Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Thread Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Jnealon

There's another lunatic on Tubber Lane, drives a battered red toyota hilux. I think he has sheds maybe 400M further down towards Lucan from where your photo was taken, just be careful of him

Post edited by CramCycle on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

Not a near miss, but stupid driving.

Heading along the road in the picture below yesterday, traffic at a standstill, all parking spaces full on the left hand side. I'm filtering to the left of traffic.

Fella in a van, in a parking space indicates to pull out, but traffic isn't moving. Turns the nose of the van out a little.

As I approach we make eye contact, and he pulls his van out as far as he can without actually hitting a car, blocking my progress.

I gave him a rueful shake of the head, and just filtered to the right until I was past him, and headed up to the red light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Jaysus lads just have to vent.

Coming out on the quays from the hill on Fishable Street, wife is ahead of me on her bike.

She takes the corner onto the cycle lane on the quays, im following behind.

As im making the turn, a motorbike on the quays decides he's sick of waiting in the traffic and to take the cycle lane just in front of me as I make the turn.

I nearly hit the side of him, he continues up the cycle lane right behind my missus trying to get her to move to the left.

I catch up with him, screaming 'get the **** out of the cycle lane!', undertake him, get in front and then cycle two abreast while slowing down in front of him to make him cop the **** on and get out of the cycle lane.

Absolute ****. I'm raging. At moments like this I keep wishing I had a camera.

Master of the Universe

This was 100% a segregated lane on the quays with high barriers so exclusively for bicycles. Undertaking the bastard was a bit of a squeeze!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

People are idiots, I had something similar last year going through a roundabout when a van coming from my left didn't yield and came into the roundabout encroaching on my space before he eventually stopped. I looked back and he later came up along side me shouting if I had a good look and if I wanted to write down his reg. If you do something stupid or were inattentive just apologise and everyone can move on with their day if no harm was done but oh no, idiots have to double down and then have a go at the innocent cyclist for existing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I've a suspicion that an awful lot of fatalities due to HGV etc. are caused by things like this. I see bad cycling all the time in Dublin, and by bad cycling I mean cyclists not having the experience and cop-on to take up good positions on the road. One thing along those lines that I see regularly is people, usually women, cycling along and then putting their right arm out to signal a manoeuvre and starting the manoeuvre without even looking behind them first. There are a lot of noobs like that out there cycling. No wonder there's this hysteria about how "unsafe" it is to cycle in the city: I reckon most of the people who perceive it as being unsafe are the ones that haven't a clue about road positioning and generally "looking after themselves" when on a bike.

And meanwhile, in the real world, they still have them, plus they have a percentage of ****-ups driving them, so you need to know WTF you're doing when you're around them, and even then you're still not fully covered. I had a near death experience with one a few years back along the quays (Dublin): I chased him, caught him at the lights near Guinness's, hopped off the bike, full of adrenaline, hopped up onto his step, opened his door, nearly pulled him out of the cab. Fucker never even saw me he said. I came to my senses and left it, then went to Pearse St Garda station and reported it. Gardaí cautioned him as far as I remember. Point is, they're lethal so exercise extreme caution around them.

Mine was with a sand lorry. Night time, had lights, quay pretty much deserted, me approaching this narrowing of the road, close to the path, so I had to move out as the road narrowed. I guess it was partly my fault, but the driver should have seen me and realised I had to move out to stay a foot or so parallel to the path. Anyway, he flew past me in the inside lane, hugging the path. If I hadn't have stopped and kept going, moving out, I was dead. He didn't try to avoid me at all, just kept going at a fair pace. I must have been about one foot away from death.

I go through that section every day and always take the lane from O'Connell Bridge regardless of traffic, think it's the only safe option despite the odd taxi driver blasting the horn etc thinking they own the road. Road surface is brutal and regularly need to avoid buses pulling in and out of the inside land for most of it. Wouldn't have a car or other vehicle pass like that black Hyundai (I think) of the two cyclists in the street view. Also despite there being no left turn you often see it so quite a dangerous section and it doesn't improve until past the council offices further down where there is more space available and a proper cycle lane.

Blind spots are not the result of faulty machinery.

Blind spots occur through a combination of the position of the driver, and the location of things like A pillars in the vehicle.

In fairness, they're easily overcome by shifting position to check your surroundings, but it's the reason why it's not a good idea to cycle up the inside of a lorry or bus, etc. There are points where you won't be in the eyeline of the driver. Crossing right in front of an articulated lorry would be similarly hazardous, as the drivers position makes it harder to see you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭JMcL

The wheelchair can be seen on the edge of the crossing a 1 second in - he starts pulling at 4 seconds. He's a dick - for doubling down on it more so than anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Went for a spin on my commute home last night, back roads to blessington to get some shelter from wind. Plan was to come back main road and avail of tailwind. Tipping along nicely coming towards the left turn where the grotto is, happened to look at Garmin, 45kph grand....notice black BMW jeep passing me closer than they should, pulled in front of me , braked to take left turn at Grotto...had to brake hard to avoid collision, a complete and utter cnt of a dangerous maneuver, didn't get reg number, too busy trying to stay upright.I can honesty say if I had a rock I'd have planted it in his rear window, i was hopping mad. Utterly dangerous driving.

On the commute this morning, a lady driver coming from a side road turned left on to main road right in front of me, I had to brake to avoid " cyclist in collision with car" scenario, she never looked right before she turned, as I passed her in stopped traffic, I looked at her and shook my head side to side. She caught up with me, and shouted out to me " No idea why you were shaking your head at me" !

I replied " that's the sad part, you've no idea that you blindly pulled out on to main road without visually checking it was safe to do so " and it wasn't.

Her response was " **** off" ...charming lady. Her shiny 241D VW won't stay shiny for too long if she continues to drive in that fashion.

I even had a flashing front light under the Garmin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭fiacha

Another near miss in the Phoenix Park this morning. Car accelerated out onto mini roundabout near Castleknock Gate. I had to lock the wheels to avoid being hit. He never even turned his head in my direction despite me being on the roundabout before he reached the junction. Hand signal, daylight flashing mode on lights and bright coloured top/helmet and he was still oblivious. Car was moving too fast for me to note the reg, so I didn't report it.

Same roundabout I got hit on last year. The mini roundabouts seem to be worse for this kind of behaviour, or maybe it just seems that way because there is so little space on them.

NO it's definitely not dangerous mini roundabouts...its dangerous wreckless driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've noticed the same behaviour even when driving through those roundabouts. You have to be ready to slam on the brakes because people heading straight on Chesterfield avenue never bother to check that someone might be entering the roundabout from the side roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I think he didnt see you because he didnt look for you. No amount of lights or reflectors will save you if the driver doesnt actively look …. ie is not on auto pilot and engages brain!

This guy was coming from Ordnance Rd and exited onto North Rd. It also amazes me how many people will be indicating right (ie staying on the roundabout) while taking the left exit. On the positive side, every driver approaching from behind slowed and let me merge into the approach to the roundabouts, so they are not all zombies out there.

I think the mini roundabouts in the Park can feel more dangerous because there is less space between exits to react to someone failing to yield.

+1 on the roundabouts in the Phoenix Park and particularly the one at the Castleknock end, the most likely source of conflict/danger on my commute which involves the full length of the quays. Have nearly been t-boned a couple of times at the Castleknock end as I come from Ordnance Rd taking 3rd exit onto Chesterfield Ave.

A few years ago I had a particularly aggressive driver try to barge through and when I jammed on and practically stopped he overtook and went over the bricked/paved roundabout itself just missing the central lamppost. 100m the other side he then pulled into the cycle lane roaring all sorts of obscenities. Reported that lunatic as I actually witnessed the same driver clip another cyclist exiting the Phoenix Park onto Park Gate street a week prior, made a statement in Cabra garda station and all who advised me they were aware of him so must have previous convictions but never heard any more on the matter.

Just last week I had a driver overtake into the last roundabout after the zoo, it's particularly narrow there and he had one wheel up on the paved median barrier. When I caught up with him at the lights at the park exit and congratulated him on his lack of progress and the close pass he was surprised and proclaimed there was plenty of space. When I then confronted him on his lack of windscreen paper work (no tax, insurance or NCT cert) he advised they were all in the glove box. I had every intention of reporting him as the guards might actually act on the lack of paper work but I must have noted the reg incorrectly as a subsequent check advised so such reg existed.

Just saw the RSA advert there onTV , the one with Immogen Cotter, aims to put faces on bikes, we are real people with families, visually powerful enough 🤞

• Advertisement

maybe you didnt note the reg wrong …. maybe he has dodgy plates (goes with the roadcraft and lack of window paperwork!)

stay safe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

I was chatting to a friend at lunchtime who challenged an illegal dumper. Before said friend could get the reg of the dumper's car, the dumper ran around and ripped off their plates and popped them in the boot! I presume they're well used to hiding them.

Master of the Universe

I had a really close call yesterday head on with a bus that was so quick I didn't really have time to register fright in the moment.

My poor wife was on the bike behind me and thought I was gone :O

Cycling up Nassau street in the contra flow bike lane along the path of the red line, a gaggle of American tourists step out into the lane where the blue Xes are.

The avoid them, I swerve and leave the cycle lane by going out onto the road around the little bollard things with the plants in them.

Unfortunately when I did this, I didn't see that a bus had gone through an amber at the pedestrian lights ahead at a mental speed and was about to meet me where the black square is. I was a millisecond away from being hit head on at I'd say about 50kmh.

Weaved back in at the next bollard.

Be careful at that spot. I know what I did was really stupid (instinct just kicked in to avoid the pedestrians) but the way it goes from contra flow cycling to literally enough space for a single vehicle to come through at you head on is fairly hairy.

Pretty much. You have to mount the footpad if you want to turn left onto Dawson street without being crushed by a bus.

Actually now that you mention it, street view shows a cycle light facing the cycle track at the junction.

Master of the Universe

Yeah it's 100% light controlled. So when you hit the top of that contra flow lane you should be waiting for a cycle light to go green. A lot of folks don't seem to notice it's there unfortunately and just try their luck with head on traffic.

Encountered a brain surgeon and a rocket scientist on my commute home last night. Cycling west direction in lay-by on Tallaght bypass coming towards junction to old bawn. The Lay-by becomes a filter left turn lane, I checked traffic behind and to my right, when clear I moved to right side of Lay-by to enter lane to go straight on through junction. The Brain surgeon pulled across me about 1 meter ahead of me cutting into to left filter lane frantically looking left to see if any cars etc were coming up lay-by...but she failed to see me when indicating and moving at same time.

Along comes rocket scientist who casually rolls down his window and utters " trying to get yourself killed Bud"

It's getting worse. ☹️

To me, the driver is big-time out of order here because they're passing you way too fast, and I agree with your concern about them braking late. I'd be inclined to pass this footage onto the old bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

• Advertisement

Would the Metropolitan Police have much interest in a close pass down in Cork, I wonder 🤔 🤔 😀

Coming down embankment this evening had a very similar incident at the same junction that I had a near miss about 4 weeks ago. Approaching the lane on the left that brings you on to the road into Saggart, I was doing 48 kph and as I was about 4 car lengths away from lane, a jeep edged out of lane and briefly stopped, the clown then decided to pull out and turn right to go up the embankment, if I was a car, tractor, truck, bus, van , he would most certainly NOT try such a dangerous irresponsible manoeuvre . I braked hard to avoid collision, gave him the "wanker" hand signal. The clown jammed on, Stopped in middle of road , screamed at me ! He was nearly rear ended by another car. Far too many dangerous idiots behind wheels. Sick of it now.

Nothing really wrong with the road, it's more to do with dangerous idiots totally under estimating speed of cyclists coming down and not waiting 3 seconds to allow them to pass before safely turning on to the embankment road. They wouldn't do it If it was a car, van or truck.

100% Report it in person at a station and ask for the Pulse incident number. You can keep prodding them for updates with that reference number.

I'm assuming there was damage to your bicycle which needs to be repaired or it needs to be given the once over by a mechanic to check for frame damage etc. The driver should be liable for those costs.

There is a website for people to log incidents which I assume is being used by cycling campaigners to highlight issues. Might be worth adding the details there. https://www.collisiontracker.ie/map

What do you reckon was the cause of that? Was he not looking at the road at all, and perhaps looking at a screen in the car?

BMWs have evolved towards hunting in packs.

• Advertisement

Had an odd near miss this morning on my commute, just turned onto canal from Drimnagh and went to right of lane as was turning off canal onto Tyrconnell road, lo and behold see a Swan running towards me... they are quite big when wings and neck are fully extended, had to get out of its way, it wasn't deviating from its runway 😁 it took what seemed an age for it to take flight. It just about avoided Luas overhead lines 😬

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not a lot you can do when on a bike without running the risk of getting run over.

But when driving you can be extra obviously cautious when following bikes, and learner drivers, and not tail gate them or try to make aggressive overtakes. When you are the next car behind a vulnerable road user be a road block for them and hope that other car drivers learn from your driving how to be more responsible.

Master of the Universe

I've been trying to do exactly the same, not get freaked out at folks making genuine mistakes and trying to show some appreciation to people who go out of their way to be cautious. Generally throw a thumbs up the way of cars who wait for me to go around busses or busses that leave a bit of space to pass. I've had cyclists do this in the past to me while driving and I've always appreciated the gesture.

Dangerous things and deliberate lack of care will still get a roar out of me though. And that's not just cars!

"Dangerous things and deliberate lack of care will still get a roar out of me though. And that's not just cars!"

Yes, like the e-scotter rider coming towards me at full speed on the wrong side of the road on north Dublin quays the other morning. Never deviated or slowed down in the narrow section of cycle lane near the Halpenny Bridge. Utter scumbag and seeing more of this in past few months on the quays.

Or the driver who closed passed yesterday evening out in D15 who I let a shout at. A few hundred meters further on when caught at lights and I was checking her paper work to confirm if insurance/tax/nct were all in date (Gardaí more likely to take action on something less subjective than a close pass if there's another infringement) she rolled down the window complaining that I had given her a fright. Oh really was my response and when I asked her how close she thought she was, she advised she had been driving for 20 years and wasn't that close but yet wouldn't give a distance. It was an urban secondary road with footpath on which I take a decent primary position so maybe she took umbrage with that but you just can't win with those sort of drivers but hopefully she'll be more careful in future.

London based video, action packed.

• Advertisement

Can't watch that video. Too much going on.

Ouch, ouch, ouch….poor lad. That looked mystifying but if the chain did drop and locked up his rear it might explain it.

Collarbone is par for the course I guess, but 5 broken ribs from that kind of a collision is pure bad luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

Car stopped and helped. At least you can hear 2 lads assisting him.

Worn chainring has been suggested elsewhere.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Some time off the road might be a good thing!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The ones where he's filtering along busses and other stationary traffic, yes. He was going way too fast and not appropriate to the situation.

But the number of clips where he's riding with the pace of other cyclists on the dedicated cycle way and pedestrians just leap out into the middle of the flow surprised me. Of course we don't know how long he's been compiling that selection of clips for, but was a lot along a section of the Thames Embankment that I recognised, and it wasn't like it was tourists jumping into the path. It was people on their way too /from work who should know that is a cycle path.

The anti-cycling brigade must have tampered with it /s

Poor jokes aside, that looks like a heavy fall. Scary getting winded like that. A few years back I had a very embarrassing clipping-in incident where I somehow managed to lift both wheels off the ground and land on my side in a bus lane. I was 135kg at the time. My arm driving into my side tore all the rib cartilage on the right side. Took months of painful healing. Can't imagine how painful those breaks must be.

I think the guy is an attention seeking plonker, but wouldn't wish harm on anyone. Hope he makes a good recovery and is back out terrorising the roads again soon.

Only got out of my car once in my 35+ years driving. A few years ago a car pulled out in front of my at a roundabout. I was in correct lane, had indicator on (and dipped lights) and traffic was moving at brisk walking pace. He tried to force his way between me and car in front (a car length between us) and I didnt let him. I blocked him, he blew horn vigorously . We all stopped at this stage. So I stepped out and want back asking what his problem was … He said I should have let him in. I said I was on roundabout, had priority, was in right lane and had indicator on. He said , well, you could have let me in if you wanted. I told him to learn the rules of the road, and left him to it at that. Told this story a couple of times to friends over the years and response was always the same "you took some chance going back to him …. he could have been a nutter …. had a hammer …. etc" . So I chalked it up to a bad call on my part, and try to curb my initial righteous indigitation .

As a cyclist now, I agree with above poster. I try to reward good driving. A polite nod when I get let in / out. A little hand raise when a walker or fellow cyclist gives room to pass, etc . Dont know if it will do any good in the great scheme of things.

I'd gladly tell someone to **** off if they called me out for crossing the street on a red pedestrian light.

Very true, since I commute by bike I rarely get public transport but last week went to a gig in the city centre and on the last train home which was relatively quiet there was a middle aged (as in he should have sense) man across from me playing tiktok videos on his phone with no earphones. Was annoyingly loud so just said "do you want to turn that down", no response but he immediately turned it down to a level I could no longer hear.

People are incredibly self centered and selfish, real mé féiners whether that's must get in front at all costs on the road or inflicting their personalised media on others sharing a similar space.

Reminds me of this scene (excellent Aussie series by the way, 3 seasons of short episodes up on Disney+, well worth a watch)

Not advocating violence but when there are no consequences people will keep pushing the boundaries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement