Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do I need to visit Vancover

Options
  • 01-08-2017 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

I am going to visit my son in Vancover in late september. I wonder can someone tell me if I can hire a car? how expensive it is?
    Does one need a visa to enter Canada for a short visit (9 days)

Any attractions that I should not miss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

anyone????

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭TheAbstracter

If you have an Irish passport you don't need a visa but you do need an eTA.
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta-start.asp?lnktrk=eta_required

If you don't have an Irish passport go here to find out what you need:
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

public transport is very quick and easy to use. don't miss Stanley Park, Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain.
    free bus operates from Vancouver to Capilano.
    https://www.capbridge.com/

thanks to all the replies. My son sadly, does not know everything.. like what I would need to book a car? (he does not drive) I am just not an experienced traveller so I may ask stupid questions.
    Travel Insurance? how much could that be?
    is it better to use a credit card or visa debit?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭manna452121

My son is living in Vancouver for the past 14 months and he uses public transport for everything.He get a monthly pass and that covers all transport.He has done some of the sights but prices can be high,eating out can also be pricey
    Enjoy the break,my plan is to head out next march for four weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Hi,

Assuming you have a full Irish licence, you should have no problem with hiring a car (unless you are under 25 or over 69... then there is sometimes a premium).

The rental car is most likely to be an automatic (feels weird for a few hours if your only experience is a typical Irish manual car). You could request a manual car, but it might be more.

The rental car company will probably try to sell you loads of additional insurance (to eliminate the excess liability). Check out their prices and compare with online offers. It gives you peace of mind in case of an accident.

Canadian speed limits are relatively low... some provinces are as low as 100kmph. We'd consider them slow. Some British Columbia motorways are 120 kph. Speeding is enforced by the police, so the driving style is normally polite and much better than Italy or Spain.

If you are only staying in Vancouver, you would survive on their buses. However, a car gives so much freedom outside the cities.

Get travel insurance. I know the VHI insure my entire family for €100 per year. A short holiday for a single traveller might be cheaper, like €30 or so.

It's best to have a credit card as North Americans aren't too fond of debit cards. It will definitely be a requirement of a car rental company and hotels.

Bring a power adapter as the sockets are different.

thank you so much Jimbob... that was exactly the sort of tips and info I needed ;-)

Advertisement