Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 lr mod

Options
  • 01-08-2017 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

hi all,can a .22lr mod ware out?reason for asking is my atec (3 years old) seems louder the last few weeks,same gun,cz 455,same ammo,winine subs,gets a clean after about 200 rounds or so,i dont think im imagining it,any ideas?...ps had a sak before,swapped for the atec as it was smaller,and looked better on the 455.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Can't really answer you here, but here's two points -

'They' (nameless gurus) say it's near impossible to 'shoot' out a .22 barrel, now I'm not talking about countless numbers of .22 barrels that are destroyed by neglect but actually shooting the barrel beyond reasonable accuracy under normal use. So is it the same for a .22 mod?

In my own experience I own a one piece aluminium (?) .22 moderator that I have for 32 years and with the exception of running a worn bottle brush through it many years ago , never clean it. It still performs adequately if enough to pop two rabbits sitting next to each other one after the other.

There's a good thread here somewhere debating the merits of moderators and the effects of the topography, climate, surrounding structures and vegetation as well as relativity to the shooter and the target.

Failing this it might be the old fall back 'you broke it'

Interested to see the members views....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

sniperman wrote: »
    can a .22lr mod ware out

Nope. No way subs are ever going to stress a mod enough to put any wear into it.

Most likely topography as CM says, could also be humidity, maybe a batch variation in the ammo, or maybe it's just been uncharacteristically quiet where you're accustomed to shooting.

as inferred above, mod performance is very much a perceptual thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I wouldn't say wear out as s suppressor is not rifled, but through improper or lack of maintenance they can become damaged. The T8 has a reputation for rusting, but if they are properly cleaned and maintained they'll last a long time.

As for what you've heard well extremaz has it right as far as i'm concerned. The difference in heard report is subjective and with the difference in suppressors being so small (a few decibels between the best and worst) it really is a matter of what you think over what is actually happening.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Anybody out there got the Wildcat Panther mod.

Advertisement