Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental income question

Options
  • 02-08-2017 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Hypothetical situation.

You buy a house using the first time buyers deposit of 10% but continue to live in rented accommodation and rent out the house you bought on airbnb.

Do you have to pay tax on 100% of your airbnb income? Or can you use the income to pay off the mortgage, and other expenses within the house, and just pay tax on the profit?

And I assume if any of your income from your regular job is taxed at the top rate then all of your rental income is taxed at higher rate?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Tusky wrote: »
    Hypothetical situation.

You buy a house using the first time buyers deposit of 10% but continue to live in rented accommodation and rent out the house you bought on airbnb.

Thanks.

I think your bank will have an issue with this as you are NOT an owner occupier. By to let mortgages have a higher deposit requirement than owner occupier mortgages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Mortgage payments are a capital cost and not a business expense. They are not deductible for tax purposes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Askthe EA wrote: »
    I think your bank will have an issue with this as you are an owner occupier. By to let mortgages have a higher deposit requirement than owner occupier mortgages.

and higher interest rates

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Hypothetically it's also 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Mortgage payments are a capital cost and not a business expense. They are not deductible for tax purposes.

Thank you. What about other household expenses?
    Askthe EA wrote: »
    I think your bank will have an issue with this as you are NOT an owner occupier. By to let mortgages have a higher deposit requirement than owner occupier mortgages.

What if you lived there some of the time?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Tusky wrote: »
    Hypothetical situation.

Do you have to pay tax on 100% of your airbnb income? Or can you use the income to pay off the mortgage, and other expenses within the house, and just pay tax on the profit?

And I assume if any of your income from your regular job is taxed at the top rate then all of your rental income is taxed at higher rate?

Thanks.

Profit is calculated at everything above 80% of the interest portion.

So simple example,

Mortgage payment 1000
    Of that 1000, 500 is interest and 500 pays the loan
    Rental income is 1000 (just to keep it simple)

Profit is calculated as €600 as the interest portion is only 400 (80%).so you pay full tax and USC on €600 even though you have no extra cash as such from the rent.

There are standard allowances or expenses allowed.
    Have a quick chat with a tax consultant. Give him your details, tell him the mortgage and interest rate and he will tell you a projection of tax due. You can then see if it's worth it or not.

• Administrators Posts: 53,839 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think you would also need planning permission if you are going to let the house out on AirBnB as it's a change of use.

Advertisement