Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions Requested

Options
  • 02-08-2017 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Folks,

What would be your opinion about the below estate? Is it reasonably safe area for a young family? We do not drive at the moment so will have to take train to Dublin City.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/new-homes-for-sale/castleland-park-place-balbriggan-dublin-35409/

I am planning to visit the Showhouse so I would appreciate the opinions who live in or or around this area before I make this journey.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Honestly- the area is fine- however, the lack of your own transport will be an issue before long. Yes- it has a train station- in the town centre- which is a bit of a walk. To put this into perspective- Castleland is roughly half way between Ardgillan and Balbriggan town centre.

If you're happy enough to factor a 10 minute walk (possibly a bit longer if children are involved) to get a train or bus- fine- otherwise, while I have absolutely nothing against the area whatsoever- I'd seriously suggest you need to get your own transport.

Ps- the show house and gardens- do look spot on- however, contact the developer, as many of the more conventional house types are gone already.

If you're happy enough to factor a 10 minute walk (possibly a bit longer if children are involved) to get a train or bus- fine- otherwise, while I have absolutely nothing against the area whatsoever- I'd seriously suggest you need to get your own transport.

Google maps estimates it at a 23 minute walk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Google maps estimates it at a 23 minute walk.

I seem to be massively underestimating people's walking speeds in this forum recently- I had Kilmainham to the IFSC down at 15 minutes in the last few days- wishful thinking on my part.........

OP- you're going to need your own transport- relying on public transport is all well and good- but wait until you have a cold and wet winter morning- and its dark when you're leaving in the morning- and again going home in the evening. Its not a pleasant thought that you'd have a 20 min + walk in the cold and wet to your front door- after battling people for a place on the train (its not on the DART).

Its not very appealing.

I seem to be massively underestimating people's walking speeds in this forum recently- I had Kilmainham to the IFSC down at 15 minutes in the last few days- wishful thinking on my part.........

I saw that post and very nearly refferenced it, but didn't want to come across as cheeky.

OP- you're going to need your own transport- relying on public transport is all well and good- but wait until you have a cold and wet winter morning- and its dark when you're leaving in the morning- and again going home in the evening. Its not a pleasant thought that you'd have a 20 min + walk in the cold and wet to your front door- after battling people for a place on the train (its not on the DART).

+1 on that, and I say that as someone who doesn't drive myself. I'm lucky in that the luas is only a 5 minute walk from where I am currently, but the short comings of public transport are a daily inconvenience.

Edit: OP, what would you do if the train drivers went on strike?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

All valid points and of course the thought of walking 25 odd minutes on a wet morning with a young family would push me towards buying a car and no offense but I honestly wouldnt take train drivers striking into account when buying a house, if you start worrying about stuff like that you will end up living in an apartment in the city centre for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

The 101 Bus Eireann bus goes from Balbriggan to town (actually drogheda to town via balbriggan, swords and airport), think there is 101x (express) also, and there is a stop about 10 min walk from castlelands which isn't too bad, so look into that. That said with a family I would look at getting your own transport.
    There is also recently enough a new secondary built more or less in castlelands which is handy. I wouldn't be mad on Balbriggan but its not a bad spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Honestly- the area is fine- however, the lack of your own transport will be an issue before long. Yes- it has a train station- in the town centre- which is a bit of a walk. To put this into perspective- Castleland is roughly half way between Ardgillan and Balbriggan town centre.

Ps- the show house and gardens- do look spot on- however, contact the developer, as many of the more conventional house types are gone already.

Thanks very much for honest opinions folks.

We are planning to buy our own car in the near future. The reason we have not bought it yet because we would like to save as much as possible for the house. Once I know how much our outgoings will be then we will buy the car accordingly. Our budget is €275k max to buy the house so I am afraid we do not have too many options.

I walk to Tara Street station Mon-Fri to catch the DART. It takes me approx. 25-30 minutes so I suppose I can walk to Balbriggan train station from Castlelands. We do not have children yet and there is no immediate plan to have one.

We went to see the below house and we loved the estate. Kids were playing outside and green area was tidy and no sign of litter and the shopping centre was only 5 minutes walk and train station was only 12-15 minutes walk from the house. However, the house is 15 years old but, I think the house will require repairs such as door locks, taps, shower head, limescale remedy and so on.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/balbriggan/23-westbrook-green-balbriggan-dublin-1498951/

We are planning to visit the Showhouse next week in Castlelands so I will update the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Its not very appealing.

Google maps walking estimates are for 20 stone American pensioners. I always half them when timing a nice leisurely walk, normal walking pace. You can knock a bit more off if you want to pick up the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

OP there are a number of secondhand homes in Kilbarrack at the moment @ 275K. Obviously you won't get the grant for FTBs. While the area has a bad rep from 30 years ago, it's perfectly fine* today and if you're willing to go for a smaller house (c.80sqm vs 108sqm) you'd get something 15 minutes from town on a DART line on your door step. D12 is also another option.

If you're dead-set on a larger new build though looks like you've a good spot there.

*Same old issues of dogs barking and alarms but I think that fairly standard. Kids in my area are all very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Great transport links from Balbriggan to Dublin:

Irish Rail

There's also a town bus service from castlelands roundabout to the train station!! http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1497347159-B1.pdf

Bus Eireann

Dublin Bus no. 33 (via coastal towns, nice trip but too long for a commute!)

Private Bus operators from millfield

Only 5 mins drive to the M1 if/when you do get a car.

• Advertisement

OP there are a number of secondhand homes in Kilbarrack at the moment @ 275K. Obviously you won't get the grant for FTBs. While the area has a bad rep from 30 years ago, it's perfectly fine* today and if you're willing to go for a smaller house (c.80sqm vs 108sqm) you'd get something 15 minutes from town on a DART line on your door step. D12 is also another option.

If you're dead-set on a larger new build though looks like you've a good spot there.

*Same old issues of dogs barking and alarms but I think that fairly standard. Kids in my area are all very nice.

I will definitely check Kilbarrack and Dublin 12 area. Thanks very much for suggesting this. We will be more than happy with a decent size house so lets see.

We just got approval in principal after too much hassle with Ulster Bank (incompetent College Green branch) so we have now 6 months to find a suitable property. Fingers crossed.

I guess time to update this thread.

We have managed to pay the booking deposit for new development in Adamstown. It is 3 bed mid-terraced home (approx. 110 sq. mt.) so we both are very happy and its only 15-20 minutes to Hueston Station by train. I had to stretch my budget, but my parents and friends are there to give me helping hand so all is well so far. Now I just have to wait for the contracts and need to sign and send it back with 10 % deposit (minus €5,000) within 28 days to get the free appliances. I think the contract will be unconditional and am not sure about it at the moment.

No modification/alteration is allowed so I was wondering how to get extra electricity points and Cat5 cables or kitchen island?!?

Now I need to know/search where to buy tiles, furniture, beds, carpets, wireless alarm system, bathscreen, water purifier and so on at reasonable costs. Needless to say any guidance will be much appreciated!

Again thanks to all of you for your help and guidance.

Advertisement