Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 * Male Dwarf Gourami

Options
  • 02-08-2017 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭

I was up in Aquatic Village over the weekend and picked up a pair of dwarf gourami. I didn't notice till I got home but it appears I've got two males instead of the intended male and female.

Can anyone confirm these are two male fish (bearing in mind they're young)?

423987.jpg

423989.jpg

Secondly, has anyone any experience of keeping two males in the one tank, it's a Vision 180.

Apologies for the poor photos, I can't take pics of my fish to save my life!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I'm not an expert but you'll know soon enough if they are 2 males. They'll challenge each other when they enter the other's territory, they'll build bubble nests (although it's not unheard of for a female to blow bubbles too).

A female should be drab in colour and have smaller fins but I've found I can't always tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I thought males would only build bubble nests if there was also a female in the tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I thought males would only build bubble nests if there was also a female in the tank?

I've had 3 Dwarf Gouramis and two of them would build small bubble nests daily.

I've seen videos where Bettas would build a full bubble nests and guard them against phantom fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Are they trying to kick the sh*t out of each other? That's a sure sign.

You may have a tank big enough for them to each have a territory, so they're happy. The only time I got a male/female combo he harassed her to death, so if you're getting more than one gourami I'd recommend getting several females.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

Well my initial cause for concern may have been well founded, despite me never observing any much interaction between the two, one of them was hardly moving yesterday and after a partial water change and normal water tests, he was dead this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Well my initial cause for concern may have been well founded, despite me never observing any much interaction between the two, one of them was hardly moving yesterday and after a partial water change and normal water tests, he was dead this morning.

They would have been fine usually. The problem here is that the second fish in your pictures is showing severe signs of the iridovirus. This is common in Singapore bred dwarf gourami. You don't really need to worry about it spreading to any other fish apart from the other dwarf gourami who most likely already has it.

You can avoid this in future by asking shops where their fish are imported from. While most fish are bred in Singapore some of the better shops buy from English suppliers who hold the fish for a while before moving on to the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

OnDraught wrote: »
    They would have been fine usually. The problem here is that the second fish is showing severe signs of the iridovirus. This is common in Singapore bred dwarf gourami. You don't really need to worry about it spreading to any other fish apart from the other dwarf gourami who most likely already has it.

You can avoid this in future by asking shops where their fish are imported from. While most fish are bred in Singapore some of the better shops buy from English suppliers who hold the fish for a while before moving on to the shops.

Interesting, I got them in Aquatic Village, who I always understood to be a reputable supplier.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Interesting, I got them in Aquatic Village, who I always understood to be a reputable supplier.

If they sold you them gouramis in the last couple of weeks they should have known there was something wrong with the second one. Unless it was a new member of staff. This may have been the case if they thought that was a male and female too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are the females not silver ? That’s what I was told in seahorse aquarium.

ted1 wrote: »
    Are the females not silver ? That’s what I was told in seahorse aquarium.

They are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement