Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40 - 50" Smart TV Recommendations

Options
  • 01-08-2017 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Looking to purchase a 40-50" Smart TV and don't know where to start. Any brands/models in particular you'd recommend? Not looking to break the bank.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭askU

Looking to purchase a 40-50" Smart TV and don't know where to start. Any brands/models in particular you'd recommend? Not looking to break the bank.

Budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Up to €800?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Good weekend to buy - Check out all the usual suspects. Powercity DID Argos etc.
    I always find Samsung good - particularly for Irish apps (RTE player etc.) However there are limitations to the apps available for "Smart TVs".
    Buying an "android" box (€50-80) will give more content.
    Walker from powercity (IMO) are good basic quality in the budget range.

Android TVs seem to be in a higher price range than your current budget (although you may find something on amazon etc.)

Argos have a Hisense & Hitachi 49" at good value.

Also check out richersounds.ie on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura

Can I jump in on this please?

Are the hisense TV's good and bright like the samsungs/sonys ?
    I had a look at LG's cos they were a good price but the picture was flat compared to the samsungs....IMHO of course...

Theres a nice price on a 43in UHD Hisense in Argos there.. so was just wonderin if anyone had seen one in the flesh...

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭oodles19

Bravobabe wrote: »
    Good weekend to buy - Check out all the usual suspects. Powercity DID Argos etc.
    I always find Samsung good - particularly for Irish apps (RTE player etc.) However there are limitations to the apps available for "Smart TVs".
    Buying an "android" box (€50-80) will give more content.
    Walker from powercity (IMO) are good basic quality in the budget range.

Android TVs seem to be in a higher price range than your current budget (although you may find something on amazon etc.)

Argos have a Hisense & Hitachi 49" at good value.

Also check out richersounds.ie on boards

Argos would have Phillips smart TV's with android TV/Playstore within his budget though?

• Advertisement

Ohh right.. and have they a decent screen?
    I was thinkin I'd get an android box for the Kodi stuff etc anyway.
    I read that a lot of the android tv's are underpowered and sluggish.. not so?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Androids are limited enough. Kodi YouTube and Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭oodles19

vidapura wrote: »
    Ohh right.. and have they a decent screen?
    I was thinkin I'd get an android box for the Kodi stuff etc anyway.
    I read that a lot of the android tv's are underpowered and sluggish.. not so?

I dunno honestly, I'm thinking of getting one of these for my dad, and to have matters as simple as possible (one remote)

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5288906/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780832%7CTelevisions%7C14419667.htm

I'm not seein anything on that link..
    oodles19 wrote: »
    I dunno honestly, I'm thinking of getting one of these for my dad, and to have matters as simple as possible (one remote)

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5288906/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780832%7CTelevisions%7C14419667.htm

Hi - just check the refresh/motion rates?
    the higher the better

• Advertisement

Androids are limited enough. Kodi YouTube and Netflix.

IMO Android boxes are better than the options available on Smart TVs. Easier install apps, update and obviously portable.
    I have my Samsung's about 3+ years, so they may be not be as many functions as current TVs, but I find the android box a lot more flexible and easier to install useful apps (much of the apps stuff that comes with the TVs is "absolute sh1t€"

Advertisement