Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Thread Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

5uspect wrote: »
    Spoke to a Gardaí today and submitted the video of the close pass I experienced in Ranelagh in January. The driver will most likely receive a FCPN.
    Did you have to make a statement (written by the gatda) and sign it?
    Do you have to go to court as a witness? Does it even go to court?
    Post edited by CramCycle on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Made a statement which the Garda wrote down and I signed. He told me there are a number of offences of increasing severity. This is a FCPN and the next one up would require a court date. He said it was the best course of action. If the driver doesn’t pay up or disputes it then it will go to court.

tnegun wrote: »
    Check the URL tnegun...
    Oops!
    We couldn't find your video.

The reason for looking at me becomes clear as they pull left across me, I've no idea what white van man was doing other than saying f you and your bike.
    Just selfish impatience :rolleyes:
    You can be fairly sure that had you moved off earlier they would have blasted their horn at you.

Oh, and the Garda also mentioned that he would consider going after the taxi driver blocking the bus lane also.

Got a call back on the first incident I reported too, guard wants me to give them the footage on a USB key though to continue with it :(

It’s for continuity of evidence. Use an old USB drive or burn it to a CD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

tuxy wrote: »

I bought the same although went for a bit higher

It's a good sign that they're taking it seriously, in fairness.

Wouldn't get much video onto a 128 Mb drive. The standard 4 minute clip I save on my Drift Ghost is anything from 350 Mb to 550 Mb.

Handbrake is a nice tool to compress video gently if you’re stuck, but I’d suggest doing as little to the video as possible.

^^^ the garda.ie site doesn't mention time limits...
    Can I report bad driving?

Members of the public can call Traffic Watch lo-call number1890 205 805 to report aggressive driver behaviour, driving hazards and traffic-related incidents. Calls are answered and logged by civilian personnel at the Garda Information Services Centre, Castlebar. The reported incident is then forwarded to the relevant Garda Station for investigation.
    https://www.garda.ie/en/Victim-Services/Reporting-a-crime-FAQs/Can-I-report-bad-driving-.html
    ...or on the main TW page - https://www.garda.ie/en/roads-policing/road-safety/traffic-watch.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

Steoller wrote: »
    Has anyone had trafficwatch refuse to take a report?

I was trying to get through to them all weekend for my last report. Finally got through on the Monday, and when they heard my incident had occurred on the previous Friday, they didn't want to take it. "You should really be reporting this at the time" was the attitude. I got them to take it, but he was very obstructive.

I've gotten that attitude before alright. As if because you didn't phone from the scene of the crime while lying prone on the tarmac, it can't have been that bad.

Another time I had had a few incidents over a few weeks, and I wasn't really bothered calling as I've never had any success with reporting to TW/Gardaí. Something spurred me into ringing TW anyway at some point, but they told me they could only take one incident per call, so take my pick. I don't remember which one I picked, but I know I never got a call from the Gardaí about it.

I think I went for the punishment pass for not using the cycle lane on a Sunday morning in an otherwise empty industrial estate:

The other choices were an overtake followed by slamming on the brakes (complete lack of anticipation):

Or the red-light breaking followed by a tiiiiiight pass:

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    2 and 3 were close ones, i'd have picked 3 myself with the oncoming traffic and squeeze surely as dangerous as they can drive

1 was not as close, but at speed and deliberate - the road was empty. I spoke with the driver and he saw absolutely nothing wrong with what he had done, no hint of remorse or a suggestion that he might do anything differently next time. I figured he was definitely in need of education, and also I could identify the actual person driving the car.

I thought 3 would be the easiest to prosecute (I have rear footage of the car going through a clear red), but I've reported an incident on the Greenhills Road before and Crumlin and Tallaght stations argued over whose responsibility it was until the statute of limitations kicked in.

Driver was so so close, it could have been so much worse

Ignorant, clueless driver.

I was nearly sure I was going to be a witness to a head on collision when a van overtook me on a steep high and didn't have enough acceleration to get back on the correct side of the road.

This is me on most of my commutes

On a short spin home from work, I had a number of close passes. This was the straw that broke the camel's back (and I got majorly peed off).
    I caught up with him and lost it.
    Swearing filter needed!

https://strava.app.link/kkrW3R7X43

In fairness he was instantly apologetic and didn't try deny it just said he misjudged it and was extremely sorry and then patiently waited behind for a safe spot to pass
    That's better than my lad who thought he had done nothing wrong because he had his indicator on :rolleyes:

That guy is a complete clown and shows typical behavior when the queues start on the N4. I gave up the N4 for the same reason and only travel a few 100m on it now. Looking at your strava link you should have some options to avoid it? If you can its not worth the stress and risks.
    The N4 is usually grand and I usually get a nice tailwind on the Ballyowen Rd (awful headwind on N4 this eve). I tend to use the Adamstown/Newcastle Rd on my way to work. The other alternative is to go cross country but that has its own risks.

• Advertisement

Here's the one from this morning slow enough but stupidly close, I caught up with the diver and had words with in in Leixlip village. In fairness he was instantly apologetic and didn't try deny it just said he misjudged it and was extremely sorry and then patiently waited behind for a safe spot to pass then executed it perfectly!

Considering the response I got reporting I think I'll just try the educate route in future as it would take far less of my time and might actually have an outcome!

Double white line too

Would removing sound from you video have any negative effects?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Not blaming you in any way, but in general, if you're going to bring an incident to the Gardai, you have to rein in on the swearing. Otherwise you'll be cautioned about possibly being charged under the Public Order Acts yourself, which is a bit of a distraction from the important issue.

Amazing how the legal entities in Ireland can extend every consideration (excuse) in order to excuse away the actions of someone who has just killed or maimed somebody with a vehicle :

"We are only human.."
    "We are not automatons...."
    "Out of character, normally of good character"

Etc etc

..and yet We apparently cannot extend any of the same considerations to a highly distressed road user who has dropped a couple of f bombs immediately after having their very life put under threat by having 1.5 tonnes of metal wielded at them....

The cynic in one might almost get the feeling that was being used to shut down complaints from people that the same legal entities have no interest in hearing.

Yeah I removed the audio from my recent close pass because I used the c word

Personally I use the GoPro app to get the footage off the camera. It’s a little cumbersome so I usually take a longer section and then use the builtin trim tool in quick look on my Mac to get the right length and then I encode the video to mp4 with handbrake. That let’s you disable the audio.

Pretty sure Handbrake let’s you trim too.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

1 or 2 cyclists down on North King Street this morning just before 9. Car coming out of Bow street looks like she hit them. Ambulance and 2 fire brigades in attendance

Always have cars pulling out at this junction, so dangerous

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.349823,-6.275727,3a,75y,342.39h,73.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soSFXLcrDCHcY0tlUqOPVVg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Hope cyclists are ok after it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

Nomination for best right-hook.

Driver crosses 3 lanes (bicycle, bus and a regular traffic lane) and all while only traveling a distance of about two car lengths to do so.

I just don't know how anyone can drive to the top of the bus lane in this scenario - knowing that they want to be turning right. Madness.

(Video glitches a bit as the video rolls over to a new file just after the green-light)

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Seth, I get your anger and would have felt the same as yourself in that situation. But, but, but....Id be very wary of confronting motorists in that manner. Your video above got me thinking of that case in Dun Laoighire a few years back whereby a man didnt pull off from the lights quick enough, the motorist behind beeped and within no time the other motorist got out, grabbed a hurley from the boot and hit the other motorist on the head with it- he died two hours later of a brain hemorrhage.

Theres just two many lunatics out there to take the risk. Plus confronting a lad in a VW Golf which is a car of choice for many drug dealers. For all you knew you could have been confronting a coked up gangland criminal who wouldnt have thought twice about running his car over you.

Not trying to be dramatic or anything and 5/6 years ago I would have confronted the driver in the way you did. But Ive changed on that because there is just so much boiled up stress and anger on the roads these days that its just not worth it. Better to just leave it and report it to the Gardai.

You've gotta think that some of these eejits are driving around with pure rage inside them cursing cyclists and then if a cyclist knocks on their window to confront them over their driving then things can escalate very quickly. I can actually see a serious incident happening along these very lines in Dublin at some point in the near future.
    I hear what you're saying.
    I felt that had I just gone to the gardai and reported the incident, by the time they were in touch with him, he would have forgotten it and therefore it whouldn't register in terms of what exactly it was that he did wrong.
    I made the call (in anger I guess) to say something to him but yes, he could have been a complete nutter (more than his driving suggests).

Anyhow, as Andrew J mentioned, I really need to use more decorum when I lose the plot! :D

Not the first time that this Dacia Duster (131-WH-322) has given me a close pass. The other three vehicles showed proper consideration. The VW van (the fourth to pass me) waited until the other side was clear. Dacia man decided to overtake when a dumper truck was approaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

new2tri19 wrote: »
    I had an incident last week coming through Drumcondra , there is a new lidl been built there and I was heading out of town . The bike lane was blocked with construction vehicles so I stayed in the bus lane for a few hundred meters and not the off street bike lane , well a taxi came flying up behind me and beeped all the while passing within a foot or so.
    I caught up with the guy at the lights and told him it's really frightening when someone beeps you like that and passes at same time as I turned to look who was beeping and that combined with the close pass meant I was disorientated. He told me to get off the f'ing road and cyclist think the own the road ..... Blah blah blah .

Drivers should be more aware of how disorientating it is when someone beeps right on top of you unexpectedly, not sure how you can communicate this , maybe a clever advertising campaign.

I'm sure the fool had absolute no awareness of the sense of irony in what he was saying.

I don't thing these fools can be educated - their minds are just too closed. Only thing that can possibly change their behavior is punishment. ie. the state gets it act together and starts to reform the legal system/processes to give legal protection to people on bikes from monkeys like this.

• Advertisement

I somehow managed to time my ride this morning so that I met several vans all pulling up and parking in the mandatory cycle lane through Ranelagh. I said to a couple of them as I was forced out into traffic that they can’t park there and they just laughed at me.

I don't normally use this road and this evening reminded my why how many pointless passes can you count in this 60 second clip https://streamable.com/il3ml

I could of taken more of the lane but I don't think it would of made huge difference!

Don't you love how some put their indicator on but don't even bother moving out

Only on the road this am and this bus pull out in front of me from Intel then tells me to get in the bike lane. https://streamable.com/zwb09
    I've found those Intel car park busses to be a bit impatient alright.

Traffic Watch for that one.

I was thinking the taxi was little close considering the oncoming traffic, then the red Mazda appears :eek:

I think today has had to be one of my worst ever for stupid passes and arsehole like behavior here's the worst few. Only on the road this am and this bus pull out in front of me from Intel then tells me to get in the bike lane. https://streamable.com/zwb09

I would contact Intel about that as well as Trafficwatch.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Problem is I dont think confronting motorists is really gonna change anything significantly. Its not like they're going to rush home and read up on the rules of the road to improve their driving. Instead its more likely some will come away raging at all cyclists and theres already a lot of rage on the road, especially during rush hours. I think its better to just report the incident and follow it up because thats the only real way that the behaviour of some drivers can truly change.

Agree that the chances of a serious incident developing are very small but perhaps not as small as some think. As said with the Dun Laoighire case we have had road rage leading to the death of someone, I just feel its only a matter of time until it happens again.
    One reason why I confronted the driver was to get his face on camera. As it turns out when I reported my recent close pass to AGS I was asked if I could identify the driver ("as often the driver is not the registered owner")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There's a whole 200m of off-road bike/pedestrian space with no lane markings near where I live and it's the same thing. Nearly every second cyclist I encounter tries to pass me on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭raheny red

It's the same on the Royal Canal most mornings and evenings, both pedestrians and cyclists. Pedestrians dodging puddles..... Cyclists avoiding potholes. Mainly just carelessness from both parties unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I met a walker on a rural road yesterday. I checked behind me and saw a jeep coming up behind me, 200m or so away, so I signalled and pulled over.
    I passed the walker (walking towards me), who waved a thank you. The jeep slowed behind me, and after I passed the walker, overtook and waved, so I waved back in appreciation.
    Nobody got held up, everyone was safe and everyone was courteous. Would this happen in Dublin?
    I highly doubt it as I’ve never witnessed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

Unbelievable driving. Thought I recognised that road. Nearly bought a house near there a few years ago and would have been commuting that way.
    Typical of the must-get-to-work-in-time-at-all-costs mentality.

• Advertisement

Saw that on twitter earlier. That driver should be banned.

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1230193447434362882?s=19

Probably one of the worst I've ever seen, not a near Miss as the car actually hit him

If this not result in that driver getting convicted then we might as well give up and accept our police force does not value the lives of cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1230193447434362882?s=19

Probably one of the worst I've ever seen, not a near Miss as the car actually hit him

Holy sh1t! I see the bus driver stopped afterwards as well, I’d say he reckoned he’d just witnessed a fatality. That needs the book thrown at it

At least its not just me they're out to get, another careless Intel shuttle driver https://streamable.com/x94tm
    Where exactly is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Where exactly is that?
    Starts on the roundabout near Lidl, heading east: https://goo.gl/maps/H4A5oxGZi9cYQh9UA

kenmm wrote: »
    Would be great to have a AMA with an Irish road planner..
    I sent an email to South Dublin Co Co regarding the new cycle path created along the Nangor & Adamstown roads which in general is ok (shared footpath but decent kerbing (traffic has since flicked stones onto it so that in places it resembles Brighton beach)). Anyhow, the western end of the cycle path, the flow is in two directions but access if you're wanting to travel westwards on this cycle path involves going against the flow of eastbound traffic as it approaches the roundabout or stopping and walking across the road...

488663.jpg

Their response was:
    Approximately 200m of westbound cycle track, west of Profile Park roundabout was constructed on the north verge of Nangor Road due to the non-availability of land on the opposite side of the road. An inexperienced cyclist heading west can circumnavigate the roundabout to access the cycle track the subject of your complaint by following a pre-existing cycle path shown in red on the map attached. (Note - this roundabout did not form part of the brief for the recently completed Adamstown and Nangor Road Improvement Scheme). This way the cyclist would not cycle against the flow of vehicular traffic, but rather cross it at a right angle.

503431.JPG

They had the opportunity to design it right when building their upgrade and chose the sloppy option that meant someone not in a car was a second class citizen :rolleyes:

In the video I shared above traveling in the other direction the whole road has been redone but approaching the roundabout the cycle lane turns left as in your example and you then have to attempt to cross 5 lanes of traffic with no dropped kerbs to get to where you are going or cycle several hundred meters in the wrong direction to get to a crossing.

I actually raised this with Kildare Co Co earlier this week, after my first time trying to cross as a pedestrian since the road reconfiguration.

You want to see what they have done in Maynooth and Leixlip. Some of the newest stretches of bike lanes in the country. No markings, bus stops dropped in the middle of them when ample room exists to move the lane around them. Mixing of right of way at some junctions then loosing it at then next sudden merges with traffic with no real warning for either.

In the video I shared above traveling in the other direction the whole road has been redone but approaching the roundabout the cycle lane turns left as in your example and you then have to attempt to cross 5 lanes of traffic with no dropped kerbs to get to where you are going or cycle several hundred meters in the wrong direction to get to a crossing.
    I've seen it (I live in Leixlip) and it's a mess alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That spot's one of the worst, I do it every day. The cycle lane line is probably the most dangerous line to take through the road.

• Advertisement

Advertisement