Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow break

Options
  • 01-08-2017 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi We are looking at spending 2 or 3 nights in Wicklow. We intend to play Druids Glen first day then do some walking , sight seeing on day 2 . Then we would play another course on day 3 , we are thinking wooden bridge or Bunclody ?
    We would like to base ourselves in a nice town or Village with a few pubs and places to eat. Any recommendations for a nice scenic place with nice accommodation. We will be heading to Wexford to stay with friends after 3 nights in Wicklow. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hack12

Places to stay:
    Aughrim or Arklow if playing Woodenbridge. Aughrim, Lawless Hotel (budget) or Brooklodge (5 star). Arklow has the Arklow Bay Hotel and a few guest houses. A lot of people like the European Golf Course (Links Course)

Walks:
    Do the Pier Gate (Lough Tay) to Lough Dan walk. Beautiful scenary!!!
    Also the Spink at Glendalough.

There is so much to do and nothing is not worth a visit. visitwicklow.ie is a good source of information

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

Seafield just outside arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

shane. wrote: »
    Seafield just outside arklow

Outside Arklow as in Gorey Co Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Day 1 stay in Druids Glen and play there.
    Day 2 stay in Powerscourt Hotel and use as base for Greystones, Enniskerry, Powercourt, Wicklow mountains.
    Day 3 play the European Club or Bunclody

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭coleen

Plastik wrote: »
    Day 1 stay in Druids Glen and play there.
    Day 2 stay in Powerscourt Hotel and use as base for Greystones, Enniskerry, Powercourt, Wicklow mountains.
    Day 3 play the European Club or Bunclody

Hi both Druids Glen and Powerscourt accommodation is a bit out of my budget so looking at somewhere that would have nice mid priced place to stay with a few pubs and nice food near by. I am leaning towards Aughrim.
    I will check our golf at the European Club Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

If you want a couple of pubs, then Aughrim is grand,

21/25

coleen wrote: »
    Hi both Druids Glen and Powerscourt accommodation is a bit out of my budget so looking at somewhere that would have nice mid priced place to stay with a few pubs and nice food near by. I am leaning towards Aughrim.
    I will check our golf at the European Club Thanks

Of course it is, ridiculous suggestions being two of the most expensive hotels in Wicklow.

Don't forget to check Air BnB. You can get some great options there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Powerscourt Arms in Enniskerry village: http://www.powerscourtarms.com/
    Summerhill House a short walk outside the village, beside the entrance to Powerscourt: http://www.summerhillhousehotel.com/

These should be a lot cheaper than the other options mentioned

murpho999 wrote: »
    Of course it is, ridiculous suggestions being two of the most expensive hotels in Wicklow.

Don't forget to check Air BnB. You can get some great options there.

:rolleyes:

Ridiculous how? There is no mention of budget or price point in the OP, nor any condescending remarks to a different 5* suggestion in the first reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

In fairness there was no budget in the OP and if you're playing Golf it is kind of known as a rich person's game, I see no problem suggesting the 5 star hotels especially if they have courses attached.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

Ridiculous how? There is no mention of budget or price point in the OP, nor any condescending remarks to a different 5* suggestion in the first reply.

The OP states they'd like to stay in a village/area with pubs and restaurants in the area and not the golf courses themselves.

Fair enough they gave no budget indication but why pick two expensive hotels and no alternative?

Also, what condescending remarks were made?

In fairness there was no budget in the OP and if you're playing Golf it is kind of known as a rich person's game, I see no problem suggesting the 5 star hotels especially if they have courses attached.

The days of Golf being just for rich people are thankfully gone.

murpho999 wrote: »
    The OP states they'd like to stay in a village/area with pubs and restaurants in the area and not the golf courses themselves.

Fair enough they gave no budget indication but why pick two expensive hotels and no alternative?

Also, what condescending remarks were made?+

The days of Golf being just for rich people are thankfully gone.

At this stage we have:

- Lawless Hotel
    - The Brooklodge
    - The Arklow Bay
    - Seafield
    - Druids Glen
    - Powerscourt
    - Powerscourt Arms
    - The Summerhill

Do you have any suggestions other than a very vague "why not look at AirB&B"? Maybe our suggestions to the OP should have simply been "check out Booking.com" :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mod note:
    The bickering ends now. No more snide remarks please.

Thank you.

At this stage we have:

- Lawless Hotel
    - The Brooklodge
    - The Arklow Bay
    - Seafield
    - Druids Glen
    - Powerscourt
    - Powerscourt Arms
    - The Summerhill

Do you have any suggestions other than a very vague "why not look at AirB&B"? Maybe our suggestions to the OP should have simply been "check out Booking.com" :rolleyes:

Mods instructions noted but I just want to clarify that I suggested Air BNB as it offers a completely different range of accommodation than any standard hotel website such as Booking.com and Trivago.

Advertisement