Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Thread Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Gaz wrote: »
    Finally got myself some bike cameras (cycliq), first day out and had this close pass.
    Its such a common occurrence, I am not sure whats worth reporting, does it need to be `close close` or just `close` ? :-)

https://streamable.com/r4j5qd
    The ignorant prick.
    It is a defo close-pass however, I'd say that the triage system wihtin the station would mean that the Super (or whoever it is decides not ot bother doing anything) will park it.
    Post edited by CramCycle on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Or if the driver was apologetic and had no previous convictions, they'd drop it too. More and more I'm seeing cases where people have committed murder with a motor vehicle only to get a slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Really.

(not my video!)

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1266392230182498310?s=19

(The replies include a whole lot of stupid)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i can understand a very bright front light if you want to be able to see with it.
    a rear light is for being seen, not for seeing. fair game to say to someone if their light is too bright; are you supposed to avert your eyes while attempting the overtake?
    it's like excusing someone driving towards oncoming traffic with full beams; sure they'll be past you in the next ten seconds, so what harm?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Chiparus wrote: »
    What do you want them to do?
    Umm, I want them to turn the brightness of their light down? If it causes issues for other cyclists, this is a problem.

Btw, why are you writing speed limits in metres per second? This is not how speed limits are expressed.

And FWIW, quoting a speed limit of 100km/h is suggesting a road that very few cyclists commute on in the dark. And almost certainly not the one in the post which led to this exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

Remember when so many of us commuted in and out of the office? Heady times, oh glorious days that I pine for!

Ahhhhhh the social media 'WhatsBook' generation.
    that may have made sense in your own head, but i'm scratching mine as to what you mean. if you just wanted to pass what appears to be a snide comment, you may find standards here are a little higher than that, so please try harder in future.

• Advertisement

cheers, i thought the 'social media whatsbook' comment was directed towards the poster, not the other rider.

if i'm a bloke and i saw someone chasing after me on a bike, i'd give them a chase.
    general rule, unless someone has already threatened you, chasing after them is a fool's errand.
    and yes, a bloke chasing after a woman could very easily be interpreted as being intimidating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

Think I recall this one being posted here , €120 fine and 3 points was the outcome.

https://irishcycle.com/2020/06/07/e120-fine-and-3-penalty-points-for-another-irish-motorist-unwilling-to-give-cyclists-space/

That was bloody close

unfortunately the video cuts off just as the interesting bit starts.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Think I recall this one being posted here , €120 fine and 3 points was the outcome.

https://irishcycle.com/2020/06/07/e120-fine-and-3-penalty-points-for-another-irish-motorist-unwilling-to-give-cyclists-space/

Yup, that was me. Meant to post here yesterday but only got around to it now.

Here is the original post:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058033834/28/#post112214339

Yes it was indeed. Good result. The female motorist *might* just be more cognizant of the space bikes need now.

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Not going down too well in the motors forum! :)
    damn, they closed the thread.

kenmm wrote: »
    Same as how some here are quick to lump all drivers together.
    i'd be tempted to start a poll in the cyclists forum to see how many of us are drivers, but there's no option to limit it to 'regulars' of the cycling forum so no way to keep the poll honest.

but i'd wager 90%+ of the people on here are also drivers.

i mentioned a case yesterday where me and my wife were being blown at by asshole drivers; thankfully i had her prepared; if someone blows the horn at you, react as if you think they're being friendly. big smiles, thumbs up, you name it. wave at them. if you keep your cool and they don't, they won't thank you for it at the time, but in maybe 20% (or insert your own guess) of the time, they might think when they've cooled down, AITA?
    (young person speak for 'am i the asshole?')

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Worth mentioning too that taking the lane should only be done in certain circumstances.

3 Examples:

if there are parked cars on the left side of the road.
    If there is a "pinch point" (traffic island) ahead.
    If your approaching a junction and intend turning right.

But if your cycling along a road that has no junctions, no parked cars and your simply taking the lane to prevent traffic overtaking...well you know what happens.

It also helps if you can ride at pace and if the traffic behind can see why you are taking the lane.

Even when you do all this, you'll still get muppets honking horns and driving aggressively.

Hope this helps.

I'd like to add an example to this:

Better to ride (IMHO) in primary on roads that a have a single white line and situated on blind bends. I do this for my own safety as well as oncoming traffic as well as the impatient gowls behind me

Can't believe a guy driving a Civic Type R couldn't overtake a van and a few cyclists! Drivers today are too soft! In my day we overtook anything and everything! :).

The road was about 7km! SEVEN! He would have to drive at 30 km/h for a whole four minutes! The horror.

• Advertisement

My commute brings me along this road and I do the same as you at the solid white line sections
    i think it was on baskin lane or chapel road that a cyclist taking the lane (cough... weepsie) *forced* an SUV driver to overtake on a white line into my path, and me being caught on camera by said cyclist gesturing angrily.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The other circumstance where primary is appropriate is when you're keeping pace with the vehicle in front of you.

Club spin this morning and on the last leg before the coffee stop off there were three of us moving in single file at a decent pace between Kilbride and Clonee.
    I was at the front and coming to an S-bend where there's a left and then a right turn, I went to slow down.
    My left hand had locked with numbness and with the wet road I couldn't slow down enough and ended crossing well into the oncoming lane. The lad behind me was following my wheel and so followed my line into the oncoming lane.
    To make it worse, there was a home heating oil lorry coming towards us but thankfully he had slowed sufficiently for the bends and disaster was averted.
    I'll review my camera footage and drop the oil company a note to explain h thank the driver for being careful but it just shows how something can happen so easily.

he might have been on an e-bike.

Not the worst but still too close for my liking.

If that's as bad as it ever gets for you, you'll be fine.

That is pretty normal. It's the fcukers that don't make *any* attempt to move to the right you're going to come to hate.

Sent to me via WhatsApp (neither driver nor cyclist is me :))...

why was the cyclist trying to avoid the checkpoint?

why was the cyclist trying to avoid the checkpoint?
    His road tax had expired!

Someone had been a naughty boy regarding the Covid restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I saw a cyclist (young, 18-20) do a close pass on another cyclist (deliveroo cyclist) today. I was shocked at the speed the young cyclist was doing up the hill and how close he got to the deliveroo cyclist!

I got a couple of those on the Clontarf-Sutton cycle path yesterday. Was going pretty slowly with herself following behind me. Close pass from some guy bombing along overtaking us whilst a family passed by us on the other side.

Some people are just jerks.

• Advertisement

Check in with each other to see if those last 3 incidents could possibly be linked to the same car/area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Effects wrote: »
    I've noticed a lot of cyclists turnaround when they spot a Garda checkpoint during lockdown.
    I'm sure lots of people flaunt the rules, cyclists just stick out more.

When the lockdown was heaviest, I was left alone when using the bike. I find cyclists are less noticeable, which honestly can be a problem on our once again crowded roads.

I didn't breach the 2km or 5km boundaries often putting in decent distances. With the hot weather back then, I'd often have two bottles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭raheny red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Drumcondra is treated like a motorway to most drivers going through it, constant speeding and aggression through it. I say that as a pedestrian and cyclist in the area. It's criminal that there is no segregated cycling infrastructure (painted lanes on footpaths do not count) on one of the widest stretches of road in the city.

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Drumcondra is treated like a motorway to most drivers going through it, constant speeding and aggression through it. I say that as a pedestrian and cyclist in the area. It's criminal that there is no segregated cycling infrastructure (painted lanes on footpaths do not count) on one of the widest stretches of road in the city.

Painted lanes that yield at every side road. I think that's my least favourite cycle track in the city - it's brutal to use, but the road is so narrow that buses and taxis can't overtake you when traffic is bumper to bumper so you get a tonne of abuse if you use it.

If I remember correctly, that was the facility that convinced my brother that cycle tracks shouldn't be mandatory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

raheny red wrote: »

The most infuriating thing about videos like that is how utterly pointless the f**kology pulled by the driver is . Passing you so dangerously only to have to stop behind other cars 50 yards later and have you end up in front again anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Effects wrote: »
    Had a close-ish one there last night. Driving down Hollybank Road, to turn left at Drumcondra Rd. Heard the loud screech of brakes, so I braked and stopped the car.

A guy on the bike path had spotted me, but was obviously going too fast to yield.
    Bad brakes, no lights, tree canopy making it difficult for me to spot him.

He eventually came to a stop right in front of where I had stopped the car. He looked a little shook up, but we exchanged a wave and smiles.

Glad I had the window down and heard his brakes, or he probably would have gone into the side of me and injured himself.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3668326,-6.2558146,3a,75y,96.19h,83.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sF26iT8InIFRZ307cGktE2Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Out of interest, does the car have right of way up to the front of the junction? I've always found these slightly confusing. The STOP sign is before where the cycle lane would be but the stop line is after it. Does the cycle lane technically stop before the junction and start up again on the other side?

It's such dreadful design.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2944195,-6.2506823,3a,75y,194.98h,72.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgndq9068BadPDqGGRvBxBQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This one is near my house. This time there are two stop lines (about half of cars ignore the first one). This implies to me that the cycle lane has priority but yet again the markings look like the cycle lane stops and restarts after the junction. Who has priority?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

It's an awful design at that junction at Hollybank road, negligent road engineering. Could you sue DCC for it?

If I was approaching there and knew there was a downhill "cycle lane" (rather loose term in this location) crossing it, I would take it very slow. At the end of the day, the last thing you want is someone injured or killed regardless of who has right of way.

• Advertisement

Out of interest, does the car have right of way up to the front of the junction? I've always found these slightly confusing. The STOP sign is before where the cycle lane would be but the stop line is after it. Does the cycle lane technically stop before the junction and start up again on the other side?

Any traffic from Hollybank Road does not have to yield until the solid white line, at which point they should stop. At which point they are presumably blocking the cycle lane.

It's hard to see the signs with trees, but it looks like the cycle lane doesn't stop - just yields.

This one is near my house. This time there are two stop lines (about half of cars ignore the first one). This implies to me that the cycle lane has priority but yet again the markings look like the cycle lane stops and restarts after the junction. Who has priority?

It's not a question of priority under Irish traffic law (IANAL), but rather who has to yield. In this case a driver must stop, but a cyclist must yield, so if the driver has stopped, the cyclist can progress. If the driver has stopped, and then starts again because there is no traffic, the cyclist must yield.

So another dreadful design.

Apologies for the twitter thread but here is an update on a punishment pass from January.

https://twitter.com/nolankucd/status/1273608691892105217?s=21

Basically the Gardaí can’t see anything wrong with the overtake so I went full CSI.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I was waved through every single checkpoint I came across on a bike. I only know of one person who was stopped by the Guards and asked how far away they lived.

I don't think that has anything to do with how conspicuous or inconspicuous cyclists are, more that the Guards probably opted to treat them in the same was as they would walkers or runners, i.e. assume they're doing the right thing and staying within the distance limit.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Was it a local gardai at a station you visited, or did you go via Traffic Watch first?

Went through Traffic Watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I was waved through every single checkpoint I came across on a bike. I only know of one person who was stopped by the Guards and asked how far away they lived.

I don't think that has anything to do with how conspicuous or inconspicuous cyclists are, more that the Guards probably opted to treat them in the same was as they would walkers or runners, i.e. assume they're doing the right thing and staying within the distance limit.

I got waved through all of them bar one. A big cheerful guard who looked like he came of Templemore yesterday stopped me and boomed, “EXERCISE, IS IT?” I told him I was going to work. “GOOD MAN!” he roars, beaming from ear to ear. Nice to see a lad who loves his job so much! :D

one difference between being stopped in a car and stopped on a bike is that you've no legal requirement to carry proof of address on a bike. but you do in a car (in that your driving licence has an address on it).

probably not what the actual reason is, though; the checkpoints were more a PR exercise than an actual policing exercise i suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

probably not what the actual reason is, though; the checkpoints were more a PR exercise than an actual policing exercise i suspect.

I passed through many checkpoints and at some I was probably a km or two beyond the radius. However, I got the distinct impression that the Gardaí were more in the spirit of the thing rather than enforcing it to the letter of the law. I was on the bike, on my own with no baggage or anything so it was assumed that I was out for exercise and returning to where I started. Only once was I asked where I was going to/from and as soon as I answered, I was waved on and the Garda remarked "Great day for it".

I did notice that cars with more than one occupant were questioned for longer than others.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Jaysus I must look dodgy,

Not only that :D but the N11 is a popular road for Dubs heading to mobiles in Wexford.

EDIT: I should be saying wife by now but lock down saw to that. We were due to get married today :(
    Really sorry to hear that your big day has had to wait. Hopefully it’ll go ahead real soon.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Some poor unfortunate soul laid out at the pub in Booterstown, please God it’s nothing serious.
    that's a bad junction, one of the most dangerous ones i had on my commute.

Ah it's no big deal at this stage 12 years into the relationship, it'll be way more fun now with herself and 2 mini princesses that arrived in the intervening years than if we'd got married 10 year ago. I actually wanted the day in the suit more so I think :cool:

Ah OK. Just another near miss so....... :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement