Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Thread Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Weepsie wrote: »
    ...If they are that close, and more to the point, if they touch you in anyway, them getting a shock from a slap to the side of the vehicle deserves no sympathy in my opinion.
    I know what you're saying but, when a driver is immediately apologetic, I always regret that instinctive few seconds of anger. Perhaps I'm a bit soft!

(I've no regrets when they get bolshy about it.)
    Post edited by CramCycle on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I hit a pedestrian yesterday evening. General traffic was stopped, queuing, he was looking to cross the road, and stepped out into the cycle lane, then paused.

I was ready for it, and hit the brakes, but due to the wet and the wind being behind me, I slid into him. I managed to slow to the point that I came to a stop as I reached him, and the contact was basically a result of him putting his hands out. Neither of us were hurt, but we both got a shock.

It was a lesson for me really, regarding the stopping power of my bike in the wet, and the invisibility of my 320 lumen front light.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    I've hit 2 cars this year, and 1 in memory before. I've no guilt.
    i once slapped the side of a car on st martin's row (for those who don't know it, it's the narrow road linking chapelizod to knockmaroon hill); she overtook into oncoming traffic and pulled it right on top of me, i ended up with about one foot space between the side of her car and the kerb. open handed slap on the rear passenger window, it was a very reflexive defensive reaction from me.
    remarkably, she ended up driving along st martin's row (at rush hour) shouting through the passenger window at me at probably something like 20km/h, with oncoming traffic having to brake and swerve. there was a bit of back and forth about calling the gardai, and then she informed me she *was* a garda, so i shouted back 'right, i'm ringing the gardai and reporting you for impersonation' at which point she floored it and drove off.

Steoller wrote: »
    Deer in the bikelights moment?

I don’t think so. I don’t think he saw me at all until he heard me skidding towards him. Onus was on me to see him, of course, which I did, I just couldn’t stop. Combination of wet weather, a tailwind and my tyres, I suspect. They’re threadless Schwalbe Kojaks. I should probably get something grippier for the winter.

I felt very bad because when I realised he was fine, I just cycled off without saying anything. He was falling over himself apologising to me. I just got such a fright. If he happens to read this, I’m sorry for being a prick!

Actually, on the subject of grippier tyres, I think someone here (CramCycle?) uses the Schwalbe Marathon Pluses. How do you find them for traction/braking in the wet? I love the durability of the Kojaks, but it’s not the first time I’ve had an issue with them in the wet (I skidded braking and went head over heels right in front of a security camera on the ramp into the car park at work last year!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Grooves make very little difference in road bike tyres. Their presence on car tyres is purely to shift water out from under the tyre, but that's not necessary on a road bike because the contact point is tiny and there's no issue with water getting 'trapped' under the tyre.

Grooves make very little difference in road bike tyres. Their presence on car tyres is purely to shift water out from under the tyre, but that's not necessary on a road bike because the contact point is tiny and there's no issue with water getting 'trapped' under the tyre.

Hmm. I suppose slowing down in the rain with a wind at my back and having just come down a hill might be an option so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Effects wrote: »
    You can get studded tyres. I've never seen anyone use them here. I've a mate in Sweden who uses them in the winter.

I have marathon ice tyres fitted to old wheels and swap them when it's dodgy out. They're great for black ice but you still need to take care and be aware that cars etc will still skid. I bought them over 10 years ago and they're still going strong. Main drawbacks are the weight and noise. I'm also on a cross bike so have the clearance too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Saturday morning on Grange road, mammy motorist didn't like that I was on the road and not in my little cycle lane. She beeped me, squeezed through and broke the red light heading towards Nutgrove SC.

Another fine abomination of a cycle lane ending up ahead at those lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

I'm really getting sick of this roundabout between cars overtaking me at the island, which happened again yesterday - even when I'm taking the lane; and having to pull evasive maneuvers to avoid those who don't bother yielding to me when I'm on it.

Its close to home, so I do go through it a lot, but I don't think that I encounter as many incidents on any other junction or roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Cycling home yesterday evening on south quays taking the lane (bus/cycle lane after O'Connell Bridge).

1st driver in 04 merc pulls over from 2nd lane in on top of me, I slap the side of the car a few times to alert her of my presence as she obviously can't see all the lights and high vis and pull up to inspect her windscreen papers. She apologises a couple of times and all in order so I continue on.

A km or so later and a group of lads in a 10 octavia again pull in on top of me so I let a roar at the open passenger window, passenger looks and driver continues on and straight into the CircleK pushing me to the kerb. I follow to see tax expired since Aug 2020 so car would be impounded if there was a checkpoint. None of them said a word so I just said to expect a call from the guards.

Why can't we have a similar system to the UK with action taken such as in this example where driver gets 3 points, £232 fine plus costs for an ordinary enough incident:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

She's probably off telling everyone about the cyclist that nearly knocked her down on the footpath today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Ferris wrote: »
    That’s horrendous. I think they reported it -now let’s see what the Guards do.
    invisible-typewriter.gif

The Gardaí don't seem to be as proactive on the socials as some of their UK counterparts.

just saw this bully in a Porsche having to back down...

https://twitter.com/CitizenW0lf/status/1337175598486138883

just saw this bully in a Porsche having to back down...

https://twitter.com/CitizenW0lf/status/1337175598486138883

That is bizarre. I assumed he was planning on parking on that side, but apparently he eventually continued on down the road...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

VonLuck wrote: »
    I love the look the dog gives at the end!

It's like even the dog is saying "What a f****n ar**hole!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

South Hill Avenue in Blackrock seems to be a favourite for bloody eejits trying to force me off the road when coming at me in my lane. This happens at least once per week.

Had some elderly driver try to force me out of his way and when I politely explained to him that I don’t appreciate his behaviour, especially when he jerked his car towards me by another half meter. He resorted to calling me a f’ing foreigner. I suppose one can always be racist when the argument has been lost :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

bazermc wrote: »
    The cream of the country in Blackrock

Then I had some tool on my backside going up Wilton Terrace just for that driver to turn into the tennis courts. Maybe I need a bike cam :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

As a driver and cyclist of 20 years this has to be one of the most ridiculous statements I've heard yet "high vis doesn't add to visibility" then throws in anecdotal statement abouts blending into hedge rows, the exact opposite of what high vis is designed for.
    I spend my days driving and cycling around west Wicklow, blessington lakes and surrounding mountains. Lack of awareness is down to the individual be they in a car or on a bike. Genuinely dumbfounded by your argument.

Just an edit to add I'm well aware cyclists don't like being asked or told to wear high vis but to detract from the blindingly obvious benifts of any extra visibility aid is simply stupid. Excuse my language but I think it fits in well with the tone

Here's a thread you can read for some context: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88491882

***not me - spotted on Twitter just now...
    https://twitter.com/rohal_/status/1338555861619322889

• Advertisement

Do PIAB resolve non-medical claims e.g. the cost of damage to the person's bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

1/ that was attempted murder
    2/ you were injured , werent you ...
    you need to get the insurance details, go to the guards and demand them , and demand that this is investigated as a serious crime .

let the media know all over the place .

that person needs a hiding .

i have on occasion mulled that the best response to an angry motorist, iridescent at you deigning to touch their car, is to deny it. on the grounds that, since you didn't deviate from your line, that the only possible way you could touch their car is for them to get close enough to you to allow this, and clearly they are a driver of such skill that this is quite simply impossible, surely?

or a similar 'shout at you? why would i have shouted at you? i only shout at dangerous drivers, and surely you're not a dangerous driver?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

work wrote: »
    If a car overtakes you and you feel anyway unsafe feel free to whack the car as you are in danger. They are required to give you 1 meter space and Michael Phelp's arms aren't even that long so, in my opinion, there can be no complaints. you are letting them know you do not want to be crushed.

I don't think this is right. There are recommended distances for different speed limits, but no set distance required as far as I know?

Have a look through this camera thread from a few months back: https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058083531

Had this Citylink bus pass me in the auxillary lane on the N4 approaching Leixlip this evening.
    Scared the bejaysus out of me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That auxiliary lane is really bad. People think because there's a line of paint demarking a cycle lane, they can pass at speed as long as they're in their own lane. Would be better if there was no cycle lane marked out at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Stark wrote: »
    That auxiliary lane is really bad. People think because there's a line of paint demarking a cycle lane, they can pass at speed as long as they're in their own lane. Would be better if there was no cycle lane marked out at all.

Reminds me of this one by Airside on the Swords Road. Wafer thin cycle lane painted down the side. Coach drivers and taxis can pass you by a whisker at 70kph, but hey, it's all good because everybody's in their lane.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4411187,-6.2276724,3a,75y,143.77h,71.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssUk38PjHuZhdliL6ZWM0WQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I ignore that dotted line altogether when I ride there. Get the odd irate taxi driver, but TBH my safety is a lot higher priority than them suffering the inconvenience of having to go to the other lane for a few seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Ouch - very close one Seth. The slightest wobble and there'd be contact.

i suspect you'd get a fantastic game of institutional ping pong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

CramCycle wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, would the HSA be an appropriate body to report dangerous driving by a professional driver if the gardai or company seem disinterested?
    I've failed on several attempts to get HSA interested. Anything related to site traffic or parking and you'll be told it is a matter for the Gardai. Or when you do report a matter, they tell you that they can't tell you anything about the outcome for confidentiality reasons. I did an FOI last year which indicated that they did not investigate several deaths involving commercial trucks (which ARE workplace deaths in law). When they did investigate, they tended to rely mostly on the Garda investigation with little independent thinking.

8 wheeler grab lorry (those that lift/deliver blocks) this morning on the north quays at 06:45. Have the reg but never noted the company name.

We're both stopped at the lights before Grattan Bridge, me in the designated cycle lane which is actually good. Green cycle advance light so I proceed but so does the lorry, there's a right turn there so thought he was going to turn in on top of me despite no prior indicator but he stopped mid way before proceeding straight on when the normal lights turned green. Guess just an error of judgement.

Short while later I'm slowing and actually stopped at the next set of red lights at Millennium Bridge, lights gone red a few seconds at this stage and pedestrian starting to cross and same lorry sails through the red light. No way was/could he stop if pedestrian was a little quicker, seriously bad infringement.

Noted the reg at the next set of red lights and thereafter lorry pulled up behind in left lane for O'Connell St. Can only presume driver wasn't looking as drove straight through the red with no attempt to slow which could have been very serious.

Couldn't be bothered reporting, guards only interested in speed and national slow down days where fines can be easily posted.

• Advertisement

I'd recommend either a front or rear camera (or preferably both) to back you up in these situations.

nah, keep it simple.
    I've a Cycliq Fly12 on the front bars and it picks up sound just fine (my rear Fly6 picks up too much road & wheel noise). If you need to get a look at the driver, then just turn the handlebars when stopped.

You typically see it for sudden u-turns alright. Good visual clue....usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

That post should get all the thanks :D

nurburgring stickers, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

John_Rambo wrote: »
    "cancer protecting" pads on seatbelts

This is a thing!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

CramCycle wrote: »
    He went for it, now I easily avoided it but I made a song and dance. Now people will have looked at me and wondered why, but the truth is, if I changed nothing I would have had to slam on and possibly hit them, I avoided it but if I was a car, they never would have done it.

I did the same thing years ago but it happened on the motorbike. A car pulled out of a side road in front of me. I had taken it into account as a potential gamble so was able to brake in time. They stopped halfway across my lane, I _could_ have gone around, but since I was slowing I let it run through to stop 2cm from the driver's door.

The car behind me also stopped in time, I assume thinking this was going to be nasty.

Anyway, I didn't move, switched off the engine and stared at the driver. They wound down the window and said "I didn't see you".

The dipped headlights cannot be switched off, and I was wearing a full fluro jacket.

I also hoped they would have learned from the incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Broken or turned in wing mirrors, padre pio stickers, ANYONE wearing a hat, stickers or emblems to do with country and western music, pink cars, Dire Straits music playing, cars with "amusing bumper stickers", cuddly toys carefully placed on the parcel shelf, cuddly toys carefully placed on the dashboard, little yellow minions placed anywhere, Nurburgring stickers on a diesel Audi, driver with hoody up, pro life stickers, construction hat on show on the parcel shelf, serifed font reg plates, audible fake dump valves noises, most VW Passats, "cancer protecting" pads on seatbelts, beaded seat covers, weird tinted windscreens, small dog on drivers lap, religious paraphernalia hanging from rear mirror.

Excellent list. Though you missed "Taxi markings" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Came off the MTB a couple of weeks ago and suspect I cracked a rib.

Doored last night by a Domino's pizza driver, going fast. I'm pretty sure he saw me going past and keep opening the door. It was surreal: like our eyes locked and time slowed down. Of course I was in too much shock to do anything about it. He was very apologetic. Seemed like a decent lad. Sprawled out on the road. Bike was okay. Didn't seem like any significant injuries, so kept going on my spin.

Got home and saw blood dripping from my hand. Skinned my fingers (even through thick leather gloves that were unmarked), hip, knee. Shoulder felt weird. As time went on, shoulder feels like it might have a fracture. Only did the same collar-bone a couple of years ago from something similar (pedestrian crossing the road).

Going to have a shower and go to Mater Smithfield. Get x-rays on ribs and shoulder.

Edit (update): X-rays indicate no breaks.

best of luck with that.

• Advertisement

Nasty one fatbhoy, hope it all works out. Did you get contact details for the driver?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Nasty one fatbhoy, hope it all works out. Did you get contact details for the driver?

Nah, no point really. The hospital won't cost me anything with medical insurance, and the only damage to the bike is a scuffed pedal.

It was the guy's first day in work. He was just starting I think. I got his name and know the branch. But I won't be pursuing it.

It's made me come to the decision to buy a helmet for street biking. Might be the one good thing to come out of it.

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Nah, no point really. The hospital won't cost me anything with medical insurance, and the only damage to the bike is a scuffed pedal.

It was the guy's first day in work. He was just starting I think. I got his name and know the branch. But I won't be pursuing it.

It's made me come to the decision to buy a helmet for street biking. Might be the one good thing to come out of it.

A couple of friends said to me that sorry isn't good enough, and the more I thought about it the more I agreed. So I reported it to the Gardai with a view to claiming off his insurance for the medical charge and a set of scuffed pedals. The Garda said she'd pass on his insurance details to me so I can claim.

Just mentioning this in case it happens to someone else.

beauf wrote: »
    I regret not pursuing it when I got knocked off. I didn't really feel the effects until a good 24/48 hours later and by that time it was too late to get the details, witness's, CCTV required.

Yeah that's the thing: you don't realise the damage to yourself or your bike till a good while after, when you can properly inspect your bike, and when the adrenaline wears off and the pain and injuries kick-in.

That's what the Garda said to me: always take a look/photograph of their motor insurance disk on their windscreen.

(not me!)

DB driver urgently needs to get their out of service bus to a red light...

https://twitter.com/rohal_/status/1351461375479066626

one for cyclists going around at the moment :D

(play sound)

https://i.imgur.com/JIqR47F.mp4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

glasso wrote: »
    one for cyclists going around at the moment :D

(play sound)

https://i.imgur.com/JIqR47F.mp4

I was sent this last week by a friend who's a Dublin Bus driver. :D

i would like to know how the questions are phrased; saying that 'they didn't think they're fully human' is probably putting a controversial spin on the questions that were asked.
    that said, i am fully of the belief that the way cars are constructed and used makes them psychologically isolating.

• Advertisement

well, the gardai want all info now - there's a clear reg visible in that.

Advertisement