Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scratch on carbon fork

Options
  • 01-08-2017 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Had my bike on a rack the other day and noticed when I was cleaning her that there's a scratch on the fork. I've attached a picture.

Do I need to do anything here? Does it need to be fixed or covered up or anything? New to carbon...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I Don't think it would cause any future problems but I'd be filling the hole with superglue or epoxy resin and keeping an eye on it for a while. If you notice the glue/resin cracking then it means the fork could be flexing at that point but I don't honestly believe it'll do any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've used the method in post 6 in the link below to repair a minor scratch on a carbon frame. The result wasn't perfect but it's unnoticeable from over a meter away. I didn't have multiple colours to deal with so your repair might be a bit more difficult.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/components-wrenching/fixing-carbon-fiber-chips-207336.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Id give Keith in Carbontec or someone similar a shout about that , if only for a piece of mind .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sullivlo wrote: »
    ...Do I need to do anything here? ...
    Fix your front skewer - it's on the wrong way! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

sullivlo wrote: »
    Do I need to do anything here?

Cry! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Fix your front skewer - it's on the wrong way! :)

:o

C3PO wrote: »
    Cry! :mad:

It's on the list :(

Called into LBS with the pic of the bike. He said he'll need to see it in real life so I'll drop it around later or tomorrow for him to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Fix your front skewer - it's on the wrong way!

Skewer nazi! You and your GCN boyz.... :mad:

:p:D

Brought it for the bikeshop to look at. He said it'll be grand, just put a bit of clear nail varnish on it to prevent the paint from chipping. The scratch was from rubbing rather than impact.

But he also said that my bike likely falls under the recent bianchi fork recall so I might be getting a new fork :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Alek wrote: »
    Skewer nazi! You and your GCN boyz.... :mad:

:p:D

Return the Alek Wattage Bazooka! :pac:

Also, Sullivlo, just in case. You need a new bike :p

*runs*

• Advertisement
Advertisement