Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kryptonite Bike Lock Freely Swinging Withing Mount??

Options
  • 02-08-2017 7:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

I`ve recently bought a Krypotonite Series bike lock and fitted the mount that came with it to the underside of the handle bar. Instructions followed and mount fitted correctly as well as the lock fitting correctly into the mount but what I`m finding is that even after the lock is clicked into the mount that it just freely swings from side to side as i take corners, turn in any direction ect....

Is this normal?

Am I overlooking something?

It just doesn`t seem right....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Let me guess, it's one of those awful fabric mounts?
    They're terrible by design. I ended up using a pair of jubilee clips and attaching the mount with them (taking care to use the supplied nylon fabric underneath so as not to scratch the paintwork).
    You can pick up jubilee clips on eBay in a variety of colours so you can get ones to match your bike's colour which makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

Did you tighten the sleeve on the u-bar with the allen key? After attaching the holder with the fabric strip, did you tighten the second allen fitting?
    Mine has been rock solid since I added it a few months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

homer911 wrote: »
    Did you tighten the sleeve on the u-bar with the allen key? After attaching the holder with the fabric strip, did you tighten the second allen fitting?
    Mine has been rock solid since I added it a few months ago

A small oversight on my behalf but this turned out to be the issue.... I hadn`t realized that the sleeve on the U bar had it`s own alan key slot and so I just need to tighten this up. Seemed a bit odd that it has one as I would have expected the sleeve to be a permanent fixed component of the U bar itself hence why I overlooked it...

Thanks for your help regardless.....

So next question is, if when this is tightened.. does it come loose again quiet often? Does it need regular re-tightening to prevent the swaying motion returning?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

subscriber wrote: »
    A small oversight on my behalf but this turned out to be the issue.... I hadn`t realized that the sleeve on the U bar had it`s own alan key slot and so I just need to tighten this up. Seemed a bit odd that it has one as I would have expected the sleeve to be a permanent fixed component of the U bar itself hence why I overlooked it...
    Not everyone will want it to fix on in that orientaion (you can see some people have it at a sideways angle and hanging from different parts of the bike), hence the reason.
    So next question is, if when this is tightened.. does it come loose again quiet often? Does it need regular re-tightening to prevent the swaying motion returning?
    Not that I recall, but if you are worried, a bit of superglue or loctite will make it permanent I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not everyone will want it to fix on in that orientaion (you can see some people have it at a sideways angle and hanging from different parts of the bike), hence the reason.

Not that I recall, but if you are worried, a bit of superglue or loctite will make it permanent I imagine.

Probably won`t superglue it as i`m soon to upgrade my hybrid bike to a better one and may need to change the angle of the lock on the mount.

Thanks for the help though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Is there any way to stop the lock rattling like mad when it is clipped in to the mount?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is there any way to stop the lock rattling like mad when it is clipped in to the mount?

Buy an $85 leather hanger instead. Otherwise no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I superglued a bit (4mm circle) of rubber (old inner tube) onto the pointy tip of the shackle (the straight end, not the side with the curve) - from then on, you'll need to hold it tightly closed whilst turning the key, but it will be silent whilst riding :)

I've fitted a lot of these brackets over the years, and they are a bit of a pain to get right, but follow these tips and it should stay tight:

As per the instructions, do shorten the rubber liner so it finishes about 6mm when wrapped around your tube of choice on the bike - loads of people/bike shops don't do this, and it stops the rubber feet on the plastic part of the bracket from gripping the frame.

Grease the threads of the 3mm bolt - you'll want it tight, and when it's tightened dry, the threads can fail.

Slip a small cable tie (from the lock's own packaging) between the rubber liner and the webbing, to hold the tail of the webbing tidy when you're finished - don't cut this tail off, or you'll never be able to readjust the bracket in the future.

Line up the bracket to the webbing buckle and catch the threads a turn or two.

Grab the tail of the webbing in your fingers and push the plastic bracket away from the frame with your thumb whilst tightening the 3mm allen bolt (keeps the webbing tight to the frame as the plastic bracket moves in towards the frame.

Tighten the bolt a lot, to get a good grip, but then loosen it 1-2 turns - this won't release the webbing, but will allow the plastic bracket's "rail" (that the lock slides into) to straighten out - leaving the bolt super-tight makes it warped and the lock is hard to insert/remove.

tuck the tail of the webbing into the waiting cable tie and pull it shut to finish off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

subscriber wrote: »
    Probably won`t superglue it as i`m soon to upgrade my hybrid bike to a better one and may need to change the angle of the lock on the mount.

Thanks for the help though...
    If secured with superglue it will be easy enough to loosen it again if you want to. Superglue tends to just suddenly give way, sort of crack, and then it is loose. Just needs a single drop and it will be enough to stop it coming loose with normal rattling.

Advertisement