfectly clear what the source of the alarm is, however I would need to check to verify that. Basically the reaction to a fire and to carbon monoxide is very different and therefore it is essential to know which caused the alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

checking the manuals, the alarm that is triggered will have a flashing light, the others won't, but the problem is the false alarm generally stops before we've had a chance to check them all. They might go off for 30 secs then stop.

The whole lot was originally installed by an electrician, I replaced the smoke/heat units myself last year using the existing wiring. I didn't change the CO alarm but I don't think that's the cause as changing the other units fixed the problem, at least until the last few weeks. I've hoovered all the units to see if dust or insects might be causing it.

• Advertisement

checking the manuals, the alarm that is triggered will have a flashing light, the others won't, but the problem is the false alarm generally stops before we've had a chance to check them all. They might go off for 30 secs then stop.

The whole lot was originally installed by an electrician, I replaced the smoke/heat units myself last year using the existing wiring. I didn't change the CO alarm but I don't think that's the cause as changing the other units fixed the problem, at least until the last few weeks. I've hoovered all the units to see if dust or insects might be causing it.

happened again this week but they were going off for long enough for me to identify which alarm had triggered it (as it had a red light flashing). So I've taken that one down, hopefully it's just one faulty unit.

So I've taken that one down
    If you have a perceived fault with a life safety device it absolutely is not the correct course of action to simply remove it.

If you have a perceived fault with a life safety device it absolutely is not the correct course of action to simply remove it.

thanks - there are 2 other smoke alarms on the same floor. I'll replace it if there are no more false alarms in the next couple of weeks.

thanks - there are 2 other smoke alarms on the same floor.
    Irrelevant.

Irrelevant.

I have a battery powered alarm I'll put in there temporarily - do you have an alarm in every room?

• Advertisement

Irrelevant.

I have a battery powered alarm I'll put in there temporarily - do you have an alarm in every room?
    It's not about having an alarm in every room. It's about realising that there are Regulations and indeed legislation governing the siting of smoke detectors and fire alarm systems. Your comments prove beyond any doubt that you are not competent to be messing around with these.

Incidentally, battery powered alarms and those not interlinked to the other detectors will not meet the requirements.

It's not about having an alarm in every room. It's about realising that there are Regulations and indeed legislation governing the siting of smoke detectors and fire alarm systems. Your comments prove beyond any doubt that you are not competent to be messing around with these.

Incidentally, battery powered alarms and those not interlinked to the other detectors will not meet the requirements.

I suspect I have more alarms than most houses and you're just being pedantic; which regulation am I violating in my 1975-built house?

Advertisement