Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Thread Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

The past two consecutive mornings dopey motorists drove out in front of me at the first roundabout in the Phoenix Park. I was coming from Farmleigh direction and taking the 3rd exit onto Chesterfield Avenue while the motorists were continuing straight from Castleknock Gate. On both occasions I was covered in the fabled high-vis, had a strong front light that I use year round and was even signaling but of no benefit when the sleepy motorists don’t look and yield. I let a roar and on both occasions get a startled look as if I’d descended from space to magically appear at the drivers door.  The first driver got such a fright she nearly left the road and I thought she was going to take the first exit and d-tour down the North Road instead, however after the initial swerve she then took a second attempt at trying to strike me down. At least the second driver this morning apologised with use of the park anywhere lights after I’d braked and let him continue with his maneuver.

One of the worst sections of my commute despite it being a small narrow roundabout with a 30km/h limit. That and the section opposite Liberty Hall on the quays with drivers trying to swerve from both lanes taking a left prior to the Custom House, at least that section is helped recently with some bollard placement just after O’Connell bridge so I take the lane there from the bridge now instead of just from the Luas tracks previously.

Post edited by CramCycle on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I have had similar on the south circular Road where there are 2 bus stops on either side of the road. When there is a bus stopped at either or both, some traffic _must_ overtake, leaving me with just enough room.

The other day, I moved right, towards the centre of the road and the oncoming car "had to" stop. He glared and pointed madly at me, not realizing (or I wish he would realize) that what he was complaining about me doing is exactly what he wanted to do i.e. drive at someone on the other side of the road an make them stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

As for the lane - the left lane goes left at the end of the road. The right lane goes right. I want to go right, that's why I'm in that lane. It's the same reason the car is in the right-hand lane.

Then if it was me, I'd have been hugging the rightmost side of the right lane, to allow traffic to overtake me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I disagree. First of all, it's not advice: it's me saying what I'd do. Secondly, if I hug the right, a car in the RH lane can overtake me on the inside easily (bad driving, dangerous driving? what are you talking about). The important difference with between what I'd do and what's in the video is that I'm less inconvenient to the drivers, which is something that's often overlooked by entitled cyclists; it's important to maintain good vibes between drivers and cyclists, and vice-versa. When I come to the point that the two lanes diverge, then I can begin to choose the point at which I move back to the LH side of the lane, if I even need to do that. I've been cycling a long time in the city of Dublin, almost daily, and I can handle myself well in traffic. I seldom have near misses, and when I do I don't come on websites to whinge about it, instead I get on with my life.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Advertisement

Really? It's seriously annoying and has the term shoaling. It's rampant on the quays in Dublin which is plagued with out of sequence traffic lights every few hundred meters and narrow cycle lanes (where they exist) making overtaking difficult. I don't so much mind it from the electric bike brigade who take off with gusto and clear a path but the Dublin bike users who force their way to the top and break lights to toddle along at 10km/h in a form of rolling road block are a different matter.

I'm not a fast cyclist but have had words with various cyclists who I've repeatedly overtaken along a short stretch of road, not one were able to explain why they push their way to the top of the queue of other cyclists.

Above is regarding other cyclists waiting at lights, I generally always filter past motorised traffic and wait in the advance bike box areas when safe to do so. A cyclist of any ability will always be faster than cars, vans, buses etc along heavily built up areas with poor light sequences such as the Dublin quays.

Words weren't about the cyclists being slow (I've no problem with anyone doing whatever speed that suits them). The problem is when those cyclists jump the queue at lights (often breaking said lights) and then cause an obstruction since there's no easy means of overtaking them again given the constrained space available. Usually cycling in the cycle lane along the quays involves everyone reduced to the slowest denominator which is fine but when you do get a chance to overtake you shouldn't have to pass that same cyclist multiple times again if proper etiquette was adhered with.

Anyway back to the thread subject. Been relatively quite of late and really liking the new road surface and segregated cycle lane just after O'Connell bridge, big improvement. However that didn't stop a driver this morning undertaking traffic and going up the cycle instead, same driver cut back into the overtaking lane at the luas crossing but then encroached in on top of me as I was cycling towards Liberty Hall, had to slap the side of the car as the multiple lights and high vis obviously weren't enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

Not a close pass, just stupid driving. Heading down to buy a sliced pan in my local Centra.

I signal my intent to turn at a junction where I'm taking a left, oncoming vehicle indicating right, just before I start my turn, the wan in the car indicating right darts across the road in front of me.

I brake, and she comes to a complete stop, before indicating right again, and parking contraflow (which I think should be illegal anyway) right on the corner of the junction.

I contemplated saying something, but as I looked at her I realised my presence hadn't even registered with her.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a Google maps image of the junction, and the pin is where she parked.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I had this one a few days ago on Windmill Hill near Rathcoole. The road narrows to a narrow country lane where they started to overtake plus it had been raining heavily and the surface was wet. I also note the N sticker on the car.

Yesterday in my estate, a driver coming around the bend towards me was looking straight at me but didn't seem to see me. I was watching her as I approached and had to pull into the turn on the left as I knew her line wasn't going to change, which it didn't - I'll look for the car later today and have a discreet word (this is just a photo!)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I originally posted this one last December. The driver tried her best to give me the run around, but her insurance company has now accepted full liability and is refunding me for the damage to my Garmin, lights etc. and the cost of the physiotherapy for my injuries. I didn’t pursue a full blown personal injury claim. Part of me wishes I had because the driver made things difficult for me, but I’m mostly just happy it’s dealt with. I’m healed up, not out of pocket, and the driver will have a nice reminder to look where she’s going the next few times she renews her insurance.

Apologies again for the language. That tarmac hurt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Delighted to hear that, looked like a nasty fall, hope you're doing alright!

Special mention too to the dickhead stopped in the yellow box she was trying to go around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Cars turning right as I have a green light to go through a junction drives me absolutely insane.

The worst junction for it on my daily commute is just at the bottom of Leeson Street before you hit the canal.

If I'm cycling on a green and it's just me, no other cars in my lane, there's a 50/50 chance that silver car below is going to take this red path as I approach, as if I'm not there at all.

When I approach that junction, I either hope the light turns red or there's a bus ahead of me that I can catch up on and use as a shield. Actually say to myself 'oh ffs, here we go' if I'm approaching on a green.

Literally lost count at the amount of close calls I've had there. I'd say I get someone cut across in that red path once every two days at least.

Has resulted in everything from me having to hammer on and almost go over the handlebars while they go on their merry way, to both of us hammering on and stopping in the middle of the junction, to people seeing me last minute and swerving like lunatics.

Worst actually is when a car goes across the red line who actually had enough time to go across before I approached but then a stream of cars blindly follows him, straight into me and I've to hammer on my brakes.

Rant over but yeah, be careful at that junction, it can be a bit hairy during the morning rush.

Would that be the cycle land with the car parked in it?

I don't know if you cycle at all, but if there's an obstruction in your lane, you're safer moving out of it nice and early, rather than just at the point of obstruction, as drivers may not be expecting such a manoeuvre.

This is all aside from the fact that there's no legal obligation on the cyclist to be in the lane at all.

Or drivers could not overtake into oncoming traffic, thereby obeying the rules of the road, those same rules that state that cyclists are part of traffic, not obstructions to traffic.

It has already been pointed out why he was not in the cycle lane, there was an obstruction ahead. Waiting until the last minute before changing lanes would most likely lead to that often used claim that " the cyclist appeared out of nowhere"

In fact that's just one reason not to use cycle lanes that are provided. Others include the quality of the surface, and the fact that cycle lanes often don't go where the cyclist is going.

You claim that oncoming traffic is not an issue, despite it clearly being stated as such in law.

(2) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, unless the roadway ahead of the driver—

( a ) is free from approaching traffic, pedestrians and any obstruction, and

( b ) is sufficiently long and wide to permit the overtaking to be completed without danger or inconvenience to other traffic or pedestrians.

Could I ask, do you have any experience cycling in towns and cities using roads and cycle lanes, or is it just what you observe from your car

I'll say it again. Cyclists are part of traffic, not obstructions to it. A cyclist bears no responsibility for the actions of a driver overtaking, any more than another car, or a bus, or a tractor, or any other vehicle in traffic. There is no obligation whatsoever to use a cycling lane.

As regards your cycling bikes in Dublin, at what point would you have left the cycling lane in that situation?

Hand signals are grand, but being in the sight line of drivers in your lane is safer than switching lanes. The cyclist in the video above passed the illegally parked car safely. The driver who overtook him did not do so safely

But did you not see that they "commute by bike to and from work whenever I am in up in Dublin, and use my bike for other errands as it beats travelling by car unless I have passengers."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I honestly think that in the example above the cyclist had ample opportunity to move left, let the car behind pass, then move right to pass the parked vehicle. I think the cyclist correctly took the lane when overtaking parked vehicles but missed an opportunity to share the road when cycling between the two parked vehicles - especially when the distance between the two parked vehicles is considered.

Maybe. I'm giving my opinion based on what the video shows but the reality may have been somewhat different so the benefit of doubt applies. Irrespective of what actions the cyclist should or could have taken, the onus is on the vehicle behind to play it safe. The driver could have handled it better too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I call custard on your claim to ever actually cycle @Sono Topolino

Nobody who hates cyclists enough to cycle through ALL the old tropes could actually be a cyclist themselves.

Person in a car is my suspicion.

• Advertisement

This is expressly recommended in the RSA's "rules of the road". The slower vehicle should keep left to give the faster vehicle an opportunity to pass safely. Given that everyone here is of the opinion that cyclists are part of the traffic, then they should at least honour the spirit of the rules of the road.

I'm just going to pick up on this one: can you show where exactly in the ROTR it says that cyclists should move left to allow people to overtake safely when it actually states that cyclists may use "Primary Position" for their safety...

There is nothing that says that drivers can overtake when there is insufficient space or if they may endanger someone. What is does say and you failed to mention in your biased response is the following...

But maybe I've looked at the wrong excerpts so do feel free to correct me!

https://www.rsa.ie/docs/default-source/road-safety/r1---rules-of-the-road/ruleoftheroad_book-for-web.pdf?sfvrsn=b5d57830_7

Page 199 states that cyclists must keep left while keeping clear of the kerb. On left hand side of the road there is a cycle lane provided for this purpose. Again, these are just "guidelines" and are not enforceable.

You're joining two of their points into one.

The Keep Left recommendation is general advice and the bullet point about it on pg199 directly follows their advice that at times, people on bikes will use Primary Position in the centre of the road for their safety.

The piece you took regarding the kerb states "Keep clear of the kerb – riding clear will make you more visible and help reduce unsafe overtaking." so this doesn't mean keep to the left of the lane.

I would also point out that the book refers to keeping left several times and whilst it isn't clear on its intent, it does advise that people driving also keep left. However, when it says more about this, it is referring to the left lane rather than left of lane.

Either way, none of this advises that the cyclist in the video that you jumped in to criticise should have done anything differently. Again, maybe you can point out where the book (or even better, the law itself ) says that they should have done something differently.

Not a near miss, but a fella in a van was in such a hurry to pass me this evening, he had to drive alongside me to tell me and my mate we should be cycling single file

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Not me... saw a female cyclist down on Walkinstown roundabout this morning. Was being tended to by a few people. Was talking, hopefully not serious and only bruised and shock. Didn't see the incident. But I did encounter 2 motorists who saw me coming , totally under estimated my speed and pulled out in front of me, causing me to brake hard enough ☹️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

This morning was my first time commuting by bike since pre-pandemic I think. Naturally, within five minutes of leaving the house I was nearly squished by a large white van man*. I should've been more alert given that he'd just performed a needless overtake to join a line of traffic, but as I overtook said line of traffic on the left he flicked on the indicator at the same time as he pulled left into a parking spot.

I was about halfway along the van, but thankfully carrying a bit of speed so as I saw the wheel turn I was able to accelerate and swerve in to the left and avoid any collision. I think my shout of fear must've made him stop as well.

I passed the next car still **** roaring, and actually stopped up ahead to let that driver know it wasn't him because he looked a little put out at all the shouting, but holy **** I haven't had one that close in a long time.

The rest of the cycle was lovely.

*the van was large, not the man. Though he was well-built.

I've been advocating for years that it should be part of your driving test to cycle in traffic for 1 km.

From Tallaght bypass to Crooksling would be a good stretch, and anywhere near Walkinstown roundabout, but you must navigate around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭JMcL

Report him. Might go nowhere, but might get him a flea in the ear.

Had a very close one this evening on a group spin. Heading from past Killeen golf club near Sallins, I was at the front of the group. We all were aware of someone driving behind the group for a few minutes but they had had a few opportunities to pass safely so seemed content to stay behind.

As we approached Devonshire Bridge over the Grand Canal which is a narrow bridge at a slight chicane angle to the road (rendering it almost single file), I raced on ahead to check for oncoming traffic.

Your man behind decided that this was the right time to overtake and as I was about to ascend the bridge, I saw the car come alongside me system is say I was doing maybe 45-50km/h. He seemed to hesitate but then gunned it up the bridge alongside me. However he went diagonally over the bridge which meant that as he was driving over the bridge he was getting closer to me so naturally I pulled on the brakes. As he was exiting the bridge (and I was rapidly slowing beside him) there was probably just a few centimetres between him and I, and between me and the stone wall. I actually thought I was going to be squeezed into the wall and not really sure how I managed to avoid it. This all happened in maybe three or four seconds but the other eight in the group also thought I was getting minced. However, all I got of the prick's reg was "222" and the others were too busy watching it to get the details.

I presume he seriously underestimated the road and exercised extremely poor judgement (the solid while line kinda should have been a giveaway nonetheless) and strangely, I've had so many stupid drivers do things that I'm not really fazed about it. What kinda annoys me more is that I know that even had I got the full reg and brought it to the attention to AGS, because I wasn't killed, I've confidence in saying that the likelihood is that nothing would come of it!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/VaGQDPQLdST2fd95A

• Advertisement

Unfortunately another fatality today

"Gardaí have launched an investigation into a fatal crash that claimed the life of a cyclist in Co Clare today"

RIP 🙏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

We all know there are idiot car drivers, idiots on bikes, idiot lorry drivers, idiot tractor drivers, even idiot pedestrians, but today I had a close enough call with an idiot on one of those unicycle segway yokes.

Out for a spin in NCD along a narrow lane way and coming across a guy strimming in the verge so I naturally move over slightly to the middle of the lane way. Right as I'm next to him this idiot with his full leathers and full face helmet on his powered unicycle passes me out at what seemed like flat out speed.

Who would've thought you could have a close shave with a unicycle segway on a Saturday afternoon rural bike spin...

Two very near passes today. Both of them young birds who haven't learned to fly properly yet. Had to lock up the wheels to avoid a collision on both occasions.

Just to clarify in case the allegation is made that AGS did nothing - if the driver is reported based on the video, the OP is a witness rather than a victim and not necessarily entitled to an update from AGS. That the OP has heard nothing from AGS doesn't mean that the driver wasn't punished in some way.

It would depend on the charge that the Gardai applied.

My point was that the OP shouldn't assume nothing was done (although I'd say it's a safe enough assumption) just because they heard nothing back from their complaint.

I had a similar experience - terrible driving, thought I was a goner - reported to Garda and said I had video. Video was never sought, I never got an update. After a few months I got onto GSOC, they got onto the station or local inspector, and it turned out the Garda had spoken to the driver and issued a FCPN. He was very apologetic about not updating me.

I'd have preferred something more severe, but have to trust the Garda's professional opinion (and I didn't really have a say in the matter anyway).

• Advertisement

I think you misunderstand where the 'processing' is taking place. The Gardaí as a body are processing the data, and must respect the principles of GDPR as the data processor (and controller, I think).

An individual Garda can't read out a load of personal data over the phone to a random person and claim GDPR doesn't apply, because reciting it aloud isn't 'processing'.

This.

As others have said the fact that it hasn't been dealt with by the court and therefore isn't in the public domain would bring it right under GDPR. My day job is writing software for European funded research projects and, since GDPR came into being, every dataset that we are given has to be first and foremost looked at from the perspective of GDPR implications.

GDPR is a bit unusual in that it's the individual handling the data and not the organisation that is considered the processor. Under it, data can only be stored on a strictly "is it necessary?" basis and should be deleted when no such cause still exists, so in the case where X gets 5 penalty points there's a perfectly valid reason to store that data so that the next time X does something stupid and accrues more points, they may lose their license. In the same vein, the record of the 5 penalty points should hypothetically be deleted altogether after they expire (is it 2 years?) - unless of course there's some other justifiable reason to hold onto it, which there may well be.

So with all that in mind, from the point of the legislation, a 3rd party - @Schorpio in this instance - has no legal right to know how many points X has as they have no legitimate reason to process that data and the individual guard would breach GDPR by giving it. It sucks, but I think as others have pointed out, this is the nub of it.

As regard reg numbers, they are considered as data that can identify an individual under GDPR and there have been test cases around it. I personally think it's a bit of a stretch as you need access to the vehicle reg database to link it to somebody, and that should be pretty well restricted. There's also an explicit exclusion from GDPR regarding breaches of the law - which this undoubtedly is, but it's probably only the guards who are exempt from the point of view of investigation.

GDPR is without doubt widely used as a smokescreen - the new "Helt 'n' Sayftee' as it were - and because it's so complex and the penalties so onerous, it can be hard to argue with.

OP, it'd be no harm following up with whoever you did report it to - the worst they can say is no, but on the other hand you might get somebody willing to give you an update - even unofficially

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

I had what felt like a close pass last month from a Dublin Bus. I've had worse, but I figured I might try out the GDPR FOI system to get the footage. It was not too difficult and I got it within 3 weeks which was pretty good. Now when I reviewed the footage I felt sort of foolish. It seems the bus was not really that close to me at all. I had quoted a distance of about a foot. Now there is probably a degree of fisheye lens to the camera which makes things seem further apart, but then why did I feel like the bus had just come just over a foot close to me as it passed me by and yet the images make it look like the bus gave me a comfortable metre.

I had a look at the footage and I think I've gotten a sense of why, if you'll indulge me, or tell me I'm completely wrong.

Here the bus is behind me about to pass me out. Judging by the wing mirror shadow, I'm about 3 metres ahead. The bus on its current path will crash into me. The bus wing mirror shadow is lined up with my shadow. If you follow it forward, they would connect.

The bus now starts to move out to pass me out. Look at the shadows again. I'm about 2 metres ahead and the shadows are about 6 inches apart now if you track them forward.

The bus is now starting to pass me out. And even though the bus and I look reasonably far apart, the shadows on the ground are maybe 12-18 inches.

The bus is now beside me, and this is where the shadows are. Maybe a foot apart. That's why it felt like the bus speeding up to pass me out was about a foot away from me.

Is my reading of this completely wrong? Are the shadows a reliable indicator of where everyone is, rather than looking at the images that have been fisheyed. The bus then pulled in in front of me to the bus stop outside the workman's club. Do I have a grievance here? Or should I just stop now before I embarass myself anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

I've cycled in the city for years so I'm used to a close pass. I'm not sure what was so bad about this as the images and video are not exactly terrifying. I think maybe it was that he moved out at the last moment so even though there's enough space as he passes, as I heard him approach he was much closer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If you look at the width of the shadow of your shoulders and compare that to how much gap between the wing mirror shadow and you looks like they are only just that distance away from you. They should be double that distance away I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Lastly, the one that was my fault, turning towards Kilmore. Very little traffic and a driver starts blocking the road to let out a single car, even though there was no one behind him and no one oncoming, and if he had just taken the turn as he should have, everyone could have gotten through safely and in good time. Instead, the car down the side road looked at him confused, as in, what the f*ck are you at, get through the junction while you have right of way and it's quiet, so I too can progress. While this stand off took place I went the long way round, to hear the driver on the main road shout at the driver to come on (even though he was in the wrong) and the other driver just look at him with perplexion. A few minutes up the road the driver then rolled down his window as he passed me to give out about my dangerous manoeuvre (probably right). I said, 100%, I was totally wrong but you had the right of way and should have progressed so I got out of there before you caused an accident. He F'd me out of it and then drove on. His passanger was not impressed with him, and had the reaction of someone who was well used to the driver getting annoyed and knowing best.

Sounds like a driver who's not confident turning into a side road without taking the HGV line so he probably wanted the other driver to pull out so he'd have a nice wide space to turn into.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Near miss for the car rather then me...people are idiots

^^Dripping with sarcasm.

Certain people won't ever heed speed limits until there's a consequence such as penalty points or fines*. Without enforcement any change in limits won't make a blind bit of difference.

*An even smaller subset won't care about points or fines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

100% this. Not confident turning into a side road so pretends like a favour is being dispensed.

Dangerous driving masked as courtesy - the worst kind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Couple of near misses today, one down to error the other to aggression.

The first, I was heading north on Cardiff Lane towards the river. A left-hand-drive truck turned right coming from Beckett Bridge into my lane by mistake. Luckily the driver copped his error (my wild gesturing might've helped) and moved back into the correct lane in time. No harm no foul, plenty of time for evasive manoeuvres.

The second incident, I was turning right at the Ward Cross roundabout (from St. Margaret's towards Ashbourne). A car coming from my left yields to me as I'm already on the roundabout, but the car behind that car takes it as a personal insult and blasts them, moving to overtake. More horns and high revs as the two of them battle it out behind me on the roundabout as I try and take my exit as quick as I can. The second driver took the racing line and was off up the road ahead of the first.

I know the road rage aggression wasn't directed at me, but I still could've ended up another statistic over some needless impatience. I spotted the aggressively driven car a few minutes later in a petrol station, whatever the rush was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I'm not disagreeing with your what you say about giving information to witnesses vs victims. But if the op was classified as a witness rather than victim, that is absolute BS. Op was a victim of reckless endangerment.

This is from the Irish statute book.

.—(1) A person shall be guilty of an offence who intentionally or recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of death or serious harm to another.

There is a substantial risk of death or serious harm. To me the op is a victim not a witness. Drivers who overtake like that driver did should be charged with reckless endangerment.

I wouldn't think so. To use an extreme example, if somebody shoots you dead, you're still the victim of a crime, but you're not going to be much use as a witness

I think the ddifference lies with the charge applied by AGS. If I see someone speeding, I can't really be a victim but I certainly can be a witness. If the car is driven too close to me as a cyclist, then yes, I may be a victim of their driving but when I report it, I simply am a witness. The gardai won't pursue it because I believe I'm a victim. They pursue it because I made and signed a witness statement.

I"m not actually 100% certain, somewhere near Mount Juilet coming from Stoneyford (taking the road where the dog kennel is)

I was cycling from home to St Mullins to do the barrow way, never cycled the road before.

Complete shite. At exits 5, 3 and 2, if you can't turn your head 180 degrees, you need to come to a complete stop and wait for a gap in traffic. Twice for each exit.

At exit 4 you have to take the slip road up, wait at traffic lights at the top, and then go back back the other side.

At one point (Tandy's Lane), you've to yield to a disused road.

That bridge over the M50 is slippy too, bike has gone from under me on it. That was after a couple of unsuccessful attempts to get to it without having to mount a kerb and cross the verge.

Having said that, I use Lucan village and Strawberry beds to get into town. Much nicer all round.

• Advertisement
Advertisement