Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway drivers must now pay for Sunday parking

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

Have to laugh at rural people complaining they can't go shopping in town at the weekend due to having to pay for parking. Plenty of cash for shopping but not for parking.
    We are a family living in the inner suburbs and it is a regular Sunday occurrence that our street is filled with cars left there from Saturday. Many are not picked up until Monday morning. The family members and home help who visit some elderly neighbours usually have a job finding parking. God help you if you have to go somewhere on Saturday afternoon as you may not get parking on your street again until Monday.

whineflu wrote: »
    Have to laugh at rural people complaining they can't go shopping in town at the weekend due to having to pay for parking. Plenty of cash for shopping but not for parking.
    We are a family living in the inner suburbs and it is a regular Sunday occurrence that our street is filled with cars left there from Saturday. Many are not picked up until Monday morning. The family members and home help who visit some elderly neighbours usually have a job finding parking. God help you if you have to go somewhere on Saturday afternoon as you may not get parking on your street again until Monday.

People coming in from the county have the exact same rights as you have to park on a public road. I suppose you would rather people dove home drunk than being sensible and parking up for the night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

People coming in from the county have the exact same rights as you have to park on a public road. I suppose you would rather people dove home drunk than being sensible and parking up for the night

Quite a slippery slope there; and very misrepresentative of the argument in question.

Maybe there should be a dedicated 'county drinkers' carpark. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

I have no problem with people diving home drunk as long as they are wearing life jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I'd disagree with that. Surely people who live there have a right to park near their house? Houses in the city often don't have driveways.

• Advertisement

Quite a slippery slope there; and very misrepresentative of the argument in question.

Maybe there should be a dedicated 'county drinkers' carpark. :pac:
    whineflu wrote: »
    I have no problem with people diving home drunk as long as they are wearing life jackets.

Isn't the car park in Salthill beside the Aquarium traditionally used for 'county drinkers'? In that case a life jacket might be needed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭ratracer

xckjoo wrote: »
    I'd disagree with that. Surely people who live there have a right to park near their house? Houses in the city often don't have driveways.

Is that only for Sunday's, or should it be every day of the week ( since this thread is about Sunday parking charges)

ratracer wrote: »
    Is that only for Sunday's, or should it be every day of the week ( since this thread is about Sunday parking charges)

Every day that you live there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nope. People who live there have far more rights than visitors from the next estate, the bogs of north Galway or the citiess of the USA.

If you want to drink, appoint a dessicated driver or go to a local pub. Or just park in a multi story carpark in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Don't have a link but according to the tribune they appear to be having doubts about it.

• Advertisement

Nope. People who live there have far more rights than visitors from the next estate, the bogs of north Galway or the citiess of the USA.

If you want to drink, appoint a dessicated driver or go to a local pub. Or just park in a multi story carpark in town.

This has been done to death on the motors forum. On a public road nobody has any more or less rights to a parking space if you live in an area or are from the other side of the county. They are public roads.

Appointing a designated driver is of no interest to many and everyone likes to hit town now and again even if they have a decent local. You must be having a laugh if you expect people to pay the large cost of parking in a multi story all night. Luckily however you are incorrect and people from outside are fully entitled to park on the public roads in the city the same as people who live there.
    Don't have a link but according to the tribune they appear to be having doubts about it.

There is uproar over this, it's being talked about every day at the races when you bump into people. I would not be surprised if there was a U turn on this as people are not one bit happy.

This has been done to death on the motors forum. On a public road nobody has any more or less rights to a parking space if you live in an area or are from the other side of the county. They are public roads.

Do you mean a legal right to use a parking spot? Because that's true. But when you live in the city you've a right to a yearly flat-rate parking permit for an area outside your house that someone from further afield doesn't. The legal right to use a parking spot hasn't changed, it's about paying for the use of that spot.
    Appointing a designated driver is of no interest to many and everyone likes to hit town now and again even if they have a decent local. You must be having a laugh if you expect people to pay the large cost of parking in a multi story all night. Luckily however you are incorrect and people from outside are fully entitled to park on the public roads in the city the same as people who live there.

Nobody is taking away your "right" to park your car. They're just asking you to pay for it now. You're still fully entitled to park in the same places.

What's wrong with the likes of the Dyke Road car park for long term parking? It's €4 a day.

There is uproar over this, it's being talked about every day at the races when you bump into people. I would not be surprised if there was a U turn on this as people are not one bit happy.
    People must have very little to be worried about :D

What's wrong with the likes of the Dyke Road car park for long term parking? It's €4 a day.

Same with the cathedral. Come in Saturday evening (post 6.30pm), chuck €4 into the machine and that should do you until 8.30am Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

People coming in from the county have the exact same rights as you have to park on a public road.
    First time I think I've ever agreed with something written by you. But I guess when someone holds views in complete contradiction with one another that's bound to happen sometime. According to Kieran Cold Cab residents have no entitlement to object to others parking on the road outside their house (legally correct) but the same residents are entitled to object to others walking on the footpath past their house (thread about cul de sacs in Galway). No logic except a blind belief that car ownership trumps all else.
    If having a driveway is important to someone then they should buy/rent a house with a driveway. If they instead choose to live in a city centre house without a driveway then they need to accept the tradeoff that parking is going to become more difficult and they aren't legally entitled to priority over any public parking spaces just because they live in the area.
    Another case of contradictory logic that can only be attributed to self-interest trumping common sense; sticking to the strict legal interpretation when it comes to cyclists on the prom but making up imaginary rights regarding parking outside your house. The only thing people living in an area are entitled to is to pay less for the use of parking spaces near their house. With regards to actual occupancy of a space their rights are indeed no different from the visitor from the next estate, the bogs of north Galway (what is it with you and snide culchie digs?) or the cities of the USA.

If having a driveway is important to someone then they should buy/rent a house with a driveway. If they instead choose to live in a city centre house without a driveway then they need to accept the tradeoff that parking is going to become more difficult and they aren't legally entitled to priority over any public parking spaces just because they live in the area.

Not saying that residents have priority over non-residents. Everyone that pays has equal priority. The difference is that residents can get a yearly parking permit, whereas non-residents have to pay-per-use. You actually make the exact same point in your response to Mrs Bumble.

The rest of your argument is nonsense. I could just as easily say that if access to the city was important to you then you should have chosen to live there. But that would be equally as inane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Seriously?

horses_zps1texcbhj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

I welcome this move. Saturday night drinkers should abandon their cars in the multi-purpose car parks, it's impossible to find on-street parking on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not saying that residents have priority over non-residents. Everyone that pays has equal priority. The difference is that residents can get a yearly parking permit, whereas non-residents have to pay-per-use.

Residents also get to stay all day, not just for two hours at a time. And they get to purchase visitors tickets which their friends can use, for 2.50 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Ardent wrote: »
    I welcome this move. Saturday night drinkers should abandon their cars in the multi-purpose car parks, it's impossible to find on-street parking on a Sunday.

Why cant the sunday drivers use the multi story car parks ( multi-purpose ?what other use have they other than car parks?)

Snap from the Cathedral carpark says paid parking between 13:00 and 18:00. Plenty of time for people out the night before to come get their cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Another nail in the coffin of already struggling businesses in the city. What sort of brain dead individuals are coming up with this stuff.

Not really, most of the "free" spots are gone by noon or not long after in my experience and the one has to use the commercial car parks.

Advertisement