Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Thread Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Lads with all the stuff about big claims in the media, if a car hits me can I make an injuries claim off their insurance?

Was talking to a lad today who was in a small enough tip in his car and ended up with bruising and soft tissue damage. He ended up with a nice cheque. He said he basically just gave the insurance company medical records and they offered him money.

Years ago I was knocked off my bike and ended up similar and never did anything. In theory could I have, similar to how it works of someone crashes into you when you are in a car?

Yes of course you can, that's what's it's there for.
    Post edited by CramCycle on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

That's one of the worst I've ever seen, I'd 100% be going to the guards

I reported it to Traffic Watch, lets see if anything happens.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

5uspect wrote: »
    I reported it to Traffic Watch, lets see if anything happens.
    Keep on them as that was absolutely desperate and, to be honest, you were incredibly lucky.
    After being fobbed off my my local station, I recently emailed AGS about how I could submit a video. I was told the following by a chap in the DMR Roads Policing Division...
    "You can send an email with the attached video to the Superintendent’s office in your locality. May I ask where your local Garda Station is so that I can provide you with this email address?"
    I emailed back saying that my local station was leixlip and the response was "You can contact Leixlip_DS@garda.ie with any relevant details of your issue"

I had a very close pass late last year on the N4 (it's in the old thread) and there was a Garda car just at the next Pertrol Station 200m down the road. He gave me a similar address for the Lucan station and I dutifully send on the video and never heard anything again. I figured that with Traffic Watch there might at least be some accountability.

Couple of years ago I had a close pass in Castleknock and I emailed the station and the responding Gardai was extremely helpful and gave the offender a verbal warning. So it's pot luck really.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I wonder could you make a 'vehicular assault' claim against her insurance? Citing the endangerment and stress etc. If nothing else, it would mean her insurance would likely go up next renewal...

I've no interest in that. I would however see the close pass law enforced.

I would however see the close pass law enforced.
    ...for the first time :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

benjamin d wrote: »
    Is there legal provision to attribute a portion of blame to the taxi in that situation if the cyclist was hit?
    i suspect not, nor should there be. you can't use someone else's bad behaviour as an excuse to drive badly yourself.

A cycle lane is a separate lane, so in effect you changed lanes in front of another vehicle at short notice.
    Are you sure about that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Did you hand signal that you were going to pull out and vear at least 3 meters across the road in front of a faster moving vehicle ?
    at least 3 metres? i assume you didn't watch the video so. plus, he left the cycle lane approx four seconds before the close pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

at least 3 metres? i assume you didn't watch the video so. plus, he left the cycle lane approx four seconds before the close pass.

+1. Anyone who thinks he moved off his original line by >3 metres seriously needs an eye checkup.

Apart from that, in order to continue his progress (due to the parked taxi in the cycle lane) he actually moved out very smoothly and predictably which is exactly how we are supposed to drive/ride. The car would have been still well behind when he finished adjusting his line.

If the driver did any sort of reading ahead of the road (also how we are suppose to drive) she would have seen a lack of space developing in front of her and would have eased off to let 5uspect get through the tighter part safely. That's a courtesy that drivers extend to each other all the time but it apparently becomes beyond many people as soon as a bike is involved.

• Advertisement

Did you hand signal that you were going to pull out and vear at least 3 meters across the road in front of a faster moving vehicle ?

A cycle lane is a separate lane, so in effect you changed lanes in front of another vehicle at short notice.

3m? Really? I agree, you need your eyes checked.

I think you’re confusing the cyclist doing the veering with the one in front of me. As always, I looked over my shoulder and signalled well in advance, but she was travelling much faster than expected and was clearly not paying attention.

I cycle this route everyday and have to navigate countless vehicles parked illegally in compulsory cycle lanes.

I cycle this route everyday and have to navigate countless vehicles parked illegally in compulsory cycle lanes.
    Just to pick up on a term you used: the solid line along the cycle path indicates a mandatory cycle lane (not compulsory cycle lane) which means that it is mandatory for cars to stay out of them.
    Only contra-flow cycle lanes are compulsory. You can legally cycle outside of all other cycle paths.

Just to pick up on a term you used: the solid line along the cycle path indicates a mandatory cycle lane (not compulsory cycle lane) which means that it is mandatory for cars to stay out of them.
    Only contra-flow cycle lanes are compulsory. You can legally cycle outside of all other cycle paths.

Ah yes, you’re right, I used the wrong word. For some reason I’m not thinking straight today.

i suspect that was a driveby post.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Slowing down to make a right hand turn having signalled myself and car behind me proceeds to overtake me on the wrong side of the road and on a stretch of road where two cars would struggle to fit through.

Realized just as I was about to make the turn that they weren't slowing down let alone stopping so stopped myself.

Local Garda station who I normally find to be decent had zero interest in listening to my complaint.

Next time someone pulls a stunt like that I'm going to be sorely tempted to see if I can catch them and take it out on their paintwork.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Interesting find for the day
    he pulled across in front of you?

One really stupid response to that...
    "Driver is in the wrong chasing him like that. But all cyclists should wear hi-vis jackets. I never go out without one day or night."
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Came on to check if there was any notice of above, came on the scene later and suspected it involved a cyclist. Blue van with "park anywhere lights" in right hand lane and bicycle up against the wall on the bridge with a few people standing around.

Ridiculous you can't make a witness statement. Saw a driver strike a cyclists with his wing mirror on the quays a year or two ago who continued on, effectively a hit and run. Reported it to TrafficWatch who in turn contacted Gardaí but they wouldn't take my statement a few months later as the cyclists hadn't reported it.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I work right beside Tara Street. An absolute mess for cycling. It's 3 / 4 lanes in places, all fast moving traffic despite it being a 30kph zone and not even a token bike lane. A complete shambles right in the centre of the city thats 100% devoted to motorised traffic.

Insane lane swerving there too as people try to skip the queue to turn left there. Have seen people swerve all the way across from the far right lane to jump the queue at the last second on more than a few occasions.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I work right beside Tara Street. An absolute mess for cycling. It's 3 / 4 lanes in places, all fast moving traffic despite it being a 30kph zone and not even a token bike lane. A complete shambles right in the centre of the city thats 100% devoted to motorised traffic.

You know what, I only partially blame the motorists who speed there at much >30kph, I blame the fools that designed the road that way and continue to allow the road to remain designed that way.

A 4 lane road, whether in a built up area or not fosters a driving culture that is the opposite of calm, it subconciously tells drivers - "we want to carry as much traffic through here as quickly as possible".

Any signage put in telling motorists to slow down, mind pedestrians, mind cyclists etc. is incongruent with, and is going to be cancelled by the much more powerful subliminal message of how the road looks.

Exactly the same deal with the quays which look like dual carriageways. Why would you have to do 30kph on a dual carraigeway ? It doesn't make sense.
    Who plans central city roads like that ? Its the polar opposite of traffic calming . It's nonsense.

daragh_ wrote: »
    Nearly wiped out here last night around 7.

I was in the bike path - a Beemer came up the filter on the left as I was passing and just kept going. There's a stop sign which they ignored.

Lyzyne Deca Drive, flashing Cree, Hi Viz Jersey and full street lighting are no match for complete lack attention and inappropriate speed.

I managed to escape without coming off by swerving right out onto the road (from the bike path) but for a few seconds it was touch and go. Any traffic behind me and I would have been toast.

I had a similar incident over a year ago here. Similar junction but lots of backed up traffic, a driver pulled out of the far side of junction and I went over the handlebars. A second car coming up the main road the opposite direction drove over me and my bike and didn't stop.

Also cosplaying as a Xmas tree in high-vis, IXON Core front light, SeeSense back light.

• Advertisement

aah, wouldn't it be nice if the quays were like this...

https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/1216052575939833858

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Plasmoid

Not really, what are they meant to do with it? No complaint from the injured party means legally the incident didn't happen.

Dangerous driving?

I thought the decision to prosecute or not in Criminal Law cases was up to the DPP, not the Gardai. Surely if they'd struck a wall, the Guards would (or hopefully should) be interested in following up regardless of reports from the wall.

aloooof wrote: »
    I'm recently back from Amsterdam and all I could help thinking was:
    1. "I wish Dublin was like this".
    2. "I'd absolutely hate driving in the city".

After visiting places that have gotten it right, it seems so obvious that cities should be built for people and not for cars.

I did some travelling (by car unfortunately) around in rural NL in November and what stuck me even more that the number of bikes in the cities was seeing lovely separated cycle tracks running parallel to the roads between cities and towns.,

Even more striking again was seeing cyclists (obviously not half as many as in the cities), but of all ages including schoolkids happily riding these routes even in the most rural parts between cities and towns. I couldn't imagine seeing anything similar Ireland where intercity city/town support for cycling is virtually non-existant.

I think that there, is possible even greater of a marker of a great cycling culture, where ordinary people not only cycling in numbers in the cities, but are using cycle routes to go these longer distances. I think when you remove all the danger and apprehension that goes with having to share the road with (and particularly with hostile) traffic, what you're left with is pure stress relieving enjoyment. I also think if you do that many more people will jump for those options even on longer distances.

The really sad thing is it could be so similar here, if only our policitians would open their eyes, but they still prefer to spend most of their time banging on about electric cars in any talk about sustainable travel.

Maybe we could try this :D...

https://twitter.com/jeremyburge/status/1217122852765229058

...and if you doubt that it's real then take a look @ it on Streetview (on all four fourners)

It's pretty much standard for grid systems over there. Having spent a good bit of time over there it actually works quite well for the most part. As long as you don't have tourists driving ;) . Means there's always a walk light in some direction, no dead time where it's all car traffic and no pedestrian time so pedestrians effectively have full priority. I prefer it to our system of having to stand and wait while traffic turning left/right has the priority tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Duckjob wrote: »
    I did some travelling (by car unfortunately) around in rural NL in November and what stuck me even more that the number of bikes in the cities was seeing lovely separated cycle tracks running parallel to the roads between cities and towns.,

Even more striking again was seeing cyclists (obviously not half as many as in the cities), but of all ages including schoolkids happily riding these routes even in the most rural parts between cities and towns. I couldn't imagine seeing anything similar Ireland where intercity city/town support for cycling is virtually non-existant.

I think that there, is possible even greater of a marker of a great cycling culture, where ordinary people not only cycling in numbers in the cities, but are using cycle routes to go these longer distances. I think when you remove all the danger and apprehension that goes with having to share the road with (and particularly with hostile) traffic, what you're left with is pure stress relieving enjoyment. I also think if you do that many more people will jump for those options even on longer distances.

The really sad thing is it could be so similar here, if only our policitians would open their eyes, but they still prefer to spend most of their time banging on about electric cars in any talk about sustainable travel.

Yep, I remember cycling along the polders as a kid on holidays there. The road below on one side and the sea on the other and we just went all day at family pace. It was lovely! Must have been nearly 25 years ago now

Stark wrote: »
    It's pretty much standard for grid systems over there. Having spent a good bit of time over there it actually works quite well for the most part. As long as you don't have tourists driving ;) . Means there's always a walk light in some direction, no dead time where it's all car traffic and no pedestrian time so pedestrians effectively have full priority. I prefer it to our system of having to stand and wait while traffic turning left/right has the priority tbh.
    The Germans do it too, and for all their BMW manufacturing and autobahns it seemed to work pretty well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Breezer wrote: »
    The Germans do it too, and for all their BMW manufacturing and autobahns it seemed to work pretty well.

Italy and France too. Makes complete sense of course, when turning you should give right of way to pedestrians going straight, green light or no green light.

I was passed with a foot or less to spare in Phibsborough heading inbound this evening, despite being what I considered reasonably far out from the kerb to discourage this. Totally pointless MGIF: the lights at Doyle's Corner were red up ahead, there was a queue of traffic, and I passed her out again within 5 seconds. I lost it, which I don't often do: stopped and roared "You got far, didn't you?" at the driver. I felt a bit bad when I saw it was some young one who looked confused and terrified in equal measure at this man on a bike shouting at her.

I was looking at the Fly 12/6 CE combo as secondary (or perhaps primary) lights/cameras last night, and I think I'm going to get myself a late Christmas present. I don't scare easily but the level of muppetry seems to have increased since the new year for whatever reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Breezer wrote: »
    I lost it, which I don't often do: stopped and roared "You got far, didn't you?" at the driver. I felt a bit bad when I saw it was some young one who looked confused and terrified in equal measure at this man on a bike shouting at her.

These are the people that kill cyclists and then get a suspended sentence.
    But if she was confused she has no idea what happened and will do it again.

I don't think the driver in that case gave a ****. I've noticed it a lot these days whether I'm out for a jog, cycling or driving. They don't give a **** about stop or yield signs no matter who's on the road already, just drive straight out and leave it to everyone else to react.

They usually make **** of the cycle lanes in the process too. Those cracks and potholes aren't from bicycles.

droidus wrote: »
    Yup, the bigger the car the bigger the c*nt.

https://twitter.com/karlstanley/status/1217863730584793090

I'd be taking a snap of his insurance disc, and email the pic above to them referencing his policy number plus some helpful supporting docs like a google map of the street and signage denoting the contra flow bike lane.

Probably wont have any effect but might give these toerags a bit of unease if they know their f**kology is being reported directly back to their insurer.

Duckjob wrote: »
    I'd be taking a snap of his insurance disc, and email the pic above to them referencing his policy number plus some helpful supporting docs like a google map of the street and signage denoting the contra flow bike lane.
    might be worth tweeting one of the insurance companies to ask how they would respond to such an email?
    however, i suspect their response would be that it's not actionable, and even 'a customer breaking the law does not necessarily put us at higher risk of having to make a payout' - even though penalty points on your licence is used as a metric for how safe a driver you are.

i'm more exercised by people doing personal business in commercial vehicles. which is more of a tax issue than an insurance issue, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I had a warm response from Axa when I emailed their fraud dept about drivers doing commercial work in private vehicles....
    They may have already notified their insurers. I am sometimes required to use my car for work duties (and I don't mean travelling to and from work). My car is private and my insurance policy is private but my insurance company have been notified.

If anything, it's probably costing them more as they are not benefiting from commercial tax, VAT rebate etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

i'm more exercised by people doing personal business in commercial vehicles. which is more of a tax issue than an insurance issue, really.
    I'd say 99% of taxi drivers are guilty of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

My own one today (NSFW) - understandable as I touched the side of the van, they were that close.

Mc Love wrote: »
    My own one today (NSFW) - understandable as I touched the side of the van, they were that close.

That's one for the gardai. Looks like he didn't even cross the solid white line.

Some good news in relation to close passes...

https://twitter.com/sticky_bottle/status/1219396718896336897

...and another ignorant idiot is spotted on camera...

https://twitter.com/AlanDub13/status/1219568639705305089

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

You report incident to TW, they contact local station, investigating Garda from the station will then take the footage.

Will you get a pulse number or should I ask for it?

coming up newtownpark avenue about 15 or 20 minutes ago, someone in a black BMW decided to pull out of a side road and into the cycle lane as i was passing. missed me by about a foot; we were both going slowly at that stage but i genuinely would not know whether it was deliberate or accidental on their part. they probably were still asleep.

• Advertisement

a mate of mine cycles from very near there into the IFSC. i suspect you may have crossed paths once or twice.

Advertisement