Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord keeps coming up

Options
  • 01-08-2017 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I was given my notice last week because LL has to move back in. I'm here 4 years so my notice is not up till October. I haven't heard from LL from one end of the year to the other however in the last week he is constantly ringing or texting me. He's knocking up every evening anywhere between 8 and 11pm. I have a 4 and 2 year old he is waking up every night. I've asked him not to come up I have rights i need 24 hours notice. He wants to store some of his stuff here as he has nowhere to go. I've said no because I would be liable if anything happened. I'm currently Sat with dark blankets over windows curtains closed lights off and bell disconnected just to avoid him coming up. I never had a problem over the years of him just popping up last minute and coming in so feel awkward saying stop now. I'm under a lot of pressure having to find somewhere to live and he is harassing me like the last thing I need is him coming up waking my babies every night. I don't have the strength to fight him but don't want to have to call the police.. Any ideas what I can do? Do I have to let him leave his stuff here? He's moving in before I've even moved out! We don't have any family we can go stay with (range from alcoholics to mental health issues) it's just me my partner and our kids. We shouldn't have to live like this. We have been perfect tenants never even had a friend over for dinner let alone parties or anything. My whole world has fallen apart.
    Help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Why do you say he is moving in before you're moving out? If your notice is until October then that's the notice and he has to wait for that time to go by.

Have you spoken to him about him waking the children? And said you'd like him to give you at least 24 hours notice before he comes round?

It sounds like he's trying to annoy you so much that you'll move out before your notice period ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Why do you say he is moving in before you're moving out? If your notice is until October then that's the notice and he has to wait for that time to go by.

Have you spoken to him about him waking the children? And said you'd like him to give you at least 24 hours notice before he comes round?

It sounds like he's trying to annoy you so much that you'll move out before your notice period ends.

I think she means by moving his stuff in she feels like he's moving in before she moves out

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kiwibear

I think she means by moving his stuff in she feels like he's moving in before she moves out

Yes that's what I meant. Like I haven't even left yet it's been a week and he's trying to get his stuff in. I feel bad for him he has nowhere to go but his homelessness is due to his own decisions he has made in life and nothing I did. I'm also thinking perhaps he's trying to push me out and I have told him if I find somewhere sooner I will be gone sooner but trying to find somewhere is the problem. I've told him I need notice etc but tbh he isn't very clued up as to things like this his wife would always have dealt with these things but she's no longer talking to him. He's clueless and thinks it's his place he can do what he likes.

He's actually just text me there asking how did I get on with the search today.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Maybe try citizens advice and ask them if they should be able to tell you your rights.

• Advertisement

I didn't reply to his text and he's ringing me now. It's 20 to 10 I'm in bed. So frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Kiwibear wrote: »
    I didn't reply to his text and he's ringing me now. It's 20 to 10 I'm in bed. So frustrating!

I think you need to straight up tell him your rights and to leave you alone. That is ridiculous!!!

I think you need to straight up tell him your rights and to leave you alone. That is ridiculous!!!

I text him this morning saying don't come up without 24hrs notice in fact my lease says I need to have 5 days written notice before entering the property. He is relentless. I think I will perhaps ring threshold and give them consent to act on my behalf and he can annoy them from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

OP there are people here who can post links that can tell you your rights, all I will suggest is that if you talk to your landlord, that you write down exactly what the law says, and what you are going to say to him, to avoid getting flustered and confused. Be non-confrontational and polite, but firm. In fairness, how would he feel if the situation were reversed and he was the one on the receiving end of all these visits and phone calls at night? He may own the property, but you have rights, and have given him no trouble up to now. He seems desperate and is acting inappropriately as your landlord (but with no real malice, if I'm reading correctly??) so once you have established where your rights lie and can point him to them written in law, hopefully he will lay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Any chance you can visit Citizens Information - they could give him a ring and educate him, and would be more professional about it than Threshold. (Keep them for later!)

Also - it's not your job, but you might save yourself some grief if you googled local self-storage companies and gave him the contact details for some. He can find other places to store his stuff, just needs to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

I despair of landlords like him, They give the rest of us a bad name. Agree with what has been said, but I would put it in writing for him and tell him to sling his hook. Self storage is indeed what he needs.

If you do manage to find a place earlier than end of lease, I would negotiate a deal with him to pay you compensation for moving.

It is you house until the lease is up and he has no right whatever to interfere as he is doing now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

It's harassment and under the law the landlord is obligated to give you peaceful and exclusive access to your home.

The RTB will take a dim view of him breaking this basic tenet of the RTA.

I suggest you refer a dispute, mediation costs €15 online.

Best of luck.

https://www.rtb.ie/dispute-resolution/dispute-resolution/dispute-resolution-process-faqs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

gizmo81 wrote: »
    IThe RTB will take a dim view of him breaking this basic tenet of the RTA.

I suggest you refer a dispute, mediation costs €15 online.

+1

I would start with the RTB too. As the relevant statutory body their 'advice' is likely to carry more wight with the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm guessing his marriage broke up, he's left (or been kicked out of) wherever he was living with the wife and is now desperate to get into this house.

You need to nip this in the bud now, OP, because it's a long time til October.

Print out the relevant sections of the legislation highlighting that you are entitled to peaceful enjoyment of your home and that visits must be notified. Allow him to come up the next time he asks, have your partner there and, together, inform him calmly that these are your rights and his constant contact is to stop immediately. You will not accept calls or texts after 8pm. And if he does not oblige, you will be contacting the Gardai and lodging a complaint with the RTB.

Hopefully that should put an end to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

It sounds as if he may be homeless, having lost his own home, which is why he is so anxious that you would find another place and why he wants to store his stuff there. I guess it is impossible for him to find a place for the few months between now and October.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

+1 on what the other posters have said. Nip this in the bud straight away.

Might be handy to write down the dates & times of his contacts, but he is waaayyyy out of line.

Fian wrote: »
    It sounds as if he may be homeless, having lost his own home, which is why he is so anxious that you would find another place and why he wants to store his stuff there. I guess it is impossible for him to find a place for the few months between now and October.

This may sound harsh but that's not the OPs problem nor should it be made their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

OP, Keep a log of all the times the LL is calling to your door unannounced, record it if possible, take screen shots of your call logs with times etc, take screen shots of your text messages too. It wont be long before the LL will start with the "MY HOME" crap. Sometimes LL's fail to realize or simply don't care about the agreement that they have entered into.

It is in no way your responsibility what his personal circumstance are, were or will be! Lodge a case with the RTB as you are being harassed in your own home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

What would the RTB do about it in the next 2 months, apart from say 'down with that sort of thing'?

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    What would the RTB do about it in the next 2 months, apart from say 'down with that sort of thing'?

One would hope, telephone mediation to tell the landlord to back off. Failing that an award to the tenant at the end of the dispute process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Just scream at him like a crazy person and tell him to fcuking stop harassing you.

Seriosly like, Nip these things in the bud.

Gebgbegb wrote: »

Just telling the landlord that a complaint has been/is being lodged with the RTB could work wonders.

Advertisement