Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Thread Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, a quick google says 'heedless of danger or the consequences of one's actions; rash or impetuous.'
    by that definition, the driver shown was reckless, no doubt about it.
    Post edited by CramCycle on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I would be happy if that was the worst display of driving to be seen.
    To my mind the biggest problem there is the infrastructure, no segregated bike lane and It should be a one way street Because it’s so narrow.

The Audi attempt to overtake is so slow that oncoming traffic while being pretty inevitable is Never in danger, they are aware of the bike when they slow and stop to allow enough room for the cyclist to continue.

It’s not that bad to be fair, they probably should have waited but it’s not reckless.

At absolute best, it's a classic example of what I said just on this thread 3 pages ago:
    Driver's ability to read the road ahead in any shape or fashion is gone to absolute cr*p....

Also, it appears the driver slowed down quickly about 1 sec in, and then thought "ah screw it i can still get through" and pushed on more to the point where
    they conceded they couldnt get away with pushing through, at which point their car was dangerously close to an unprotected kid on a bike.
    I would be happy if that was the worst display of driving to be seen.

It’s not that bad to be fair, they probably should have waited but it’s not reckless.

That's a pretty low bar of expectation you're setting on driving standards TBF.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Language doesn’t live in a dictionary.
    well, then you can use any definition you want for reckless. the rest of us might not know what you mean, though.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    The major part of the problem was the manner in which the driver dealt with the bad infrastructure.

Reminds me of a road local to me that features in my local WhatsApp group quite a bit due to accidents at one particular spot on it. These messages always refer to the "bad bend", as if that's the main source of the problem.

I don't see anything tricky about it - it's just a bend. It's been there for probably over 60 years and to my knowledge in that time it has never moved or shifted around.

What I do see quite frequently is people coming around it far too fast with their wheels well over the middle line because they couldnt be bothered to adjust their speed down to a speed appropriate for the conditions and take the correct line through the bend.

It's astounding the lengths people can go to deflect blame away from their sloppy driving.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do you navigate this particular bend at the speed limit which applies to that road?
    I'm wondering where you're going with this. Many bends cannot be taken at the prevailing speed limit even if there were no pedestrians, cyclists, traffic, etc.
    Doesn't mean that you should drive around a bend under the speed limit yet still too fast.

• Advertisement

If a particular bend is the site of multiple accidents it pretty obvious that it’s a contributory factor to the accidents.

That concept seems to be lost on a lot of people, which is pretty surprising in a forum about cycling which constantly advocates for better Infrastructure.

The placement of gatso vans has been based on this concept since their introduction. Particular areas need to be controlled and patrolled for safety reasons. Roads may appear to drivers to be safe to increase speed but as a source of accidents it clearly not.

If someone is driving a road they don’t know they follow the speed limit, if a section of that road isn’t suitable and safe for the prevailing speed limit it either needs an engineered solution (widening, straightening) or an administrative one - signage, road marking, reduced limit with adequate warning. The fact that the OP knows this bad bend is fine for him, put a potential source of danger for people unfamiliar with it.

There is a road near me where you go around 7 bends all the while the white line in the middle is a broken not solid line. That gives drivers unfamiliar with the road a question that overtaking is possible, when it should be a solid white line.

Roads aren’t perfect, far from it but we don’t demand enough of the people tasked with improving them.

I don't necessarily disagree with you on your point of inadequate infrastructure. The road I'm talking about, like so many here in Ireland, was I'm sure perfectly adequate for Ireland 1950s, but is totally unfit for purpose in Ireland 2020, not least because it has no safe facilities for anyone not in a car.

On the other hand, holding county councils to higher standards and holding our road users to higher standards are not mutually exclusive.

ofthelord wrote: »
    Hope it's ok to post this here
    that's what the thread is for!
    i was once nearly cleaned out of it by a stag in the dark on the khyber road in the phoenix park. would have startled me but for the fact that by the time i realised what had happened, it was already well clear of me.

tnegun wrote: »
    I must be wearing my invisibility suit today as for this muppet beeps at me to make way for him I guess? Then proceeds to pass too close while entering a blind bend?? https://streamable.com/oswpo1 and gives a puddle plenty of room!
    Am I hearing things or did they tap their horn around 0:16?

Yeah he beeped don't know if it was to let me know he was there or for me to get out of his way?
    I thought I heard them tap the horn again after they passed.

i'd say he gave the oncoming drivers a start too.

• Advertisement

That's a bad one. Very bad. Absolutely no room for you to make a mistake or move to avoid a pothole or anything.
    Hopefully the gardai* get the driver on dangerous driving.
    Is that on the Moyglare Rd?

* I assume you are reporting it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I'll see how I feel tomorrow it takes a stupid amount of time and as it occurred near Maynooth, Leixlip GS will forward me there, its part time station so trying to even make a complaint is near impossible.

Ring TrafficWatch at least, only takes a few mins although would be better if you could report online with a written report and include video attachment/link if available but that's wishful thinking.
    TrafficWatch forward on your report to the station in charge and you'll at least get a call back. You can then decide whether it's worth your time making a written statement in the station but at least there will be a record of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

First failed attempt to report at Leixlip a few mins ago, only civilians available as they have a large no of prisoners. I was given the choice to wait with no guarantee I'd be seen within the hour or come back later.

Report it to TrafficWatch. Not a bike incident, but back in August we reported reckless driving and they did follow up a couple of times with us. They said the driver was known to them and they gave them a warning, they did give us the option of possibly going further - we declined and said warning was sufficient.

In hindsight, if I had dashcam footage of the incident I reckon we may have pursued it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

The problem I've had with traffic watch is that they forward it to the local station who then assign it to a guard. You're then at mercy of their roster and availability on the last occasion the guard stood me up twice when arranging to give a statement then when I eventually did meet him he was supposed to be on break so couldn't get rid of me quick enough and then I never heard from him again. I left a couple of messages to get back to me but it never happened. I reckon I spent 5-6 hours on it and got no where other than loosing 3 evenings trying to give the statement.

The last time I had an experience like that, I reported it to GSOC. It turned out the Garda had issued a penalty on the basis of my phone call and his talking to the driver, but he never took a statement from me and never rang me back.

I'm not saying that's what the Garda did here, but there are ways of correcting the kind of behaviour you've encountered.

That's gas I checked for a change of ownership last night and it wasn't there! I did some sums and he covered 200m in 6/7 seconds so that's 100-120km/h

*Edited link to show the actual distance here
    "Now then Mr. tnegun, I'd like to follow up on a serious matter that I see in that video of yours. Did you cross the county boundary when you were out cycling on your bicycle"

i suspect he removed it because it's now with the gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

Weepsie wrote: »
    Not your usual near miss

https://streamable.com/clo1lr

A few years ago I was going down a steep descent at full pelt. I was used to this small dog coming out of a house to my left and arcing into a chase alongside my front wheel on the left side.

This one day he came barrelling out and instead of arcing he went right across my front wheel before pulling a handbrake turn and chasing me from the right.

My front wheel ran over his tail as he crossed me and the hairs stood up on the back of my neck. Chose a different route after that.

i suspect there was no need to change your route. that dog probably never chased a cyclist again, would have been too afraid to.

i suspect there was no need to change your route. that dog probably never chased a cyclist again, would have been too afraid to.

Nah I’d doubt that. He was one of those small dogs with no sense and no fear.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I picked up an Insta360 One R 360 degree camera on Prime Day. Hopefully I won’t have to post anything from it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I was sideswiped this morning, not a close pass, actual contact with my hand/arm/shoulder by a pass just before a roundabout. Haven't looked at the footage, but will log this one with traffic watch shortly. I'm furious, the guy just drove through me. I did stay upright, and wasn't injured really but my shoulder was sore just after. I'm gobsmacked frankly.

I rewatched and my blood is boiling. Just off the phone with the extremely helpful traffic watch. Call logged there, but she suggested I go straight to the station given contact was made, and this was more likely a hit and run rather than a dangerous overtake. One way or another I should have contact from Gardai soon.

I'd like to show the video, but for now I'll sit on it before posting it online.

An update. I gave a statement this evening in Swords Garda station. The Garda was really cool and talked through the options for pursuing this one. It really came down to either seeking a dangerous driving conviction, pursuing a dangerous passing of a cyclist penalty point offence, or having a word and giving a caution. We ended up going with the dangerous passing of a cyclist option. They felt it was uncertain whether there would be enough for a conviction for dangerous driving.

The process was straight forward in terms of giving the statement, it took about an hour all in all. They said they would be in touch in the next while to give an update on progress. Fingers crossed this will all be done and dusted soon.

I'll post the video at the end of all this, but it's about what you'd expect, car clips the bike, queue swearing by me.

Fair play for reporting it.
    The process was straight forward in terms of giving the statement, it took about an hour all in all.
    To me, the length of time required to make a complaint is far too long. It puts me off reporting some drivers for their actions especially when I know that the local Super may take the decision not to take it any further.

was the actual contact caught on camera? or would it (in case the driver contests it) just be inferred from the footage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

was the actual contact caught on camera? or would it (in case the driver contests it) just be inferred from the footage?

In short no. The camera sits on the bars right in the middle, below the stem, which does not show the handlebars at all. I also made sure to note in my statement that the camera smooths the footage a lot, which gives the impression that the camera is floating through the air. In theory it's to reduce the jitter and shake from footage on uneven surfaces. But in this instance it smooths the jarring collision to look minimal.

Given they are pursuing a dangerous passing offence, I think there should be enough there.
    Fair play for reporting it.

To me, the length of time required to make a complaint is far too long. It puts me off reporting some drivers for their actions especially when I know that the local Super may take the decision not to take it any further.

Completely agree. In an ideal world I should be able to submit the footage online with a written statement and contact details. Provided the evidence is clear points can then be given out easily. But I can't imagine that being in place at all in the next ten years.

Apparently a Hit & Run on the R403 between Prosperous and Clane, Co. Kildare
    34 year old male injured.
    For those unaware of it, it is a straight stretch of road so visibility wouldn't have been an issue. The road is also frequented by a Garda speed van.
    https://irishcycle.com/2020/10/22/man-injured-in-suspected-hit-and-run-in-co-kildare/

It is unknown if the driver suffered any injuries (the f******* ******) :rolleyes:

Apparently a Hit & Run on the R403 between Prosperous and Clane, Co. Kildare
    34 year old male injured.
    For those unaware of it, it is a straight stretch of road so visibility wouldn't have been an issue. The road is also frequented by a Garda speed van.
    https://irishcycle.com/2020/10/22/man-injured-in-suspected-hit-and-run-in-co-kildare/

It is unknown if the driver suffered any injuries (the f******* ******) :rolleyes:

There was a hit and run near Kilcock end of September - a "silver SUV van" hit a female cyclist who "had appropriate lighting".

Naturally the Garda then...
    encouraged other cyclists to make sure they have correct lighting and wear the right clothes.

"Hi visible[sic] jackets on the bicycle and good cycling equipment is important," he said.

"It is essential that people take the necessary precautions with the appropriate clothing and lighting."

From this week's Liffey Champion. I exploded a bit while reading it.

blackwhite wrote: »
    Likely split responsibility
    Surely it's the cyclists fault for not using a cycle path and forcing the driver to overtake?
    ;)

Chiparus wrote: »
    I wonder can you get the drivers insurance details?
    to what end? there's nothing actionable, insurance wise, there.

avid cyclist here . Why didn't you use the cycle lane ? Still no excuse for the drivers dangerous behaviour.
    With extremely few exceptions, cycle lanes in Ireland are not designed for cyclists, nor are the designers familiar with cycling - this is obvious from their design.
    To date, most cycle lanes are designed to help ensure that vehicles don't get delayed, no other reason. In many cases, cycle lanes can decrease safety for bike users.
    The government know this (and to date have done nothing much about it) but it is for this reason that they are not mandatory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Lad on an electric scooter coming salmoning up the now protected, one way cycle lane on Church Street this evening, with vehicular traffic proceeding along on the other side of the bollards. I stopped dead and then eased past him as he gawked at me with his mouth open.

I had a look back over the stuff I'd uploaded to streamable for incidents caused by using or occurring in cycle lanes here's a few showing the general state of cycle lanes in these country and these are probably some of our better ones! Certainly some were only a few weeks/months old in these videos.

Pinched

Plenty of room to squeeze in a lane here

Brand new lane complete with signs and traffic signals bonus pedestrian at the end

I'm turning left now

I'm going left now

Me too

Another pinch

Another brand new lane You can't really see it but just were the video starts it was decided to put a bus stop in the new lane after it was completed despite loads of room to do both at the planning stage!

Same lane another reason not to use it

Not using the same lane here encourages stupid passes so that you'll use it the next time I think is the logic

Another new lane being used as a turning bay

Bike what bike???

Two for one close call with car and truck then poor transition from brand new lane to the road.
    When I first saw the one near Maynooth, I decided to never use it. The end if it is a death trap!
    The one along the new road outside Intel is poor mainly because of the merge onto the road. People on bikes are given no merging room and are directed out into manholes on a slight bend. You're better off on the road IMO.

Yeah there are some pretty poor ones around Maynooth, I stay out of most now and can say I've given them a chance! There was a cyclist down on the Straffen road this afternoon at one of the lanes that gives right of way across an entrance to an estate was left hooked and the bike crushed. Thankfully he was up and about but with comments that he was traveling too fast for the driver to see :rolleyes:

"Cyclist achieves faster than light speed travel"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They were ticketing people for a while there and the problem looked to have gone away for a good while.

i have seen that video being used on twitter as a 'cyclists! wear helmets!' message, but thankfully the general reaction was 'you watched that video and think the main thing that would have prevented harm was a helmet?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Enduro

Not that it's any consolation, but its not just when cycling. Any non-motorist peasants can be ignored apparently. Today I got hit -twice- by wing mirrors whilst running (Glencullen area). Not wearing a helmet, so probably my own fault. Some people just don't give a crap.

Parking was also nuts around Tibradden and Cruagh. The cops really should do a sweep the next sunny weekend day. The parking fines could go a long way to paying for the lockdown!

• Advertisement

Not a near miss but more of a rant. Was cycling on a road with traffic islands every few hundred metres.

Was cycling past one of them, staying on the left hand side of the road when a car decides to join up with me. Leaving very little space between myself and the car. Scary wondering are they going to hit you being so close.
    If there's a risk of you being left short of space by an overtaking car then take Primary Position on the road until they can pass you safely.
    https://irishcycle.com/2019/08/07/you-can-cycle-in-the-centre-of-the-road-says-revised-rules-of-the-road/

Very good, thanks for this. I didn't know I can do this. But I'm guessing now that I do know, will I have drivers being dícks and giving me the horn to move? But fcuk them, I'll cycle in a safe way.

No doubt you will, but when they do, consider that if somebody blasts you with the horn while you're taking primary position in limited space you know you've successfully blocked an incompetent and dangerous driver from endangering your life for the sake of a couple of seconds (or, as is the sad reality with a lot of bad driver maneuvres, for the sake of absolutely no benefit at all)

Good and competent drivers will recognise that there was never a opportunity to make a proper safe overtake anyway so by riding where you are you're not blocking them from anything.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Was thinking yesterday when out on country roads. What is all the hedgerow on Irish roadsides for. Is it to protect farmers land and would it be a problem to clear it on narrow be ds to help viability?
    Not really in my opinion.
    The advice is that you drive/ride/whatever in a manner in which you can stop within your line of vision. Hedgerows will grow and can't be cut during the nesting season (when they grow quickest) so people should travel safely.
    If people want to travel fast in a car then they need to be responsible about it.

I'm not disagreeing but those hedgerows were planted long before we had a clue about biodiversity so that's not why they were planted. But I'm not against it as a reason to keep them
    I think they were planted as field boundaries to stop animals wandering (and possibly for defence?). They are also usually accompanied by a drain to help allow excess water to leave the soil.

Probably why you don't see them too much on the roads in the Tour de France. Not much chance of all those yellow sunflowers and wheat stalks running over into the next field
    You often see that here also where tillage farmers keep hedges right down because the headlands around the sides if a field tend to have lower yields due to the shade, amongst other things.

• Advertisement

Seanmk1 wrote: »
    Some of the NCD hedgerows come with instructions 😀
    Could be dangerous trying to read that as you cycle by!

What cyclist? sure all I could see was the sun judge.
    Given a previous verdict in the courts, it's a valid excuse for killing someone :rolleyes:

indicating does not give you right of way.

Please tell me that you're not a driver. Please tell me you don't drive like this, slapping on your indicator to claim ' right of way and cutting up other road users?

Tell me you're not a cyclist. :p
    A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle, except where the vehicle to be overtaken—

(i) has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle,

From the clip, the driver was indicating before the turn and before the cyclist had started to overtake, so the cyclist was not permitted to overtake on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Cyclist in the wrong here, or more to the point, car is not in the wrong - as hard as that is to admit. Another point - given Ranelagh is one of the tightest chokepoints on the City--> Southside rat corridors and extremely variable even on a good day, why would you choose to keep one hand occupied and not involved in controlling the bike??

No coffee is that good!! :pac:

Quick question on garda traffic watch - how long does it usually take for the station to call back after you notify traffic watch of a dangerous/inconsiderate overtake?
    Phoned them on Monday morning and have heard nothing back since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Quick question on garda traffic watch - how long does it usually take for the station to call back after you notify traffic watch of a dangerous/inconsiderate overtake?
    Phoned them on Monday morning and have heard nothing back since.
    juicer wrote: »
    Took them 2/3 days to contact me when I made a report a few months ago.

Can vary hugely, first time I logged a complaint a couple of years ago I didn't get a call back for about 2 months and Garda had to remind me of the incident as I had logged another one in the interim.

I didn't notice the coffee first time but on first watch no one was at fault. A car slowly indicated and turned ahead of a bike that had plenty of time to saunter past. All I see is 2 considerate road users

Exactly. Storm in a teacup.... or a coffee cup if you prefer

I'm believe this is someone on here...
    https://twitter.com/alanstrainor/status/1327225149293260801

Truckermal wrote: »
    It is indeed Alan lovely lad I'm delighted he reported it.
    ...for what it was worth :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement