Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Thread Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

Yeah, clipped me but no damage to me or the bike. Their attitude was what really annoyed me ... "I didn't hit you, i didnt see you .. your lights should be higher" ... I have two handlebar level lights in the front.

Post edited by CramCycle on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd report it also.

Your light is evident in the video (you can see the reflection in the road signs) as is the solid white line that the driver illegally crossed before hitting you.

The driver was completely.innthe wrong here, no doubt about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

Driver was pulling into park in front of the shops at The Goblet Pub on the Malahide Road. I'll report it to tomorrow, more for the **** attitude than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Dinging

Rules of the Road are pretty clear here.

The statue is even clearer.

19.—(1) A driver shall not overtake (or attempt to overtake) if to do so would endanger, or cause inconvenience to, any other person.

The driver is clearly wrong here and a **** driver. No argument, no discussion warranted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

From what I can see the driver was indicating before passing the cyclist which seems to me that the driver intended to complete the turn knowing that the cyclist was on the left. For me, the driver was wrong in this instance but as a cyclist I wouldn't have continued up the inside on the basis of self preservation.

Agreed but the cyclist was in a different lane and so I don't think the cyclist could be considered to be overtaking on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

Are cycling lanes considered separate lanes here?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The biggest issue here is the car, however if you were in a car in a lane like the cyclist you wouldn't keep driving almost into the car. Or, atleast you shouldn't because its a silly thing to do.

So biggest blame is on the motorist, but the cyclist should have slowed down/stopped.

If the cyclist wanted to beep a loud horn or shout at the motorist thats another matter and it would be perfectly understandable.

My point (which in hindsight didn't explain it in full) was that the original law was referring to cyclists passing on the inside but within the same lane (as we didn't have cycle paths or dual carriageways back then).

I wouldn't regard the cyclist in the above video as overtaking (aka passing on the left).

Notwithstanding that, the cyclist should have either slowed down when they saw the indicators or started screaming at the driver or probably both. Whilst they may be in the right to keep pedalling, it is not in their safety to do so.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What could potentially happen here, the car basically came to a stop and you could easily be fooled into thinking they are doing so to allow the bike to pass.

I've had cars pass me and then stop to allow me to pass before turning in,

• Advertisement

Several pointless close passes yesterday and today along my commute, but I only uploaded two of them - both unnecessary (as an opportunity to safely pass was seconds ahead) and both with oncoming traffic. Note that I say the F-word in both vids

This one yesterday in Saggart with a driver & trailer overtaking me...

...and this one along Stacumny Lane between Lucan & Celbridge. Not even sure if the driver lifted off the throttle as he passed...

I dunno. Maybe it's a combination MGIF and knowing that although it will be tight, they'll be ok and sure legally nothing will happen anyhow

Do drivers really think like this? I know it's what many cyclists assume, but it always struck me that overtaking like that was down to them not even really registering that there's a bike there. Or if they do, it registers the same way a bollard or a sign post or a traffic cone does, i.e. as long as I can squeeze by without hitting it, it's grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

I think you missed the memo - this is the internet, there is absolutely no room for nuance. And remember too, you're posting on forum where camera footage is being posted - there is no such this as shared responsibility. Blame falls 100:0% at all times.

As a general point, very many cyclists unknowingly put themselves in positions where their safety relies on the car driver seeing them and not making a move. By that I mean things like pacing a car in its blindspot in city traffic, or squeezing between two busses and being completely dismayed when they have a close call. But what's more interesting to me is posters here admitting they do it on purpose to prove a point. To suggest that some cyclists (and drivers) do that from time to time would normally end up in a huge pile on to anyone who dared suggest anything of the sort.

I do it myself if I'm honest, some totally lackadaisical or agressive drivers do need to be woken up by a shout and a slap on the bootlid the very odd time - but I know when doing so, that the blame for any escalated outcome is partly on me. I'm not suggesting that the Nutgrove Avenue video was this at all btw, more a case of poor driving, poor timing, and the driver coming to an almost complete stop being reasonably confused with allowing the cyclist to proceed.

In fact a very similar near miss yesterday prompted me to open this thread in the first place.

Coming toward the canal at 1pm, flashing lights on me as normal, in cycle lane, going straight. 2 cars in the lane to turn left, middle lane backed up to after the bus lane ends.

1. BMW dips into the bus lane early, I assumed to skip traffic going ahead.
    2. Leaves their indicator on, I thought by mistake.
    3. Left arrow goes green, first two cars turn left ahead with plenty of room.
    4. I assumed BMW driver should have seen me since they had just passed me, so carried on but covered the brake. Looking back I think I was in their blindspot. Covering the brake was my cue to back out of it tbh.
    5. They turn left, I braked hard and just about avoid hitting them and let out a shout.
    6. They go wide (actually better than stopping dead) and then stop to apologise.
    7. I went up to the window fairly annoyed and had a go about using mirrors. No language or anything, but unnecessary looking back.

Overall a learning experience for both of us. I assumed too much and put myself in a position where I was relying on their judgment - I'm always around there and should have seen it a mile off, but pushed ahead because I had a bit of momentum I didn't want to give up.

I'm on the Greenway regularly in the bike.

Sometimes people get a fright when you "suddenly appear". I just usually give a loud "Morning/afternoon/evening folks, and when I have their attention, just say on your left/right.

I slow way down, though, because I've realised that pedestrians perception of speed can be very different than a cyclist's perception (rightly or wrongly)

About a year ago I was on a very quiet country road, with no traffic. A lady in her 60's was walking ahead of me, in the middle of the road. I called out a few times, but she had headphones in. So eventually I went past very slowly. She jumped like I buzzed past her at 30km an hour. I'm pretty sure she went home and told her husband about the cyclist that almost killed her🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Crap overtake. They had to break to get back on their side before the oncoming car. Wasn't enough space and they were too close. Shows the standard of driving if people don't remember that incident

I guess what I'm asking is what people's thoughts are on the likely outcome if I report this one to Traffic Watch?

If you report it to TW and then go down to your station to make a statement, any potential charge (for whatever offence) against the driver will be at the whim of the Inspector.

I've had some successful follow ups but, more often than not, i hear absolutely nothing back from AGS to the point that I feel I wasted my time and now I generally won't waste my time going down to the station.

Not really a near miss, but I had to let a roar at a driver for the first time ever today.

Heading down through Naas town and a fella in a Porsche started to reverse out of a commercial premises just as I was approaching. Traffic meant moving out into the lane wasn't really an option, so I let a roar. I know it was loud because people looked around at me.

I don't know whether the driver heard me, or saw me at the last minute, but he stopped abruptly.

Funny, typing it out takes a while, but the whole thing was over in seconds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Guys doing roadworks put the "end of cycle lane" sign in the middle of the (bollarded) cycle lane at Kilmainham. I just stopped in time as I was going down the hill with a green light ahead of me. I politely told them that if they don't want an accident and someone suing them they might move it so that cyclists using the cycle lane can get by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

As I approached the side of the coach house pub in Gorey , a car was stopped and as I was going past it, a young woman who had got out of the front passenger side, without looking Just ran out onto the road in front of the car she got out of and straight in front of me. She was knocked to the ground, I just about stayed up. I asked her was she okay and said to her that she never looked right before running onto the road. She apologised and ran into the coffee shop across the road, the one beside the lane into Jack & Jill.

She was blessed I was not on a motorbike 🤔

Firstly, glad that you're ok apart from being shocked.

I would contact some of the retailers around there and see if they have footage of it

Took a longer way into work today around Rathmore & Kilteel and found that because the N7 was slow, many drivers sought alternative routes which I suspect one or both drivers involved in this were doing. I was travelling towards this roundabout (travelling SE) and a driver coming from the SW and indicating to turn left on the RB (where I was) decided at the last moment to continue in a straight line. I think the driver coming up behind me was also watching traffic entering the RB and hadn't noticed that I had actually stopped, although his line was very odd if going left. Anyhow, excuse my WTF comment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭JMcL

+1 on this. I have this one on my left hood and it's easy to use with just my thumb. Nice loud clear ding as well

I turned as he was approaching and I could see that both he and his passenger were looking that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

FFS! What on earth is the driver trying to achieve? I’m presuming that the dash cam that video was recorded with was mounted in a car? Doesn’t look like a bike cam video. Where did the driver think he was going to get to?

• Advertisement

Horrible auld morning out there, folks. Bí Ullamh.

Looks like there was an incident on the Kilmore Road between Artaine Castle and Northside shopping centers. Road closed, Garda tape everywhere, and a fairly oldish looking bike on the ground heading in the Northside direction.Hope everyone involved is okay.

Horrible auld morning out there, folks. Bí Ullamh.

Both yesterday and today were busy commutes. Plenty of drivers skipping down bus lanes and then getting pissed off because someone is daring to travel in it (legally) but more slowly than them.

Looks like there was an incident on the Kilmore Road between Artaine Castle and Northside shopping centers. Road closed, Garda tape everywhere, and a fairly oldish looking bike on the ground heading in the Northside direction.Hope everyone involved is okay.

Hopefully everyone is ok but the use of tape sounds bad

Yeah, the tape across the full width of the road, no traffic allowed past in either direction, and the bike still upended on the side of the road............My first thoughts were that something pretty bad went down.

It also meant that all north-bound traffic had to divert in around Ardmore/Montrose/Skelly's Lane, which is usually choc-a-block with the school traffic anyway. An extra load of traffic, kids getting out of cars with hoods pulled up, drivers not letting others past when they should, bikes filtering through traffic that has been stationary for a few mins, the wind/sleet making it harder for everyone......whole thing was a sh1tshow.

Wonder why the bike was left there, so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Had a wierd encounter on this road this week:

I'm in the lane on the right (right turn only), Left lane (left only) had a red light. As I reached the crown of the road I hear an engine roar behind me, and a black Audi comes screaming down my left and pulled hard right across me. I managed to pull right to avoid him and let out a roar. Fella starts shouting that I'm in the way and giving the finger 😎 He pulled up to the back log of traffic stopped (road works and no left turn at Merrion gates). Such a strange encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭seanino

A non issue for me, can be difficult to get into left lane if turning into des kellys as very busy there and he deliberately left plenty of room to cycle though. If I were driving myself I sometimes to do same thing if left turn coming up on busy road. He made a tool out of himself though with the wanna fight response.

Just saw this vid from the UK on twitter - the lad on the bike says a lot of NSFW words but I guess it's understandable...

100% I never cycle this close to the kerb its only asking for trouble, doesn't excuse the attempted killing of the cyclist though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just back from a 65km spin there but on my way home at the back of Intel, some muppet in a blue car (didn't look to see what it was) with an N sticker decided to overtake me going into a stretch that I think of as a downhill corkscrew bend - its a quick left bend downhill followed by a quick right bend and because of the downhill bit, you can certainly build up a decent bit of speed. What was clear as he decided to make the manouvre was that the oncoming car wasn't going to somehow vanish. As he was coming alongside me, the thought ran through my mind as to whether I should unclip and leave a footprint on his bodywork but I figured that it was all too fast and too risky. It was only when he was alongside me that he then decided to back off (and the oncoming car I think slowed but I was more focused on the muppet overtaking me).

I stopped further down the hill and as it happened, so had he with maybe 5-10m between us. I shouted up "Are you stupid" and got a "sorry" back to which I replied "no, that was f****ng thick" before setting off again (to which i could hear another "sorry". The apologies sounded as if they were in a kind of ho-hum manner as if it were "oops" rather that "sorry, I realise that could have eneded up badly for you mate"

What surprised me was that despite his earlier urgency, he didn't try and pass me as I continued along, keeping a decent distance until I turned for Confey at the next right turn.

I was on the good bike so no cameras 😥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

If they ever bring in here that lark of getting paid part of the fine for submitting, I'm chucking in my day job for a new career as a "squeal".

Six solid months reporting **** driver behavior in Dublin and I should be able to comfortably retire to the Bahamas on the proceeds 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I recently got flipped the bird by a local chap whilst driving my young daughter somewhere.

My crime ? Maintaining 60kph along a 2.6km stretch of narrow local country road with a 60kph limit, despite this chaps best attempts to push me to speed by driving like a maniac right in my back window the whole time.

An "accident" on this road is reported on our community whatsapp group every month or two, usually blamed on the road itself (there's a "bad" bend apparently). With fools like this occupying our roads I dont think the road is the big problem.

I think your maths is out a little there MB (but your point is correct)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Also mismatching number plate on the trailer which is also supposed to be an offense, guidelines and legislation for everything but of no use when nothing is enforced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Marginal and I wouldn't have bothered reporting it but then again we don't have an online portal that only takes 10mins but furthermore where action is taken on the back of such reports.

One from this evening, at exactly the same spot where the last one I posted occurred (that one is still unresolved).

I suspect the truck driver saw me initially waiting behind the silver Toyota and reckoned he had a gap, and he did spot me mid-turn, but he shouldn’t have been trying to nip up the bus lane.

Doesn't excuse his driving but just explaining that there is a good chance he hadn't a notion you were there.

He would have known that there were cyclists using the bus lane around that time in which case he shouldn't be moving left across his blind spot (this view is further strengthened when one considers the fact that his moving into his blind spot was so that the driver could travel illegally in the bus lane).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭JMcL

It partially comes down to successful lobbying on the part of the likes of Renault, Volvo and assorted other to push out mandatory cab redesigns so they don't have to bite the bullet on redesign and retooling (can't find a reference to it at the minute - this is going back a few years). Even mandating cyclops mirrors would improve matters, and would probably cost not much more that a fill of diesel per truck, but they're rare as hens teeth.

Oh I agree, and he did actually see me as he moved into the bus lane, as I said. But he shouldn’t have been illegally nipping into the bus lane in a 4 axle vehicle at rush hour, having just passed two cyclists.

As a cyclist, I don’t go up the inside of trucks, buses, etc. Ever. For this reason: I appreciate that it’s hard for them to see me, and I have a responsibility to cycle safely.

The flip side to that is that I expect truck drivers not to perform illegal manoeuvres that I’m not expecting them to do. (Well, I expect that they will, but I frown upon it.)

• Advertisement

This is exactly what happened. And I ended up waiting behind the stopped car a bit longer than I would normally have done, because the other cyclist immediately filtered past to the left and I had to wait to let him go.

I’m not arguing that my roadcraft was exemplary in this case, because it wasn’t. I’m arguing that the driver of a large truck should not have, as you say, darted into a bus lane like that, especially with two cyclists anywhere in the vicinity.

Advertisement