Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Losing fat but not weight

• 02-08-2017 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭

I'm female and I've gotten back into proper nutrition and weightlifting over the last 9 months. I've lost 8% body fat, two dress sizes and my body composition has changed considerably for the better. And it's still changing, I see better definition every few weeks.

But I haven't lost a lb. I know a kilo of fat is much bigger than a kilo of muscle and that can explain it but it does frustrate me to see no movement in the scales.

Anybody else experience this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Same here, fitter than before, clothes fit better etc but same weight, I do a lot of weights and my leg muscles have gotten bigger but annoyingly the same weight :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Can I ask why you are worried about the number on the scales? You have both said that you are fitter, you look better, your clothes fit better, but are worried about a number on a scales. It doesn't make any sense. Surely the goal of the exercise and eating a more healthy and balanced diet is to be fitter, healthier, and look better. The number on the scales doesn't matter. You have both lost fat, but due to the training have gained more muscle mass. This is the reason the scales hasn't moved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

We are so obsessed with weight it really does not need to be the other thing we measure, sounds like you have made amazing progress !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It may be that your deficit has now become maintenance hence staying at the same weight. But you're body composition is improving hence the improvements outside of the number on the scales.

If you want to lose more weight, then it may be a case that you'll have to drop calories.

But of you're happy with everything else and you're still moving towards what you want, then do you really need to go down that route? It doesn't sound like you do other than a need to achieve a certain arbitrary number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I suppose the main reason is that old habits die hard in terms of wanting to see the number decrease on the scale. I get a bit envious when I see posts here about the amount of weight people have lost. In fact I'm the heaviest I've ever been. But yeah it's reassuring that others have experienced the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Tigger99 wrote: »
    I suppose the main reason is that old habits die hard in terms of wanting to see the number decrease on the scale. I get a bit envious when I see posts here about the amount of weight people have lost. In fact I'm the heaviest I've ever been. But yeah it's reassuring that others have experienced the same.

We're so used to using the number on the scales to get to the point where we have the body we want and usually become more interested in the number than the body that it represents.

You're dropping bodyfat, dropping dress sizes and you're getting more definition. That's more reflective of where you are.

You've undoubtedly made great progress, so you should be proud of yourself. Losing 8% bodyfat is a significant change.

For a bit more info, where did your bodyfat start? Going from 50% to 42% would be a big improvement, but it would also indicate you should be losing weight on the scales as well. On the other hand, if you started at 28% and got to 20% then you're a lot closer to peak condition, so the weight on the scales wouldn't matter so much.

When you say you're 'weightlifting', what does your training consist of? Are you only lifting weights, or you're doing cardio as well? How many calories are you taking in?

Personally, even though I know BF% and inches are the most important, I still have a weight that is my 'sweet spot' where I'm strong in the gym, but also don't have too much weight to lug around when running, and I can hammer out bodyweight stuff such as chins and press ups. This is where I feel that weight on the scales does matter to some extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Honestly, you've found the holy grail, rejoice!

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

bladespin wrote: »
    Honestly, you've found the holy grail, rejoice!

Lol yeah I understand that it's hard to loose fat and gain muscle at the same time. I've kept a close eye on my macros and my calorie deficit is at 15%.

Re the bodyfat, down from 35% to 27% a few months ago so I'd say it might be nearer 25% now.

Ok thanks folks, I feel a bit reassured now.

Advertisement