Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NQTs teaching in the UK.

Options
  • 02-08-2017 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey folks,

Just wondering what peoples experience is when working with those agencies who recruit NQTs for UK posts? I've heard that it's extremely hard work, but I'm hoping to get advice from people who have made the move and hear their accounts, the good and the bad.

With panels being cleared, I know job prospects are probably looking up here, but I'd love to teach abroad for a while regardless, just for the experience.

Would love to hear any thoughts/perspectives from those who have 'been there and done that'.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭EmzBoBo

Have you tried using https://www.tes.com/jobs ?
    It's not an agency, but I used it to get a job in the UK.
    Whatever you do, avoid an agency called Engage Education!!
    Best of luck with the job hunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RonaldStump

Amazing, thanks so much! How did you find the workload while there? I've made the mistake of listening to second-hand reports and they paint a scary picture. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭EmzBoBo

Amazing, thanks so much! How did you find the workload while there? I've made the mistake of listening to second-hand reports and they paint a scary picture. :)

I'm actually an NQT too, so I'll only be starting in September... Looking at my timetable, and having had a good talk with the Principal, I think the workload looks ok (come back to me at midterm & I might have a different answer! :pac: )
    If you're an NQT, you have to be given a mentor that you can go to if you want to have a chat about anything to do with how you're finding teaching/if there's something bothering you etc..
    You also get a slightly reduced timetable for NQT planning, so if you're on a full time contract, you will have a few classes less than a full timetable for the NQT year.
    That's how it's done in England, I think Scotland might be slightly different though?
    The type of school you're in will also have a fair bit to do with how you get on, but that'd be the same at home...
    Hope this helps.
    If you haven't moved to the UK by Halloween, feel free to PM me, and I should have a better idea of how things are going by then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RonaldStump

Ah brilliant. That's so exciting for you, the very best of luck with everything!

Advertisement