Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Thread Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

• 02-08-2017 12:03am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Same rule as the old thread…

Post edited by CramCycle on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    New Thread, same rules as old thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was driving through oldtown at 8:30pm this evening, two people out on bikes on an unlit road, but it was OK because they were both wearing builders vests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

I posted this yesterday in another thread ...
    This morning on my cycle commute I was at a red light (T junction).
    Traffic was coming from the left and they had a green light.
    The light turned red for them and a car broke it. (light was now green for us)
    Then another car went through the red light.
    A third vehicle (van) went to go through the red light.
    I moved my bike forward and he stopped, gave me the finger, then noticed the helmet camera and was all apologies.

I moved my bike forward in such a way that he'd 'only' hit my front wheel.
    That's what I had to think when I did it.

The roads are getting worse around Dublin.

And lucky me I'd an almost identical incident this morning.
    I come up to the red light at the T junction at Kinsealy on the Malahide Road.
    Light turns red for the people coming onto the Malahide Road and then green for us.
    Three cars break the red. The third is a taxi driver.

I catch up to him and the conversation goes
    "You were the third car to break the red"
    "Great you can count. Tell the first two that broke it"
    "Ive camera footage that I'll be sending to the gardai"
    "Sure you break reds all the time"

So the logic is
    - other motorists break reds so its ok
    - cyclists break reds so its ok.

The lack of enforcement and gardai presence is reaching new levels.

Its like a free-for-all out there.

had something vaguely similar today; was filtering up the inside in slow moving traffic going through portmarnock, and suspect as i was passing a car, that the driver of that car gave a motorist pulling out from a side road, the signal to pull out; but without allowing for my presence.
    the chap in the peugeot started to pull out (have had a run of issues with peugeot drivers recently), but even when he copped me, didn't make any sign of stopping to allow for me. i got a head on me - i decided he wasn't going to play that game - and pulled out around in front of him. he passed me about 50 or 100m later, and for reasons i will only speculate, as he approached a red light another few metres further on, pulled in hard to the kerb to prevent me passing. i just went around him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

He wanted you to travel through the junction and then do a U-turn and taking a left rather than doing a straight-forwward right? :confused:
    He sounds like a right cretin!
    (and a dangerous one at that!)

• Advertisement

skallywag wrote: »
    That said, if it had been an electric car coming at 60 kph (and there are more and more of them around where I live) there is no way they would have heard it either I would say.
    i suspect at 60km/h, the tyre noise would be louder than a petrold/diesel car engine?

Strobing wrote: »
    What annoys me more is the sheer ignorance and aggressiveness some taxi drivers exhibit on the roads to other users.
    You're obviously in the wrong because they're "professional" drivers!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I didn't notice the new thread. /waves

I had a punishment pass coming up through Lucan village on Monday evening. Unfortunately my GoPro battery had died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Had a close call last night coming down the Tallaght bypass , just through the junction of the road that goes to Lucan, a Suv coming on to the Tallaght bypass on my left, they have a turning lane before they can safely come out on to the Bypass, I had front and back lights, fluorescent yellow strips on jacket and leggings , he decided to move out and would have wiped me out, saw me at the last second and violently swerved back in , when he eventually came out behind me and along side me , just behaved as if Nothing had happened, no apologist hand up to acknowledge he was in the wrong ...,NADA.
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

secman wrote: »
    Had a close call last night coming down the Tallaght bypass , just through the junction of the road that goes to Lucan, a Suv coming on to the Tallaght bypass on my left, they have a turning lane before they can safely come out on to the Bypass, I had front and back lights, fluorescent yellow strips on jacket and leggings , he decided to move out and would have wiped me out, saw me at the last second and violently swerved back in , when he eventually came out behind me and along side me , just behaved as if Nothing had happened, no apologist hand up to acknowledge he was in the wrong ...,NADA.
    :(

I've had a fair few close calls at that exact location - even one with a Garda motorbike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

droidus wrote: »
    9:15 AM this morning, Church st heading south approaching north king st

There’s two lanes there, but nearly half of the left hand lane is taken up by a cycle lane. Car appeared beside me with about 3 inches between my handlebars and her mirror. She then squeezed past me, swerving left as she did so and nearly forcing me off the road. I had to brake and swerve to avoid her car. I stopped beside her about 100m down the road and asked her why she had tried to drive me off the road and it was clear that she wasn’t even aware of what she had done.

Gonna report this one I think.
    I hate that section of road. I move out of the cycle lane into the "general traffic" part of the lane, from just past Broadstone, where 'SLOW' is written on the road. I use a dramatic hand signal to do so.

Northbound I do the same thing where those potholes are in the cycle lane going up the hill approaching Broadstone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Yet another car that sailed through the first roundabout at the Castleknock Gate end of Chesterfield Avenue this morning without yielding or even slowing. He’d have taken me out of it despite a strong front light and the much fabled high vis if I hadn’t stopped and roared at him. He slowed down after existing the roundabout to utter what I can only hope was an apology but never caught his words. Have the registration so might call traffic watch later to report as find it the most dangerous section of my commute which includes the full length of the quays morning and evening. They have cones circling the roundabout at present due to works but most brain dead morning commuters ignore its status and just veer around it.

***not me - I saw this on twitter just now...

https://twitter.com/CitizenW0lf/status/1202287867206213639

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

***not me - I saw this on twitter just now...

https://twitter.com/CitizenW0lf/status/1202287867206213639

I don’t know this junction at all but it seems to me that cyclist would have been better off staying behind the truck and taking a central lane position in that right hand lane. Why does he choose to filter up the left to pass out a truck supposedly going in the same direction as him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

hesker wrote: »
    I don’t know this junction at all but it seems to me that cyclist would have been better off staying behind the truck and taking a central lane position in that right hand lane. Why does he choose to filter up the left to pass out a truck supposedly going in the same direction as him.

Agree. With a big yoke like that I prefer to be behind it not have to make assumptions on which way its going to turn. Much less stressful that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

From the old thread.

Speaking of that petrol station, I needed to change my pants after this one. I was focused on the guy nosing out of the next exit of the petrol station, so I missed the gap in the line of traffic until this lady landed in front of me. Audio cut out to protect the innocent.

https://streamable.com/vvlfn

Probably the closest I've come to a wipe-out is just where your video begins. I was going along the cycle-path but a car swung in front from the opposite lane into their drive-way (same move as in your video except executed fully). Full brakes stopped me centimetres from their side-door. If I'd been half a second further up the road, it would have been nasty.

Like you, I couldn't see the gap because the car leaving the gap and blocking the view was a large SUV. The lack of clear view didn't stop the car swinging blindly across the road of course. I'm willing to give the SUV partial credit for leaving the gap and allowing the ridiculous manoeuvre in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Kander wrote: »
    This mornings fun: https://streamable.com/zczps

If anyone is asking why it looks like i stopped in the lane, it's an up hill road and i braked initially. I had a foot on the ground

Wtf? That is pure mental. Unacceptable driving. I'd have stopped out of shock too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Jumping the queue obviously.

What the hell were they doing?
    Presumably wanting to take the left off the roundabout but are obviously impatient gits!

The one time I made a report to Traffic watch/garda statement was after witnessing a taxi driver doing a similar thing. Except when he got to the top of the queue he was overtaking, he was left facing a red light on the wrong side of the road. So he ended up barging through the red light, narrowly missing some pedestrians that were crossing and forcing a couple of cars who were passing through the junction at the time to make evasive manoeuvres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This second clip was five minutes after the one above. The truck ran the yellow by about 2 seconds, which was to be expected. As the truck was going slow the pedestrian light was green by the time it passed through. As I was pushing off que the idiot in the car behind running the red.

https://streamable.com/pkfvu

Red lights are the new amber, didn't you get the memo?

The devil on my shoulder would have loved for that to have been a van or something meeting him so he couldn't get by and refusing to budge for him :D

My shoulder devil must be more of a cnut than yours - Mine was hoping for him to meet a nice sturdy truck that would crumple his bonnet and engine in for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Not a near miss or my story but told of this feature on Joe Duffy yesterday:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058033834&page=7
    Cyclist assaulted for the second time by feral kids throwing rocks at cyclists by Cappagh Hospital in Finglas. Apparently it's a well known no-go area for cyclists with stone being flung from nearly halting sites and guard taking a blind eye under the guise of lack of resources. Jees, it’s bad enough on the bike with lunatic drivers besides being set up by armed scumbags, needs to be a serious overhaul of the judicial system and a real hard line response taken on repeat offenders.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Nobody ****ign cares anymore..
    In fairness, some of us do.
    But because there is effectively no enforcement of our traffic laws, a large number of drivers know that they will get away with whatever infringement they make.
    So they make that infringment!

There was a car after rear ending another car quite badly at the bottom of Bridge St Lower, at the junction with the quays, at about 8.30 this morning, in one of the lanes for proceeding across the Liffey. The first car was stopped at the stop line for the lights and I can only assume the second guy thought the first guy was going to run the amber/red and sped up. It was causing mayhem for cars right back to Christchurch. Lollipop ladies and kids meandering around the traffic etc.

Pure speculation on my part. Anyone happen to witness it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Haha I've been tempted to get the cheapest heaviest bike shaped object and do just that as well.
    I'd like to put a doll in a child's buggy and push it out in front of them. Scare the living daylights out of them.

...until they swerve into someone :(

Not quite a near miss but a stupid overtake attempt...

It was on the N4 this morning about 7:30. Driver travelling illegally in the bus lane (with a convoy of other illegal drivers behing him) decides to attempt to overtake me despite it being blindingly obvious that he had no room (and it wasn't far to the Ballyowen Rd slip road).
    I decided to take it easy (whilst gesticulating towards the traffic lanes) until I got to the slip road.
    On the slip road he says to me that he thought he'd make it :rolleyes:
    Then told me that i should be in the cycle lane. I resoponded by saying how I can use the bus lane but he cannot.
    Meanwhile with the green light facing us, the driver behind was getting fed up and you can hear me telling him to calm down (or something to that effect!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

As someone who bikes and motorbikes - I can't understand why a motorcyclists will ever get into an argument with a cyclist!

Both motorbikes and cycles have same sort of threats to deal with on the roads - cars, slippery surfaces, ice, frost, wet leaves, car drivers on phones rear ending you, changing lanes without looking etc etc... And a motorbike can squeeze past a cyclist on a bus lane even if the cyclist was riding in the middle of the lane (and most cyclists won't), so not sure why motorbiker would pick a fight with a cyclist. That must have been a particularly nasty dude on the motorbike.

PS: About motorcycles on the bus lane, while it's technically illegal, it's tolerated, I had had multiple occasions where Garda will stop the car behind me while letting me carry on riding on the bus lane. It's just much safer for motorbikes to be on bus lane than trying to filter between two opposing lanes of traffic.

• Advertisement

It's great that it's safer for motorcyclists. Fcuking delighted for you.

Ah here. As a cyclist, you think you'd understand bending some motorist-centric rules in the interest of personal safety. As long as they're being careful and not being dicks in the bus lanes, I'm okay with it.

It's great that it's safer for motorcyclists. Fcuking delighted for you.

:rolleyes: I cycle as well, but sounds like you are really traumatized by tat motorcyclist, lets hope he doesn't do that you again.

Everything works well when everyone is considerate of everyone else, irrespective of the their mod of transport.

Apologies, if i came off a bit strong there. This thread winds me up no end. :mad:

No worries, I understand the frustration, commute does my head in too (on motorbike, you see all sort of craziness out there, especially filtering past thousands of cars on M50 the amount of people on phone, typing / watching videos is unreal).

I changed jobs two years ago and now instead of travelling from Leixlip via the M50 to Sandyford, I now work closer to home and have the choice of driving a fairly easy drive or cycling (it's maybe 50:50 currently). I did the M50 for over 11 years. At the time, I knew it was horrible but tolerable.
    Without trying to sound hippy-ish, I know for a fact that my own wellbeing has improved. Leaving out the health benefits from cycling, the fact that I'm not in that mentally-toxic queue twice daily means that when I get home, I'm not as tired or stressed.
    I didn't know how bad it actually was until I stopped doing it. I really don't know how or why I allowed myself to do it.
    If I was offered my old job back for twice the money, I would turn it down simply because of that commute!

cdaly_ wrote: »
    This is so true. You're sitting there 'comfy' in your car and you can't think of any other way it could be so you ignore the stress.
    I have to disagree. I used to do the whole length of it (and for a while half the M1 too) every day. I eventually bought a house closer to work, but spent a year doing it up before I could live in it. Despite not having been on a bike in 10 years, every minute of that year that I spent on that fecking road, I was dreaming of being on a bike instead! I finally got there :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Idiot in black with no lights running the red light at the Barge on Friday.

The amount of fools with no lights. :mad:

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Had my first bad one in an absolute age this evening. Air coach with acres of room squeezed by me on Drumcondra road a bit past Quinn's.

Couldn't catch up with to get the licence plate

In fairness he probably was probably just trying to *alert* you to the "perfectly good" cycle infrastructure somewhere off to the side there. He probably paid for it too through his "road tax" so pretty damn ungrateful of you to stay on his road holding people up Like that ��

Just saw this on Twitter which some of our drivers should see...
    https://twitter.com/SafeCyclingEire/status/1075867127708569605

tnegun wrote: »
    Bike down in Leixlip this evening at the top of the hill just before the garda station hope all was and its minor. He/she was still on the road covered in blankets when I passed about 6.20 with several cars stopped at the scene.
    I turned half way up the hill but saw the blues flashing. Assumed it was a checkpoint or something. Hopefully they are ok.
    Coincidentally I was close passed on the hill, the final slap after a pain in the hole journey home via Liffey Valley.

Some from my journey home yesterday...

Driver not looking for cyclist

Ignorant cow in 07-TN-3272 (ironically I went this route from liffey valley because I thought it would be safer :rolleyes:)

had it from the other side today - picked my wife up from horseriding, and we were driving home - entering a roundabout, a cyclist cycled out in front of me. i was going most of the way around the roundabout, but was not sure which exit he was heading for so i slowed drastically, as i was afraid he'd pull out in front of me for his exit (i didn't know whether he was being dozy or reckless), but as i slowed he did too and was giving me the 'what's your problem?' body language.
    in hindsight i suspect his thought process was 'if i keep my line on the roundabout, and he keeps his, we shouldn't cross paths', but if so, it was a very, very dumb thing to think.

• Advertisement

it's a day for it; walking through the combined car park/rat run at the local spar, a chap came gunning through in a car, towards me, and took umbrage at me telling him to slow down.
    'no, *you* slow down' was his considered response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

This was me on my first week back. Genuinely frightening but have adjusted my cycling to ride more defensively especially at tight spots like this

This was the other one on my first week back

https://twitter.com/MacL0ve/status/1201629016920190977?s=20

mother of god.

Jesus :eek:

Good on the driver behind checking on you. Easy to say with hindsight but I'd have asked them if they had dash cam of that one. You hardly got the reg from yours? Disgraceful driving , couldn't sit behind you a few seconds until the road is clear. Video demonstrates that people can properly over take a cyclist but all it takes is one gob****e to put you and others in serious danger.

Yeah it was fair nice of them, tbh I was so shaken by it, I didnt even think to ask or even try to shout out the reg so I could pick it up on the camera. I literally shouted aaargh because I thought I was going to be hit. I was raging I couldnt pick up the reg, tried to edit the video but nothing seemed to work. Bought a drift ghost x for a more stable image should it happen again but I've changed how I cycle on that road now, to be more closer to the white line as you know any chance of them overtaking you in a dangerous location they will.

I've been trying to notice reg plates the last few days but even then its quite hard to see them due to the insufficient lighting of the lights and most seemed to be really dirty
    tnegun wrote: »
    They shouldn't be on the road, hard to see exactly so they crossed over the white line to pass you straight into on coming traffic and then pulled in sharply just in front of you when the on coming car beeped?

They overtook on a slight bend here: https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.6386782,-8.6322173,3a,37y,16.41h,87.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZkM07rS9_x95X_q1iYVXgQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

They were fully over the white line, didnt see the oncoming lights, were still half over the white line when the oncoming car beeped them, and still more or less on the other side when passing the second oncoming car.

I was actually close to tears such was the shock I got.

That stretch is 50 km/h and rightly so. There is a hard shoulder on the opposite side of the road but you cycle in it at your own peril as drivers will definitely close pass you.

I dont think they realise the danger they put themselves in by driving like that.

One of the responses to Mc Love's criminal pass...

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1201869354608025600

Primary. Primary. Primary.

If I'm riding that road like that with traffic on the other side meaning no way for cars to pass me safely, then you'll find me slap bang in the middle of the lane- just put a stop to all that nonsense.

victor17 wrote: »
    Not a near-miss, but what's the deal with some of these 'professional' coach drivers? I had in no way delayed him yet he just had to beep at me when I wasn't even in his lane and he was turning right further down the road anyway. :confused: You can see him gesticulating towards the end point of the cycle lane / footpath at the end of the video.

https://streamable.com/41z2v
    There seems to be a scary percentage of the public that believe that cyclists must wear helmets, wear high viz and use cycle paths. Presumably this belief is propogated mainly by the crap from the RSA.
    However, I'm aghast at the number of so-called professional drivers that believe this nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

victor17 wrote: »
    Not a near-miss, but what's the deal with some of these 'professional' coach drivers? I had in no way delayed him yet he just had to beep at me when I wasn't even in his lane and he was turning right further down the road anyway. :confused: You can see him gesticulating towards the end point of the cycle lane / footpath at the end of the video.

https://streamable.com/41z2v

Had similar yesterday evening, truck driver with a total lack of anticipation who struggled to overtake on a dual carriageway:

• Advertisement
Advertisement