Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 air pollution

Options
  • 01-08-2017 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi All, I am thinking of purchasing a property in Dublin. Aprox.150 meters from the M50. Should i be concerned about air pollution? I have a couple of young kids who would be outdoors most of the time.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If it were me, I'd be more conscious of the noise pollution from the M50. I wouldn't say there's much air pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kbannon wrote: »
    If it were me, I'd be more conscious of the noise pollution from the M50. I wouldn't say there's much air pollution.

Thousands of cold diesel engines sitting pumping out NOx and fine soot particles for hours every day. Yes there's not much pollution from the biggest car park in the country.

BTW noise is also a pollution and while you can get used to anything I was stopped at the petrol station in Kilmacanogue a while ago and was shocked at how noise the traffic was making, only noticed how bad it was when there was no traffic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Del2005 wrote: »
    Thousands of cold diesel engines sitting pumping out NOx and fine soot particles for hours every day. Yes there's not much pollution from the biggest car park in the country.
    The EPA air quality monitoring site at the M3/M50 interchange would dispute your cynicism...
    http://www.epa.ie/air/quality/data/blc/

(I dont know if there are any other sites - that one came first on a Google search)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,649 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With diesel emissions I wouldn't let them outside at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

You have a bigger chance of getting killed by a kick from a donkey than 'air-pollution' caused by motor engines.
    Its a scam perpetrated by a bunch of headbangers with a vested interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

washman3 wrote: »
    You have a bigger chance of getting killed by a kick from a donkey than 'air-pollution' caused by motor engines.
    Its a scam perpetrated by a bunch of headbangers with a vested interest.
    Vested interests like people with asthma?

About 1,200 people die from air pollution in Ireland every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

Noise will be the real issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Jesh1

I am not too concerned about the noise, i have been at the house a few times and there is faint tyre noise alright. I have spoken to locals and they said noise is not an issue. My real concern is air pollution. We generally have good air quality in Ireland due to our climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kbannon wrote: »
    The EPA air quality monitoring site at the M3/M50 interchange would dispute your cynicism...
    http://www.epa.ie/air/quality/data/blc/

(I dont know if there are any other sites - that one came first on a Google search)

While not at a dangerous level it's higher than I'd like to live beside. Don't forget that this is the stuff that kills now not maybe in a few years.

http://www.epa.ie/air/quality/data/cm/pm/#d.en.43501

http://www.epa.ie/air/quality/data/dl/gas/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Victor wrote: »
    Vested interests like people with asthma?

About 1,200 people die from air pollution in Ireland every year.

So by that logic about 25,000 people died from air pollution over the last 20 years, yet I didn't know a single one of them.
    But I know dozens that died of suicide,smoking and alcohol abuse.
    Pull the other one mate....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

So by that logic about 25,000 people died from air pollution over the last 20 years, yet I didn't know a single one of them.

I think when these kinds of statistics come up it's an equivalent measure. No one dies exclusively of air pollution but it may shorten everyone's lives by a measurable amount which is then calculated as an equivalent death rate per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Del2005 wrote: »
    Don't forget that this is the stuff that kills now not maybe in a few years.

Spot on. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it won't affect your health, it's the longer term I'd be worried about. I have children too and this would be a worry for me.

With regards to the noise, is it any worse when you're sitting in your garden? When finer weather does actually happen you might like to use your garden to sit out in, eat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

We may as well clear up a few other causes of death while on the subject. Can you list out any other diseases of which you don't know anyone who died? Just so we can stop wasting time and money researching them.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The UK did studies on the effect of air pollution on schools in congested areas. You'd need to look at those.

If you've ever lived near a lot of traffic you'll see the effect on windows and curtains. I would always choose not to live near that if I have a choice. You don't always have a choice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

Noise would drive me crazy ,looked at a few houses near motorways and couldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    Noise would drive me crazy ,looked at a few houses near motorways and couldn't do it.
    You get used to it. I lived less than 100m away from the M6 in England for years and just didn't notice it in the end and slept right through. OTOH I had trouble sleeping when on holiday when it was "too quiet"!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

Alun wrote: »
    REFLINE1 wrote: »
    You get used to it. I lived less than 100m away from the M6 in England for years and just didn't notice it in the end and slept right through. OTOH I had trouble sleeping when on holiday when it was "too quiet"!
    ya i assume you would eventually, grew up in a rural area so it just really gets to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The victims die from asthma, lung cancer and heart diseases and many will be older.

Advertisement