Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Drive - what exactly does it entitle?

Options
  • 02-08-2017 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

getting confused on this...open drive - if i have this on my policy does it mean i can drive any other car and have fully comprehensive insurance when doing so or does it mean anyone can drive my car and are covered fully comp under my policy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

fifib wrote: »
    getting confused on this...open drive - if i have this on my policy does it mean i can drive any other car and have fully comprehensive insurance when doing so or does it mean anyone can drive my car and are covered fully comp under my policy?

The latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

The Open Drive usually has restrictions and you should refer to your policy. Normally, drivers must be over 25, Full Licence and clear driving record

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

To drive another car under your own insurance policy - the other car must have its own policy and then you can drive it.

You cant just jump into any car and be insured to drive away

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

dball wrote: »
    To drive another car under your own insurance policy - the other car must have its own policy and then you can drive it.

You cant just jump into any car and be insured to drive away

That vastly differs from policy to policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

dball wrote: »

That started as an urban myth which was repeated and debunked here ad nauseam but it has started to become fact for some policies.

AFAIK Aviva is the only company which currently has that condition in the 'driving other cars' section of their policy document. It's clearly a tactic to stop people from borrowing 'laid up' bangers where the car's own policy has lapsed.

Happy to be corrected if others have joined up but it is not a general condition of all motor policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

thanks for the correction - I'm off to study my policy right now .thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

"Open drive" refers to others being insured to drive your car

"Driving other cars extension" refers to you being insured to drive other cars.

Advertisement