Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surveyor didn't hand back the key

Options
  • 02-08-2017 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭

Okay, I'm opening this now because I'm all nerves.

We're due to close the sale of our house within the next couple of days.
    I hired an engineer to do a survey in June and while he was nice, I had to kick him a bit to get it done, once I did that he was really fast.

So the thing is, I got a call from the EA today that they want to put the keys together for the collection and they realized the surveyor didn't hand back the keys. He collected them at the EAs office because the house is vacant.
    They tried to get in touch with him and it seems he's abroad, I told them they might catch him via E-Mail. They ensured me to sort this out asap.

But I'm really all nerves now. What if there'll be troubles getting the keys back? What are we supposed to do then? Could we close the sale with a missing set of keys and just change locks?
    Jesus, I really don't need this kind of stress now.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Get a set of keys cut, and say he dropped them back to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Is it not the estate agents problem? He handed him the keys not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'd say it is. Still, if he's away for a few weeks now, that's bad for us, because we're on a schedule really.
    I just don't know what they can do right now other than calling him and sending him Emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

...__... wrote: »

+1, but to be fair to the EA, if he collected them and just didnt hand them back theres not much they can do.

No doubt they dont want to go to their client as it looks unprofessional even when not their fault.

Yes, that's it, she called me and asked me if I have any alternative way of contact, for them it's really embarrassing, especially when it comes up last minute (survey was done in June). All we want is just closing the sale and getting it done and dusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭swampgas

LirW wrote: »
    I'd say it is. Still, if he's away for a few weeks now, that's bad for us, because we're on a schedule really.
    I just don't know what they can do right now other than calling him and sending him Emails.

If you think it will block the sale just have the locks changed. A locksmith can change the barrel (not the whole lock) and give you a new key.

Any sane person buying a house should change the locks anyway, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I would have thought it was very common - even best practice - to change the locks when you get a new house; so not sure why one set of missing keys for a lock would delay the sale, no matter which party misplaced them.

Yes, that's it, she called me and asked me if I have any alternative way of contact, for them it's really embarrassing, especially when it comes up last minute (survey was done in June). All we want is just closing the sale and getting it done and dusted.

The EAs f up was not checking the key log daily. Anyways, have you signed contracts? Did your solicitor give you a closing date?

We signed, we were just waiting for one last piece of paperwork from the vendor's solicitor and he said we can close once he received that. It's on the way to him now so the EA wants to get the keys ready for collection.

Changing the locks, we intended this anyway.

Unless the key is the same key for multiple barrels, I really wouldnt worry about it. I'd just tell the EA to let you know if the key comes back prior to closing date.

If not a locksmith will be able to drill and replace the barrel and give you a new key, something which others above have pointed out, is probably wise anyway.

Its a really minor thing (although locksmiths do know how to charge!!!)

• Advertisement

Any idea what a locksmith will charge for a new lock? Completely forgot to do my research there.

I've heard it should be easy enough to do it yourself with a standard lock (which we have).

It sounds reasonable enough that this is the way to go.

Replacing the lock is easy - when you have a key.

Its the drilling out of the old lock that can be tricky, I wouldn't attempt it myself but you might be handier than I!!

No idea how much they'd charge, depends on where you are I guess. Mind you, if its a smaller operation they might charge less if you dont need an invoice (allegedly)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

I replaced a euro cylinder barrel recently myself. Cost €35 for the new barrel and about 10 mins to replace. Unsure if this is any help or if it's the same type lock.

markc1184 wrote: »
    I replaced a euro cylinder barrel recently myself. Cost €35 for the new barrel and about 10 mins to replace. Unsure if this is any help or if it's the same type lock.

Thanks a million, it's a normal barrel. Shouldn't be rocket science to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

...__... wrote:

He handed the keys to Ops agent. It's op that is responsible not ea.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bbudab

Just get a set of keys cut.
    Most new home owners change the locks anyway as a security measure so It probably won't matter in the end.
    When i bought my house two years ago I was handed just one key!
    Changed the locks immediately, you have no way of knowing how many sets of keys are out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Surveyor didn't hand back the key
    Did you pay them?
    bbudab wrote: »
    Just get a set of keys cut.
    But they don't have a key! :)

Yes, surveyor got paid.

Story was as following: I (buyer) told EA surveyor will come in, they said it's fine and surveyor should get in touch with them. Surveyor did so and forwarded me the mails where the EA stated he can collect the keys to carry out survey, house is vacant. Surveyor did the survey, sent me the report and said he'll bring the keys back next day. I paid the surveyor. That was in June. Today EA calls me to say surveyor didn't bring keys back.

I genuinely fail to see where it's my responsibility, I never had the keys but please enlighten me. Maybe I hired a sloppy surveyor, in that case, yes, that's on me.

Anyway, EA managed to contact the guy and he'll be back next week, maybe after 10 more reminder mails he'll manage to drop the keys back. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

LirW wrote:
    I genuinely fail to see where it's my responsibility, I never had the keys but please enlighten me. Maybe I hired a sloppy surveyor, in that case, yes, that's on me.

It was your agent (surveyor) who has the keys. You are responsible for anything he does or doesn't do.
    Having said that I can't see the keys being a big deal one way or another.
    Genuinely wish you luck and happiness in your new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Don't know where you live or what type of door you have, when we bought our house our solicitor advised us to change the locks. Also it had one of those high security keys that are a pain to cut. The door is a composite door with 5 point leavers .... but it is simple to change the lock barrel, one screw in the center of the door holds it in you pop it out, take a photo against a ruler for size, make sure the screw hole is visible. I went to a good hw store and hey gave me new lock and extra keys for less than 30 euros. While the EA may get most of the keys back there may be on in a neighbor's house they don't know of.

Tell the EA you will sort it yourself, don't let it hold up the sale and change the lock.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It was your agent (surveyor) who has the keys. You are responsible for anything he does or doesn't do.
    Having said that I can't see the keys being a big deal one way or another.
    Genuinely wish you luck and happiness in your new home.

That of course makes sense. Since it's not so much of a big deal and there is genuinely nothing in the house of value that could be pocketed, we just go ahead and change the locks, which we were planning to do anyway.

Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Yes to change the locks!

We did it the day we completed and got the keys this time. We learnt the hard way!

We bought our first flat and we were enjoying our first lazy weekend, when I heard the front door opening.
    Another agent, the flat was on with multiple agents, let himself in with a family of viewers early on a Saturday morning while we were just getting out of bed.

The agent who had sold it to us had not told the other agents it was off the market. So for the 6 weeks we were waiting from offer accepted to move in (it was abroad and quick), other agents were happily showing it unknown to us.

There could be keys keys with contractors, suveryors, agents, previous renters, etc. Definitely change it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I got my local hardware store to supply and change a barrel. Cost €80.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

If I am taking this up wrong then apologies - LirW is buying a house, organised a surveyor and EA handed over keys of vendors house to surveyor. Should EA not have met surveyor at house, opened and locked up as opposed to handing over a set of keys to a stranger and not getting any details from them or arranging return of the keys that day? They are responsible for not retrieving keys and absolutely should be embarrassed. Stop fretting about it.

If you change locks how would you explain that to the vendor should they wish to enter the house with their own keys prior to closing date?

Ghekko wrote: »
    If I am taking this up wrong then apologies - LirW is buying a house, organised a surveyor and EA handed over keys of vendors house to surveyor. Should EA not have met surveyor at house, opened and locked up as opposed to handing over a set of keys to a stranger and not getting any details from them or arranging return of the keys that day? They are responsible for not retrieving keys and absolutely should be embarrassed. Stop fretting about it.

If you change locks how would you explain that to the vendor should they wish to enter the house with their own keys prior to closing date?

It happened exactly the way you said it. EA was hired by the vendor, not me. I hired the surveyor.

I'd just change the locks once I got the keys, go to the house and have a locksmith set up already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Ok that makes more sense. The vendor will hand over their extra keys to the EA once they are done with house - take final meter reading etc. Once you get the keys, change locks and it won't matter that the other set is missing. We actually changed the lock when we discovered the EA had handed them out to the purchaser and he'd held onto them for over a week. We only gave the EA the new sets on closing as he had no need for them once survey was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Don't worry about it, the same thing happened with my house when the engineer drove home with the keys.

The physical key is irrelevant when it comes to the sale. It is only needed to let you into the house.

If you can get a spare from the seller, have a back door key or a neighbour has a copy you can get in.

Changing to locks is simple. Just open the door and you will see one screw inline with the barrell. Screw it out and slide the barrel out. Pop in the new barrel and screw it back in. Done 30 second job.

Thanks so much for all the advice.

Luckily there aren't any valuables in the house, the interior needs some work and the meter in the house is a pay meter.
    The vendor needs to send someone in next week for a exemption certificate and will hand his key over to the EA to get this done, everyone is just keen on closing.
    We'll just change the locks once we have them and it should be all grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

Don't worry about it, the same thing happened with my house when the engineer drove home with the keys.

The physical key is irrelevant when it comes to the sale. It is only needed to let you into the house.

If you can get a spare from the seller, have a back door key or a neighbour has a copy you can get in.

Changing to locks is simple. Just open the door and you will see one screw inline with the barrell. Screw it out and slide the barrel out. Pop in the new barrel and screw it back in. Done 30 second job.

You need to turn the key slightly before trying to remove the barrel as there is a little wing that stops the barrel from coming out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement