Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tailoring a Suit?

• 02-08-2017 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Just wondering where would I go to get a suit tailored (somewhere in or near dublin) and roughly how much would it cost me. I can tell that my sleeves are definitely a bit too long and maybe so is the jacket. Same story with the trousers I think. Most of the fit is good but I feel like everything is a tiny bit too long and the sleeves of the jacket a bit baggy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

ohpaddy wrote: »
    Just wondering where would I go to get a suit tailored (somewhere in or near dublin) and roughly how much would it cost me. I can tell that my sleeves are definitely a bit too long and maybe so is the jacket. Same story with the trousers I think. Most of the fit is good but I feel like everything is a tiny bit too long and the sleeves of the jacket a bit baggy.

Most tailoring places can do that (i.e. fitz in Dublin, there's piles of places). Jacket length will be tricky to do (proportions will look strange if not done correctly, even then there's only so much they can reshape), sleeve length should be ok so long at they fit at the shoulder. Sleeves can be slimmed too.

Probably looking at 10-20 to slim and hem trousers, probably 30ish to slim and shorten jacket sleeves and I've no idea about shortening the jacket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Sounds like you just bought the wrong suit. A tailor won't be able to do much with the jacket length, but if you're looking to get sleeves slimmed, trousers slimmed etc, you might be better off bringing the suit back and buying one with more of a slimmer fit, or a size down. Where'd you get the suit?

I'd recommend Danny Geoghegan on Wicklow Street, inexpensive and does good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ohpaddy

Sounds like you just bought the wrong suit. A tailor won't be able to do much with the jacket length, but if you're looking to get sleeves slimmed, trousers slimmed etc, you might be better off bringing the suit back and buying one with more of a slimmer fit, or a size down. Where'd you get the suit?

I'd recommend Danny Geoghegan on Wicklow Street, inexpensive and does good work.

I just tried it on again and the shoulders fit perfect and the waist on second thought is good. Its mainly the sleeves that bother me. The jackets lowest point is right at the end of my crotch area. not sure if thats too long it looks good if its not buttoned. Its a department store 2 piece suit i got just for graduation a couple months ago but I'm going to use it again for debs and would like it to fit me nicer.

Traditionally a suit jacket should just cover your buttocks, any shorter and you're looking at something that isn't classic menswear and is one of these so called "trendy" suits that deserves to be binned.

Suit jackets should only even be unbuttoned if you are sitting down. As soon as you stand up, you button it. If it's a two button jacket (which I hope it is) you only ever button the top button. The second button should never be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ohpaddy

Traditionally a suit jacket should just cover your buttocks, any shorter and you're looking at something that isn't classic menswear and is one of these so called "trendy" suits that deserves to be binned.

Suit jackets should only even be unbuttoned if you are sitting down. As soon as you stand up, you button it. If it's a two button jacket (which I hope it is) you only ever button the top button. The second button should never be closed.

Oh alright then it should be good. And yup its a two button jacket. I just wasn't sure because it was my first suit and while I'm a medium build I'm 5'9" so I wasn't sure if it was alright lengthwise. All things considered I think the jacket length is good then i'm just not that used to it. The sleeves are the only thing that really bother me since they go past my shirt collars so I will get them fixed up.

Any idea how long it takes a tailor to do these kinds of changes?

• Advertisement

It depends on the tailor, but for minor work, usually just a couple of days.

You should be able to see about half an inch of shirt cuff out from the cuff of your jacket, that's how you know if the length is right.

The trousers should have a single "break" or fold on your shoe, saying that the current trend is for the trouser to actually be off the shoe, so YMMV. Once it's not more than one break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Another indication that the suit length is correct, is, with your arms hanging down by your sides, curl your hands around the bottom of the jacket.

If the jacket just touches the inside of your fingers then it is fine. Google jacket length for some example pictures.

Advertisement