Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Thread Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Coming along here yesterday in the cycle lane and a Dublin Bus starts to overtake me and as he is parallel with me indicates to pull into the stop and starts turning in. I just stopped on the road. I think he saw me but just didn't care.

I suspect that drivers are in a rush to pull in here because they're changing shift. It has happened to me more than once along here.

Same sh1t happens with taxi drivers just before there too actually. They never fcuking look and just pull in across you there.

Agree with Stark below, probably the most dangerous section of cycle lane in Dublin if you stick to it. Cycle it every morning and it's centre of the driving lane each time. Between buses/taxis pulling out and cars veering left from both lanes across and onto towards Beresford Place you get it from all sides.

Only this week I had a chap in a security van blowing and when he caught up to me at the lights before Custom House starting blowing again and shouting out the window how I should be in the cycle lane. All this while the overtaking lane beside him was free. Of course there was a bus parked outside Custom House blocking the cycle lane there and entry to the segregated lane so it was centre lane again all the way to the next set of lights at Memorial Road.
    Stark wrote: »
    That spot's one of the worst, I do it every day. The cycle lane line is probably the most dangerous line to take through the road.
    Post edited by CramCycle on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

tnegun wrote: »
    Had forgotten about this one on the subject of newly built crap bike lanes, bus stop in the middle of it then just dumped out on the road at the end leading to the inevitable! https://streamable.com/bplto

That's the one coming out of Maynooth toward Leixlip? I never use it, I've no need to merge with traffic where I've no right of way, immediately before a junction.

For anyone else: https://goo.gl/maps/PJQUmeyuu8iDjWT78

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

eeeee wrote: »
    I hate the canal more than the quays :pac:, busy in the mornings and hilly into the Phoenix park.
    It's fine, I'm used to it, they're just hideous bits of road design for everyone I think, especially Aston quay.

I'm curious now about everyone's route and which routes are safer?
    I cycle from Lucan to UCD and I now avoid the N4 and instead go via Strawberry Beds which has its own problems.

wnDgrUI.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

YouTube sent me a notification about this a short while ago. Anyone recognize this impatient pr***?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Can anyone grab the reg from that? This is a certified loony...

• Advertisement

Pretty sure is the same video from last time.

5uspect wrote: »
    Pretty sure is the same video from last time.
    Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Edit: Not a recent clip: July 16, 2019.
    The comment says published on Feb 20th 2020 which is why I posted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showpost.php?p=110702666&postcount=8659

Looks like they were re-uploaded.

I had it unlisted while I reckoned was there any point in going to the Gardaí. Considering how little happens much of the time when I have a registration and make a complaint, I decided there was no point calling it in without a reg. I came across it in the last few days and made it fully public, hence the 'publication'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I cycle from Lucan to UCD and I now avoid the N4 and instead go via Strawberry Beds which has its own problems.
    I used to cycle from blanchardstown to richview office park near the clonskeagh entrance to UCD. Went into the park, out at islandbridge and up along the canal, took a right onto mountpleasant avenue and into ranelagh, and out that way.

• Advertisement

A serious commute, no wonder you're on an ebike.

I come from Clonsilla to Connolly Station, over the level crossing at Clonsilla Station onto the Porterstown Road, down White's Lane and through the Phoenix Park and then the length of the quays. Generally a nice cycle with a decent road surface apart from Park Gate Street and Eden Quay. The two worst areas in terms of safety are the 1st roundabout on Chesterfield Avenue in the Phoenix Park with cars from Castleknock flying through unyielding and on Eden Quay with cars swerving left towards Beresford Place before the Custom House.

Depending on what section of Lucan you're leaving from Porterstown Road could be an option instead of Strawberry Beds. Nice new surface from the chicane bend to the Clonsilla turn off and you'd avoid Chapelizod Road where the cycle lane looks like crap and the road surface is nearly as bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if they ever get the greenway built along the canal, it will be a boon for you, i suspect?

well, if you ever want to see the narrowest sliver of a near miss, this is up there with the closest:

https://twitter.com/greenlaker/status/1230840656077045760

The ego won out over the id this morning, as I asked one close passing driver wtf was the wrong with him? "Did I hit you? Did I ****ing hit you?" That's the standard - no contact was made, therefore it's grand. *sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

buffalo wrote: »
    The ego won out over the id this morning, as I asked one close passing driver wtf was the wrong with him? "Did I hit you? Did I ****ing hit you?" That's the standard - no contact was made, therefore it's grand. *sigh*

Its sh1t, but I've said it before. Drivers who don't cycle treat someone on a bike the same way they'd treat any other piece of street furniture or obstacle; close doesn't matter as long as they don't make contact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

Yeah relax. Motorists are excellent judges of distance. See for example this driver’s parking skills I spotted this evening.

attachment.php?attachmentid=503701&d=1582569287

hesker wrote: »
    Yeah relax. Motorists are excellent judges of distance. See for example this driver’s parking skills I spotted this evening.

Or they left their handbrake off, which I’ve seen done before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Or they left their handbrake off, which I’ve seen done before.
    Even if the car had rolled forward, it doesn't look like it was between the lines to begin with.

Definite contender for the Your own pictures of bad parking thread on the Motors forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

Roundabouts are lethal and some of them beggar belief in design.

Take this one on my commute where I and people I know have come close to death. It’s just after an underpass (restricted view), has an approach from the left that sweeps away to the left (restricting view) and then someone decided it would be great to have a raised central section and plant trees on it to further restrict the view.

I wrote to the council requesting an assessment and speed ramps. They fobbed me off to the NRA who fobbed me back to the council. Their main reason for doing nothing is that no-one has been killed. It’s been 2 years since I initially complained and no deaths so I guess they’re right.

To negotiate this mess safely I have to almost stop as I enter and then look left and right at the same time, but mostly left as that is where the speeding cars that don’t stop come from.

attachment.php?attachmentid=503766&d=1582630992

Some Dublin Bus drivers obviously still doing what they do...

https://twitter.com/OnlyOneMUFC/status/1232240968658759680

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Downright dangerous driving

On my way home this evening, I was in the cycle lane along the N4 slip lane outside the Spa Hotel when I was passed by a fire brigade transit van who seemed to be moving a little too close and too fast for my liking.
    I passed it as I went up the slip road to leave the N4 (to head towards Leixlip). At the roundabout 100m on the van overtook me as I was on the roundabout. I had already been dominating the lane but that made no difference. I could see him as he was passing and he didn’t seem to give me the slightest glance.
    I caught up with him again as he queued on the Liffey bridge going into the village. I knocked on his window to let him know (without anger!) of his poor driving and there he was posting on Facebook. The phone was cast to his left as he looked up at me.
    I asked if he was from the station nearby and he said that he was. I mentioned the passes and the phone and he calmly just said “I’m sorry” which kinda caught me by surprise. I’m tempted to pop in and have a word with his senior as I’d have thought someone from the emergency services should know better.

This is definitely my first near miss with a pedestrian. In the act of avoiding her, she ran in the direction of where I was going.

Hate to think of what might have been, if i was in a car and not going as slow as I was

tnegun wrote: »
    I think today has had to be one of my worst ever for stupid passes and arsehole like behavior here's the worst few. Only on the road this am and this bus pull out in front of me from Intel then tells me to get in the bike lane. https://streamable.com/zwb09

The trolls on my YouTube account inform me that an Intel bus driver was let go recently, apparently due to behaviour towards cyclists. How reliable that information is, I don't know.

I assume everyone saw the video last week on RightToBikeIt's twitter feed where an dangerous driver overtook him despite an oncoming bus. The car hit the cyclist as it was trying to avoid a head on collision with the bus.
    Here, he has merged it and his four other hit's into one video...

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1232355636358320129

Just goes to show how a driving licence in Ireland is treated as a right and not a privilege!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Not a near miss as such but the driver of a builder's drop side pickup felt the need to slow down and lean on the horn while passing me on the R132 south of Balrothery this evening.

I was in the hard shoulder and not impeding him in any way. :confused:

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Told him I'm going to report him and he said he couldn't give flying fcuk.
    In my experience, many drivers will say that because they know that in general it will be your word against their and effectively nothing will happen them.

aloooof wrote: »
    This may of be interest to some: "Temporary cycle route proposed for Dublin quays costing €800,000"

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0227/1118008-dublin-cycle/
    Decided to look at the article on the cesspit we know as Facebook and sure enough out of two comments there currently...
    504007.JPG

• Advertisement

Me too. I really hate FB and hate that I allow myself to get drawn into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

My least favourite stretch of road, the New Nangor Road bus lane outbound.

First driver does a close pass. It was a tuck-my-elbow-in moment to avoid wing mirror. My heart rate soars in those moments. Followed by just anger for putting my safety at risk.

I pull out even more to ensure the driver following him doesn't try the same stupid manoeuvre. I get beeped at and I'm given hand signals to tell me to get out of his way. I do shout a bit here. I'm still angry at the first driver. The passenger has also joined in with hand signals to tell me to get out of the way.

The driver beeps again. I've had enough. I stop and park the bike and dismount with a view to politely asking him what exactly would he like me to do? He reverses a little, mounts and drives along the footpath.

I know I should have ignored the beeping etc. And not raised my voice or said a little curse.

I was having a lovely cycle home right up to this point. Nice clear dry evening. It's long gone past the point where I've had enough. I don't know what there is to be done anymore. I've seen the inside of Clondalkin garda station more times than I would like by reporting incidents. Last one was a driver who pulled out into my path and took me out of it just before Christmas. A driver who is currently nowhere to be found. Guards can do no more and I'm currently dealing with the insurance company to recover costs.

Here's a video of it. Yes, I probably shouldn't post it when I'm going to report both drivers to traffic watch tomorrow. It's just nothing ever happens. I lose time and memory sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

CramCycle wrote: »
    Little toe rag is in the bus lane the whole way as well. scum bags. hope your OK, I would not have been as calm.

It takes me too much time to stop thinking about it. Ruins an evening. Wish I could empty my head of these things quicker!

Next time - and it will be soon enough - I hope to ignore the beeping and carry on. Anything to avoid the stress along that stretch of road.

coward wrote: »
    The first driver passed you because you moved from around the centre of the lane towards the kerb and the driver took the opportunity to squeeze past. Don't give them that opportunity.
    The second driver could easily have driven straight through your parked bike and claimed that they felt you were going to attack them (or whatever bull they think they can get away with) and they panicked.
    Be careful out there!

That second driver - what a plonker. Cant believe he drove up on the path!

coward wrote: »

First driver does a close pass. It was a tuck-my-elbow-in moment to avoid wing mirror. My heart rate soars in those moments. Followed by just anger for putting my safety at risk.

I pull out even more to ensure the driver following him doesn't try the same stupid manoeuvre. I get beeped at and I'm given hand signals to tell me to get out of his way. I do shout a bit here. I'm still angry at the first driver. The passenger has also joined in with hand signals to tell me to get out of the way.

The driver beeps again. I've had enough. I stop and park the bike and dismount with a view to politely asking him what exactly would he like me to do? He reverses a little, mounts and drives along the footpath.

I know I should have ignored the beeping etc. And not raised my voice or said a little curse.

I was having a lovely cycle home right up to this point. Nice clear dry evening. It's long gone past the point where I've had enough. I don't know what there is to be done anymore. I've seen the inside of Clondalkin garda station more times than I would like by reporting incidents. Last one was a driver who pulled out into my path and took me out of it just before Christmas. A driver who is currently nowhere to be found. Guards can do no more and I'm currently dealing with the insurance company to recover costs.

Here's a video of it. Yes, I probably shouldn't post it when I'm going to report both drivers to traffic watch tomorrow. It's just nothing ever happens. I lose time and memory sticks.

Wtf, you were in the BUS lane and still these jokers thought it was ok to forcibly remove you from it? And the second car, actually mounted the FOOTPATH from the BUS LANE in order to make his point??

That's a disturbed individual with no compunction about doing whatever is necessary to place himself first in any situation.

Definitely straight to Traffic Watch.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Steoller wrote: »
    My incident from last year has finally wound its way through the courts system, so I feel I should share the conclusion.

Convicted of careless driving and €200 fine.

Careless driving- what a crock of sh*te.

Even apart from his ****ty pass on you which put you and other road users in danger, you then have -

- Stopping dead in the middle of a main road (because somebody upset hiim)

- Reversing back a main road at considerable speed

- turning into a side road completely over the wrong side of the road on a solid white line, and at inappropriate speed

In any sane society he’d be looking at a dangerous driving and maybe a suspension of his licence for that nonsense.

But then again, this is Ireland.

Duckjob wrote: »
    In any sane society he’d be looking at a dangerous driving and maybe a suspension of his licence for that nonsense.
    I think dangerous driving is much more difficult to prove and more likely to not get a conviction.

My incident from last year has finally wound its way through the courts system, so I feel I should share the conclusion.

Incident video below - Strong language warning.

"Don't give me the whole bike... car... ****ing... cyclist... ****ing... bike law." :pac:

I think that's the point I would've given up - how can you debate that logic?!

Working class Passat driver.

Say no more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I think dangerous driving is much more difficult to prove and more likely to not get a conviction.

That's my point exactly. What you see on the clip is utter disdain for the rule of law and for the safety of other road users. Imagine that piece of footage being shown to a judge in a court in Norway. Do you think he would walk out of the court with his licence intact? I don't.

Here it would be ah but I was a moment of carelessness your honour, his dog just passed away the day before and he was upset your honour, he had a bad round of golf your honour (amazing that I didn't even have to make that one up). Basically every piece of BS under the sun, and the reason they'll offer every piece of BS under the sun is because it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Since you've put up an unintelligible caption at certain times in the video, maybe you could add an unintelligent caption every time he speaks.

Given his attitude in the video I bet the driver see's this as a massive miscarriage of justice and will have his piss boiling over it for some time :D
    ...but i bet that he'll be more careful when overtaking another cyclist!

micar wrote: »
    Can you explain the court process?
    How did he plead?
    Why did it take 12 months to get the conviction,?
    Did he show any remorse?
    Was he apologetic?
    What was his reaction to seeing the footage of the pass?
    Did he only realise after seeing the footage how little space he gave?

+1, also interested as you've never know when one of us would have to go through similar proceedings.

The whole court system is a farce, 12+ months to get a prosecution with video evidence of the moron incriminating himself. That's a full year he was driving around potentially doing similar or worse before he was advised of the error of his ways.
    A €200 fine is also pathetic, that might be ok if he had pleaded guilty from the start and it never went to court but presume the taxpayer yet again foots the bill for court time and OP is told to jog on.

Does the prosecution make much if any difference to insurance renewal quotes or was their points charged to his license also.

It's a motoring conviction so yes he would have to disclose it, and yes many insurers would take a dim view of this kind of offence, so here's hoping it becomes more difficult for him in several ways until the statute of limitations passes.

Interesting, I reckon it was the post-incident dialogue that secured the conviction, not necessarily the pass itself (we have seen much worse go unpunished).

RobbieMD wrote: »
    In that instance, 99 times out of a 100, video footage isn’t played for the court.

For the offences of Section 51a driving without reasonable consideration, 52 careless driving and 53 dangerous driving, the judge can vary the conviction up or down depending on the facts and circumstances.
    in what circumstances (other than the judge actually watching the video evidence) might lead a judge to levy a punishment different to what the DPP is applying for?

As for why it took 12 months, it took six months of showing up at the Garda station once a month, (and a direct appeal to the Superintendent at a public meeting), to get the Garda working the issue to take my statement.
    fair play.

As for why it took 12 months, it took six months of showing up at the Garda station once a month, (and a direct appeal to the Superintendent at a public meeting), to get the Garda working the issue to take my statement. That was the end of September. Then the initial hearing was early January, and the final hearing was end of February.

Jees, what a system, in order to get any sort of justice you have to hound others for months on end to do their job and take a reportable instance seriously. Fair play for sticking with it as most wouldn't given those obstacles.

Goes to show if you want to kill anyone in this country do it in a car and most likely you will be spared jail as in this case from last year where an uninsured driver fatally hit a pedestrian, leaving him at the side of the road while he went home and buried the car in a field using a digger. That case took nearly 2 1/2 years to get a verdict in court:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/man-21-who-buried-car-on-family-farm-after-fatal-hit-and-run-avoids-jail-1.3968778

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Close to the junction of Bridgefoot St, a bit past 4pm, there was an all too common thing - a menace pass by a taxi driver. I delayed him so he could join a queue of cars a feet on. The wide angle Go Pro shot probably exaggerates the distance the little, but it seemed close to me. You hear some school children react to the closeness of the pass.

1.43 mark, I was aware of him getting very close so I manoeuvred the bike leftwards. Between taxi drivers and histrionic unmarked white van drivers, it's hard to pick a more noxious category of road users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Idioteque

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Working class Passat driver.

Say no more.

Your Comment.

Say no more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement