Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vomiting after bottles!!!

Options
  • 01-08-2017 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi, my nearly 7 Week old son has been vomiting after hus bottles, maybe every second bottle he seems to vomit half if not most of it up... He wasn't always this way.
    He was born by c section due to been breech so was a bit mucusy at beginning not that stopped.
    I don't remember my other kids getting sick like this....
    He gets a bit agitated sometimes in the evening for little while, he is good to get his wind up so don't think it's that.
    Anyone else experience this?
    Have check up in couple days so will ask doctor.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

How fast is he drinking? Does slowing the bottle down help? Or keeping him upright afterwards? My lad had reflux and we had to give the bottle in 1-2oz spurts at that age and keep him upright for a good half hour after the bottle or it would all come back up. The sling was invaluable

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Maybe pyloric stenosis? Started happening my son a few days before his 6 week check up. Dr said it might be that sent me to hospital, at that stage it was only night feed it would happen. Hospital said no maybe reflux. 2 weeks of vomiting after every bottle, had booked appointment with District nurse as was convinced he had lost weight, but that morning he wasn't himself so rang ambulance... After an ultrasound scan it was a textbook pyloric stenosis case... He was 24 hrs on a drip then keyhole surgery. They say first born males are most likely to get it and it usually starts to present at 6 weeks.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Is he drinking the bottles very fast? My son would absolutely neck the bottles like someone skulling a pint and would projectile vomit the whole lot out. He only ever did it with bottles (as opposed to boob) but he did it regardless of whether it was formula or breast milk. We changed to the slowest flow teat and it kept happening, so we ended up having to do the bottle in stages - let him drink a quarter, then stop and wind and wait a minute or two, then the next quarter, then stop/wind/wait, and so on. That solved the problem for us, but it would be no harm to mention it to the GP anyway in case it's something like reflux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Madam Oblong

Look into paced bottle feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

Thank u all for your replies, I always only feed him half the bottle then wind and then the rest to give him break during it.... I haven't changed the teats either there the same from day one... I'll see what the doctor says tomo when I say it to her.. Hopefully it's not that pylori stenosis.....
    Thank u all again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Query lactose intolerance as well similar symptoms actually my two girls have it

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jbubs

Have you asked about reflux. My 2 had it, would puke after every single bottle.
    It's easily treated though.
    For one of my sons I just switched him to the anti reflux formula, it's a lot thicker so would stay down easier, will need to switch to size 3 teats though.
    My other son is on losec still, he would be very uncomfortable by evening but this always helps

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

query it with your PHN.
    It could be trapped wind or something more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Had it with my first.... ended up having to wind her before the bottle, every oz during the bottle and at the end. It didn't fully clear up but definitely helped, and used Infacol.
    One thing someone told me was to pour 1oz of formula from the bottle onto the floor sometime, and you realize that actually they're not always getting sick as much as you'd think. The 1oz poured out looked huge! So might be worth doing that just to put your mind at ease if maybe it's not as bad as it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

We had similar with ours. After multiple hospital visits an old consultant at 2am in the kids ward ordered the nurse to get a thick version of SMA formula... We never looked back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Would be worth trying paced bottle feeding, just the change in the angle of the bottle can help.

My first son did this, turned out to be reflux and all was sorted with a sachet of gaviscon powder in his bottles and a small baby dose of zantac (all prescribed obviously!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Change to doctor brown bottles if you're not already using them. Much less wind

Advertisement