Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internally Routed Cables

Options
  • 01-08-2017 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

I'm about to replace my cables on a bike with internal cable routing for the first time.

I've watched a couple of videos showing tips on how to do this with various methods involving thread, hoovers and magnets.

However the method that looks best to me is by using Cable Inner Liner. You put it on your old cable, pull a length of it through your frame, then attach the new cable to the sheath and pull it back the ways.

So I'm wondering if anyone has tried this method, and where you got the cable liner from? Someone on YouTube suggested this stuff but I can only find it on American webshops.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

gaffmaster wrote: »
    I'm about to replace my cables on a bike with internal cable routing for the first time.

I've watched a couple of videos showing tips on how to do this with various methods involving thread, hoovers and magnets.

However the method that looks best to me is by using Cable Inner Liner. You put it on your old cable, pull a length of it through your frame, then attach the new cable to the sheath and pull it back the ways.

So I'm wondering if anyone has tried this method, and where you got the cable liner from? Someone on YouTube suggested this stuff but I can only find it on American webshops.

Cheers.

I got a length of gear cable from Halfords and had a go using that but didn't work, I eventually used patience and at times a zen method of calming myself down 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have tried this method on a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX.
    Worked a treat.
    The cable liner came with the bike.
    The liner, you reference should work without issue.
    I don't know where you'd get it locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

gaffmaster wrote: »
    Cable Inner Liner. You put it on your old cable, pull a length of it through your frame, then attach the new cable to the sheath and pull it back the ways.

So I'm wondering if anyone has tried this method, this stuff but I can only find it on American webshops.

Cheers.

yeah I Used those liners.
    do a great job and save a huge amount of hassle and patience.
    Frank in Richies in Swords gave me them.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

Eamonnator wrote: »

Excellent - I will be buying some of that!

I have used the thread and vacuum cleaner method in the past which much to my surprise actually worked. This is a much simpler and cleaner method however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

Solution is simple.  Bin the bike and go for Di2 with hydraulic disc brakes.  Never have to replace a cable again.  Only saying!.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I taped a bit of thread to the end of the old cable and pulled it back through. Put the new cable in the shifter, taped the thread to the new cable and pulled it through, took maybe 5 minutes in total and was almost easier than regular cable routing.

Advertisement