Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Thread Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd nearly be tempted to go back and ask the garda to see his sarge or even his inspector and mention how you're considering reporting his dismissive attitude to an allegation to the ombudsman

Post edited by CramCycle on

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭seanino

tbf the guy in the station was fine . It was the guy on the phone who was dismissive and questioning everything

The garda in the station had a number of options to pursue the driver (both in terms of their dangerous driving and threatening behaviour) but chose the I can't be arsed approach.

I dont know - he doesn't process it apparently. There was dangerous driving - was told by the garda on the phone its not considered dangerous driving unless its deliberate. Like how would he know that without being there!? There seems to be a general "can't be arsed approach". I didn't hang around anyway. There were all sorts of characters there :)

By my understanding, you didn't even make (dictate) a statement to a garda so it will really go no further.

I did make a statement. Garda got back to me next day looking for date/time which I could give him exactly as I was recording the ride with GPS. What I said was he thought it would not get categorised as a traffic collision as no damage to bike/myself.

Yes unless cctv on samual beckett bridge. They didn't think so which is surprising considering its an important route and relatively newly built. Need a camera also - any recommendations?

At least you had footage. I might try and follow up on mine in a week. I would have thought they could have done the culprit involved in my incident as careless driving, this was never suggested :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

So today I took the lane coming into Lucan from Strawberry Beds approaching a red light. Two cars overtook against incoming traffic and then stopped for the lights. I’ll post the video later.

Stupid, ignorant ****ing ****s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

So the latest on the above is that Garda spoke to hammer wielding punishment passer. He claims I attacked him and threw punches at him (I am making up the hammer incident and punishment pass) and will be making a statement against me.

Garda advising that if this goes to court then it's my word against him and most likely thrown out of court. So reading between the lines he wants me to drop this and not pursue.

So current position is that I won't make that decision for a while yet and make him walk into a Garda station to put all his lies down into a statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I think first of all I want him to walk into the station and make the statement which is blindingly obvious to the Garda lies. I did question why and how I would throw punches at a motorist whilst clipped into a bike and secondly why he is only now proceeding with making a statement now. It's not clear whether he is claiming I made contact, just I attacked him and punched/attempted to punch him through the window.

I want to cause this gent as much stress as possible so will leave it hanging over him for some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

There was a case in court recently (civil I think), where the cyclist was doored. The driver claimed the door was already open and the cyclist hit it. The judge believed the cyclist. Let the other guy make a statement and see what the Garda makes of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Nothing for ages and then 3 today!

First at Church St/Mary’s Lane (https://goo.gl/maps/5AViUyTBFGmo5sPq7), I’ve just entered the junction to go straight. The light goes orange and the woman coming the other way, waiting to turn right, decides that’s her cue to go. If I’d been going any slower she’d have driven into me.

Then at Hart’s Corner (https://goo.gl/maps/zc4cRnSsmYZJxFT57) a fella in a Passat or similar comes from my left out of Lindsay Road in front of me and drops anchor, car perpendicular across the entire bus lane. I toss my own anchor overboard and come to a dead stop very quickly. He waves apology and points to the motorcyclist going past in the lane next to me, as if it’s the motorcyclist’s fault he drove out without looking. That one scared me.

Then a taxi driver is pulled in to the left, actually in this junction on Patrick Street (https://goo.gl/maps/A6dRVbBtzgq7zgQZ8), blocking the up until then bollard-protected cycle lane as well as half the general traffic lane and the junction itself. There’s about 6 cyclists in the cycle lane and the cars in the lane beside us all trying to negotiate our way around him, trying to watch everything at once. I ended up cycling very slowly into the back wheel of the cyclist in front of me as I looked over my shoulder trying to pull out. I said sorry, and there was no harm done. I was less polite to the taxi driver.

I think I’ll be going camera shopping at long last.

Edit: just bought front and rear cameras.

• Advertisement

Yeah, It's a disaster. I've nearly been taken out of it before by someone doing BOTH at the the same time.

They were heading out of town when their light turned red, and skipped through the garage, crossed the road, then barreled through the BH carpark. The fact that the East-West traffic lights turned green meant they had to gun it slightly to make it into the carpark, which is what made me notice them.

Ridiculous - she's practically in the junction there. Thats not swords road by any chance?

Ok has the same useless bike lane that veers off to the left if you want to go straight on. A good spot for dumb f**k drivers to beep you out of it if on the road going straight lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

Of interest (and probably to @tnegun and @Seth Brundle ) is the proposed scheme to upgrade the cycle lane ending at the roundabout, but from the other side. As far as I can make out, it will be segregated as you approach the roundabout, with no easy merge back onto the road to continue straight through toward Maynooth. Instead you'll have to come off at the pedestrian crossing into the queue of traffic (see below).

Experienced cyclists who know the area will probably move onto the road and take the lane from the business park entrance where the cycle track will be level with the road. But some giant bike signs on the road would be useful to let drivers know that not all cyclists can use the cycle track to reach their destination here. Consultation is open until 19th August.

https://consult.kildarecoco.ie/en/consultation/section-38-roads-traffic-act-1994-proposed-interim-cycle-scheme-r148-station-road-leixlip-intel

Cheers - quite a negative submission just made to Kildare Co Co.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Cool story bro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Nothing I know off in Ireland but could be a good one to forward on to Ashley Neal on YouTube for some commentary and added exposure. He's a driving instructor in Liverpool and often does driving instructor tuition and general road safety and offers some pretty balanced comments, he's getting into cycling now also which should be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

But how do you expect them to facetime somebody to show them they are eating the mcflurry?

You are just not thinking about the driver...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

He was saying that in reference to the earlier close pass then continued to say it after the run over. I’d put that down to adrenaline alright.

Exact same thing happened to me. Car coming straight for me. They were actually driving wrong way on cycling lane. Had to keep waving and hoped they'd stop and not run me over. They eventually did at last minute. Told them they were going wrong way up a a one way on cycle lane and instead of turning around - they kept going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Some places have those light weight flexi bollards on corners. They should be ubiquitous on corners, given corner cutting seems nearly universal, and a menace to cyclists. Also a bad lane design as so many think a cyclist can only go on a cycle lane.

Me myself I always shift lane, or shift to the right of an indicating left turner (plus so many people cannot corner without cutting it endangering someone going left) and a careless cyclist still is entitled to his safety.

• Advertisement

Had a close one this evening. Travelling from Leixlip towards Hazelhatch at about 35km/h, a driver decided to overtake as I was passing Elm Hall Nursing Home (here). When she was level with me, an oncoming car came around the bend. Rather than brake and pull back in behind me, she maintained her speed (which wasnt that fast) but moved left towards me.

Knowing what's happening, I braked and pulled left, while she was now (i believe) fully in my lane with the back of her car beside me. I think the oncoming car also braked but they weren't really what I was thinking about at the time.

As she continued on her way, I pulled over and stuck her reg into a blank email (as I have goldfish memory (I think)). As I headed on soon afterwards, who is pulled in outside Hazelhatch station but herself. As soon as she saw me she moved off again but I caught up with her at the roundabout. Managed to knock on her passenger side but she drove off.

I went off on my way and had myself a lovely spin in the evening sun. On my way home, I pulled into Leixlip garda station and gave a statement to a sound garda (who himself cycles and knows what it's like out there). We'll see what happens from here.

To be fair (and in no way justifying the drivers inability to stay in the correct lane), I think RTBI has posted other videos at that bend and by now he should know that it would be prudent to kinda merge with traffic going through. Even after the bend, it is apparent that the cycle lane ends and the subsequent bus lane looks to be well used by parking vehicles. He should have known to ease off knowing that the white van would be going through the bend at the same time as him.

The only thing that a flashing indicator tells you is that the bulb works!

Popped over to my mam's earlier and on the return journey, I decided to wander around the Phoenix Park.

Coming down Military Rd past the Chapelizod entrance with the intention of heading up Upper Glen Rd, a driver who just came into the park turned towards me (map), clearly without looking despite me having right of way and she having two big red STOP signs (and a painted one on the ground). Not sure how I managed to avoid a collision - she seems to have turned right into the lane I was in but I managed to swing to my right where there was a bit of space. She pulled in a little further up and I turned up after her. In fairness she was quite apologetic but then said something which took me by surprise: "I probably should have stopped at the Stop sign". I was momentarily lost for words when I heard the "probably" bit but I managed to say something like "no, you should have stopped at the sign as that's why they're called Stop signs".

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mmrs

Not a near miss but twice over the last month or so I've had drivers have a go at me for not using cycle lanes. The first instance there was no cycle lane, the driver beeped at me and made some aggressive hand gestures. I usually ignore this stuff as I find it irritates me and puts me off for the rest of my cycle. I caught up to this fella who was stuck in traffic and nocked on his passenger window. I asked him what his issue was. I calmly explained I am not required to use a cycle lane (especially non-existent ones) and in fact he misused his horn. Felt good, he was a gobshite and he knew it.

The second instance a Mrs Bucket type lady pulled up beside me and asked did I know there was a cycle lane beside me (a useless one) and I asked her (kind of politely) did she know I'm not required to use a cycle lane even if it is available. She told me I was a danger to myself. This is all while she was driving alongside me in a housing estate, not paying proper attention to the road so that she could vent at me. She then drove off at speed and I shouted some expletives her way. This got me riled up.

I've feel since lockdowns have ended some drivers see it as their duty to be **** to cyclists. Still I love cycling and my commute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Someone beside me in an advance stop area in a lx400 jeepythiny(c)(r)(tm) accelerated off the lights on the way home from work last week. You'd like to think it would have enough power to clear a cyclist, but not so it turns out so the driver squeezed in on me. Anyway, cue beeping, but from the car behind.

Eventually the Lexus gets enough room free from oncoming traffic, as does the car behind who i gave the :shrug to and got some sort of "warning" comment.

At the next lights, i stop beside the car and the driver says "i could see what was going to happen, they were never going to pass and I could've sworn you were going to be taken out". So, fair play to them, i apologised for doubting them and made my way past the Lexus and on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

I don't do the camera on the bike thing, but yesterday a 40ft truck overtook me and a car was oncoming, his trailer was so close to me when he pulled back in, that was a scary moment!

Thankfully not me but I witnessed what would have been an horrific incident yesterday while out on the bike.

I stopped at the junction at the top of Ash Hill (between Maynooth & Dunboyne) having come from Kilcloon (map link). A JCB farm loader with the long silage bale tines sticking out up high was coming up the hill to my right and a large tractor & trailer coming along on the left. Both moving at a decent pace. The loader driver flicked on his indicators to turn to his left (to head down the lane I had just come) but for whatever reason steered to his right meaning the tines were heading straight for the cab of the tractor. With milliseconds to spare, the loader driver turned left and down the lane. The vision of the tractor driver with his arms covering his head is still crystal clear in my mind.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Had a pheasant fly out of a ditch a few years back and was so close some of the wing feathers hit my arm, scared the crap out of me at the time. Earlier on the same ride a white fan almost knocked me off the bike and just missed me by 2 inches.

Part of me was very thankful when I go home 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

This is not a near miss, but I don't know where else it belongs.

Driving out of work yesterday, a colleague was ahead of me in his car, and there was a bicycle in front of him.

My colleague kept a nice distance back, good overtake, plenty of space given, basically what you'd want in an overtake.

Having a cup of tea with him in the staffroom this morning, and he told me he was super conscious of overtaking the cyclist, because he knew I was behind him.

Can't figure out whether it's a good thing or a bad thing 🤷‍♂️😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I hope you told him you're omnipotent and the next time he's behind a cyclist he should think WWCD (What would cletus do?)

Cycling in from Parkgate St towards the quays this morning at 06:30 and at Wolftone Quay (here: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.347412,-6.2902263,3a,75y,105.12h,72.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-16pGzQtZgjZ8FaUTsX2Sg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192) using the narrow and poorly surfaced dedicated cycle lane there was a cyclist in front of me so had reduced speed. Silver Prius left hooked us and cyclist in front nearly went over the handlebars with rear wheel off the road trying to brake in time. I’m covered in high vis with two rear lights and a strong front light used to light dark country roads so he saw us but proceeded anyway so I let a shout and he stopped after he’d completed his turn. He then got out of his car to defend his decision and was adamant he had right of way and that cyclists had to yield to him and for some reason he kept pointing at the sign above which is No Left Turn from 07:00 – 10:00, Mon – Sat. Calmer than I’d usually be since it wasn’t too much of a close pass for me and it’s a section I’d always be weary off I just said if you’re that stupid you can plead your case with the guards which he was very willing to do. Will log a call with traffic watch later with the details and his registration since it’s something he’ll do again with his might is right ruling.

In the UK he would be a typical candidate for A Driver’s Awareness course but here nothing will happen since he didn’t kill anyone. Hopefully the guard can at least advise him as there was no point in me arguing with him this morning so I continued on.

Hopefully there won't be any injuries or pains that surface later. Is your bike ok?

At a minimum, get the driver to cover any medical costs and costs to replace your clothing

They don't make it easy, rang Traffic Watch this morning and logged above but they called back some time later asking me to call Bridewell Garda station also. I tried that a number of times and was on endless hold once I got through the switchboard operator.

Bridewell have an Email this Garda Station option on their website so filled out the online form with the details so hopefully someone eventually sees it and responds. They do advise "The email account is monitored periodically during standard business hours." If the email is viewed and acted upon it would be a useful means of reporting incidents, everything in writing and saves trying to get someone on the phone or worse in person for them to write everything down.

• Advertisement

No, I suspect she couldn't get through to them either as when I asked if there was anyone in particular she was speaking with in Bridewell she just said no and who ever actually answers the phone.

Only previous incident TW asked me make direct contact with the relevant station was involving road rage with a taxi driver where he got out of his car in heavy traffic and grabbed my elbow. That involved two trips to Store St station to give a written statement and then it was subsequently forwarded to Pearse St station.

Yes people do cut off from the right, a lot. The cyclist was a bit heedless of road marking (yes, road marking are applicable to all vehicles using the road and so going to the middle lane has been okay so far), but taxis and vans do use filter lanes to get ahead of those they think are slowcoaches, and people just have to watch out for those. That said, bicycles are small and the bigger vehicle have a superior right of way seems way too common. That said in the last two potential close calls, the car about to turn left (wide single carriage road) slowed so I could move ahead - in those two cases my road position wasn't ideal, that is, not moving a bit to the centre going straight ahead at a junction. That was nice.

I headed out this afternoon for a few hours around North Kildare. Dunno what it was but a fair few drivers close passed me in the ~70kms. One overtake however, took the biscuit - the driver of a blue double decker passed me close to Sallins between Millicent Rd and the Liffey bridge. I'd say there was between 30 and 50cms space between us. I don't think there was oncoming traffic and visibility was good despite a bit of rain a few minutes before - I can't believe that it wasn't deliberate.

I really need to use my cameras on my good bike. However, I've emailed them for camera footage but I won't hold my breath.

Just back from a club spin with about a dozen of us in the group (doubled up).

I honestly lost count of the number of drivers that overtook us approaching a blind bend or with oncoming traffic.

There must be a lot of really important events taking place today!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Advertisement
Advertisement