Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally fixing the cobbles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Good.
    Hope they pull them all up and replace with some thing more practical.
    I honestly don't know what the attraction is?
    They look good for about five minutes after laying, they look dirty, get loose, are awful to walk on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Well it's about time, they're a mess...

I can't believe these were laid twenty years ago? Surely that's a mistake? Seems like only yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭ratracer

Good, it was a terrible decision at the time to use cobblestones, but one would have to wonder if the city council are capable of choosing an appropriate surface this time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

This will end up like eyre square part 2. Between broken sewers and services it will be at least twice whatever they budget to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I heard before that there is a big pipe running the full length of shop street and the council held off on replacing it until Irish Water was implemented. If that is true you would imagine all the work will be done together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

sgthighway wrote: »
    If that is true you would imagine all the work will be done together.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

J o e wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Keyword in previous text.. imagine !

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

The surface of teh pavement down Shop st undulates so would hope they might make it a bit flatter.
    I remember a Hungarian friend complaining about the way that things were being done as they first did things at the millennium.& comparing the way that the surface was being done to the way things were done in mainland Europe where there wasa bit of play designed into the stonework so that it would right itself.
    Also stuck with the idea that when it was initially done I heard taht the council gave the job of pedestrianising the street and its upkeep to the same people in perpetuity. Which doesn't strike me as the best way to make sure the best job is done since they would be capitalising on whatever repairs they had to do on their own work.

Advertisement