Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to provide tenants for a new letting?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

Rent unfurnished. The first property I let out had over 165 items on the inventory. I then had to count the 165 items again when they moved out 6 months later to go back to Europe.

I've since gone unfurnished on any lettings and won't be going back. Can depend of course on the demographic you rent to. I let mostly to families who have picked up alot of stuff over the years and seem delighted to put their own stamp on the houses. I'd imagine students won't have the same enthusiasm though having to spend their weekends and beer money in IKEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Would advise renting unfurnished. After renting in Toronto, I'll say it's the way forward. Most beds in rented accommodation were crap. Sure, there'll always be some demand for furnished, but going forward any landlord that gets burnt by a tenant should go unfurnished, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I always expected cutlery, pots and pans, plates etc to be provided (and they always were. I also have a friend who moved into a newly refurbished property recently and they were very annoyed to discover they have to go out and buy all this type of stuff as they expected it to be provided as it always had before.

I think what you normally get when you move into a property is what other tenants left behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Graham wrote: »
    I'd agree, it's fairly normal for such items to be provided.

I don't know why, habit maybe.

In my experience it's completely unnecessary as one of the first things a tenant does is take the inevitably mismatched rag-tag bunch of fairly depressing chipped crockery, bent forks, burnt saucepans, tesco value glassware and associated detritus and put it in a box somewhere never to see the light of day until moving out day when the landlord will pay an agent to come and count it for the inventory!

This is exactly what we did in all our rentals. Go unfurnished OP. You are also more likely to get tenants in it for the long haul or saving towards their own house. Additionally if they are providing their own furtniture/cutlery etc they are way more likely to respect the place and protect your house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭dennyk

Anecdotally, my landlady provided a complete set of kitchen goods, plates, silverware, cookware, etc., including some stuff (toaster, pots and pans, and some various kitchen gadgets) new in box. Was quite handy for me, as I'd moved here from the US and didn't bother bringing anything like that with me (had my own over there, of course, but nothing worth shipping over). I could see how it might be a bit annoying to a tenant who already has their own collection of stuff and now has to figure out where to store one set or the other, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

As a tenant, I'd agree with unfurnished. We are a family with two kids and have our own large and small kitchen appliances (not all of them, but most of them), we have our own table and chairs, our own beds and wardrobes, our own TV stand and TV, our own couch etc. Moving into a furnished place would be a nightmare for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    As a tenant, I'd agree with unfurnished. We are a family with two kids and have our own large and small kitchen appliances (not all of them, but most of them), we have our own table and chairs, our own beds and wardrobes, our own TV stand and TV, our own couch etc. Moving into a furnished place would be a nightmare for us!

Legislation states that a landlord must supply white goods. So you might have to put yours into storage even if you got unfurnished

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Legislation states that a landlord must supply white goods. So you might have to put yours into storage even if you got unfurnished

Depends on what they consider 'small' as opposed to 'large' kitchen appliances to be :)

The list is spelt out in the Regulation though- and its not open to negotiation- a landlord is legally obligated to follow it to the letter of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Yeah, that's why we've not bought a cooker or washing machine. We have our own fridge but it's one of those little undercounter ones so it's easy to store away or use it as additional storage if we're having parties or over Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

OP are you letting to students? If so, furnish it with basic, medium-quality furniture, kitchenware and appliances, bought on sale if possible. They'll probably be arriving with just a rucksack and books, not a three-piece suite! Same if you are letting to young professionals, or on a room-by-room basis. I would think that an individual looking to rent only one room is hardly likely to have a houseful of furniture and appliances.

Are you renting to a family? If so, I would give them the option of unfurnished, or furnished to a basic but attractive standard - it will be someone's home, after all. If they have no furniture, they will appreciate having the basics to be getting on with. If they have all their own stuff, you won't have to spend the extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    OP are you letting to students? If so, furnish it with basic, medium-quality furniture, kitchenware and appliances, bought on sale if possible. They'll probably be arriving with just a rucksack and books, not a three-piece suite! Same if you are letting to young professionals, or on a room-by-room basis. I would think that an individual looking to rent only one room is hardly likely to have a houseful of furniture and appliances.

Are you renting to a family? If so, I would give them the option of unfurnished, or furnished to a basic but attractive standard - it will be someone's home, after all. If they have no furniture, they will appreciate having the basics to be getting on with. If they have all their own stuff, you won't have to spend the extra.

Targetting familys or middle ages professionals.

Thanks for all your advice guys. I'll try to rent unfurnished and see how I get on

Rounders

Advertisement