Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Thread Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Were they uniformed or plainclothes?
    Post edited by CramCycle on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

image.jpg?w=400&c=1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    Plain clothes. They even threw in the "we both cycle" line
    must have been even more of an adrenaline kick when they slammed on the brakes and got out so.

huh?

i believe it's short for 'all cops are bastards'.

#notallcops

short cops only?

Are we talking Jon/Gendry or Ramsay/Joffrey on the bastard scale though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Had a red audi TT driver not yield to me on a roundabout, I yelled, and he slowed down and let me pass :) cycled into the cycle/bus lane and he passed me out. Literally seconds if he had just waited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

This is one you can't blame the Guards on, I'm afraid. We all do it, I do it myself, but as soon as you utter a profanity the other party has a legitimate public order complaint against you. Same thing happened to me once but I still proceeded and stood over my reaction. In the end my complaint proceeded without any counter-complaint anyway.

I may be mistaken here, but surely a public order offence is a charge brought by the Gardaí and the DPP, rather than the other party? So is it not rather likely here that the Garda taking the complaint is trying to dissuade the complainant from proceeding to save some work for an offence the Garda may not believe to be significant?

And - as shown by your case - if the complainant proceeds, the Garda doesn't bother with the public order offence because it's only an idle threat that hasn't succeeded?

• Advertisement

I was swerving a bit because of a gust and I was going uphill and I'm an inexperienced cyclist. Someone on the motors forum said there was a recent precident that allows cyclists with driving licences to get points for transgressions on bikes. If they embellish their story, I could end up with points. There was a cyclist who broke a red light and went up on a windscreen and the judge revoked his driving licence.

Well this is just total bull****. Firstly, you can't get points for cycling offences. Secondly, is there more than a single case in the history of a state of a cyclist being punished with a driving ban? The same guy was also convicted of ramming a Garda car in a stolen jeep, so you don't have much to worry about unless you're that sort of character.

On the gusts/uphill/inexperience - this is exactly why a minimum distance is recommended for passing cyclists, and why you should seek to have it enforced.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ED E wrote: »
    Files - depends on the gard. Some take dropbox/drive, some want a DVD
    My recent case of a door opening passenger was accepted happily by the garda in Leixlip via streamable.com. I emailed him the url.

^^^ "professional driver" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Bot1 wrote: »
    Driving up to Cruagh last Sunday morning for a hike.
    It was busy with cyclists (as you'd expect).
    Driver behind me (Taxi livery) was losing his mind with being slightly delayed.

Next thing he attempts this https://streamable.com/nqv9ug

Almost crashes into a car and trying to avoid the collision almost wipes out 3/4 elderly cyclists!

Ridiculous disregard for the safety of others!

Jesus tonight, that's one of the worst I've seen on here. Did you report, that guys needs a driving ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Bot1 wrote: »
    Driving up to Cruagh last Sunday morning for a hike.
    It was busy with cyclists (as you'd expect).
    Driver behind me (Taxi livery) was losing his mind with being slightly delayed.

Next thing he attempts this https://streamable.com/nqv9ug

Almost crashes into a car and trying to avoid the collision almost wipes out 3/4 elderly cyclists!

Ridiculous disregard for the safety of others!

Nearly forced the oncoming car into the ditch as well.

The day the state puts it foot down and starts making an example out of these p**sartists is the day the roads start to get safer for people not in cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

<snip> reference to troll deleted

Off to Traffic Watch alright, that's about the worst we've seen on here.

Build up to it slowly HJB? Take the rest of the summer to get used to quieter traffic volumes in the evenings and weekend mornings first? Confidence will come and usually by way of building up road miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Not so much a near miss as a common assault in Camden this morning: https://www.twitter.com/Jhtse/status/1275169086608232448

I'm impressed by how many Met officers have responded looking to help. It's certainly a contrast to Gardaí telling people to take down videos because of GDPR.

(I'm looking to embed the Tweet - am I doing to wrong?)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Am I just unlucky or does anyone else find most drivers give too little passing distance? (IE, less than 150 cm)
    Is everyone else just more thick skinned.

Unfortunately you just get used to it. I’d be happy if I got a meter of space from most drivers, 1.5m is a luxury. Some courteous drivers will fully cross the white line, many will, as in your video, completely misjudge or lazily cut out across your back wheel.

You’re clearly pretty nervous and wobbly on the bike. This makes it all the more traumatic when it happens. Perhaps find a route that has more cycle lanes or less traffic until you find more confidence.

• Advertisement

Chiparus wrote: »

Usual pinch at a small roundabout,
    Thought I was in luck , when I saw the 3rd Vehicle, but it was not to be.

Ignore the VIRB - I just use it for editing - easier than the apple video editing, and the date.

Brutal lack of observation from the driver there.

If I was in the same position as yourself, I'd have moved out in advance of the cross hatching to take the lane. The driver is probably only looking to their right to see if they have to yield, and when you're on their right it's easy (but wrong) for them to ignore you. Not so much if you're in front of them.

had a chap in a black BMW close pass me at speed on the malahide road, blaring his horn at me because i was in the bus lane and not the cycle lane. funny thing was, it was before 7pm, so he was not allowed in the bus lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭cletus

CramCycle wrote: »
    More thick skinned, I am just happy enough when I can't touch them, as they pass by. That is learned though and not acceptable. This said I have driven this week and the behaviour by some seems to be not specifically against cyclists. I have cars drifting across lanes on the M50 and N11, switching lanes as you are in the lane beside them. Red light running, well as a co worer said to me as i left, be careful driving today, red lights apparently mean nothing anymore. They were right. If car drivers don't notice other car drivers running lights, there is something wrong with their observation skills.

This. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If a driver doesn't cycle, I'd imagine the vast majority of them are completely at a loss as to why cyclists are annoyed when they close pass. Not actually hitting you is enough distance for most people.

This isn't specific to cyclists either. I've often had oncoming traffic squeezing past my car when there's an obstruction in their lane, almost touching wing mirrors. An awful lot of people just don't have a good feel for distances when they're driving.

You see the opposite when someone takes a 37 point turn in a space where they could have done it in 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Some ****er with a horsebox decided between these two islands was the ideal spot to overtake. I thought the jeep going for the gap was bad enough until I realised there was a wall of horsebox within arms reach beside me. My roar made the horse's ears twitch.

It looks like she/he was trying to be somewhat courteous, but as you say, utterly indecisive, and ultimately frustrating.

But if that's the worst that happens this week it will have been a pretty good week I'd say.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

kenmm wrote: »
    Not sure what to make of that tbh - the cyclist went for a bit of a dangerous overtake themselves. In this case I can see where the Lorry driver/ Gardai are coming from..

Edit - first camera looks worse, second you can see more clearly. Neither road user comes off well.

While the initial overtake by the cyclist probably wasn't advisable, I'd say the deliberate and vengeful squeezing with a multi-ton vehicle, where death is a possible outcome, definitely deserves a bit more attention and criticism...

Not sure what to make of that tbh - the cyclist went for a bit of a dangerous overtake themselves. In this case I can see where the Lorry driver/ Gardai are coming from..

Edit - first camera looks worse, second you can see more clearly. Neither road user comes off well.
    Not really.
    If the truck driver was [preoperly reading the road ahead then he should have seen the two people on bikes and moved out anyhow - regardless of the overtake, he was too close.
    However, if he was reading the road ahead properly, then he also would have seen the faster moving cyclist coming up on the slower moving cyclist and anticipated an overtake.
    The truck driver does not appear to slow down or move from his line. All we can tell is that he blasts his horn at the cyclist.
    Also bear in mind that as regular cycle paths have no legal standing, the cyclists are ahead of the truck on the road - all effectively (in law) in the same lane.
    Now the law won't save a vulnerable road user from a dangerous driver that doesn't care but that's not to blame the VRU!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

VonLuck wrote: »
    I agree. No way would I overtake after seeing a truck that close behind me. Not worth the risk.

I wouldn't either. I would have shoulder checked and waited.

Having said that, the lorry driver seemed to have an attitude and close passed at speed only the cyclist that overtook but also the one that was overtaken who was in his "lane" and did nothing wrong. His duty of care in commandeering such a large heavy vehicle was woefully lacking.

Also, its a sad reflection on our general setup here. It demonstrates perfectly how painted cycle lanes and the lack of some drivers undersanding of their limits can actually make things more dangerous.

One of the guiding principles of Vision Zero as practiced by the Dutch and some of the Nordics is that people sometimes make mistakes and a small mistake shouldn't result in death or serious injury. It's atrocious that people bikes are mixing with heavy freight vehicles on a road by its setup is already mentally gearing the drivers of those heavy vehicles up for motorway driving.

i keep saying it, that is an appalling stretch of road.

• Advertisement

It really is horrible, a real no-mans-land for cyclists in its current form.

First time in over 25 years cycling on the old airport road after someone knocked me down. Within the space of ten minutes, I had a van driver close pass me at traffic lights (MGIF @ jcn with Collins Ave) only to stop at the next set of lights on the exit towards Santry. He then threatened to knock me down next time because "youse cyclists think you're God when you put all that gear on". :rolleyes:
    Then I met this dozy cow who seemed completely oblivious to what I was talking about when I approached her about this left hook (bear in mind that I had a luminous green bag on my back, two bright flashing rear lights (and a front flashing light) and a feckin bright orange bike - not sure how I can become more obvious to a driver)...
    https://streamable.com/xnuypr (I do say a few NSFW words so maybe put it on mute if you're sensitive)

She saw you for sure because of the hesitation shown in turning in. She's 100% in the wrong there but my self-preservation instinct would not have allowed me to proceed there.
    I actually didn't think she would go for it, plus as it became clearer I was braking hard but with the rain, I wasn't stopping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭hesker

She saw you for sure because of the hesitation shown in turning in. She's 100% in the wrong there but my self-preservation instinct would not have allowed me to proceed there.

I think she hesitated to allow the pedestrian clear the entrance. Don’t think the op ever registered with her

I don't believe they performed a punishment pass, and basically continued on his/her intended course (but at the regular speed unfortunately).

How is that not a punishment pass? Sounds the horn so clearly sees the cyclist ahead, but continues on their intended course - i.e. doesn't move out to perform a safe overtake - as punishment for the cyclist's presence. That's textbook punishment pass to me.

VonLuck wrote: »
    Sorry, but how does it not matter what the cyclist did? Sure the truck driver was in the wrong, but does that automatically give the cyclist a free pass?
    The truck driver should not have been so close for the very reason that a cyclist may need to pull out suddenly. The 1.5m space was used in RSA ads at least 7 years ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB9d-c-M7D0). The trucker failed to give this space thus endangering the two vulnerable people on bikes.
    The cyclist (as we saw) had sufficient time to complete the overtake. However, the trucker should have "expected the unexpected", slowed down, pulled to their right and given the people on bikes a safe overtake.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What do people think about this one. I was out early Saturday morning, this is a national road with very little traffic on it Sat morning between Castlebar and Belmullet. At the time I remember muttering something after him and only today I remembered it.
    I've become a bit insulated and used to close passes at this stage.

https://streamable.com/e6h25v

Chap in mild performance car roars past vulnerable road user.

Nothing to see here.

I would have replied back that if he wanted it taken down he should call the Gardaí :pac:
    I bet that they'd insist on it to being removed as it would violate GDPR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Some ****er with a horsebox decided between these two islands was the ideal spot to overtake. I thought the jeep going for the gap was bad enough until I realised there was a wall of horsebox within arms reach beside me. My roar made the horse's ears twitch.
    Hey Robert,
    Will you be on liveline today?
    Joe mentioned cycling and a close pass with a horsebox.
    Don't forget to say hi to the boards family!

• Advertisement

probably the woman who was close passed in wicklow yesterday, in this video i think she mentioned a horsebox:

https://twitter.com/Bernieadufe/status/1280841846873300992?s=19

I don't drive very often, but I've had to do a fair bit of over the last 10 days. Near miss today as I'm proceeding up a right-turn lane only for a driver to pull out from gridlock in the normal lane to do a u-turn. I slammed on the brakes as he proceeded without even noticing until I beeped the horn, which was met with a 'pffft' wave, rather than any kind of shock or embarrassment.

Never again will I let a mention of hi-viz pass without this convincing piece of anecdotal evidence, that it doesn't matter one iota how big or bright you are - people won't see you if they don't look.

Took a spin down towards Naas and on my home came across this driver (who was way more important that anyone else) on my way into Sallins (watch the oncoming VW Golf slow down and I think) move left to let the impatient driver past)...
    https://streamable.com/i1iia0

...and this driver just a bit N of the Blue Door...
    https://streamable.com/foxp74

Both on solid white lines :rolleyes:

lol we need a highlight reel of Seth swears at this stage :D
    there's a great one of british drivers swearing, caught on dashcam.

audio NSFW, obviously.

lol we need a highlight reel of Seth swears at this stage :D
    https://streamable.com/ciatgy :pac:

OK I'm embarrased now :o
    It's a bad habit - too much time in my youth spent reading the likes of the Barrytown trilogy

they do say that swearing is linked with higher intelligence.

There's something about "I don't give a **** about your indicator" that makes me laugh every time I think about it :D

There's something about "I don't give a **** about your indicator" that makes me laugh every time I think about it :D
    In that particular case, his defence for close passing me (in a 24/7 buslane :rolleyes:) was that he had his indicator on. I was none too plussed to say the least.

• Advertisement

If you went to the trouble of making a report, followed by a written statement, how come you're happy to now go no further? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the process and the credence accorded us by AGS?

Advertisement