Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Thread Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

some of these lads pass my house and you'd swear they'd be doing 120km/h by the sheer volume of noise they're making; and they pass at maybe 50km/h. if your vehicle is that loud (and i'm talking about a *small* minority of bikes here) i'd be amazed that's allowed at the NCT (or NBT, i'd guess)
    Post edited by CramCycle on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

2 examples this morning, i was overtaken by a bmw520 on the Airton road coming to a left turn, in fairness he indicated but held off turning to allow me to proceed straight on but me being the better guy i slowed up and gestured to him to turn left .
    At the next left turn a learner driver in an instructor's car overtook me and dived in ahead of me and braking hard to take the left turn :(
    In both instances the drivers could have waited the 3 to 5 seconds to allow me to proceed ahead and take the left turn behind me.
    The second one was more concerning though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

secman wrote: »
    2 examples this morning, i was overtaken by a bmw520 on the Airton road coming to a left turn, in fairness he indicated but held off turning to allow me to proceed straight on but me being the better guy i slowed up and gestured to him to turn left .
    At the next left turn a learner driver in an instructor's car overtook me and dived in ahead of me and braking hard to take the left turn :(
    In both instances the drivers could have waited the 3 to 5 seconds to allow me to proceed ahead and take the left turn behind me.
    The second one was more concerning though :(

I absolutely hate when they do that. I really don't know why they do it but they seem to think it's the right thing to do; perhaps driving instructors teach this technique nowadays. Why can't they just hold off behind you; there's no way I'm trusting a car that's a couple of metres ahead, stopped with its left indicator on, is not going to left-hook me as I pass, so I always go round its right and fly on ahead. In fact, that's pretty much what you should be doing when a car is ahead of you and about to turn left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

Near my house is a 600m stretch of dual carriageway (no hard shoulder) with a roundabout at which I have to turn right. Being a confident and assertive cyclist, I have no problem cycling in left-hand lane, and then indicating and moving to right-hand lane 100-200m before the roundabout.

It is astounding that any time I do this and there's more than five cars on the same stretch, somebody gets annoyed. If you can't overtake a cyclist on a dual carriageway, please tear up your licence.

Yesterday I got a beep as I moved into the right-hand lane. Turns out it was from the driver who had been behind me and now had a clear run. Told me I should be in the cycle lane (yawn), I replied that I was turning right ahead, and he gave me the finger as he drove away.

I debated having a chat with the Gardaí about it, then remembered it would be a waste of my time, as they'd probably see it as a waste of theirs.

fatbhoy wrote: »
    I absolutely hate when they do that. I really don't know why they do it but they seem to think it's the right thing to do; perhaps driving instructors teach this technique nowadays. Why can't they just hold off behind you; there's no way I'm trusting a car that's a couple of metres ahead, stopped with its left indicator on, is not going to left-hook me as I pass, so I always go round its right and fly on ahead. In fact, that's pretty much what you should be doing when a car is ahead of you and about to turn left.
    The guy in the bmw520 stayed out way to my right and almost came to a stop, i wasn't chancing it and gestured to him to take the turn, all totally unnecessary had he waited the max of 5 seconds to turn after me proceeding straight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

buffalo wrote: »
    Near my house is a 600m stretch of dual carriageway (no hard shoulder) with a roundabout at which I have to turn right. Being a confident and assertive cyclist, I have no problem cycling in left-hand lane, and then indicating and moving to right-hand lane 100-200m before the roundabout.

It is astounding that any time I do this and there's more than five cars on the same stretch, somebody gets annoyed. If you can't overtake a cyclist on a dual carriageway, please tear up your licence.

Yesterday I got a beep as I moved into the right-hand lane. Turns out it was from the driver who had been behind me and now had a clear run. Told me I should be in the cycle lane (yawn), I replied that I was turning right ahead, and he gave me the finger as he drove away.

I debated having a chat with the Gardaí about it, then remembered it would be a waste of my time, as they'd probably see it as a waste of theirs.

Those bloody cycle lanes have a lot to answer for: a lot of drivers expect you to use them. I'd prefer the old days when there was none...none at all. This is for several reasons. But that's just me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Huge if true. If AGS have a problem with any Twitter posting, they can report it to the Data Protection Commissioner, or they can publish a policy as to how they expect to handle reports. They can't be making off-the-cuff decisions NOT to proceed with prosecutions because they think the complainant is a bit too uppity for them.
    my comment was not in relation to the twitter post. my comment was in relation to the possible/probable lack of corroborating evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

One from our friend at Gandalfs corner

Almost came a cropper last night, coming down Tallaght bypass, stopped at lights at Lucan Road junction. 4 of us , 2 and 2 proceed on green light ,keeping an eye on the 2 merging lanes on the left, only one car coming to merge ,she was in the right (outer lane) she slows up to allow us to cross over to hard shoulder and w her intention to proceed on our outside. I was on the left of the front 2 and took another look left to make sure it was safe to proceed and suddenly an Audi A5 undertook her on the inside lane as i was starting to move across. Lad behind me said the Audi driver simply didnt see us and was moving out across the car that was allowing us to move in. Probably a foot between us at closest point :(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

secman wrote: »
    Lad behind me said the Audi driver simply didnt see us and was moving out across the car that was allowing us to move in.
    I would actually doubt that. You can't miss seeing four people on bikes on a wide open road.

• Advertisement

I would actually doubt that. You can't miss seeing four people on bikes on a wide open road.

More like he didn't look right at all, we were visible over the car to his right, he was in a fierce hurry,

folks, am moving this discussion to the hi-vis megathread, bear with me in case things go slightly awry until all posts are moved.

the discussion can be continued here

My near miss on N81 by utter wreckless driving has been removed and not a mention of a highviz :;)
    Found it :
    This morning heading out n81 towards Brittas, a van was parked on left side of road heading out, a mere bit of layby so he was blocking say 1/2 of my side of the road, i checked all was clear and moved out to pass it. There was an oncoming Truck and lo and behold a thick and dangerous bitch proceeded to overtake the truck and came on to my side of the road as i was passing the parked van. Utter dangerous and wreckless driving, she deserves her licence to be cancelled for good. There was about 6 inches of a pass, Fcukwit of a driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭hesker

Happened me before. Not a pleasant experience at all.

Have had that too with no hard shoulder either side. Not nice

I went out earlier for a quick spin to test a new casette and wore my "Stayin’ Alive at 1.5" jersey which I rarely wear.
    I was conscious of the usual impatient morning traffic but what I noticed was that not once did anyone come near me or overtake with oncoming traffic as would normally happen.
    Now, to be fair, one ride doesn't prove much but it will be interesting to repeat the exercise a few times and see if this morning was a one off or did the jersey make drivers think twice.
    http://www.safecyclingireland.org/store/
    https://spin11.com/shop/category/stayin-alive-at-1-5-safe-cycling-apparel-29#!/Stayin-Alive-at-1-5-short-sleeve-jersey-2020/p/187290367/category=23622817

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You occasionally see people over here wearing the POLITE high viz gear, sometimes with the checkerboard sections on it as well. There are a few different designs.

I suspect that it does work because they are similar enough to the Police design that it makes you think for an extra half second that maybe it is police. If it gets people who are fully aware that they are not police to do a double take then it's doing it's job. There will obviously be some idiots who would take offence at being "tricked" into thinking that you are trying to impersonate an officer and try and run you off the road still, but they would do that anyway so no difference. Getting people think for a moment that it might be and then they give more space means that it's working and then with any luck they realise that the should give others more space also even if they are not wearing high viz.

You just need to think of an alternative word to Garda that could be stuck on similar gear, although the word police is probably close to embedded in the subconscious through TV and movies that Polite should still work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

robinph wrote: »
    You just need to think of an alternative word to Garda

I think I saw "GRADE A" on a motorbiker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i think some people have been pulled over in the UK for wearing those 'POLITE' vests - because as it *is* an attempt to look like a police officer on first glance, it could run afoul of impersonation laws.

I saw something before that it started with horse riders. In reality its more a brain trick than a serious attempt at Police Impersonation

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

There is a specific offence of impersonation of a Garda, so I'd be cautious.

If it was a Dominos guy on a honda 50 it would be more funny than anything else, someone on a big motorbike, white helmet is looking for trouble and for sure is trying to manipulate traffic

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Is it manipulating traffic if you are just going about your business and hoping not to get knocked over?

Now if you were wearing those reflectives and trying to direct traffic or something then sure, you are impersonating an officer. The act of just riding around and happening to wear an incorrectly spelt word on your back shouldn't count as impersonation.

• Advertisement

just to be clear "Polite" in Ireland would be ok under any circumstances? in the UK you would need to be more careful?

fat bloke wrote: »
    I'd fancy one of their gilets but when you click through your links there to Spin11's purchasing section they don't seem to offer it? :(
    Send an email to Safe Cycling Ireland and see what he says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

i've always said to non-cyclists - if you want even a whiff of what it's like to be a cyclist, put an L plate up in your car, and watch and learn as other drivers try to bully you off the road.

It’s unreal the way people react to a perceived traffic hierarchy. I sold an Audi and briefly drove a Fiesta afterwards. I drove the same route in exactly the same manner (early morning M50 commute, in as relaxed a manner as possible, rather than lane hopping and darting into gaps). Not a bother in the Audi. People lost their minds at me in the Fiesta.

The Fiesta was the mother’s car. She says to me, “Yep, now try being a woman and driving it.”

Breezer wrote: »
    It’s unreal the way people react to a perceived traffic hierarchy. I sold an Audi and briefly drove a Fiesta afterwards. I drove the same route in exactly the same manner (early morning M50 commute, in as relaxed a manner as possible, rather than lane hopping and darting into gaps). Not a bother in the Audi. People lost their minds at me in the Fiesta.

The Fiesta was the mother’s car. She says to me, “Yep, now try being a woman and driving it.”

I learnt to drive and passed my test driving my grandads old car when they had decided he was too doddery to drive it himself anymore.

Was a very noticeable difference in how people treated it on the road though. If my mum was driving me around anywhere she'd never get let out of junctions and people would always be making dangerous overtakes on certain roads. Me driving it though and was a totally different behaviour from other road users. If she was driving it then it was a daft old woman getting in everyone's way in the battered old car, if I was driving then it was a well looked after old car that some youngster had restored or something.

if you have the plate, it'll make it harder for him to deny it was him, if you have his mirror.
    I think the driver tore off rather than the mirror was torn off

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Breezer wrote: »

I used to drive a Hyundai Getz and the amount of idiots who would try overtake me and then realise I was actually doing 80km or 100km was unreal.
    Numerous instances of tailgating as well.

I drive an estate now and no such isues
    :rolleyes:

Not really cycling related (well I was on my bike when I saw it), but a near miss nonetheless. I’m heading into work today and I’m stopped at the junction of New St/Dean St/Patrick St/Kevin St. (You may need to rotate that around in Street View, I’m on my phone and can’t share the link properly).

There’s a long truck of some sort turning right from Kevin St, beside the Maldron Hotel, back towards the main part of the junction. First he can’t make the turn and ends up mounting the path. Then when the light goes green for straight ahead only at the main junction, he proceeds to turn left, through a pedestrian crossing with the green man. There was indeed a pedestrian crossing and your man in the truck leans on the horn and proceeds through.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Big construction works happening there, so expect it to be carnage over the next year

It always was a mad junction. Where exactly? They’ve finished the hotel. Up further onto Dean St?

On the way home today. If you know Templeogue village heading towards Terenure, theres no right turn onto Dodder View Road, so I always cross at the pedestrian lights (they have bike lights on them too). Anyway, me and a pedestrian waiting to cross, we get green and a van takes the (no) right turn and through the pedestrian crossing beeping at us as he comes through.

I have it on camera, he was driving an Enterprise rent a van. Have a clear picture of the reg. Contemplating reporting it, will have a think about it over night.

Please do. I was raging I didn’t have a camera this morning when the truck driver did the same thing. If a pedestrian is on the road in front of you, you STOP. It doesn’t matter if they’re in the wrong, or if you think they are. You just stop. You don’t keep going and beep the horn. That’s how people get killed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Enterprise provide loads of vans to An Post.

And to lots of other companies and individuals. Not sure why you're singling out An Post....?

ARX wrote: »
    If you go down to your local An Post depot in the evening you might spot the van there.
    No point - that would just set up a confrontation.
    Head to the gardai with it and let them follow up on it.

The usual left hook attempt this morning, heading down greenhills Road and as i aporoached the left turn into Ballymount just before the Maxol station i was overtaken by an Audi estate who the braked hard to take the left turn, there's a cycle lane the whole way down the Greenhills road. I had to brake hard as he cut across me. The driver simply didnt take my speed into account as it wasn't a safe manoeuvre by him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

A new park opened a few minutes away from us and we put the kids in the urban arrow and went over to check it out. Lovely playground!

On the way back we wanted to get ice cream so we needed to turn right off the main road. We signalled and moved across the lane and the dozy fool coming up behind us just shoved past us and on her way. Again, completely unaware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

CramCycle wrote: »
    I'm starting to think that I am the problem

Had a guy slow merge into the bike lane going up to Sandyford to block the bike lane even though he didn't have the physical space to undertake the car (even without me there) he was trying to undertake, so he had to stop. Another lad in Shankill over took me coming up to one of those traffic islands in the middle of the road and pulled in on me. I hit the window, and he didn't even notice, turned left less than 30m later. I went after him, I really think he had no concept of what I was trying to tell him. He just said OK.

I mean, is it just me, at this point I hope it is because otherwise, it means there are alot of brain dead, half asleep, no concept of space, people operating vehicles that could kill with ease. Mena being the issue would actually be a sense of relief.

You’ve just made me want to watch Falling Down all over again. Id forgotten how good it is....

the skinny is, better not to change lanes to pass cyclists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭hesker

silverharp wrote: »

Very poor advice from that instructor. Encouraging the learner to straddle lanes with no mention of safe passing distance. The safe passing distance should be the first principle, then by all means he can advise that straddling can be a safer approach. But as it stands his advice is just going to encourage close passing.

Edit: he does mention giving plenty of room but that is too vague and overall the learner is going to distill his advice down to a simple dangerous concept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭cletus

He seems to be dealing very specifically with dual or multiple lane carriage ways. There's definitely the risk of you fully change lanes to the right, that somebody may overtake you on the left in that instance. In Ireland, you're not supposed to overtake on the left unless the traffic is slow moving, or stop start.

In the particular instance in the video, what he says makes sense.

As an aside, it bugs me to no end that he say undertaking in that video

it wasnt a risk I'd have considered, that some muppet would go up the inside, parked in my brain hopefully

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Personally, a fast moving dual carriageway is the last place I'd be by choice on the bike in the first instance. That said, straddling lanes while giving safe passing distance does seem like the better option here.

Odd close pass on Wednesday, I passed an accident in Dundrum where a fire engine was blocking the road and holding up traffic in the opposite lane. Police car with sirens came tearing towards me in my lane giving me no time to get to the kerb and stop. Guessing that they were on the way to do traffic control for the accident but scared the crap out of me.

hesker wrote: »
    Very poor advice from that instructor. Encouraging the learner to straddle lanes with no mention of safe passing distance. The safe passing distance should be the first principle, then by all means he can advise that straddling can be a safer approach. But as it stands his advice is just going to encourage close passing.

Edit: he does mention giving plenty of room but that is too vague and overall the learner is going to distill his advice down to a simple dangerous concept.

His advice seems well intentioned and I can see a certain logic in what he's saying but I think it misses the mark slightly -

The problem in his example isn't that the truck gave too much space by going to lane 2, it's that the cyclist's position in that case was not assertive enough to take control of lane 1.

If the cyclist was commanding lane 1 properly, then the truck driver going to lane 2 still would not leave enough space for a squeeze through between them.

Even if the truck had not been overtaking, but had just been driving normally in lane 2 along with other traffic, the cyclist by his/her positioning would still be leaving themselves open to those sort of dangerous drivers.

It's an interesting video but I think it's more a lesson for cyclists in the importance of defensive cycling than it is for motorists on how to overtake safely.

• Advertisement

Beeped at by a driver this morning because I wasn't using the cycle lane to cross the M4 (three 100km/h slips to navigate along the way).

He wasn't actually delayed in any way, so I gave him a big smile and a wave and told him to have a great weekend.

Beeped at by a driver this morning because I wasn't using the cycle lane to cross the M4 (three 100km/h slips to navigate along the way).

He wasn't actually delayed in any way, so I gave him a big smile and a wave and told him to have a great weekend.
    Whereabouts was this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

smacl wrote: »
    ... Police car with sirens came tearing towards me...
    A 'Police' car in Dundrum? I didn't know the PSNI operated so far south!

Apologies smacl - just one of my pet hates. Years ago at work, i was asked to report to the 'Police Station' in Swords. I never made it there and am still searching for it! :D

in certain parts of Dublin they are probably called the Feds, Yo!

Whereabouts was this?

Coming from Intel towards Celbridge. I usually come off the cycle track about 100m before the roundabout, through the roundabout on the road, then back on cycle track on far side.

Coming from Intel towards Celbridge. I usually come off the cycle track about 100m before the roundabout, through the roundabout on the road, then back on cycle track on far side.
    Yeah, I was wondering it was along there. Complete clusterfupp junction if you use the cycle paths. Somehow traffic coming from Intel towards Celbridge doesn't know what lane to be in and enter the roundabout in the left lane despite them taking the third exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

silverharp wrote: »

I've seen some of his videos previously and while they can be a bit righteous and even cringey with him staring at the camera from the driving seat this recent one certainly needs more action from the police. I do agree with him on all points made, bloody infuriating:

WhereTF was she even trying to overtake to? . There was no space...

Yeah, I was wondering it was along there. Complete clusterfupp junction if you use the cycle paths. Somehow traffic coming from Intel towards Celbridge doesn't know what lane to be in and enter the roundabout in the left lane despite them taking the third exit.

For anyone else:

On the road, requiring one yield as you come on to the roundabout: https://goo.gl/maps/pGkdbYvA2QkSuLzv6

Or on the cycle track, it's:
    * cross on-ramp from dual carriageway to motorway, traffic going 80-120km/h from around a bend, not even a warning sign for drivers that people are crossing ahead.
    * cross on-ramp from roundabout to motorway, watch for drivers not using their indicators as they come off.
    * cross off-ramp from motorway to roundabout. This one's not too bad, as drivers have to yield anyway, but good luck if you think they're going to leave a gap behind the car in front to let you cross.
    * cross road from roundabout to Castletown House/HP. Again, just watch for drivers not using their indicators, but it's quiet enough.
    * cross road from Castletown House/HP to roundabout. If you've made it this far, it's easy!

KCC and the NTA are 'looking into it', or something similar. It's a primary route in the NTA GDA network.

mrcheez wrote: »
    I was curious about this... turns out the Irish for "police" is póilíní

So I guess Ireland doesn't have a police force, just a guard force, like Iran
    We have Guardians of the Peace (An Garda Síochána)

• Advertisement
Advertisement