Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlaw full distance

Options
  • 02-08-2017 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭

Any one from here done the full in Outlaw? A possible race for next year but ideally looking for a fast full distance, before August. Not sure if this would be considered fast.

But of course this is all only an idea, an only if I don't get a Norseman spot too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Never done it or know anyone that has. I see Frankfurt is still open. Roth and Austria are sold out.
    Are you stepping up to the longer distance next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

It's an option alright P, one or two work things coming up that mean if I don't do it next year it will mean waiting a few years more than likely. I might only get the chance to do one in the next while so I'd like to try and do a fast one.

Done the half over there and it's easy enough to get to, less stress than flying and we could bring the dog too. Friend getting married in August so would like to have it done by then so I can relax for that, it's abroad too so cost might be a bit of an issue for the full so somewhere like Nottingham would be a bit cheaper.

Norseman would still be the ideal goal but with the lottery system you won't know until mid November really if you get a slot or not.

Last year when I was training for the halfs I had no intention of moving up to the full distance the following year. But after upping the training a little this year I wouldn't mind giving it a go. But all ideas at the moment and just looking for a bit of info first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

it would be a very fast course one of the fastest in europe on the right day
    and low chance of a too hot run

the fact that its the only ironman distacne race that sold out in the uk ( including ironman branded races ) says a lot how much people like the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Based on the race report on our club forum it seems to be well run, and relatively fast. There was mention of in aero bars the whole bike anyway.

Based on what I've heard, with the relatively easy access, it's gone on the list as a potential if I ever go long for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Best of luck with the prep for it Joe. I have a feeling you might take to the longer stuff quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭audiRon

Hey Joey,
    I did it in 2014 and yes it's flat, 78m elevation on the run, 3 laps.  550m on the bike, a figure of 8 course. Swim is one lap of a flat calm warm man-made rowing lake.
    At times it got a bit windy in parts on the bike. It was about 30C on the day, which I found very hot for the run.
    It's a great race, well organised and as mentioned above easy enough to get to. Decent support most of the way around on the course for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

You have me interested now Joey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Based on the race report on our club forum it seems to be well run, and relatively fast. There was mention of in aero bars the whole bike anyway.

Based on what I've heard, with the relatively easy access, it's gone on the list as a potential if I ever go long for me anyway.

Any link to the report Macy?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Triathlon 220 did an article recently on Long distance for 1st timers. Outlaw came 1st. IM Austria was was 2nd, Copenhagen 3rd Kalmar 4th i think. Apparently outlaw registration and set up is handy with a nice atmosphere. Only thing that is, it has a 17hr cut off, so u might tight ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 1 martin0

Hey,

I did the Outlaw a couple of weeks ago. Its a great event, well organised, loads of supporters, lots of feed stations. Good accommodation options in Nottingham, I would say a car is necessary though. There are accommodation options at the water sports center where it takes place, that might be a better option, also camping out there. Weather was fine, some headwinds on the cycle but that is expected in parts as it is flat open country. It is undulating, no hills of note. The run is flat, mix of hardpack stone trails and regular pathways. It is very popular because its well organised, fast and cheaper then most other long distance events. Happy to answer any specific questions. I live in London so didn't make the journey from Ireland. It was my first Iron distance

• Advertisement
Advertisement