Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot surface Requiring Insulation

• 01-08-2017 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

I have a glue nozzle which is 180C which I need to put some guarding or insulation around to stop people burning themselves if they touch it. You would burn yourself if you touch it today.

If I make the guard from steel/Ali and position it 10mm offset from the glue nozzle will it still be roasting hot. I guess a perspex guard would probably melt.

I cant use fiberglass insulation around it btw, ideally I would make the guard and coat the guard with something so it would not pick up any heat and then it would be perfect.

All advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Is the glue nozzle constantly discharging? What size is the nozzle and I would presume it is discharging downwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Bakelite? Not sure if it's suitable up to 180c

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

PTFE? easy to buy in rod and bar form. Machinable, and good insulation properties. first data sheet I looked at says operating temp up to 260 degres C

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Silicone rubber. It is good for 300 degrees C:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone_rubber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

aidanki wrote: »
    If I make the guard from steel/Ali and position it 10mm offset from the glue nozzle will it still be roasting hot. I guess a perspex guard would probably melt.

Maybe concentric aluminium tubes (with air gaps between the tubes) around the nozzle would work better than a single guard. Cuts down most of the radiated heat to the external surface, and the air gaps act as insulators. If it still isn't cool enough, stuff the air gaps with a better insulator.

• Advertisement
Advertisement