Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Thread Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I brought my ebike in for a service to Citywest today. On the approach to the N7 from Baldonnell a Callinan Coaches bus driver sped past me against an oncoming car and then immediately turned into what I presume is the new Amazon warehouse. He was insanely close. When I went up to him to ask what the point of it was he just verbally abused me.

200m down the road and coming to the on-ramp for Brownsbarn with another one of their coaches passing in the driving lane a blue BMW buzzed between us again insanely close. Fucker went to the petrol station where again I caught up and of course it was all my fault for merely existing.

What was supposed to be a quick spin down to drop off my bike after work was the worse cycle of my life. What’s the **** point?

Post edited by CramCycle on

Just an update. The coach company has been responsive and is dealing with the driver and will be communicating the importance of safe overtaking to all their drivers. They also will cooperate with the Gardai when ever the traffic watch report is acted on.

I didn’t use a camera because it was just a short trip to drop off the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

^^ I commuted to Baldonnel for a year or so and still cycle that way regularly. The roads around Baldonnel Business Park are totally inadequate for the traffic that uses them. The whole area has turned into a logistics superhub - from NVD to Amazon and a heap of other distribution centres. An ideal location, no doubt but the roads are too narrow and winding.

None of the above is an excuse for close passing a cyclist but the roads certainly don't make for a safe cycling environment.

I regularly meet NVD articulated car transporters on this road as well as large 40ft curtainsiders. Lots of tipper trucks due to the construction of additional logistics warehouses that will lead to even more HGVs. There's also the red double decker buses using the back of the old Lufthansa Airmotive site to shuttle Intel staff back and forth to Leixlip during the construction works there.

Imagine being overtaken by an articulated truck here and suddenly another appears oncoming around the bend........ It almost makes the N81 look like paradise!!

That whole area is so built up that Newcastle has been practically swamped by industrial units. I'm sure Celbridge will be next in 10 or so years.

Apologies for the mostly OT post.......................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Startled by a very close pass this morning on a deserted road outside Skerries just after 6am. It was strange because the driver passed me very slowly with their right indicator flashing but didn't really change their position on the road. No aggression/horn blowing so I'm wondering if the driver just lacked spatial awareness. It was dark and wet but I was well lit up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭hesker

I encountered the same thing about 3 or 4 times on the Tour de Beara this year, without the snot rockets thankfully. Made me think it was on purpose to try to dissuade me from drafting on to the back of the group, which I had no interest in doing anyway. But definitely had that intimidatory vibe to it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Saw this on StickyBottle...

Backstory: A trucker has been sanctioned with a driving ban for a head-one near miss with a cyclist – who just happened to be an off-duty pro-cycling-camera police officer.

(Not quite a near miss but...) Went out last night to collect my laptop from the office. Heading back towards home, I stopped at a red light (on the Ballyowen Road in Lucan). A bus pulled up beside me. When the light went green, the driver did this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Surely the cyclist has some fault there for undertaking the van??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

She started overtaking on the left before driver started indicating, so perfectly legal manoeuvre. Onus is on the driver to signal in time and check the path is clear before progressing. Hard to check your blind spot in a van like that I'd say, but that doesn't remove the responsibility from the driver.

An experienced cyclist would be cautious about being on the inside of a vehicle coming to a left turn, but that doesn't make it the cyclist's fault.

She was undertaking. Similar to how the video taker was undertaking the Citroen just before. That car seemed to come pretty close too. Yes driver should be checking mirrors but no-one should be undertaking.

Put it like this - if she was riding a motorbike and did the same thing - who would have been wrong?

If ever I am in traffic and I need to pass slower cars I generally overtake on the right.

• Advertisement

You need to update yourself on the rules of the road - cyclists are explicitly allowed to overtake other vehicles on the left, except in certain conditions, none of which were present here.

Believe it. But I don't want to get into an internet argument.

Hands up - I actually didn't know it was legal to undertake - however I wouldn't do it unless at slow speed and the cars were stopped. It never feels safe.

As mentioned above - a bit of experience on her part would have helped - coming up to a junction like that a left turning car is always going to be a risk.

Finally if you stop the video at 11 secs you can see that the indicator was on before she actually started passing the van. Also consider that the side repeater indicators on the van should also have been in her vision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

It's not even about checking his mirrors before the turn. Any half-decently observant driver knowing they are going to be turning left soon would have clocked the ongoing presence of a cyclist approaching on the left from about 6 secs onwards (just after she passed the car behind), and known to hold back for a second or two until she had gotten safely past.

Judging by some of the comments here we really hold drivers to some sh*te standard of driving these days.

Interesting but not really surprising...

from this tweet...

In practice it can be a right of way over cyclists coming from behind, as they are not allowed overtake on the left if a driver has indicated an intention to turn and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle (as per the relevant SI).

Probably the last I'll comment on this as I figured this discussion was just going to go this way, but just to counter whatever is telling you I don't cycle at all - I cycle plenty - just over 6100 km in the last 12 months. And I have plenty experience cycling - started racing underage in the '80's. However I also drive (and have done so competitively also) so I have an awareness from that perspective too (I get the feeling that this thread is populated by a lot of non driving cyclists - and probably a good percentage of those are a certain type also I'd say)

I've never had an accident with a car while on my bike. Could I have had - yes - if I cycled with the assumption that everyone around me was going to do everything by the book and had excellent cycling or driving ability. They don't. There are a lot of idiots out there. And that is why everyone has a duty of care to themselves by having the awareness of what could happen. She did not show that at all.

That cyclist in the video could have made reasonable progress if she had been travelling at the same speed as the van. The difference in speed was marginal and from whoever posted the screenshot above it is very clear that the indicator was on BEFORE she had passed the back of the van. And no one has acknowledged that the side repeaters would also have been in her view even when she started passing.

Back to the cycling training, racing and equipment topics of this forum for me though - this thread turned out to be what I expected - sorry I posted here. One for me to avoid in the future. 🙄

Anyone who cycles around the Leixlip/Lucan/Dunboyne/etc areas wil be familiar with the red double decker busses that are used to ferry contractors from car parks to the Intel construction site. People will also no doubt be familiar with the behaviour of many of their drivers. I'm at the point where I'm fed up with them.

This was this morning's pointless overtake...

Complain to Intel - either via Twitter (https://twitter.com/Intel_IRL) or email (intel.ireland.corporate.affairs@intel.com).

The last time I sent them a video of a stupid overtake, they took strong action against the driver. PM me if you want details.

Same crowd that nearly ran me off the road in Baldonnell a few weeks back. I do a lot of work with Intel so I'll be raising this with them also.

The bus I was on the receiving end of was 05-G-17730.

• Advertisement

I actually know that person at Intel through my work interactions with Intel. I’ve emailed the previous address about my experience.

I sent an email to Sarah Sexton in Intel so we'll see if anything happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Nothing involving traffic but last night heading home along the cycle lane outside Guinness on the Dublin quays, I picked up this coach screw embedded in the back tyre, straight through and hitting the rim. Thought at first I'd broken a spoke that was hitting the frame on each revolution with the racket it was making before stopping. Tyre didn't blow at least so it was a change of tube and tyre boot to get me home.

Cycle lane on the quays before O'Connell bridge covered in glass which I'd seen and avoided but never noticed the screw further on. Cycle lanes hardly ever swept so you have to keep your eyes peeled for all sort of obstacles and not just traffic trying to harm you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I’ve had 5 punctures in the last two weeks just going to and from work. I thought it was a dodgy batch of inner tubes I’d bought, but I took the tubeless gravel bike to work yesterday when I ran out of tubes to fix the regular commuter hybrid, and I got a puncture in that one as well! Thankfully it sealed itself up again. I’d had one puncture in the last two years before this.

I don’t really want to ignore the segregated lanes, since most of the new ones are actually quite good when clean, and I don’t want the hassle from drivers. Plus the general lanes are usually at a standstill at commuting times. But I also don’t want a puncture every other day.

I’m thinking I’m going to have to stick tubeless road tyres on my gravel bike (which is actually my good bike), and use it for the winter commute.

Is there an ETA for completion of the Griffith Avenue/Ballymun Road junction works, does anyone know? That’s in absolute bits at the moment and I suspect it’s contributed handsomely to that puncture count. I know it’s to improve the cycle infrastructure there, so I’m trying not to get too annoyed about it.

Transport for London have a new campaign out called "See Their Side" where each person involved in an incident should see how the other person might have experienced the incident.

One councillor, Jo Rigby, tweeted this letter in response...

Personally, I get what they were trying to do but don't think they thought it through fully. The fear of nearly knocking someone down is not the same as the fear of nearly being injured or killed.

Sarah in Intel just came back to me...

Hi Seth,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

My apologies for the delayed reply – I wanted to ensure that I had connected with the appropriate people to adequately address this.

Safety is absolutely paramount at Intel and I am sorry that you have encountered such issues as described below. I have shared the detail of your email with the our construction safety team and with the bus vendor themselves. I have been assured that the bus vendor has been made aware of this specific issue and will contact you directly to follow up – please let me know if this does not happen.

Additionally, our lead construction contractor onsite is launching a cycling safety communications campaign which will include a number of videos and other communication tools. This is a campaign that they been working on for several weeks as they are aware of the need to raise the safety alertness on this subject. The campaign is due to launch next week.

Please do not hesitate to reach back out to me should you need to.

Take care,

Sarah

Whilst I'm happy with the response so far, I don't particularly want to speak to anyone in Callinan's - I am curious to see if there is any impact from their cycling safety comms campaign though.

• Advertisement

I missed a call/got a voicemail from a representative from Callinans yesterday but that was followed up with a call today from a representative of Exyte (the main contractor) who profusely apologised for the incident and told me that they would make sure there was no repeat of it. He reminded me of the forthcoming cycle week information thing they are holding and how they would be doing all they can to educate people about vulnerable road users.

Shortly afterwards the representative from Callinans called me again and repeated the same message - apologised profusely and made no attempt to defend the actions of the driver but offered a commitment that in addition to what has already been done, all drivers would be made aware that saving a few seconds on the road isn't worth the risk - if you can't overtake safely then don't!

From what I gather, a fairly strict punishment has been made against the driver which should serve as a stark warning to all of the drivers. Hopefully, we won't notice the red busses from here on in.

As an outcome, I'm happy with how this has been dealt with by all companies involved (both in terms of speed and in how it was followed up). From what I've been told, it seems to have been a more constructive process than sitting in a garda station for half an hour dictating a statement only for the super to ignore it because I wasn't killed.

That's all good to hear. Looks like there'll be a whole new site opening up off the R449 in the near future, so probably more busses to be added to the fleet.

Is that not just for a temporary car park?

http://www.eplanning.ie/KildareCC/AppFileRefDetails/211594/0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭hesker

It’s not a junction as far as I know. More like an entrance on a bend

• Advertisement

I note in both applications that people using the existing cycle path and footpath will be forced to give way to traffic turning in and out of the new developments which goes against all best practices and the DMURS but this is Kildare Co Co who won't give a toss

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Drivers only ignore new cycle lanes?, I've seen them ignore one's that have existed for 10 years :(

I missed the boat on the previous one (I thought it was a car park on the Intel site), but I've been in contact with my local reps about the current one.

An odd one tonight. I was coming down Mobhi Road in Glasnevin doing about 43-45 km/h, in the bus/cycle lane. A car was driving in the general traffic lane beside me. As I passed the left turn for Home Farm Road, the driver let rip with the horn. I didn’t see the car again afterwards. There wasn’t much other traffic around. I can only assume he/she was attempting to overtake and left hook me, but had misjudged my speed, and then got annoyed when he/she realised their manoeuvre was going to be physically impossible to do while also slowing down to take the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I wonder if it's the same guy who shouted at me there before. The car park for my office is on the right just before the lights and I've been screamed at for not being in the cycle lane when turning into it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The oncoming car stopped, the cyclists didn't.

Yaris driver should see several points and a fine for this crap

I went through the Acts as best I could a while back, and a driving lane is specifically referred to as a "lane" (likewise a bus "lane"), as defined by road markings, etc. A cycle track is only ever just a "track".

All relevant overtaking, yielding, changing lane, etc. legislation refers to "lanes". A dashed white line indicating a cycle track gives you no extra legal standing - you are still overtaking on the left. Ditto a solid white mandatory line, even with wands.

Paint is not infrastructure, it will not protect you physically or legally.

(The situation above where a driver does not indicate before a cyclist has started overtaking on the left is not relevant to this discussion, that's covered by a cyclist' right to overtaking on the left given that the driver has not indicated an intention to turn. Driver totally in the wrong there.)

The car was in a left turning lane and crossed the cycle lane and is completely at fault. The right lane is a straight ahead lane. Prior to the installation of the bollards the left lane was both a straight ahead and left turning lane. It was lethal for cyclists as drivers would encroach on the scrap of cycle lane along here and bully cyclists off the road. In the past I would take the right lane from the Hilton and continue on to the Phoenix Park. Now all that conflict is concentrated at these lights and I'm not yet sure of the best way to traverse it.

This junction needs an advance light for cyclists (they added them at a previous set of lights) and a bike box to allow people to get into a safe position. Also drivers need to stop being idiots.

It's one of those situations where it will depend on what Garda you end up dealing with. Your video arguably shows no indicators, but it's only a momentary view.

I'd say you'd be very lucky to get a Garda sympathetic enough to do more than get the driver's side of the story, and if they dispute any aspect, then it would end there. I hate to be discouraging, but that's my experience.

• Advertisement

I think if I were to follow up with anyone on that, then it would be Dublin City Council along with each and every councillor (excepting one particular "pro-cycling" prick!)

Legally a cyclist is perfectly entitled to overtake on the left, except in certain situations none of which were occurring here according to the only witness we have.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/112384088/#Comment_112384088

😂 Did you read the linked extract from the SI? That's literally what it says. Overtaking on the left is legal "except where the vehicle to be overtaken has signalled an intention to turn to the left".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Side swiped/left hooked this morning by a grey Renault Traffic van at the junction of Arran Quay and Church Street. When facing a red light would cross the three lanes of traffic and continue on the segregated cycle lane but when the light is green I continue on straight and cross at the next junction. Clipping along at about 30km/h with a green light the van comes parallel and pulls across me (no indicator either for that matter), no option but to turn with the van or I was down and under. Two rear lights and covered in the fabled high vis of no use if as I suspect the driver was on the phone or just a moron. Clipped my hand and despite a roar and slapping the side of the van he still turned left and drove on up the road without stopping.

Call logged now with traffic watch with the reg details whatever may come of it. Have cycled that section of road hundreds of times and never a problem previously specifically there, occasionally the odd Bus Eireann driver tries to intimidate once past the Church St junction when taking the bus lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Awful situation Dr C, hopefully you are doing ok. CCTV would be great, or if somebody with a dashcam was aware they might have recorded it. More incentive now to get a camera for my bike.

I’ve always found Dublin 15 to be one of the worst parts of Dublin for volume of traffic. I think drivers get frustrated and angrier in general as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I was close passed earlier by a fella who evidently had left his Christmas shopping a little late this year. He overtook me at speed in the bus lane going past DCU inbound on the Ballymun Road. He then rejoined the main lane and proceeded to do the same average speed as me the entire way to Phibsborough, where I overtook him and didn’t see him again. Only he did it by tailgating the car in front of him and sitting on his brakes the whole way 🤷🏻‍♂️

Merry Christmas everyone, be safe!

Right in front of the health centre too. Loads of elderly people and kids crossing there the whole time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

The drivers that honk at you are the sh*t ones. They're angry because you've disrupted their normally sh*t driving and momentarily forced them to act like a decent driver would.

Competent drivers won't be put out at all by what you do.

Advertisement