Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Understanding timezones and travel to LA?

• 02-08-2017 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

I'm planning for a trip to Los Angeles and I'm struggling to understand how long my flight will be. It sounds quite stupid, but with what I believe is an 8 hour time difference along with my ticket saying I depart London at 12:50PM but arrive at 15:40PM, I wonder how long the flight actually is. Is it 25 hours or something else....:confused::D

bxrF4NY.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

It's about 11 hours from London to la on that flight http://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW1545

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

It's threads like this that make me dispair for today's youth.

Your flight leaves at 12.15 and arrives at 15.40 local time (which will be 23.40 in Ireland... 15.40 + 8)

23.40 - 12.15 = 11.25 hours which is what it says on your screenshot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

It tells you right there :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Please tell me you're not being allowed out on your own :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

bee06 wrote: »
    It's threads like this that make me dispair for today's youth.

Your flight leaves at 12.15 and arrives at 15.40 local time (which will be 23.40 in Ireland... 15.40 + 8)

23.40 - 12.15 = 11.25 hours which is what it says on your screenshot.

Funny but in all seriousness, I was wondering whether it would be a red-eye flight i.e would night pass.

• Advertisement

I was also being serious. When you fly to the US you "lose" time and when you come back you "gain" the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

jeanjolie wrote: »
    Funny but in all seriousness, I was wondering whether it would be a red-eye flight i.e would night pass.

Are you winding us up? :eek:

If you leave London at 12.15pm in the afternoon and you arrive in LA at 3.40pm (also in the afternoon of the same day,) how on earth could night pass?

You are going to America, not the moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Are you winding us up? :eek:

Probably, I responded to a few of the OP's other queries in threads created by him and began to get suspicious that he was a bit of a time waster.

A quick scan of his recent posts revealed these threads created by him only in the past few weeks ....
    • 19yr old requesting a vasectomy
    • Advice on collecting sharp kitchen and utility knives
    • Is it really difficult to speak with a 'posh' accent?
    • Do contact lenses that hide bloodshot eyes exist?
    • Has anyone used US Preclearance?
    • Do 18-20s drink in the US while travelling?
    • Can you request an opposite sex officer during a frisk search at the airport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

Here's the issue I'm having.

All I want to know is if my flight from London Heathrow to Los Angeles will follow this timeline since I'm leaving at 12:15PM:

afternoon - evening - morning - afternoon

In terms of the daylight in the sky at whatever timezone I'm flying through.

I have travelled from O'hare to Dublin Airport and the sky went:

evening - late morning

The sun went up and down. Now all I'm asking is if the sun will ever go down on my British Airways flight from London to Los Angeles. :rolleyes:

You'll have a really long day as you will be travelling with the sun.

It'll basically be a really long afternoon. You depart at 12:15 you'll arrive at 15:40 same day but your body will feel like it's 23:40.

You maybe on the windup but there's your answer anyway.

• Advertisement

bee06 wrote: »
    I was also being serious. When you fly to the US you "lose" time and when you come back you "gain" the time.

It's the other way around isn't it?

Wheety wrote: »

I suppose you could look at it that way as well. I was thinking in terms of losing hours i.e. hours coming off the time whereas gaining being hours added on when traveling back to Ireland.

OP the reason you travelled through the night from Chicago to Ireland was because you were travelling the opposite way to this time. Do you not remember what it was like going to Chicago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Wheety wrote: »

Yes, you gain time going to the US and lose it coming back to Ireland.

Advertisement