Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre Recommendations?

Options
  • 01-08-2017 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some tyre recommendations. I initially started out with some Specialized Armadillo and then on my next bike had Schwalbe Durano Plus E Tape. Can't fault either brand as they were both very good in my experience in terms of puncture resistance.

So the Schwalbe Durano Plus E Tape on the rear is getting a little worn and will need to be replaced soon.

I am not sure if they are still even available or what could people recommend? I am ideally looking for a good level of puncture protection as I just use the bike for commuting purposes each day. From memory I spent a decent bit on the Schwalbe Durano Plus E Tapes from my LBS so if I could get something a little cheaper and equally as good that would be perfect. Any recommendations?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

After this morning I am looking for new tyres myself,   I mainly commute and do some club spins,   I am going for the Continental GP 4000, my only decision is 25 or 28 width.   My current tyres are balder than me.

Cionn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I love my conti GP4000 sii, but for my commuter I still use Marathon Plus. Not sure I'd brave the bike lanes on my commute on the conti's tbh. Last time I research, I thought the Durano's were the best balance between the two options?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I use GP4000II 28mm for everything, including daily 20km of Dublin city centre, and hardly ever get any punctures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

only option for commuting (for me anyway)

https://www.dlbcycles.ie/dlbcycles-blog/2015/5/25/tannus-tyres-the-solid-tyre-revolution

Shortly bringing out a 700 x 25c as well I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

Cionn wrote: »
    After this morning I am looking for new tyres myself,   I mainly commute and do some club spins,   I am going for the Continental GP 4000, my only decision is 25 or 28 width.   My current tyres are balder than me.

Cionn

cracker lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Durano Plus's have been fantastic on my commuter - maybe a little slow compared to the GP 4000s on my other bikes but completely puncture free!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Davkie

Have a look here , gives good comparison showing rolling & puncture resistance ratings.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Biketourer

I would also recommend marathon plus. Good puncture resistance and roll well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    only option for commuting (for me anyway)

https://www.dlbcycles.ie/dlbcycles-blog/2015/5/25/tannus-tyres-the-solid-tyre-revolution

Shortly bringing out a 700 x 25c as well I believe.
    Is there a catch with these? They seem too good to be true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Is there a catch with these? They seem too good to be true?

Well there are a few differences with Tannus tyres.

1. Probably expensive €70 each including fitting. Although if you add up the price of tyre/tube/rim tape/spare tubes it may not be as much as one would think.

2. Slightly more uncomfortable in that there is not much give in them. Not ideal for long (80km + trips) although I did 100kms on them once with no major issues.

3. Slightly higher rolling resistance but barely noticeable. Probably worsens slightly when they wear down as they flatten out a bit. Probably more noticeable at higher speeds (30km +)

4. Slightly heavier but when you factor in not having to carry spare tubes/tyre levers/pump/cO2 ect overall bike is lighter.

5. If you damage a rim/break a spoke or want to move tyre to a different wheel you would need to remove and reinstall tyre. The shop provide a tool but you would need spare pins as well (cheap enough) I haven't done it but youtube video available.

I have them on my commuting bike since last October so have about 7000kms on them. I would anticipate getting 10,000kms from them so will change them again Jan/Feb 2018.

20kms each way 5 days a week but never use them for longer distance/touring ect.

edit. Forgot to say that grip in the wet is very good. They look like they should be slippy but I have found the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Biketourer wrote: »
    I would also recommend marathon plus. Good puncture resistance and roll well.

so would I, never had a puncture with them, had a fair few with gatorskins. I was completely reckless about where I cycled too, in lanes full of glass etc.

They can be pricey, cheapest I saw them was on the german sites. But you have to factor in they are a much higher lifespan. Someone in work had me examine their's as she was convinced they should have been worn out with the mileage they had seen.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/tire_wear
    As a general guide, you can expect a tire mileage of 2000 to 5000 km from Schwalbe standard tires. The tires of the Marathon family usually last between 6000 and 12000 km. With the light Marathon Racer and Marathon Supreme, the performance is a little lower (approx. 5000 to 9000 km). The Marathon Plus is outstanding with its extremely high mileage of often much more than 10000 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    ...I have them on my commuting bike since last October so have about 7000kms on them. I would anticipate getting 10,000kms from them so will change them again Jan/Feb 2018....
    I also have Tannus tyres on my commuter. They showed very little sign of wear for ages but lately the rear has noticeably 'squared off'. There's about 7,000kms on them. Great peace of mind all the same.

Advertisement