Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Thread Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Drake66 wrote: »
    Yesterday at the church in shankill I took primary position from the pedestrian lights because I was turning right up ahead at the roundabout towards the village. Some fella raced up behind me and then sat on the car horn from there and all around the roundabout. He then bullied his way past me on shankill main street.

I ended up catching up with him at the Bray roundabout so his antics didn't have any impact on his journey time. Some lunatics out there.

How did he respond when you addressed his behaviour?
    Post edited by CramCycle on

Drake66 wrote: »
    I didn't bother to be honest. He seemed like an aggressive sort and I didn't want to spoil my ride with an argument

I know, it can be difficult.

But this way, the chap has learned nothing and likely will not change his behaviour one whit. So now it's someone else's problem. The next cyclist's I guess.

Exactly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

This probably doesn't belong here, but I'll post it and see.

Cycling with a mate, two abreast, straight road, broken white line, no on coming traffic.

Guy overtakes us perfectly, uses the opposite lane fully, plenty of space before and after the manoeuvre, but still feels the need to beep and gesticulate wildly at us.

Baffles me

I presume that he was complimenting your road positioning by making it a shorter distance for him to overtake. Well done for being so considerate to other road users @cletus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

Nope, he was a middle-aged man in a Hyundai i30, or something similar. I was too busy watching all the frantic hand movements to clock the make and model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Saw a cyclist down at the side of the N11 just after the Kilmac turnoff northbound. Gardaí were there so I'm guessing hit and run. Hope he's okay.

After a spin a few weeks back, I was looking at the fly-bys and one lad I passed had headed off and did a number of loops along the Naas Rd near Kill. Rather him than me!

• Advertisement

Not quite a near miss but when I was out yesterday, the driver of an oncoming Merc decided to overtake a jogger travelling same direction as me but who was (correctly) on the right hand side of the road. This meant that on the narrow road (The Lords Road near Celbridge), she was now coming directly towards me (although she did slow down considerably).

When passing, I, in my usual courteous way, referred to her with a rather undignified term.

However, it was only when I had passed them both, that it occurred to me that the jogger may have thought I was saying it to him...

Anyhow, I stopped at the end of the road for a drink and he caught up and I apologised again but he seemed to completely agree with me. When editing the video, I let it continue to the speed gauge thing as I'm happy with that speed there as I travelled into the breeze on such a hot day ☺️

Anyhow, to get back to the near miss theme, would she have made the same move if it was her child coming towards her on a bike?

Not sure about what?

She shouldn't have tried overtaking when there was oncoming traffic (me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If I pass cyclists whilst in the car leaving plenty of space, and I see a driver behind me not do the same, I actually slow down a small bit under the limit. It really wrecks my head that they are that desperate to get past

Not my video - just spotted on Twitter...

• Advertisement

Apparently the driver tried to reverse, couldn't, so went on ahead before turning.

I've also noticed an increase in the twat-ish-ness of some yellow plate drivers recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Cycling home this evening on Aston Quay (not long after O'Connell bridge) where I always take the lane due to the poor road surface and with busses pulling in and out. Traffic was pretty heavy and more or less at a standstill but that didn't stop a taxi in a big Ford Tourneo (van/people carrier) from pulling in on top of me. Despite two rear lights and the fabled high vis he kept coming to within inches so I slapped the side of the van to alert him of my presence as if he hadn't seen me already.

He took umbrage with this leaning on the horn, 10 meters further with both of us stuck in traffic he then got out of the taxi, grabbed me by the arm and punched me in the shoulder. He was threatening further assault for hitting his van as he said but at this stage pedestrians were saying something from the footpath. I was in cleats with one leg clipped in so pretty immobile so just gave him a few verbals and said to expect a visit from the guards.

A short stocky hothead who was behind me all the way to the council buildings where the cycle lane opens up and he was left behind in traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Yea, noted the reg and checked his details Vs the Check Driver app which checks out.

He didn't have any fare on board at the time either which I think would strengthen a complaint to the taxi regulator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Nice Sierra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

That’s a depressing read and man/woman children is indeed the perfect word for these people. Overgrown babies comandeering heavy vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

Careless driving and a modest fine. Would have liked to see the prosecution proceed on DD.

He then went on to say something in the order of "we all make these mistakes every day when interacting with cyclists" and continued to struggle hopelessly to make it sound like a "these things happen" defense.

FFS, the cretin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

To me that's an unarguable case of dangerous driving, although I'm not well up on the law. He got off very lightly. Fair play to you for holding it together.

Commuting home along the buslane of a congested N4 on Friday evening, I was greeted with the usual hostility that existed in pre-pandemic times. Drivers illegally using the bus lane felt they had priority over someone legally using it (me!). The skoda completely took me by surprise but the dickhead in the white car was just out to have a bit of fun by endangering me. Bear in mind that I'm on a flatbar hybrid (doing an average of 32km/h according to Strava) so you're taking about centimetres between me and him.

When he pulled up alongside me with his passenger window down, he was shouting about how I should be using the cycle lane (the irony!) but each time when I told him to pull away from me he responded with "what are you going to do about it?". I'll tell you what, sonny, I'll be reporting you to my local station for careless driving, that's what!

I presume that was his intention and it will be worth mentioning it to AGS tomorrow (had hoped to report it today but herself had other plans for me).

Is it worth my while reporting the Skoda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

This incident happened in Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Leicestershire. (google maps).

This shows how wearing a helmet can save your life. Cyclist had nothing broken just bruised and sore, bicycle a total write off

It does look like a case of 2 wrongs. Motorist made the first error taking the incorrect path through the roundabout. The cyclist is signalling to go straight ahead on entry to the roundabout then fails to stop, instead veering at the last moment in front of the car going the wrong way before he is hit.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Reported the Dacia driver this morning. Emailed a draft statement to the garda on duty in the station and later dropped down the video on CD. He didn't get a chance to transcribe it but will over the next 48 hours and I will pop in again just to confirm & sign it.

From our conversation the allegation will follow the usual process but looks like your man could be in a bit of bother soon, hopefully on a careless or possibly even a dangerous driving charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

I’d say chances of a DD charge are remote to say the least, based on what it seems to take to have that charge brought

I know it is harder to get someone on that so I'd be happy with careless. I think that you can hear the driver mocking me as they are encroaching in on me will go against them. We'll see soon enough anyhow.

• Advertisement

You see, this is one of the reasons I'm against bike lanes and segregated bike lanes: drivers will now expect cyclists to use them all of the time. I seldom use them and I don't want anyone telling be that I have to.

There's very little cycling infrastructure that is designed for cyclists. Then as you say some of these can be left unmaintained.

However, much of what appears to be good infrastructure is left with multiple stops to allow motor traffic pass, etc. and you slowly arrive at a point where it becomes too much hassle to use the cycle lane.

However, people will often use the road despite a perfectly good safe segregated cycle lane nearby. One such example is along Clontarf where I often use the road. Why? Because I'm turning in a short distance ahead.

IMO, mandatory cycle lanes (as in you have to use them) aren't a problem by themselves. If you look around Netherlands, especially rural areas you see lots of roads that are for cars and people on bikes are simply not allowed to go on them. The difference is, as we all know, in NL when you see that and you turn your head and see the alternative bike infrastructure that people on bikes "have" to use instead, it's of such a high quality that people would use it anyway, whether they were forced to or not.

Problem in Ireland is when it comes to delivering cycle infrastucture is that planners perceptions of the requirements of modern cycling culture seems to lag about 50-100 years behind the reality - many of the cycle paths we have now would no suit be perfectly adequate for a 1920s cyclist wobbling along at 8kph in a tweed coat and cap on a high nelly. For a modern commuter cyclist who needs to cover 20km in a reasonable amount of time to get to work safely, not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

There's a specific part of the sequence at the traffic lights to allow cyclists to cross at the changeover. Which is fine if you know about it, could do with some sort of signage or directions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

FFS, some people are absolute tossers!

An eyewitness to the aftermath, Oisín Ó hAlmhain, tweeted: “Cyclist knocked over by car at roundabout near Castlenock gate of Phoenix Park. Paramedics on site. Avoid the area. Hoping that he is ok. Neck brace being used.”

He said that another motorist beeped for him to get out of their way 5 seconds after passing the collision.

I think it's a lot more serious than just people being tossers.

After coming off my bike before, getting up with blood all over my arm and leg I had a taxi driver slow down to gloatingly shout out his window at me - "That'll knock some of the attitude out of ya!" - My attitude was apparently because I had filtered past him a couple of moments before and made progress down the road when he was stuck in a line of cars.

Some peoples minds are just completly f**ked and incapable of any rational thought or reasoning when it comes to people on bikes.

Report that. The deliberate swerving in orrder to block you at the end also shows that it was all malicious. Was there any horn blowing?

Incidentally, the date needs to be updated on your camera.

Passat - weapon of choice for a legion of Rock Apes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Volkswankers seem to have left me alone lately but the Landrover brigade stepped in almost instantly.

The number of crap overtakes both on the approach and also on the roundabout itself (when I'm taking the first left towards Leixlip) has resulted in me clearly taking the lane to the point that there clearly isn't room to overtake without risking their paintwork.

The clown overtaking you into the bend is just utter stupidity!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Two close passes within minutes of each other this afternoon. I was heading home early to go to Lucan Gardai station to give a statement and submit the video of the black Nissan above. Open videos in the YouTube app for the 360 version for the visceral feel.

On a positive note the Gardai I spoke to today were sympathetic.

Not a near miss but could easily have been the end of a kid in a buggy or someone coming out from one of the side entrances - absolutely feckin mental...

• Advertisement

This happened yesterday, exact same spot as the one above. I **** despair.

Mine? It's the Lower Lucan Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Had a near miss with a pedestrian last night in the dark. Should have spotted him but I think I was focused on cars and looking down at the manholes at the time. Annoyed with myself for something that now looks quite obvious...

Horrible stretch, right by the golf club. Avoid on a bike!

• Advertisement
Advertisement