Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Thread Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Went out for a little local bike ride with MrsD this afternoon, and my my, the loons were out.

First incident, couple of hundred metres from home, at a little traffic calming chicane that is only wide enough for traffic one-way and has yields are either end so you have to yield to whatever is on the section. Halfway through the section and a car appears at the other end, sees us, driver decides he doesn't want to yield and comes straight towards us. Chap driving didn't like me staying in the middle of the lane and gave me the standard "in the middle of the road" nonsense.

Second incident, on a very quiet rural country lane barely more than the width of a car. SUV coming the other way showing no sign of slowing down, so I stayed out enough that they eventually had to slow. Gammon-faced lady driving was miffed that I made her slow down instead of scuttling in to the verge and letting her pass within inches of us at 30-40kph, telling me I need to "share the road".

Honestly, I think they're giving away driving licences on the backs of Weetabix boxes at this stage.
    Post edited by CramCycle on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Duckjob wrote: »
    Went out for a little local bike ride with MrsD this afternoon, and my my, the loons were out.

First incident, couple of hundred metres from home, at a little traffic calming chicane that is only wide enough for traffic one-way and has yields are either end so you have to yield to whatever is on the section. Halfway through the section and a car appears at the other end, sees us, driver decides he doesn't want to yield and comes straight towards us. Chap driving didn't like me staying in the middle of the lane and gave me the standard "in the middle of the road" nonsense.

Second incident, on a very quiet rural country lane barely more than the width of a car. SUV coming the other way showing no sign of slowing down, so I stayed out enough that they eventually had to slow. Gammon-faced lady driving was miffed that I made her slow down instead of scuttling in to the verge and letting her pass within inches of us at 30-40kph, telling me I need to "share the road".

Honestly, I think they're giving away driving licences on the backs of Weetabix boxes at this stage.

“Share the road” = “This is my road, get out of my way”

“Middle of the road” = “Middle of the lane, get out of my way”

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Which is precisely why you should give cyclists at least as much room as if you’re overtaking a car. Fair play to you, not all drivers seem to get this.

Duckjob wrote: »

Was out this morning for a ride with the family and had an almost identical incident to the above on the very same stretch of country laneway.

Fool comes barrelling up the narrow road towards us showing no signs of slowing until he had to because I stayed in his way.

I stopped for a word as he passed, and when I said he needed to slow down on a narrow road like this so we can pass each other safely and go on our way, the answer of this genius was that we "shouldn't be riding bikes on a road like this."

Its very very wearing that in order to keep you and your family safe on narrow country lanes like this you're forced to play chicken with these idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Fuxache, that's so disheartening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Was coming down the hill from Stepaside/Kilgobbin onto the Drummartin Link Road towards the Beacon. Stopped at the roundabout lights in the left lane, with very little traffic about and a car pulled up behind me. Took off and at the exit they passed me with about a centimetre to spare from their mirror. The right lane was completely empty 😠😠😠.

They then floored it while looking in their rear view - I gave chase and they were about to get caught by the lights at the Beacon turning right but completely cut another car off to make it into the straight on lane, with much horns blaring at them. I was in that much of a rage I'm probably lucky I didn't catch up.

Closest pass I've ever had. Fecker knew well what he was doing.

Cameras lads, it's the only way you'll ever have a chance of holding anyone accountable for this sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Cameras lads, it's the only way you'll ever have a chance of holding anyone accountable for this sh1t.

Not just that, drivers have started behaving much better since I stuck one on my helmet.
    Could be a coincidence...but I think what they see a camera they don't try as much dumb sh!t, which only proves that they knew they where being assho1es in the 1st place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭thebourke

what camera did you get for 40euro..thinking of getting one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

padyjoe wrote: »
    One thing for certain: there are more than usual 'mad' drivers on the road lately.
    glad you're (relatively) OK, but you're on the money here. three stupid, stupid overtakes today on a 50km spin, two towards me. people overtaking around blind bends.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Bloody Eir van followed a car overtaking on a solid white line. now he gave space but the reason for the white line is that there is a bend that fairly obstructs the view. Anyway, halfway in, he meets cars and a squad car coming and pulls in on me. Thankfully I was able to slam on. He then ran a red where a family were starting to cross. Caught up with him in Bray, laughing to himself as he watched videos on his phone while moving in traffic. I just went on as I was not going to come across as reasonable if I went up to him.

That 'follow the leader' sh*te is all too common on Irish roads. First car does a perfectly safe overtake, but they get followed blindly by 3 or 4 gobsh*tes regardless of whats on the road ahead.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    About 2 years ago my commute in London ended on a 2 lane few hundred metre road that always had some Uber taxis parked on the opposite side to me. The oncoming traffic would always try squeeze past me and run me onto the path so after a few weeks I always took the road in the middle of my lane and would get chronic abuse despite the obstruction being on their side

I wouldn't necessarily be so militant about making them wait, only the same people seem to have no understanding of the need to even slow their speed as they pass so as to prioritise your safety in a narrow situation. They generally want to storm past closely without adjusting their speed in the slightest, which is something I'm not prepared to tolerate, especially when I have any of my family with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

If I am already half way through the obstructed area they should wait and same the other way around. I should have pointed out this was late at night so its only a car or two not streams of traffic

I had a guy do this to me a couple of years ago when I was half way through a 200m stretch with parked cars lining his side. When he got to about 50m from me he moved over so his wheels were almost touching the kerb on my side and he kept the foot down. Only swerved away at the last second. Totally bullying and frightening behaviour. This despite the fact that there would be enough room for us to pass if he slowed down a little and kept over.

I fantasise afterwards that if I had a hammer in my hand I would have flung it through his window.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

hesker wrote: »
    I fantasise afterwards that if I had a hammer in my hand I would have flung it through his window.
    Whilst I've often imagined this, it takes a lot to smash a car window. Something with a pointed corner e.g. the end of a spark plug is more likely to quickly break the glass but you're unlikely to succeed if throwing it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

Having lightly tapped a Santa Fe rear window, I respectfully disagree.

Likewise - I don't like to think of my nose as 'a pointy corner'.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Whilst I've often imagined this, it takes a lot to smash a car window.

It really does!
    Had to break my car window a few years back, gave it many, many belts with a hammer and nothing!

Eventually a guy passing by told me to stop, said I'd bend the metal frame around it before I broke the glass with a hammer.

He took out a screwdriver and pushed it up under the rubber frame and pushed it upwards. Windows smashed straight away with hardly a noise.

He's clearly done it before! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

Whilst I've often imagined this, it takes a lot to smash a car window. Something with a pointed corner e.g. the end of a spark plug is more likely to quickly break the glass but you're unlikely to succeed if throwing it

My fantasy has evolved to the point where its a fairly hefty lump hammer coupled with a Thor-like throwing action.

I know someone who got locked out of his car once and went at the door window with a sledge hammer. It just bounced off it. A passer by stopped and asked “Would you mind if I had a go at that”. Neither were successful but it just shows that some people can be very helpful.

Some sobering moments there for sure. More than winced at several :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Some sobering moments there for sure. More than winced at several :eek:

Ahh classic Journal - the first 3 comments :pac:

• Advertisement

onlineweb wrote: »
    Luas crashes, some silly mistakes by cyclists here.

https://www.thejournal.ie/luas-accidents-warning-5157839-Jul2020/
    In fairness, of the incidents shown involving bikes, two involced small children (and two involving unobservant muppets)
    How many of the incidents involving cars or vans were being operated by small children?

Interesting bit of spin by Transdev in that case. 5% of incidents involved cyclists yet they chose to feature cyclists in 50% of the incidents shown in the clip.

There's a term for that.

How long before there's a near miss on this wonderful piece of infrastructure?

https://twitter.com/LkCycleDesign/status/1286320588911501312?s=19

Interesting bit of spin by Transdev in that case. 5% of incidents involved cyclists yet they chose to feature cyclists in 50% of the incidents shown in the clip.

There's a term for that.

I'll play devils advocate and say you're (probably?) more likely to be killed by a tram if you're a pedestrian/cyclist than in a car... but yeah not a representative selection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

by the look of it, reaction times by staff seem to be exceptional
    you wouldn't be able to tell from the videos they've posted, because given the nature of them, they're posting ones where the drivers have reacted well.

I wonder is that true though, not sure if there have been any deaths or enough to do an analysis but hear me out. The LUAS is not exactly a high speed vehicle, by the look of it, reaction times by staff seem to be exceptional. Bar a dead on collision where the driver keeps going, I'd actually prefer to be a pedestrian who hopefully bounces off rather than a car where i am pinned in and nowhere to go. This is obviously dependent on the fact that I am still reasonably fit and would also vary on collision to collision.
    TLDR, your almost certainly more likely to be killed as a pedestrian or cyclist in a set up scenario but in real life, day to day collisions, I wonder would the risks if analysed concur with that assumption.

I've no idea on hard statistics, hence my (probably?) caveat! Although a quick google shows up only pedestrian and cyclist fatalities - haven't found any involving motorists.

In my mind, I'd much, much prefer to be in a car (especially having seen bus/car collisions with significant speed involved and how well the car occupants held up - but that may be a different beast).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..The LUAS is not exactly a high speed vehicle, by the look of it...
    That's what I thought until I witnessed at very close range a LUAS T-boning a car at the junction of O'Connell Street and Abbey Street. I was astounded by the ferocity of the collision. A lot of people nearby ran screaming from the scene. I was on the bike waiting at a red light at the time.

yeah, one difference is that two cars colliding will generally involve two vehicles of similar mass.
    a luas tram weighs 50 tons (40m version). so about 30 times your average car. to put that in context, a car hitting me on the bike is a mass mismatch of a factor of maybe 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

On our club spin last Sunday we had 2 close calls where car and van pulled out from left side road turning left in front of our group. The first one i saw as i was 2nd on left, she never even looked, pulled straight out. Luckily the roads were dry and we could all brake hard. The second one was on way back to Gorey, coming up to the Applegreen garage on very wet road, a van pulled out in front of the group, i didn't know what happened as i was on the back, heavy brakes, shouting, i touched the wheel in front was thrown by a violent swerve towards the kerb, was sure i was hitting the deck but managaged to pull away from kerb and stayed up. In each incident the fckers just drove on, no apologies, nada.
    Then about 1km from home coming to a left turn, 2 cars coming towards me, first car going straight but 2nd car taking the turn, turned directly in front of me, had to go on wrong side of road to avoid collision, in fairness she did apologise by way of hand gestures.
    Getting harder :(

• Advertisement

what the poster was doing was perfectly legal in both cases.
    'out past the yellow line' means he was in the lane - you complain he was 'in the road' - on what planet is it wrong to cycle in the road?

and how is one cyclist supposed to overtake another? on the footpath?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

doughef wrote: »
    Cars are dangerous lads
    I daren't look at mine sitting in the driveway in case it tries to attack me.

doughef wrote: »
    motorists are dangerous lads
    FTFY

mod note - doughef, do not post in this thread again. If you've an issue with that, PM me.

Other posters - do not respond further to those posts. The poster cannot reply and we should let this die anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That boils my pi$$ :mad:

Langballs like doughef would probably try to defend that one too.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »

That is criminal and I would hope indefensible. That lane is the pits in the afternoons/evenings (i.e. when it’s active; its a 16.00-19.00 one), people fly up it. And inevitably get stuck behind parked cars anyway. I go that way in the mornings and the opposite way in the PM. I’ve seen tons of close passes on cyclists and I’m always way out in the lane when I use it at any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

New cyclist here. This thread scares the ****e out of me! Still a bit nervous on the road but getting better. I get extremely paranoid when I hear a car behind me just about to speed past me even in a well marked cycle lane.

was just saying this on a different thread in a different forum - the health benefits of cycling are estimated to outweigh the risks by a factor of somewhere between 11 and 70, depending on which report you read.

New cyclist here. This thread scares the ****e out of me! Still a bit nervous on the road but getting better. I get extremely paranoid when I hear a car behind me just about to speed past me even in a well marked cycle lane.

The other way to look at it is that this thread prepares you for some of the rubbish that goes on on the roads, and how you can avoid a lot of it. I read the previous version of this thread daily when I started cycling regularly a few years ago, and I found it very helpful. It’s definitely taught me how to be a safer cyclist, and therefore has let me enjoy my cycling much more.

And (in Dublin anyway) cycle lanes have improved dramatically in the last 6 months. There’s new protected lanes popping up all over the place. They’re not all perfect, but they’re generally a lot better than what’s gone before. There’s a noticeable change in attitude amongst authorities and the media. It’s a good time to be starting out, I think!

Thanks everyone. I am really enjoying it overall. The sense of freedom is great. Probably the best thing to come out of this pandemic for me.

• Advertisement

Just out of interest what kinda cycling you doing. Rural or urban and fitness or commute?

Fitness really or just cycling just for fun. I cycle around Blanchardstown, Castleknock and Phoenix Park.

kenmm wrote: »
    but a gesticulation after an incident just reinforces the 'Angry asshole cyclist' stereotype
    it's a gesticulation, you can't tell from the video whether it was angry or not. the first appears to be a 'you what?' gesture and the second is a open handed, palm out gesture which i certainly wouldn't interpret as angry or aggressive, i'd often use it myself as an acknowledgement or an 'ah, it's grand' gesture?

522652.jpg

522653.jpg

But what is the actual point of putting yourself in that position when you know what’s about to happen? Being safe is a lot more important than proving you’re in the right

Because if you hang back and stay out of the way, the driver will sail on oblivious that they came *this* close to running someone over due to their sloppy driving and lack of observation. And they'll never realise that.

And next time the driver ends up interacting with a cyclist in the same way, that cyclist might not be so prepared. And what might happen then?

if you're prepared for it, you can show them that they need to be more alert and careful.

I didn't say or interpret it as angry, how could I?

But others might. And it's a stereotype for many people.
    what's the takeaway so? don't even give a conciliatory gesture?

So you think correcting people on the road when you have also made a mistake (putting yourself in that position when you know it’s going to happen) helps? I certainly don’t. There’s a difference between taking your lane when it’s safer for you and will make motorists realise it’s a bad time to overtake, and going up the inside of traffic which you know is turning left just to prove a point (again bringing it back to my original point that it’s better being safe than trying to prove you’re right)

So you think letting people continue to make poor decisions without even minor consequences (drawing their attention to it) helps? I certainly don't.

The next time they make that same poor decision, the consequence could be much greater - potentially fatal for someone. Left hooks are the most frequent killer of cyclists in Ireland, or were at one point. HGVs usually responsible for the deaths, I can only imagine how many smaller vehicles caused injuries.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Keep it civil please. It’s possible to disagree with a one another without calling each other’s posts “dumb”.

Be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Well it didn't appear that way when people are banging on about irrelevant situations (dual carriageways, wtf) and teaching people how to drive.

But if you do get the point (ie don't put yourself in danger) and you either think that is dumb or it doesn't apply then fair enough.

I only originally posted because I thought this was a non event and a pretty dumb position to be in (the inside of a van at the corner of a junction).

Edit: and since we just had a new cyclists posting immediately before, I would say that I would advise anyone to practice better observation skills and not put yourself in this position. To me that's common sense.

In the video the road is reasonably traffic free and it would have been feasible for the cyclist to hang back in this case without being delayed too much. But consider rush hour where there is a queue of slow moving traffic. Are cyclists supposed to slow down and ensure they are not in every driver's blind spot at every junction? It would be difficult to maintain progress if you were to do that in many areas of Dublin city and probably other areas too.

I think the more realistic approach is to encourage cyclists to cycle cautiously, being aware that scenarios like this are likely to happen and they need to be ready to react to it like this cyclist did. Maybe cycle with hands on the break levers most of the time in areas like this? Remind novice city cyclists that you can't cycle with your head down looking straight ahead. You have to expect that the pedestrian will step out in front of you, that the driver will turn without looking or indicating, that the parked car door will open.

in a situation like that, i'm happy enough to take the lane and insert myself into traffic, but it's not something i suspect a nervous or novice cyclist might be comfortable doing, so i'm hesitant to recommend it.
    plus, the fact that the cycle lane is now wanded would make that more fraught.

however, if a cyclist was to have to sit behind a slow moving van in a junction-heavy area like ranelagh, lest the van driver do something stupid, kinda removes one of the benefits of cycling in that not getting stuck in vehicular traffic is one of the attractions of it.

anyway, the van driver was an idiot, he'd clearly passed several cyclists and was not moving nearly fast enough to clear them before swinging left. and it's not as if AJR was melting along at 40km/h.

So is the conclusion from this (apart from the van driver Fu(king up, which is obvious) that as a cyclist, there is nothing to learn from such incidents?
    not sure i'd agree with that assessment? i disagree with some of the conclusions made by other posters (yourself included - what drew me in was the 'don't gesture at motorists' comment), but that doesn't mean there's not a debate to be had.

my takeaway from this is that the parking protected cycle lanes are not an unwelcome move in ways, but they're clearly no panacea to issues cyclists face, and can make some of them worse.

Heading through Ranelagh towards UCD the new wanded lane causes big problems at the junction with Chelmsford Rd, one of the busier junctions on that stretch. The cycle lane dumps the cyclist out into the middle of the left turning lane who have a green filter arrow, there is nowhere to stop 'cleanly' if you're going straight.

I cycle this route most mornings and without fail every morning I will see at least one vehicle accelerate when seeing bikes in the cycle lane to get to the end of the wanded section before the bikes reach it - in order to pull a rapid left hook so as to avoid waiting for a handful of bikes going straight on to effectively clear the lane.

It's a real hazard and only a matter of time before a serious left hook occurs and a cyclist injury at that exact spot. I normally break the wands and head into the traffic lane about 50m prior to the junction to avoid this situation, but isn't always easy/possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement