Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Thread Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

06:30 this morning on Eden quay, always take the lane there before Liberty Hall to stop motorists side swiping you from both sides. Black A6 driver seems to take offense as tailgating behind despite lights ahead being red. As there was the obligatory bus parked in the cycle lane opposite Custom House I stayed in lane and continued when the lights turned green when Audi man decided to close pass despite an overtaking lane available. Lights ahead before IFSC red again so I pull up beside him to inspect his paper work and discover he's a very naughty boy with motor tax expired since Jan. Yet another moron drawing attention to themselves whilst driving illegally so noted the reg for the Traffic Watch call I have yet to make.
    Post edited by CramCycle on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

VonLuck wrote: »
    Well that's just a terrible design, or more like no design. But the comparison there would be telling a motorist to use a cul-de-sac instead of the M50!

But I was specifically referring to a perfectly good segregated cycle lane between the KCR and Templeogue Road:

https://goo.gl/maps/4qFsdo5ioR55DyHQ6

Why does anyone who doesn't regularly use them always describe cycle tracks as 'perfectly' good?

As well as ceding priority at every junction so you have to turn your head 180 degrees like an owl to check for turning traffic, that one also requires you to cross two lanes of traffic if turning right at the end.

https://goo.gl/maps/DMRwAVoZtLjR1kct6

If on the road, you just keep right.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

But I was specifically referring to a perfectly good segregated cycle lane between the KCR and Templeogue Road:

https://goo.gl/maps/4qFsdo5ioR55DyHQ6
    How did you conclude that it is "perfectly good"?
    How many times have you cycled it and how did you find it compared to cycling on the road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

From his car it looks "perfectly good".

A good few times in fact!

Cycling on the road is better from a speed perspective, that's a given. The segregated lane may be a bit of a pain with junctions, but is infinitely safer than being on that road. If you cycle on the road you have to rely on cars to behave in a safe and responsible manner, which you and I both know is not often the case.

At least on a segregated lane you are in control of your own safety. As long as you're responsible you'll be fine. It may be an inconvenience, sure, but I'd rather arrive alive and take longer than to risk it with cars overtaking me on a narrow stretch of road.

If speed's not an issue, why don't you walk? And how can you call something that you admit is a pain in several places and inconvenient, "perfectly good"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

A good few times in fact!

Cycling on the road is better from a speed perspective, that's a given. The segregated lane may be a bit of a pain with junctions, but is infinitely safer than being on that road. If you cycle on the road you have to rely on cars to behave in a safe and responsible manner, which you and I both know is not often the case.

At least on a segregated lane you are in control of your own safety. As long as you're responsible you'll be fine. It may be an inconvenience, sure, but I'd rather arrive alive and take longer than to risk it with cars overtaking me on a narrow stretch of road.
    You've even less chance of a car driver behaving in safe and reasonable manner if you're segregated everywhere but at junctions. Generally the driver is looking for traffic in the driving lane they're in or about to cross. Very little consideration is given to someone on the path, be it cyclist or pedestrian.

So cycling on the road is faster.
    Cycling on the road is dangerous because many drivers (not cars!) do not drive safely. Thia could be remedied through proper enforcement.
    So both of the above points have nothing to do with making a cycle path "perfectly good".
    At least on a segregated lane you are in control of your own safety. As long as you're responsible you'll be fine.
    You have no control over someone who decides to suddenly turn left into their driveway.
    You have no control over a driver who decides to drive on a cycle path (see the recent tragic death on S2S).
    I agree that segregation is good but again this does not make this particular track "perfectly good".
    It may be an inconvenience, sure, but I'd rather arrive alive and take longer than to risk it with cars overtaking me on a narrow stretch of road.
    So again another negative which you believe makes the track "perfectly good".
    I'm really not understanding your logic VonLuck.

As I say above, you can't expect to have it all. How would you redesign that particular stretch of road for the good of everyone? What arrangement would make it perfectly good in your eyes?
    I didn't suggest redesigning it. I'm just debunking your statement that it is a "perfectly good" cycle path.
    Part of the problem with cycle paths in Ireland is that they are designed to get cyclists out of the way of motorists, not to create a safer alternative route. They also appear to be designed and built by people who have no intention ever using a bicycle. A poorly designed cycle track will be noticed by its users who will make a call on whether they were better off on the road. Which brings us back to your original point. It may appear "perfectly good" when in reality, it is not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

mrcheez wrote: »
    Driving into town yesterday for the first time with the new car I picked up a few months ago (I've only really driven on M50 and N11 since I got it) I was shocked by the standard of driving in the city. I thought I was just getting the impression that drivers are bad while cycling in the city and thought the drivers were just giving me punishment passes, but no I was getting the same MGIF crap while I was in my car too.

This ^^^

I genuinely can't understand how someone can drive in Dublin and describe the worst part of their commute as "bloody cyclists". Any time I've had to drive, which I avoid as much as possible, it's the behaviour of other drivers which makes the experience so unpleasant. I see people on bikes doing stupid **** for sure but it's barely noticeable compared to the **** you get from other drivers.

Also it was raining today and you had the usual pedestrians getting splashed left right and centre from drivers not making the slightest bit of effort to slow down or steer wide of puddles.

You cannot deny that it is more frustrating to be behind a cyclist who is moving slower than vehicular traffic. I didn't say that the cyclist has to use the cycle lane, but just didn't understand why they would be on the road when, in my opinion, the segregated lane is safer.

Do you understand now? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it was about 15 years ago i read of the idea, so i'm not going to be able to find the article now - my understanding has been that segregated lanes make cycling along the road safer *between* junctions and more dangerous *at* junctions. but junctions are the danger spots, so they make the safe part safer and the dangerous part more dangerous.

the idea was that a cyclist on a segregated lane is removed to a large extent from the mental radar of motorists, so the motorists are less likely to allow for them at junctions - and the way irish segregated infrastructure is designed, you're usually dumped back onto the road or in front of motorists mere metres before the junction.

I can see how that can happen. But in the specific case I was referring to, vehicles have priority. It would be the cyclist's responsibility to give way to motorists. Not ideal as it interrupts the flow of cycling, but at least the expectation for motorists to be on the lookout for bicycles is removed.
    What? Have you been drinking?

I'm off to lie in a ditch. It'll be uncomfortable and I won't get anywhere, but at least I won't be in the way. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

railer201 wrote: »
    It has to be safer, it's segregated. Where it joins the road is irrelevant because the segregation ceases - it really is that simple folks.

Totally in agreement with you VonLuck !

Totally not in agreement with you VonLuck !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

It would help if you explained why!

I’ve had a few glasses of vino (within the family unit of course) and am just reacting to what I perceive as fanboyism.

I am primarily a motorist but totally understand the reluctance of cyclists to use badly designed infrastructure that compromises their safety.

Motorist frustration in these situations would be better targetted at the designers who spend our hard earned money so poorly that cyclists choose not to use these facilities

That's very condescending and unnecessary.

You can have two sides to a discussion and no "right" answer.

I think it's quite necessary to check after x pages of replies and people patiently explaining why the 'segregated' track is deficient in so many ways, have you taken any of it in, or just stuck your fingers in your ears and gone 'lalalalala I'm right, you're wrong lalalala'.

It's good to know it's the latter anyway. But if I'd phrased the original question like that, it would probably be condescending and unnecessary.

You're kidding me, right? I've given my opinion in a reasoned manner, but all I'm being met with is passive aggressive and immature responses, bar a few.

I've read the explanations people have given, and understand why they personally might feel they are less safe in this particular segregated bicycle lane.

Alright, so you understand now? That's great! No more complaining about cyclists not in cycle lanes and saying that it's frustrating! :)

Precisely.

Had what felt like a close pass from a Garda van outside Maynooth today but this plonker outside Straffan is obviously more important than me...

• Advertisement

In fairness, I think it was a punishment pass.
    As he passed me, I (with my foul mouth) instinctively called out "ya prick". Immediately, they hit the brakes and I was prepared to call them out on the manoeuvre.
    As I got closer to them (I was travelling that direction anyhow), they moved on and then pulled into the hard shoulder.
    As I got closer again, they moved on presumably thinking that it may not end well.
    It definitely felt like it was a challenge.
    The bracket for my front facing camera broke on Friday so I've no footage of it.

Big drop off in posts in this thread over the last week - nobody cycling anymore or volume of cars much lower, or all the crazy loons aren't out in their cars?

Any which way, it's a blessing...

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Big drop off in posts in this thread over the last week - nobody cycling anymore or volume of cars much lower, or all the crazy loons aren't out in their cars?

Any which way, it's a blessing...
    Witnessed a few near misses today, all happening to the same pair of cyclists in Ashbourne.

A man and a boy (~6) were salmoning slowly in the bike lane and a driver pulled out of the Aldi carpark without looking to his left. Both cyclists came to an abrupt stop and the man gave the driver daggers. (I've seen a few near misses at this spot before, usually just after the secondary school lets out, not with an adult cyclist though)

The two continued on contraflow but visibly more cautious, waiting before being called on by a car turning right into this carpark.

Further up the road, they went through a box junction while vehicles were coming from the left, stopping briefly at the SuperValu entrance before the toucan lights went green and they mounted the path to continue on.

I cringed in anticipation each time and I felt like being the shout-out-the-car-window-at-the-cyclist type, but I know how ineffective that is from the other end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mc Love wrote: »
    My own one today (NSFW) - understandable as I touched the side of the van, they were that close.

Only a caution because the driver was never before the Gardai before and was of a good character.

I'd say either their local cllr or td had a word.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how would they have become involved?

• Advertisement

how would they have become involved?

If they were asked. I know some cllrs won't get involved but there a few gombeens that will

the garda would probably have made their mind up about it only being a caution before the perp (or their councillor) would have even learned of it.
    unless the garda decided to issue a penalty, and then dialled back after a call from a councillor - but i know which i suspect is more probable.

Just curious - were you questioned at the checkpoint?

I've been cycling the past few weeks also, there was a check point at the ParkGate Street entrance to Phoenix Park this morning but they were only stopping cars entering the park. Another check point on the quays about 600m later stopping inbound traffic where I was stopped and questioned. Good to see as a surprising amount of traffic still on the roads.

Joanna Donnelly's tweet blow just shows how some people driving can be complete ar8eholes!

https://twitter.com/JoannaDonnellyL/status/1245286895271186433

The impatient driver of this Ford Focus decided that it was ok to overtake me on the approach into Leixlip with oncoming traffic - sure there's loads of room there :rolleyes:
    https://streamable.com/0qich4

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    The other Garda comes over and tells me that I should have been in the bike lane regardless
    aah FFS.
    Why are some gardai just completely ignorant of basic road traffic laws?

Functioning scum Cramcycle, nothing more, and scum that doesn't accept their own status as scum, thinks they're way above it.

Same kind of cohort that drove the content for "Inside the K".

Baffled at the Garda reaction all the same - perhaps they didn't want a confrontation? Thought all in uniform would know by now about the non-mandatory use of cycle tracks by cyclists but maybe I'm reaching a bit, who knows.

Saw this tweet from a London based cycling person. If only the gardai were this diligent...

https://twitter.com/Nepomucene/status/1251147993576685574?s=19

A white 10WW, sparkly clean, a young couple out for a spin apparently as they hadn't went anywhere. Ballsy enough to face off in front of two Gardai (the driver), and the passenger was confident enough to tell the Garda the (non existent) law. I miss the days when Gardai had no time for such a lack of manners, maybe I'm getting old but a modicum of respect for the Gardai was how I was raised, even when I disagree with them. Even sadder that they just accepted it.

Inaction such as that festers a lack of respect.

Ireland is a land of entitlements but with entitlement comes responsiblity but Ireland only wants it one way. People take no responsiblity for anything anymore, there's someone or something else always to blame for one's one actions but yet everyone has a heightened sense of their own importance.

Another motorist gets themselves punished for driving in a selfish and bullying manner...

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1252604522838593536?s=19

i'd be curious as to whether the garda would just say 'yeah i forgot to tell you, but he got done for it' or would the garda have to provide details or proof that it happened?

in short, might a garda be able to falsely tell you it was actioned, so you leave it rest?

Jaysus Seth :eek:, that was a bad one, I just can't imagine what was going through the head of that "motorist", driving around not just you but another car, swapping lanes on a roundabout and barging through? The mind really does boggle.

Glad to hear some sort of action happened.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Jaysus Seth :eek:,
    Sorry, should have said that it weren't me there.
    Thankfully I don't have a Cork accent.

Possibly. Reporting close passes to Traffic Watch, they seem shocked that I am looking for a Pulse number as reference.

Gardai also end up ringing back asking me if I'd like to make a statement, or will they "ring the driver and let them know that that type of behaviour isn't on, and leave it at that"...
    Even making a statement isn't guaranteed to go anywhere. The local Inspector (IIRC) will review the statement and any footage and then make a decision on whether it should be taken further. :rolleyes:

Had a DB beep me this morning and then go to pull in on me at a stop. Frantically pointing at the cycle lane, which I moved into later when it was clear, he went by me giving the middle finger. Reported on twitter and I will be damned, DBnews asked for details to send onto the line manager for review. Probably won't do anything but it was nice to get a response and if all he gets is a warning not to be a d1ck it will be the most proactive response from DB ever.
    Just seen your tweets - I'd report it to AGS trather than let it disappear into the information void that is a Dublin Bus investigation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Another motorist gets themselves punished for driving in a selfish and bullying manner...

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1252604522838593536?s=19

The cynic in me wonders if it was the general f**kology of undertaking another car on the left into a roundabout and barging through to the right that landed him with the points and fine rather than the obvious (to us) endangerment of a cyclist.

In other words, if the other car hadn't been there and it was just him and a bike I'm not sure there would have been any result...

Had a pair of mad yokes lose the plot with me a while ago presumably because I was not using the cycle lane (I was keeping a social distance from pedestrians and a cyclist in the lane!).

The driver beeped at me as she passed which the camera didn't seem to pick up.
    The passenger squaked out the window at me and opened her door slightly just as they passed.
    I caught up with them at the lights and figured I'd ask the driver WTF. However, the passenger hopped out of the car just as the lights went green.
    I don't think I got to say anything to them and moved off ahead of them.
    As they passed me the second time, the passenger can eb seen opening her door towards me again.

https://streamable.com/nnye4a

Fecking Limerick people! :D

What were they trying to do with the door, clean you out? Hope you told them they were on camera.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Hope you told them they were on camera.
    I dind't get the chance.
    As I said, I don't think I even got the usual abusive reference in.

I love how the passenger jumped out of the car

you were going at a fair clip there . i think you might have pulled in a bit more if you heard traffic coming up behind you. that said , traffic was very light plenty of room for them to overtake you. I wish people were more understanding of each other. bit more give and take would make life a lot easier for everybody.
    1. I was keeping a social distance of at least 2m from the pedestrians and cyclists - as I'm supposed to be doing.
    2. You twice refer to "traffic" - as far as the Road Traffic Acts are concerned, I am traffic.
    3. There was no justification for their behaviour - at all! The driver unnecessarily beeped at me during the first overtake but more dangerously close passed me on the second overtake. Twice the passenger opened their door to me - once during each overtake (the door opened after the first overtake which given the speed made me think it was somewhat premeditated). Yet you make it sound like I did something wrong and not once appear to criticise their behaviour. What more could I have given? Should I have stopped to allow the pedestrians pass? Should I have moved closed to the pedestrians simply to allow these two ignorant cows get to their destination quicker (noting that most other drivers have no problem passing safely and without the attempted assault?

Had a pair of mad yokes lose the plot with me a while ago presumably because I was not using the cycle lane (I was keeping a social distance from pedestrians and a cyclist in the lane!).

The driver beeped at me as she passed which the camera didn't seem to pick up.
    The passenger squaked out the window at me and opened her door slightly just as they passed.
    I caught up with them at the lights and figured I'd ask the driver WTF. However, the passenger hopped out of the car just as the lights went green.
    I don't think I got to say anything to them and moved off ahead of them.
    As they passed me the second time, the passenger can eb seen opening her door towards me again.

https://streamable.com/nnye4a

That's definite one for Trafficwatch - opening the door crosses the line for me into attempted assault, and I can't see any Garda thinking otherwise. (I know shouting/spitting is technically assault, but you'd be hard pushed to find someone to prosecute that for you.)

Genuine question, does the 2m apply to cyclists? You're within the 2m zone for a fraction of a second and figured that chances of transmission are extremely low.
    I haven't been made aware of any exceptions so I'm happy to continue with the 2m gap.

Genuine question, does the 2m apply to cyclists? You're within the 2m zone for a fraction of a second and figured that chances of transmission are extremely low.
    if you're doing 30km/h on a bike, you'd want to be giving at least a metre gap anyway, and especially with pedestrians who may change direction without looking (well, everyone can do that, but a cyclist has a greater duty of care to watch out for pedestrians than they have for cyclists)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was cycling through Lusk on the way to work this morning when the driver of an open top sports car drove closely alongside me and started lecturing me about being out cycling and telling me to stay at home. I tried informing him that I was a HSE frontline worker but he was more interested in the sound of his own voice. I wonder how essential his journey was?

(That's the third time I've had my commute questioned by civilians since the lockdown began).

Advertisement