Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasps coming into house.

Options
  • 02-08-2017 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭

Not sure what it is about this year but any window open and loads of wasps come in, esp into the kitchen. They seem to love my orange juice in the morning. Anyone else having a similar problem.

I don't mind them, just am careful not to drink them I'm my oj :D but I have seaside kids fishing net to get them out when the oh Is perturbed by them.

I'm guessing that they are having problems foraging this year for some reason. No ant problem here though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Spoonful of honey in a jam jar of boiling water. Leave it outside the kitchen. They won't be bothered with your OJ then!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

endacl wrote: »
    Spoonful of honey in a jam jar of boiling water. Leave it outside the kitchen. They won't be bothered with your OJ then!

They don't really bother me, it was more a comment on the number of them coming in this year. I don't want to kill them as its not really necessary.

But you've given me an idea. Maby a jar left outside on the window sill with a drop of OJ in it may keep them at bay for the oh. I'll give that a go. Thanks.

Just put a jam jar lid just inside the window with a small spoon of liquid honey in the center and they are loving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Very few around the house here. There's still loads of natural food available locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Have never seen so many wasps indoors and hanging around at this time of year before. Usually, it's well into September before they appear. We were in 2 different hotels (Monaghan and Donegal) recently and we were tortured both times sitting in reception trying to have a coffee.

Incidentally, I though they looked smaller than usual, but that may have been a notion to me. While I don't go out of my way to kill them, I absolutely loathe them as I react really badly when I get stung.

At home, you can close doors and windows and use the fishing net when required. A bit weird looking in a public place though :pac:

• Advertisement

Not had one inside here yet either.
    When they do persist I use the jam jar lid on the windowsill trick and they arent bothered by what is inside then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

The best wasp trap that I've used here are made from soft drink bottles cut in half and turn the lid end upside down into the bottom half.
    Some cheap beer in the bottom and it'll work away. You'll catch wasps and the odd slug but no bees.
    I use these around the Bee hives to trap wasps. Simple, cheap and effective.

You'll catch wasps and the odd slug but no bees.
    I use these around the Bee hives to trap wasps. Simple, cheap and effective.

Do you know why the trap dosn't entice bees?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Oldtree wrote: »
    Not sure what it is about this year but any window open and loads of wasps come in, esp into the kitchen. They seem to love my orange juice in the morning. Anyone else having a similar problem.

I don't mind them, just am careful not to drink them I'm my oj :D but I have seaside kids fishing net to get them out when the oh Is perturbed by them.

I'm guessing that they are having problems foraging this year for some reason. No ant problem here though.
    We've been having the odd wasp come into the house. Everytime I shoo them out, they come straight back in. Feels like it's just the one wasp every time. End up having to close the patio or for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bees take the pledge, and take it seriously!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I don't.
    But I've set them all around the hives and I'd rarely catch a bee.
    Maybe they have better taste in beer than the slop I serve them up :-)

I don't.
    But I've set them all around the hives and I'd rarely catch a bee.
    Maybe they have better taste in beer than the slop I serve them up :-)

Or you just happen to have very bright bees :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Bees won't go near cheap beer.

Its working very well. They are going through the honey for a short cut but I happen to have a load of jars of apple jelly I made last year that I made too much of and overcooked a bit so gave them a bit too see. They refused it until the honey ran out then all over the jelly like flys on S*** :D

I was interesting to note that when I put out the honey this am they were fighting a bit over it, but settled down after a few minutes I guess when they realised there was no need to fight. i think the fighting may be because they are very hungry or there there are 2 competing nests. I think the former as they stopped fighting.

I have also moved the plastic tray (bottom of a small cream bottle) to outside the window on the windowsill and apart from the odd wanderer they remain outside.

Honey vs Jelly inside window

424078.JPG

Outside on sill

424079.JPG

It proving very popular and interesting to watch, but my oh is going beserk with the noise outside the window :D. So I've made a second tray and put it further out into the garden a bit away from the house to attract them away from the house alltogeather.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

It proving very popular and interesting to watch, but my oh is going beserk with the noise outside the window :D. So I've made a second tray and put it further out into the garden a bit away from the house to attract them away from the house alltogeather.

I think that's the way to go! I can't stand the sight or sound of them, so the farther away the better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Of course, the important question is.... is it keeping them out of the house?

I too could watch them all day, but the OH shrieking is a bit much on the ears...

Tree wrote: »
    Of course, the important question is.... is it keeping them out of the house?

I too could watch them all day, but the OH shrieking is a bit much on the ears...

So far so good, once the jelly had run out in the windowsill tray they had migrated to the garden tray and their focus was there. There was the odd wanderer but nothing like it was pre tray.

Will have to see how it goes over the next few days but it strikes me that they are not as desperate as they were initially and at least somthing likes my overcooked jelly :D

Advertisement