Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Thread Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    What if it is an UK reg can you check them in some way.
    https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
    Post edited by CramCycle on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's a 17 too, but only registered last year (UK import). Maybe they bulk upload once a year or something?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Ferris wrote: »
    Jesus! Trafficwatch that anyway.

Done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

micar wrote: »
    Not a near miss but an observation.

Walking home from Tesco......young woman early 20s driving towards me.....I can see the illumination of her phone .... as she passes me she's head down cradling her phone with both hands typing away with the briefest glance up.....WTF

Ironically there's a Garda station on the same road that she'd be driving towards.

I was watching car traffic on Burgh Quay the other evening. Drivers stopped in the yellow box, drivers switching lanes. drivers in the bus lane... I saw one driver fly up the bus lane and then cut into the regular lane in front of a big SUV. Thought I was going to hear an angry horn, then realised the SUV driver was looking down at his phone and hadn't noticed anything. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tnegun wrote: »
    All the crazies were out in Lucan today...

It certainly seems that way.

It was a long ****ing day I didn’t need another muppet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Hand in my mouth with this one

kenmm wrote: »
    But didn't you listen - you were in the road.. like you were actually cycling on the middle of the road :rolleyes:

Tearing along the dotted line. :pac:

It’s pretty clear from my shadow how I’m positioned. My GoPro is mounted somewhat to the right of my handlebar too so I’ve no idea how I’m in the middle of the road.

https://imgur.com/PvLB1jv

John_Rambo wrote: »
    The audacity (and it's been said to me before) to admit close passing a cyclist, at speed, on purpose because the driver feels the cyclist isn't positioned correctly. It's shocking when we know they wouldn't try it with a fork lift or a digger for fear of damaging their car.

I’m somehow in the middle of the road and yet he can’t seem able to use the ****ing opposite lane to overtake. Flawless logic.

kenmm wrote: »
    ye exactly (for clarity - I was being sarcastic!!) - in my mind you were taking a considerate line - far enough from the left to avoid all the sh!te like drains and crap road, but as far over as possible given the width or road etc. The driver was being a complete pr!ck and then got all defensive when called out on it. Please report it, but I fear it will result in little action..

I just reported the punishment pass from this morning, the Gardai in Lucan are going to be sick of me. :(

They never got back to me after the incident on the N4 last year either.

Not sure if this is the right place for it:

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/press-releases/2020/january/month-of-action-in-respect-of-road-safety-%E2%80%93-february-2020.html

Cyclists

Cyclist are vulnerable road users and every effort must be made to ensure that where cycle lanes have been made available, that they are accessible to the cyclist. Each Divisional Roads Policing Unit and Community Policing Unit will ensure that regular patrols are conducted in areas where cycle lanes are provided and where vehicles are obstructing these lanes appropriate action will be taken. Garda Members are aware of the new offence of ‘Dangerous overtaking of a Pedal Cycle’ and where such incidents are reported they will be fully investigated. The Road Safety Authotrity will be running radio advertisement throughout the month highlighting this issue.

Supt Golden “I would also appeal to pedal cyclists to be aware of the Fixed charge notices which apply to them on the public road. These offences all carry a €40 FCPN

Cyclist driving a pedal cycle without reasonable consideration.
    No front lamp or rear lamp lit during lighting-up hours on a pedal cycle.
    Cyclist proceeding into a pedestrianised street or area.
    Cyclist proceeding past traffic lights when the red lamp is illuminated
    Cyclist proceeding past cycle traffic lights when red lamp is lit.
    Cyclist failing to stop for a School Warden sign.
    Cyclist proceeding beyond a stop line, barrier or half barrier at a railway level crossing, swing bridge or lifting bridge, when the red lamps are flashing.

Cyclists have a responsibility to stay within the rules of the road for the safety of all”

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

I go to Tallaght station and tell my story. Hoping that they might be able to retrieve some CCTV from the Luas junction. The guard seems only halfway interested. He tells me that he's going on leave in a few days, I ask will there be anybody else following up on this in his absence or trying to get the footage. No he says.

Disgraceful-There's an election coming up, get onto the local TD's and whinge at them to do something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Apologies I should clarify so that I'm not wronging the guard completely. He DID say that he would make some sort of effort to get on to the relevant area to try and get footage, but he said that when he was on leave that there would be nobody else taking this up in his absence. I asked him is it not the case that his investigations are picked up by someone else(I'm maybe wrong in thinking that it should be), and he reacted like this was a daft notion.

He indicated that any examination of CCT is highly unlikely to reveal any meaningful information about the incident. I enquired as to whether there was a way of somehow tracing the guard on the bike and he said no not really, and that there wouldn't be much point in trying.

I'm not interested in getting into any garda bashing btw, I'd just really like it if the guy in the truck who hit me could be traced somehow.

Sorry to hear what happened to you. Hope you can bounce back from it.

The graciousness of your attitude towards the guards is commendable, but on the other hand their ongoing lack of motivation to do anything is one of the main reasons the moron in the flatbed truck and others like him feel so comfortable and empowered to continue doing their sh1t dangerous driving and to not give any f**ks for the lives of people on bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

I'd like to say this was a near miss, but unfortunately I got hit by a truck the other evening cycling home from work. Lights front and back, and I was wearing high viz vest.

That's a hit and run. If it was me, I'd spend a few quid and have my solicitor hound the superintendent at Tallaght station, and take it to GSOC if there was no satisfaction.

I know it easy to say in hindsight and hard to do when the adrenaline is pumping, but the best thing you could have done is lie on that road until the emergency services came to take you to A&E.

I'd like to say this was a near miss, but unfortunately I got hit by a truck the other evening cycling home from work.

That’s truly awful. You should go see a doctor and get checked over.

Horseshoe is it too late to report it through Traffic Watch?
    A cyclist I follow on twitter advises to always call it in through TW as it will get properly followed up on.
    Very sorry to hear you had a bad experience btw

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Update: Garda told me his hours, 7am-3pm, arrive a few mins after 7. Go to the desk, oh he's not in yet. You can wait if you like. I was like sure. Waited for 20 mins and got up and walked out.

Might see if I can post the memory stick when I call.

Finally got to meet the Garda assigned my incident today. Took the footage, and my statement. He was really nice and helpful and took everything on board that I was saying, even had a chat with him which is not what I was expecting at all.

What camera are you using, nice image from it even after youtube has done it's thing to it.

It’s a GoPro Hero 2018 that’s has the Hero Black 5 firmware running on it. Usually record at 2.7K60.

The 2018 was a barebones model with artificially limited features. The firmware hack enables the GPS, 4K and high frame rate recording.

What time was that? I left late today so was down there around 9:30. Might have seen him.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Used to commute on the strawberry beds for a while a few years ago. Have to say my sympathies goes to anyone cycling along there. Absolutely lunatic driving guaranteed there on a daily basis. Reported two incidences of dangerous driving - the gardai did follow up on one, the other fell into obscurity.....

Still better than the N4.

• Advertisement

And the clear contrast with the two decent drivers ahead of the moron.

And the absence of any oncoming traffic or bend, any actual reason for the close pass.

It would make an interesting test case under the new legislation, in the light of the Garda press release from last week saying that all such reports will be fully investigated.

Try calling Garda TrafficWatch line to report it.

I've this and the second punishment pass I experienced last Thursday that I probably should report but I'm hesitant to because the Lucan station will probably see my name next to a bunch of reports and ignore. I still haven't heard anything back since the attempted murder on the N4 late last year.

Same nothing from my close pass and aggressive behavior by the airport hopper driver last week either. Had a bit of a falling down day today in work so was in no humor on the way home. Another Lucan nut this guy aggressively tailgates me, beeps and then completes a punishment pass.

https://streamable.com/25aif

I caught up with him a few minutes later and tried to reason but lost my cool and caught up a second time and stuck the camera in his face not too proud of that but shows his reasoning

https://streamable.com/n3ir1

You see, he is so much more important than you on your silly two wheeled toy. He’s someone important in the world and has bought a man’s car. A white one! How dare you be on his road! He’s paid road tax don’t you know? Look at how fast his car can go, and you’re left way behind choking on his dust.

Anyway you were in the middle of the road or something...

5uspect wrote: »
    I've this and the second punishment pass I experienced last Thursday that I probably should report but I'm hesitant to because the Lucan station will probably see my name next to a bunch of reports and ignore. I still haven't heard anything back since the attempted murder on the N4 late last year.

New legislation now and a month of action. I'd say they are sat around waiting for reports to come in. Sure I was told it could take up 4-6 months on the next court of action. Pay the fine or go to court and get points etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Same nothing from my close pass and aggressive behavior by the airport hopper driver last week either. Had a bit of a falling down day today in work so was in no humor on the way home. Another Lucan nut this guy aggressively tailgates me, beeps and then completes a punishment pass.

https://streamable.com/25aif

I caught up with him a few minutes later and tried to reason but lost my cool and caught up a second time and stuck the camera in his face not too proud of that but shows his reasoning

https://streamable.com/n3ir1

As is so tragically often the way in these situations, the gentleman instigating aggression on people choosing a healthy life option looks like he could very usefully spend some time on a bike himself.

Called it into Traffic Watch to see would the response be any different from Lucan as Leixlip. They wouldn't give me a pulse no and had difficulty telling me which station it would be assigned to.

Well they've asked me twice what station but wouldnt give me the pulse number

Travelling at about 37km/h between the two bridges at Hazelhatch Co Dublin according to Strava but that wasn't fast enough for this dick (excuse my language in the video).
    Statement made in Leixlip Garda Stn last night so hopefully three points and a fine for their impatience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Travelling at about 37km/h between the two bridges at Hazelhatch Co Dublin according to Strava but that wasn't fast enough for this dick (excuse my language in the video).
    Statement made in Leixlip Garda Stn last night so hopefully three points and a fine for their impatience.

the video won't load, it's set to private.

the video won't load, it's set to private.
    Damn youtube options - should be ok now, thaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The first few were queued in the junction waiting to turn right so fine for them to continue. That last truck defintely looked like it entered the junction on red though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Did you want them all to stop in the middle of the junction? This known to happen and yes there is a rule which is stop if it is safe to do so. It was not safe to stop.

That clause is for amber no? Red is just stop.

• Advertisement

Just curious - did you just drop in with the video in your hand and ask to make a report on the spot?
    I went home and downloaded the vids from the cycliqs to a laptop (for backup) and then copied them.onto my phone.
    Showed the garda the phone videos and said I have the originals. She asked could I email them in. When I said they were about 1.5Gb each she looked at me as if I had been speaking Greek.
    Anyhow, apparently the statement will be sent from Leixlip to Celbridge and they may look for the vids

That was close, what a tool.

An otherwise perfectly pleasant spin around north Wicklow ruined by this joker. It appears the positioning of the temporary lights were my fault. I've deliberately left it longer as I feel it shows the full incident. I wouldn't mind, but I was wearing my 1.5m gilet with a huge camera logo on the back:
    Wow, that's bad! My one pales in comparison to that.

Thanks, did you give a formal witness statement (handwritten by the Garda on the official form) and signed by you?
    I did.
    Steoller wrote: »
    Celbridge are all right if a little inaccessible. The station's only open on Wednesday from 1 to 4, so any time I've had to go down, it was outside public hours. I hope you got a contact name.
    A contact in Celbridge? No but apparently they'll be in touch and I'll have it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

An otherwise perfectly pleasant spin around north Wicklow ruined by this joker. It appears the positioning of the temporary lights were my fault. I've deliberately left it longer as I feel it shows the full incident. I wouldn't mind, but I was wearing my 1.5m gilet with a huge camera logo on the back:

This one will be removed shortly as it's going to Trafficwatch

Had a similar enough one to that yesterday evening at the corner of Luttrellstown Golf Club just at the junction with Rugged Lane where a driver behind tried to overtake me on the blind bend and then dropped anchor and swerved in towards my rear wheel with an oncoming car. Yet another driver with an expired NCT (stupid you can't check motor tax online in a similar fashion) but you'd think if not fully road compliant you wouldn't be doing stupid things and attracting attention to yourself. Garda twitter is full of such idiots so another for TrafficWatch and maybe they'll send him a few points in the post.

Painful you can't email or webform in TrafficWatch reports also, more difficult to telephone during the day.

Painful you can't email or webform in TrafficWatch reports also, more difficult to telephone during the day.

Whenever I hear someone say that traffic offences are a revenue generating exercise, I remind them how much work has to go into actually making a complaint and how rarely they're followed up on in any official capacity.

I'm still waiting on two incidents with two different Garda stations - Lucan and Pearse St. Lucan rang me once for a chat, said they'd get back on to me. Pearse St I went in, Garda filmed my footage on his phone (and asked me to send on my camera model as he wanted to get one) and said he'd let me know how his chat with the driver went.

I haven't heard anything from either of them since end of October.

buffalo wrote: »
    Whenever I hear someone say that traffic offences are a revenue generating exercise, I remind them how much work has to go into actually making a complaint and how rarely they're followed up on in any official capacity.

I'm still waiting on two incidents with two different Garda stations - Lucan and Pearse St. Lucan rang me once for a chat, said they'd get back on to me. Pearse St I went in, Garda filmed my footage on his phone (and asked me to send on my camera model as he wanted to get one) and said he'd let me know how his chat with the driver went.

I haven't heard anything from either of them since end of October.

Very true, the amount of time and paper work is beyond ridiculous for little if any result. The one and only time I made a statement I arrived at Cabra station by appointment following a telephone call, I had my statement printed and said I could email it in if that was easier but Garda had to go through it and handwrite everything on their own form for me to sign as per below.

That was nearly a year ago and never heard anything since on it.
    Thanks, did you give a formal witness statement (handwritten by the Garda on the official form) and signed by you?

If you've half an hour spare, have a look at some of the compilation of 2018 reports from CycleGaz (in London)...

https://twitter.com/cyclegaz/status/1225047347635392513

If you've half an hour spare, have a look at some of the compilation of 2018 reports from CycleGaz (in London)...

https://twitter.com/cyclegaz/status/1225047347635392513

6 points and £200 for mobile phone use is saucy, could you imagine if that was here and as easy report, there would be no congestion problems as there would be no one left on the roads.
    Jees, the guy at 26:15 with no front tyre took the biscuit, did well to take the right turn.

• Advertisement

They often ask me this question. It bugs me a bit that they don't have the map of Garda boundaries in front of them, but I usually check the boundaries myself before making a report, just to be sure it doesn't get misdirected.

How do you find that out?

This one will be removed shortly as it's going to Trafficwatch

Edit: Removed and reported

Why remove it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what also is a pain re garda boundaries, is that some stations are not full time.
    we once happened on the scene of an accident here:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5111052,-6.3521945,18.75z
    for those who know the road, it's the bend just south of sam dennigans on the garristown road. anyway, i rang ashbourne garda station to report it and got talking to an officious garda who told me no, i'd have to ring balbriggan. turns out that area is under garristown garda station, but as it's not a full time station, balbriggan are responsible when garristown station is closed.
    ashbourne garda station was less than 5km from us, balbriggan about 20km. the road was closed, it was a head on collision (thankfully with only superficial injuries) which closed the road, but the garda in ashbourne could not have been less interested.

FWIW, i later sent an email to the garda press office to complain/ask WTF the situation was later that day and got an apologetic response saying the garda should have taken the details, contacted the despatch office who would task a car to the scene, and he said he'd emailed the super in both garda stations about it. colour me sceptical.

I would have wrote to the Super myself.

Mc Love wrote: »
    I would have wrote to the Super myself.

In fairness with the likes of that we'd all have been better off if you wrote to Joe Duffy.

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Does anybody know who has priority here when the lights are green? Normally I always stop since motorists plough on through when they have a green light but yesterday I was slightly in a world of my own going home and a pretty aggressive motorist was screaming out the window and sitting on the horn. I waved him through but my god there was absolutely no need for that behavior.
    It's a difficult one and I don't know what direction you or the driver were coming from.
    However, I would hazard a guess that the people on the footpath/cycle path have priority given the stop line for traffic exiting the side road is behind the paths.

If he was exiting the GAA club then he must yield regardless of whether the light is green or blue with pink spots.
    The driver anyhow showed themselves to be a complete ****!

• Advertisement

Kander wrote: »
    Serious one that had me bracing for an impact. I was taking the 3rd exit at a roundabout and he came straight out of the 2nd exit without looking. https://streamable.com/s7q2b

Not bad for the first day back on the bike after some annual leave from work :p

The second one is a little ambiguous. It's a two lane roundabout, so if you're taking the third exit, shouldn't you exit into the right-most lane of your exit? Which allows those taking the same exit - but as their first/second exit - to use the left-most lane of the exit.

That's how I'd treat it while driving, and I'd be prepared for other people to treat it like that while I'm cycling.

Serious one that had me bracing for an impact. I was taking the 3rd exit at a roundabout and he came straight out of the 2nd exit without looking. https://streamable.com/s7q2b
    I presume that he is not properly insured whilst having his missus and the baby in there with him
    Not bad for the first day back on the bike after some annual leave from work :p
    Stick with it!

Another one today who initially appeared to seem oblivious to having passed me (which them annoyed me).
    The Merc overtook me perfectly along Castleknock Ave. The BMW driver obviously thought he didn't need to be as courteous. He obviously wasn't expecting the ruffian on the bicycle to engage with him.
    (You'll need a swear filter - sorry!)

Used to come home that way too and had several close passes along there (I’ve recently moved to Lucan with its own car problems). That whole series of roads from Castleknock through to Riverwood is full of dopey drivers on the last leg home who’ve completely tuned out.

Here’s one from last year.

Spoke to a Gardaí today and submitted the video of the close pass I experienced in Ranelagh in January. The driver will most likely receive a FCPN.

• Advertisement
Advertisement