Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Thread Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

None of this will start to change until the driving test and theory test teaches people the dutch reach

Post edited by CramCycle on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

--where the tines meet the crown.

Interesting use of the word tine.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They're seemingly called blades (per Wikipedia)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

Took a slightly longer route on my way home via Slade Hill beside Saggart. In thr 38km or so, I lost count of the number of drivers that performed lazy overtakes where they didn't bother moving out far enough and in time. I don't think they were malicious- just lazy.

However, coming down the hill which is a narrow road, maybe barely wide enough for two cars, a van driver passes me and immediately starts braking. Whilst he didn't indicate, I guessed that he wanted to turn into a house on the right but there was a van coming out so he just stopped there on the road. As I walked the bike past his passenger side, I told him that it was a stupid overtake given he was immediately going to brake. His passenger thought it was a good opportunity to tell me how sure I shouldn't be travelling in the middle of the road anyhow!!!

Closer to home and with the Westerly wind behind me, I was travelling from Hazelhatch towards Leixlip and comjng towards the junction kind of opposite to The Orchard Garden Centre when I encountered the cretin in the following video.

Conscious of my crude language and that there isn't much point reporting dangerous overtaking to the gardai, this one is simply going to get filed away in my YouTube account...

• Advertisement

I had the same on the quays to turn right at the Samuel Beckett bridge. A taxi who had just dropped someone off (and I had to leave the "cycle lane"), came racing up behind me (to the red light) and shouted "bloody cyclists think you own the road" at me after I got into the right turn lane.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nice for a change!

Maybe drop an email managingdirector@amazon.co.uk, from experience they are good at feeding back stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

Truck driver is an obnoxious prick for blaring the horn and blasting through at a pinch point. Would he have done that if it was a car on his inside looking to merge. I doubt it. It wouldn’t have taken much to hang back and show some consideration for a more vulnerable person.

The rest is retaliation sh*te.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but he still had lane left even after lorry had fully passed. Also, he never actually indicated his intention to merge, but even if he had, the onus is on the person merging to ensure they do so safely.

Surely merging there with the lorry coming behind wouldn't be considered a safe manoeuvre? Same as if someone merged from a slip road onto the motorway, but did so at 80kph with a car travelling at 120 coming right behind

It's not the brightest idea to move in front of an artic but not the first time I've seen him do that.

He does seem to get a lot of dickhead drivers close passing him in half of his videos but in the other half, he seems to be trying to antagonise drivers into a stupid reaction.

• Advertisement

Re "middle of the road", I've noticed that this week (I was away for a week) DCC have managed to redefine every on-street parking space an extra 30 cm from the kerb🙄

On the plus side, there are less cars parked with wheels half up on the kerbs. That and as there's less room for filtering, there are less "near misses".

If I was bothered I'd fill the "obnoxious parking" threads.

I'd be curious to know how many drivers he forces to stop like he did with you just to tell them that their headlamps are misaligned.

If that was an actual problem then there would be something done about it!

#Sarcasm

To be vulgar: me arse!

With no enforcement, any increase in fines is simply a worthless exercise in PR.

I say this as someone who loves to drive fast & has fractured many many laws in the past - if there is nothing or nobody there to stop someone breaking the law, why would they stop?

I stopped at the lights at Leonard's corner yesterday and both cars beside me were ahead of the stop líne and fiddling with their phones. The guy nearest me got a shock of the Lucan "hiviz/blue" in the corner of his eye that he dropped the phone 🙄

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Close pass today while taking the lane passing a crane set up in the cycle track. Auld wan with a death clutch on the steering wheel probably shouldn’t be on the road.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

And yet you see the Gardai drive right by without a care in the world because the lads had some cursory cones at the back of the crane. Nobody gives a ****.

Had this bus driver yesterday getting annoyed with me travelling legally along the N4. PLenty of beeping, hand gesturing towards the cycle path and then the inevitable punishment pass...

Captured this one recently - a good example of a good overtake followed by an ignorant prick who must get ahead of the pesky cyclist and so passes me closely despite the oncoming traffic...

(note both videos have me saying some bad words!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Seems to suit self-righteous passive aggressive females nicely all the same.

They had it on their facebook page yesterday and it attracted plenty of idiots to folow up with the usual style of commentary...

• Advertisement

Ashfield House? Home to Pioneer Security according to Google

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The only good reason I can think of is if Sandra Bullock was on board and the bus needed to stay above 50mph or a bomb goes off.

What annoys me most is that all the reporting refers to a Dublin Bus investigation with little focus on any efforts by AGS.

Would the same attention be made of an investigation by say JJ Kavanaghs if one of their drivers did it? Or KN Circet?

Is this a reflection of how weak we all know AGS (and the judicial system in general) is towards road traffic infringements or something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭JMcL

For a particularly Irish take, maybe "Asumpta", or "Concepta"?

I got left hooked by some auld lad on an ebike the other day. I'd been leapfrogging with him on hills/downhills/flats/headwinds for about 8km, but just on the edge of the town a new pedestrian crossing has recently gone in with a useless on path "cycle lane" that goes for about 30m, complete with 2cm height differences at either end you have to bunny hop - plus it's usually taken as extra car parking space for parents too lazy to let little Johnny/Mary walk a minute from the adjacent football club. Anyway all this to say I was staying on the road, so yer man comes bowling past me on the right, with about 30cm to spare, then immediately cuts left in front of me to get on the "path" 🤬

(not cycle related)

You think driving on a footpath is bad? Here, hold my pint...

It doesn't always mean automatic defence of the member. A friend of mine was branch secretary in one of the big unions a few years ago and he told me about somebody that had done something stupid that was in breach of their contract. They came to the union looking for representation and were told to sling their hook.

That said, from what evidence I've seen over the years the transport unions tend to be on the militant end of the scale, so all bets are off, but I can't see any rational defence for that d1ckhead

I doubt that this is a correct interpretation of the act. For one thing it states

” where such use does not endanger the safety of road users.”

They're only exempt if it happens in the course of their duties. They can't park on a double yellow to go into Tesco for a bag of sausage rolls for lunch

I don't think that they clock off for breaks, but just like they can't put lights and sirens on unless they are in pursuit, or responding to a call/emergency, they can't break other traffic rules while simply driving around

• Advertisement

That may well be the case. I alway read this line is the exemtions section of the statutes in the performance of the duties of that member as meaning in the active pursuit of their duties, similar to the lights and sirens

I take what your saying about being on duty, but like I said, I would have assumed that things like parking on double yellows or speeding were only allowed if required in the course of their duty.

If a Garda is on patrol in a car, there shouldn't be any reason to break the speed limit unless responding to an emergency call

I quoted from that act, Section 87. The other poster seems to be of the opinion that "the performance of their duty" covers just being on duty as a Garda, for the whole of the 8 or 10 or 12 hour shift that they do (no idea what hours gardaí work)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There's something quite satisfying about having someone overtake me and then having to jam on the brakes to avoid crashing into the back of the queue of cars ahead.

• Advertisement

I waited patiently for a car to enter a petrol station - they knew they were crossing a cycle lane and footpath with people. This numbskull behind beeps and waves and eventually races around and through a red light.

I turned left after them (after climbing the hill and getting a green light) only to find him parked across the pedestrian crossing waiting for someone to get in for a lift.

Must. Race. To. Destination. ... Only. Parking. For. A. Minute.

The wording of that act reads a bit ambiguously in the absence of a definition somewhere of what "performance of their duty" means. My interpretation of that would be they're actively chasing the robbers, or hurrying to do so, with the nee-naw lights on. Doing 180 round the M50 just because Garda Muldoon is feeling peckish would be frowned on I would think.

All flippancy aside though, there does seem to be a hierarchy of Guards. There was the lad dismissed this year as he hadn't done the course that allowed him turn on the lights https://www.thejournal.ie/garda-dismissal-emergency-lights-5771844-May2022/. Presumably the lad in question had done the first level allowing him drive a patrol car but not exceed the limit or use the lights. All that said, this report https://www.thejournal.ie/speeding-penalty-points-garda-4975835-Jan2020/ (sorry for all the Journal links - just avoid the comments) seems to suggest they just pull the "on duty" line when they get done for speeding. The judge compiling the report didn't consider this a satisfactory state of affairs at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Clanbrassil Street this evening (ignore the timestamp on the rear view). I had a few “funny” incidents yesterday, and with the rain today I reckoned drivers would be frustrated and in a hurry, so I reckoned I’d stick the cameras back on. And today I get this.

This one scared me a bit. I’ve never reported a close pass. To be honest I don’t think I’m going to go through what seems like the hassle of reporting this one. I’ve seen far worse ones on here go completely unpunished. I did look up the car’s details, out of curiosity. NCT is in date, but motorcheck.ie has “30 pieces of information” about the car, whatever that means. I don’t think I’m bothered paying to find out, but it seems odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That's just your common or garden w@nker - nothing special.

Good quality from the camera though - what model is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Yeah I know. I’m not going to bother with it.

It’s a GoPro on the front. Great quality, crap battery life. I might invest in the new Fly12.

• Advertisement

Seemingly another video of a person on a bike being deliberately knocked down has surfaced. Allegedly (according to the Reddit thread) he is from Dundalk and has been identified on social media...

The driver sounds intoxicated and looks to be doing 90km/h along a resedential street. However, the intentional hitting of what appears to be an elderly man is dispicable.

no way that was 90km/h though

Yeah, upon review, I think that's his fuel range or something. He's doing about 30km/h looking at the speedo on the right of the cluster

I'm well familiar with that roundabout. Like most of that new piece of road, it's design is quite flawed if you're not driving a car (although I'd expect nothing less from Kildare Co Co).

The approach from Leixlip really should be left lane for turning left (towards M4) and right lane for straight ahead towards Intel & Maynooth.

Had you used on the cycle lane then you can pretty much assume that you won't be able to cross the dual carriageway safely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Any sound on that video, not getting any from direct link or on twitter. How did you hear the driver's response

There isn't even a dip in the kerb to help cross. Outside one of the largest private employers in the state, the new stretch of road with adjacent on-footpath cycle path is complete sh1te!

I took a longer route into work this morning and went past Intel and the roundabout you mention. Just before I passed Intel, traffic was queueing for the lights at the bridge and I was moving past them in the cycle lane. A lady in her mini-SUV pulls out of the turn on the left (Accommodation Rd) into the queue but most of her car blocking my way. I saw her doing it and although I had to brake hard, I knew I'd be fine. However, she didn't even look down my way just in case.

Further on at the Intel roundabout, again traffic was queueing from Leixlip (and the M4) towards Intel but in the right hand lane. I, in the left lane, had an empty lane and proceeded to cross the roundabout. A driver coming from the M4 direction decided this would be a good opportunity to cross the roundabout and only for what came out as a loud growl, he would have been into the side of me. Thankfully his window was slightly open - if not, would he have heard me and hit the anchors on the roundabout?

It's mad. People are so bloody anxious to get to work and once there they want to get home!

So your rant is that you couldn't safely pass a slower vehicle in front of you🤔

Not really a near miss, but I just can't get my head around this obsession with getting in front. This is one of the rare times I WASN'T going right at this roundabout

Nobody said you were expected.

I was just pointing out the irony of your rant, as it's strikingly similar to the arguments put forward by car drivers about cyclists

• Advertisement
Advertisement