Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Thread Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

1353637383941»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Post edited by CramCycle on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Cycling Mikey runs into a lot a very entitled folks on his daily rounds. The kinds of folk I think any public roads and neighbourhoods would be better off without.

His methods certainly divide opinion, but with a track record of getting some folk to change unacceptable behaviour I reckon you'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

Some of his clips are certainly entertaining - have a look for the Chris Eubank one. Guy Ritchie another.

A lot of "do you know who I am" going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭JMcL

There's a good indepth interview with Mikey on the Wild Ones podcast (episode 46 from about a month ago) where he explains his rationale and come across well. Worth a watch/listen (also available audio only in various places)

I think it wasn't in Ireland, which might explain it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭DJD

Had a horrible close pass on Kellystown Road on the way up to Ticknock earlier. White van blew past in the face of an oncoming car. Felt like they came within a hairs breath of hitting me. Unfortunately didn't get reg.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just stumbled upon this UK Law Firms Q&A page on close passing cyclists - amusing (and familiar as a recipient of these experiences) reading the questions at the bottom of the page...

https://www.motoroffence.co.uk/close-pass-the-ramifications-of-driving-too-close-to-a-cyclist/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

“Obviously I don’t wish to take this to court but do feel that was not an unsafe pass but more unfortunate that the location and speed of the road resulted in the incident.”

Pathetic

I assume the driver still told everyone how it was the cyclist's fault

I went the long way home yesterday but heading along the R114 (from the Ballinascorney Famine Cross towards Brittas), this numpty skimmed past me. I'd say that he was about a foot from me and given that their line didn't change outwards after they passed, to me, it looks deliberate…

The most annoying thing about it was that 90 seconds before the above pass, a garda car passed me in what was a textbook example of how to pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Just at the end of my scenic commute this evening, had actually reached the estate and was thinking ..45kms and nada stupid driving tonight. Coming towards a left turn, I was going straight on, I noticed a driver instructor car on the left turn, stopped… but as I came to left turn, the car proceeded to do a jittery left turn on to the road. I was on a cycle lane, the meter wide ones actually on the road, , she came into the cycle lane, and I managed to squeeze between the car and the kerb, took her ages to pass me, I was shaking my head from side to side to let the instructor know I was not impressed with the driving. What I don't get, is why he didn't apply brake when he realised she was pulling out in front of me when it was inherently unsafe to do so....... it's getting worse.. my second bad experience in 2 weeks by a driving instructor car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Yeah, bad pass. However, his/her line did change: was a couple of feet over the centre line, then merged back into the left lane after the pass. But yeah, I wouldn't be happy about that pass. If the jeep's speed was not much faster than the bike's then it wouldn't feel as scary, but when it's going so much faster, like in this case, then it can be a shock.

Agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

I had a similar sort of interaction about a fortnight ago. Wasn't sure whether to post it or not.

Myself and my wife were out for a very leisurely spin on the canal Greenway. There was a group of about 4 or 5 women, and at least one buggy strung out across the path. We slowed down to almost a full stop, very politely said "sorry folks, just on your left".

After a bit of shuffling they all moved to the right, and as we (very slowly) passed them, saying thanks, one lady said "no bell on that bike, and no bell on that bike".

I was a little irked, so I stopped and said "sorry?" She reiterated that we had no bells. I said that's why we slowed, said sorry folks, passed then said thank you. She just kept saying you should have a bell, it's common courtesy. I asked if she thought we hadn't courteous, and she just kept repeating you should have a bell. I just said thanks and went on my way.

Absolutely, just chalk it down to meeting a true Karen and forget about it.

Just out of court in Blanch for this. The driver disputed the charge (one of the excuses was that a 24/7 bus lane on a national road doesn't apply on a Sunday).

The barrister tried to make an issue that I didn’t wobble or have to stop immediately. I explained that the camera software does a form of wobble correction and that I stopped to save the footage - it's just not in the short clip.

He was done for Driving without reasonable consideration (section 51A), fined €500 but no disqualification - not the perfect result but a good one nonetheless.

To his credit, the garda was great 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

Out of curiosity (and in no way am I implying you should use it), did anyone mention the cycle lane?

There was no mention of it in the court.
    When his barrister questioned the garda whether the bus lane was in operation on a Sunday on a national route, he said it was. When I was asked to describe the event, I mentioned how I was travelling westbound along the N4 in the well signposted 24/7 bus & cycle lane so maybe I nipped his cycle-lane crap in the bud (but to be fair had he pushed it, I was ready to ask him of his knowledge of the RUS 028 and RUS 029 signs from the Government's Traffic Signs manual).

Nah but I had kind of expected them to ask why I wasn't in the crappy cycle lane and I was already familiar with the signs. When the garda told me before we went in that the driver was contesting the validity of the bus lane, I knew I was prepared.
    I had the whole scenario rehearsed in my head like a Hollywood courtroom scene but the prick never put it to me 🤬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

always better to be (over) prepared and not need it , than the other way round. Can seem a bit anticlimactic that way…

Glad you got some satisfaction SB … always a shame when its up to you to chase these things and make it happen.

Yeah they're at fault, but you could have gone on the outside of the (stupid, bollarded) bike lane, and had an easier life. That's what I would have done anyway. In fact, even if they weren't there crossing, I'd have avoided that cycle lane. That's just me though: pathological hatred for them.

What I do nowadays is just cycle around dicks 9/10 times, without complaining or making a big deal of it all, just to have a less stressful and easier life: basically ride pure defensively.

Edit: I'm not insinuating that you made a big deal out of it: I don't know, either way.

• Advertisement

Proceeding way too fast down that hill considering the hazards ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Jees, let that be a lesson to you @TheHouseIRL, don't cycle in excess of 10km/h in case of obstacles and don't post footage of said cycle as your actions will be picked apart.

What about the parallel pedestrian crossing at the base of the hill, no one going to mention that? That's supposed to guide pedestrians and their safe crossing of the junction. Lights had turned green for road traffic well in advance of the mad cyclist approaching so pedestrians were effectively jaywalking but that means nothing in Ireland so pedestrians can cross with impunity even when unsafe to do so.

Looks to me like the cyclist just rode into her on purpose. Looks like he had lots of time to come to a stop.

Could be one of those coke zero bikes with the terrible brakes as well.

What I'd like to see (and I couldn't get the clarity on my laptop) is whether she even glanced to her left at all or just ploughed up on to the road

We have no definitive read on how far away he was. However, this goes back to my first point - if these were two cars, the blame would firmly be place on the car that pulled out without looking.

Of course she's to blame, but I'm merely pointing out my perception that it looks like he could have stopped: he's going uphill, not too fast, and from the time the bonnet of the car comes into his view, and he sees that the car doesn't appear to slow down for the cycle lane, it seems to me that he could have stopped before hitting her car. Perhaps I'm wrong, I could be, but perhaps I'm not and he rolled into her door slowly with the similar intention of a punishment pass, although that part is speculation on my part of course. However, I suspect he could have stopped before colliding with her car.

Just in case anyone here was rhe victim of a hit & run today in Dublin...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd really appreciate it if motorists didn't try hit me and my kid

• Advertisement

Have heard a passive-aggressive response would be to open the back door of the offending car and cycle away, leaving the driver to have to get out & close it before continuing. I havnt been brave enough to try but have been sorely tempted …. On a couple of occasions (when cars pull out & stop or else cut in front) I will rap on the roof just to wake them up and hopefully show how close they were ….. have been surprised that I got NO response from this, not even mild shock at the unusual noise. Maybe thats just Birmingham drivers!

I do think that more and more people (ped , cyclist & drivers) are in their own world with headphones / podcasts / phones / radios distracting them …. I love my earbuds and a good podcast or audio book does help the time go by on my commute, so I know I am distracted from time to time and I am one who makes an effort …. so I am not pure myself.

On the "how could they not see me?" thoughts all cyclists have, I think the answer is "because they didnt look for you" … no matter what lights / jackets you have , no matter what size you are or your position in the road, some drivers wont see you because they are not looking for a bike (I think motorcyclists will say the same).

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I meant that they will take liberties and not offer an ounce of apology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

I find drivers much more careful around cargo bikes, as long as they can tell that's what it is.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Would mostly tend to agree, they are scared it'll damage their car

You've just discribed putting kids into a car on Irish roads these days, you are gambling that you won't be hit.

Reported similar to traffic watch a couple of weeks ago. Overtake on the Porterstown Road, D15 near enough Castleknock Hotel where there's a straight stretch of road. Car behind overtook fully into the oncoming lane (I take primary along that road) but neglected to see the oncoming car which had to perform an emergency brake and stuck it to the road. Overtaking car didn't so much as slow down and pulled in on top of me barely avoiding both me and the oncoming car, as close as I've seen to a head on collision and have seen some stupid overtakes on blind bends and hills on that section of road for the sake of a few seconds. Got the reg but coincidentally caught the driver stuck in traffic at the Clonsilla level crossing. Confronted driver but he didn't utter a word so just noted further details like the L plate (had a passenger so was likely at least accompanied), no visible NCT (was a 06 reg) and tax expired since May which I relayed to traffic watch.

Got a call back from Blanch garda station a week later who had investigated car details. Advised the car was recently purchased so they had some grace period regarding tax and NCT. Asked if I had camera footage or the reg details of the oncoming car of which I had neither so they said there wasn't much evidence and a statement wasn't likely to proceed much further. They did say they'd contact the driver to get their take but otherwise at least the incident was reported and noted so collaborating evidence if he ploughs into someone in future.

I have a front and back camera in the car for about 7 years but given I do more mileage per year on the bike could really do with the same there. Despite having done periodic research into the matter I haven't found anything that remotely ticks all boxes, serious compromises on price, battery life, size/discreetness, waterproof etc.

Was close to purchasing a Ghost Drift X at one stage but that's nearly €200 and only a single camera. Despite the poor battery life was disappointed they abandoned making the discreet GoPro Hero 5 Sessions cameras. The Cycliq Fly cameras get good reviews but expensive and there are problems with the front mounts. The Techalogic offerings are interesting, they have a dual lens so front and back but that would have to be helmet mounted which I'm not keen on, otherwise they have separate front and back cameras. Anyway that's subject matter for a different thread.

No near miss this morning but tried out the new online Garda Traffic Watch portal, much easier than giving details over the phone so a nice addition. Just needs the ability to upload video if available but as mentioned supplying a link is probably easier for all concerned.

At 06:30 on North Quays, Dublin 1 a car shoots up the 24 hour bus lane practically the whole length of the quays from Heuston to O'Connell Bridge, nothing new and a daily occurrence. Sails through a red light at Bachelors Walk, again a regular event. In passing I scanned his discs to see tax was expired since Mar 2024 so it was his 3rd strike to warrant a report. Can't understand why you'd draw such attention to yourself when no valid motor tax in place.

Couple of other drivers noted with phone in hand and eyes not on the road in moving traffic. Gave a "really" comment in passing one who looked up at least. A couple of Gardaí on pedal bikes doing loops of the quays would have some tally at the end of a week.

I thought they already proposed putting cameras on buses to record offenders but were shot down by the Gardai.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine their objections would be nullified by whatever tinkering they're doing with the law to make GDPR a non issue (I've personally always thought this excuse to be a red herring on the part of the Guards as the most explicit exception is law enforcement)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

I had a very close call today, a grey golf passed me when there was a traffic Island also in Portlaoise, he was so close I could have easily touched his mirror, I tried to catch him to ask him WTF, but didn't manage too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

Had a near miss last weekend. Out for a run with my wife along the canal bank. Running under one of the humpbacked bridges, and met two fellas on bikes carrying way too much speed.

The path narrows at each of these bridges, and there are signs asking cyclists to dismount. The other option for cyclists is to cross the road that the bridge is making over the canal. Fella in front had to haul on, I grabbed my wife to pull her out of the way, and he had a speed wobble that could have seen him end up in the water.

i think that no matter what you wear or how many lights you have ….. they wont see you unless they look for you.

glad bike didnt get damaged (nor you get hurt, obv!)

After a morning of Teams calls I went out for a spin at lunchtime. On the downhill approach to a roundabout doing a fair clip (>40km/h looking at the Garmin data) and in primary as I was aware there was something behind me. You think the "something" - which turned out to be a large flatbed truck with the name of a Limerick based stainless steel supplier all over it - would be patient? Fat chance. They overtook me within 50m of the roundabout crossing a solid white line at roughly the point in the map view below - off course immediately pulling in on top of me to avoid smacking into the island. I've cooled off a bit since getting back but still debating an email to their employer

but , but , but …… I must be in front !!

• Advertisement

…..You can't possibly be wrong, of course, because you're in a big car….

lol, this gave me a laugh as its true so often!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD NOTE: Apologies, f***ing around in the background to make something work

Advertisement