Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Thread Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ignorant cow in 07-TN-3272 (ironically I went this route from liffey valley because I thought it would be safer :rolleyes:)
    Went to my local station this evening only to be told that I could make a statement but the only action the Garda could take was based on this and then we'd head to court.
    He couldn't contact her to warn her without a statement: the video could not be considered evidence (it needed to be a statement).
    I left because I was in a rush to get home. :(
    Post edited by CramCycle on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Yet another car that sailed through the first roundabout at the Castleknock Gate end of Chesterfield Avenue this morning without yielding or even slowing. He’d have taken me out of it despite a strong front light and the much fabled high vis if I hadn’t stopped and roared at him. He slowed down after existing the roundabout to utter what I can only hope was an apology but never caught his words. Have the registration so might call traffic watch later to report as find it the most dangerous section of my commute which includes the full length of the quays morning and evening. They have cones circling the roundabout at present due to works but most brain dead morning commuters ignore its status and just veer around it.

Same again this morning, black Vokswagen transporter van entered the roundabout which I was already circling. I let a roar which caused him to lock the front wheels and halt the engine half way into the roundabout and I continued on. Surprised the car behind didn't rear end him also.
    I took a mental note of the reg but checking the details now some hours later and they don't match the description. In future I'll pull in and write it in the phone and/or take a picture if vehicle still on the scene which might give the motorist some food for thought for the day ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

stoneill wrote: »
    Why didn't you use the cycle path that is right there, right beside you?

Because it wasn't convenient for me.

stoneill wrote: »
    Why didn't you use the cycle path that is right there, right beside you?
    Cycle paths are designed by people ejo never use them and will therefore never properly understand why people won't use them.
    Motorists passing them see what appears to be a brilliant facility not being used which adds to the ill-informed resentment against cyclists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this annoys me every time i pass - space is usually quite tight heading westbound at rush hour, and it wouldn't surprise me if someday a cyclist trying to pay heed to the traffic clips this tarmac ramp, which would be inclined to kick their front wheel out into traffic.

instead of having the kerb dished, which in an ideal world would be a condition of the planning permission, they've subcontracted the issue out onto the main road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3814218,-6.2407583,3a,38.7y,260.81h,83.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snES_k_I8cpu1HOca-Ho2EA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Query for regular cyclists. This cyclist was cycling his bike while pulling another bike along beside him. He was going quite slow as it was uphill and as a result was a bit erratic. Definitely not excusing the dangerous overtake but just wondering what the opinion on it would be from a cyclists point of view.

**I'm in no way condoning the dangerous overtake **

It's pretty much two abreast, which is perfectly fine as long as you do not endanger, inconvenience or obstruct other traffic or pedestrians. It's how I get my bike to the bike shop (and then I can cycle home again).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

buffalo wrote: »
    It's how I get my bike to the bike shop (and then I can cycle home again).

It's how I retrieved my dad's bike when a gouger stole it from the back of the house years ago!

kenmm wrote: »
    Pretty sure its illegal

What makes you pretty sure about that?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It actually is legal.

Road Traffic Act, 1961
    100.—(1) A person on a bicycle or a tricycle in a public place shall not hold on to any other vehicle (other than a pedal bicycle which no person is driving) which is in motion or hold on to any person or thing on, in or attached to any such vehicle.

Whether you should do it or not is another story.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It actually is legal.

Road Traffic Act, 1961
    100.—(1) A person on a bicycle or a tricycle in a public place shall not hold on to any other vehicle (other than a pedal bicycle which no person is driving) which is in motion or hold on to any person or thing on, in or attached to any such vehicle.

Whether you should do it or not is another story.
    is it legal to cycle no-hands, pulling *two* bikes alongside, one in each hand?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

is it legal to cycle no-hands, pulling *two* bikes alongside, one in each hand?

I have no idea. I think we need a test case. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Almost a variant on a thing too usual to comment on, but anyhow. Some van driver in a small navy blue van (letters vss or similar) exiting Lismore Rd and turning on Fern Rd was angry I interrupted his phone viewing while turning. I shouted as he was likely to drive into me. After that, angry beeping and menacing from him. Drivers of small vans are a histrionic lot. I thought it was too dark for the camera, so I hadn't it running.

Some van driver in a small navy blue van (letters vss or similar)
    ISS?

no, but i await with bated breath.

had a frank exchange of views with the driver of a black X5 outbound on the howth road approaching killester about half an hour ago. he jammed on and swung hard into the cycle lane without indicating while a couple of metres in front of me.
    i may have gotten the red mist and slapped his wing mirror.
    i may have also forgotten to wish him a happy christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

A cyclist narrowly escaped death after being run over by a truck in northern China's Tianjin on December 19.

http://nsfwyoutube.com/watch?v=Cyq3-Rf6NIA

He has some minor injuries and can walk away, but damn lucky to be alive.
    Notice the cultural difference between China and a country like Ireland, nobody gets out of their car to help him.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

For reference, when I went to my local station a month ago with both front and rear camera footage of a dangerously stupid overtake attempt, I was told that the garda could only proceed with the new law if I went to court (as otherwise it was my word against theirs and the footage wasn't evidence per se) :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/Cyclistie/status/1211701180038029312?s=19

Is there a problem with going to court? I have made 4 traffic watch complaints. Thus far none of them has gone to court but if they did then so be it
    No but what's the point of the new law and video evidence if I still have to spend an hour in the station doing out a statement and then take a day off work to visit court over some ignorant prick? It's more of a punishment on me than the driver!

Steoller wrote: »
    Does the law need to be changed to allow video submission like in the UK?
    Is it an internal garda procedure that prevents flexibility here, or a restriction in law?
    According to the fella in Leixlip station, in the eyes of the law it's my word against hers and the video is only there to support me. The video on its own is not sufficient for anything :(

For chain of evidence purposes, I can see why the complainant would need to be in court. You'd expect a much smaller chance of having to go to court, if the person caught on camera knows they've been caught on camera, they'd be more likely to accept the charge?

• Advertisement

It possibly depends on the garda on the desk :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It possibly depends on the garda on the desk :confused:
    Yes.

"You shouldn't be out cycling at night" was the response I got several years ago when reporting a driver who made physical contact with me while passing.

(This thankfully isn't my footage)
    Dublin Bus #37 performs a number of dangerous driving manouvres...

https://twitter.com/Dublin_Suzy/status/1214293583550959617

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I took the bus yesterday and while waiting at Aston quay it was shocking to see the buses cut up the cyclists when pulling into the bus stop. Crazy overtaking and left hooking rather than pull in behind.

Nice young lady pulls straight out onto roundabout without looking for traffic, in her attempt to further block up the yellow box;

https://streamable.com/cso9x

What a ****ing mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

lawred2 wrote: »
    Was that cyclist not undertaking traffic on a roundabout?

?

In the right turn lane, turning right?

There is no law stating that you must be the sole occupier of the horizontal space of your lane.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Was that cyclist not undertaking

3a9096bd927f56b50c401a4ef8c15e95.jpg

legally, AFAIK, it's called overtaking on the left and is explicitly allowed when a cyclist is moving faster than slow moving motorised traffic.

That's pretty much the whole point of the video - to show the idiot pulling out onto a roundabout without checking for traffic.

In this case, I suspect that the driver made the flawed assumption that, because she could see stationary traffic, there couldn't possibly be any other traffic moving in her vicinity. It's not unusual to see pedestrians making the same mistake - that because there is a a line of stopped traffic, they assume it is safe to step out without checking for cyclists or motorcyclists.
    I think the video also shows another issue on our roads - far too many drivers deliberately drive onto the yellow hatched box with no hope of getting through the junction and therefore need to stop. I didn't bother wasting time counting the number of them in the above video but there was a good few.

School pick-up time?
    Still doesn't excuse reversing somewhat blindly

• Advertisement

if i see someone parked in a cycle lane, or having done something stupid, yes, i would cycle around them and be on my way.
    however, if i see someone who is actively committing that act of stupidity, i'm much more likely to engage with them.

Usually, if someone is creating an obstruction through bad driving/rule breaking I'll just go around them. Stopping to have a barney rarely improves the situation and you're just creating a hazard because the two of you are focused on arguing with one and other rather than on what's going on around you.

Road users rarely react well to be admonished by other road users. In most cases, people get thick and defensive. If the goal is to get them to reflect on their behaviour, then nine times out of ten, you're probably not going to achieve it.

Kander wrote: »
    No dangerous over take or close pass. Just someone doing something stupid and being lucky having good breaks in the wet.

https://streamable.com/bsode
    I'm reminded of my post from the other day on this...
    I think the video also shows another issue on our roads - far too many drivers deliberately drive onto the yellow hatched box with no hope of getting through the junction and therefore need to stop. I didn't bother wasting time counting the number of them in the above video but there was a good few.
    Whilst I acknowledge that she was turning right (which means that she can stop on a yellow box), she ended up obstructing the road which caused a danger to you. Her move onto the box was made out of selfishness - this is why she deliberately blocked the road whilst traffic was approaching from her right.

The driver getting defensive is not an indicator that your interaction doesn't have a positive impact. They may well get defensive, and still may well think twice about the illegal parking next time round.

Have you ever met someone who's told you that they had a full on row with someone on the road but once they'd gotten home and calmed down, they'd realised the other person had a point? I haven't....

kenmm wrote: »
    You are not there to police the roads. You have no authority and as a result no one will give a damn.

If you were sitting on a bus and someone lit a cigarette, what would you think if someone asked them to put it out? Would you think that they aren't there to police the bus?

Asking somebody to not do something illegal is not policing. Trying to physically restrain them or enact some kind of punishment (it would be way more fun if people could collect the fines from offences they report) would be policing.

Have you ever met someone who did something sh1tty and dangerous on the road, and no-one said anything to them about about, and once they got home they realised they were wrong?.

Yeah. Every time I've made a mistake, done something rash, or a misjudged something while driving or cycling, I've realised it myself and resolved to avoid making the same mistake twice.

Any time I've had someone shouting or beeping at me, they've either a.) been in the wrong, or b.) telling me something I've already realised.

Most of the time it's been a.) though. People's aggressiveness is usually in inverse proportion to their knowledge of road traffic law.

Yeah, commenting on random strangers' parenting skills usually ends well alright.;)

My own children? I think that analogy's been stretched so much that it snapped.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    This is not actually true. You are not allowed onto the yellow box unless your exit is clear. Turning left or going straight ahead is no problem but when turning right, there may be oncoming traffic that you need to wait for. That is the only circumstance where you are allowed stop on the yellow box.

The situation we regularly see is where the exit to the right is blocked so somebody drives onto the box to wait for the exit to clear. This leads to the junction being illegally blocked. This behaviour is simple selfishness.
    I understand that - I just wasn't clear

• Advertisement

Bit of a nutter taking the racing line on Strawberry Beds this morning.

5uspect wrote: »
    Bit of a nutter taking the racing line on Strawberry Beds this morning.
    Maybe that's the infamous red mini too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That is the Mini!!!

This happened this morning. :mad:

WTF can you do with these people? They're a danger to everyone.

did you get the reg?

• Advertisement

I did. It's pretty clear on the video before Youtube mangles it.

5uspect wrote: »
    WTF can you do with these people? They're a danger to everyone.

What did she say in response? I couldn't quite catch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

insane.

buffalo wrote: »
    What did she say in response? I couldn't quite catch it.

She just said ‘sorry’ a couple of times.

Hope you're okay. Have you seen a doctor? If you do want to share the video just post the alphanumeric code from the end of a YouTube URL, after the / and before any &. I upload my videos unlisted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzqfbgfYYT4

• Advertisement
Advertisement